The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London
Old 9th September 2015
Hardware Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London

Roli Seaboard RISE

Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-1.jpg

Shape your sound in completely new ways
Start the Seaboard RISE in Piano mode and then explore new dimensions of touch interaction. Customise sensitivity to match your own playing style. Create new sonic possiblities by mapping sound parameters to unique gestures.

Endless possiblities for every studio
Compatible with a variety of software and hardware synthesisers, as well as DAWs across OSX, Windows, and other platforms.

A new language of touch
The Seaboard RISE’s five dimensions of touch are easily mapped and can be controlled directly from its unique touch faders.

Bundled with Equator for RISE
A custom-built multi-platform software synthesiser designed exclusively for incredible real-time modulation

On the Road
The Seaboard RISE comes in a beautiful protective case

Design-unplugged
MIDI over Bluetooth, battery-powered, less than an inch thick.

The Rolli Seaboard Rise controller will cost just $799 (£599) and Shipping in October
  • Affordable
  • Midi over Bluetooth
  • Available for pre order now from Roli
  • 5 touch elements
  • Strike
  • Press
  • Horizontal
  • Vertical
  • Lift off

here
Attached Thumbnails
Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_1095_0.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-1.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-2.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-3.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-5.jpg  

Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-6.jpg  
Old 9th September 2015
Exclusive Preview shots of Roli Seaboard RISE for Gearslutz!
Attached Thumbnails
Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_3045_0.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_9198_1.jpg  
Old 9th September 2015
Roli Seaboard RISE demo room
Attached Thumbnails
Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_6893_0.jpg   Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_3336_1.jpg  
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Video of Jordan Rudess wanking away on it, or it didn't happen!
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Paid advert?
Old 9th September 2015
No! Just got an invite to the Roli Seaboard RISE party and it's a 20 min drive from where I live!
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Neat-o!

That just got me interested in that for the first time, mainly, because it's affordable :D
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah this has me interested, was that the Equator software we was hearing?
Old 9th September 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Yes! Here are the new Equator parameters that the RISE can now control
Attached Thumbnails
Roli Seaboard RISE - product launch, London-image_9346_0.jpg  
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, impressive sounding.. very realistic..... Im gonna seriously think this over and may pre-order....
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for the updates! Tell us something about how it differs from Grand.
Old 9th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil T View Post
Thanks for the updates! Tell us something about how it differs from Grand.
RISE has smaller "keys," and fewer of them. It also employs Bluetooth MIDI. It does, however, have the controller section on the left for additional controller functionality.

GRAND does have an embedded version of Equator, so it can function stand-alone (RISE is strictly a controller) - subsequently, GRAND has audio and headphone outs, which RISE does not.
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Nut

Good info, thanks again! Few more questions: smaller keys as in thinner or just shorter? And what about materials and the feel of the surface? Is gesture recognition precision similar?
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear
Pre order completed
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

What use is the trackpad for?
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

I think this is great.
Give humans a new way to interface with technology and who knows where it will lead.
For example, it is really interesting watching the iPhone watch's uses evolve. I don't think apple tried to conceive of all the uses before they made it. They just gave us a new interface and let developers run with it.

or for those who don't like technology changing rapidly- if I were a smiley face I would give it a big thumbs up
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

If there is keyboard note control on an EQ, is it configurable enough to control the volume of each band by sliding up and down on the surface of each note?
Cheers
Lach

Last edited by lbarratt; 10th September 2015 at 03:13 AM..
Old 10th September 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Sold…glad to see something like this.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

Some maybe not so obvious info from the FAQ:

Is the playing surface of the RISE the same as the GRAND?

Unlike the Seaboard GRAND which is hand-built in London, the RISE is a mass produced instrument, and the construction of the Keywaves has been altered to accomodate that. The Keywaves are slightly shallower and the texture is different.

What are the RISE's modes?

The Seaboard RISE has two modes which are accessed by pressing the Power/Mode button at the bottom left of the Keywaves. The button's central light indicates the mode you are currently using.

MIDI mode: In this mode the RISE's faders and control pad behave as controllers. They send MIDI CC messages which can be assigned to a synth parameter in Equator or other virtual instrument.

Expression mode: In this mode, the 3 faders adjust the RISE's sensitivity to Pitch Correction, Slide, and Pressure.

What does the RISE control pad do?

The X-Y pad gives you the ability to control two seperate parameters in a single gesture. When you press the pad, the X and Y positions are sent as controller messages so you could, for example, assign X to filter cutoff and Y to LFO speed.
Old 10th September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Some of it was Equator, some was other soft synths
Here for the gear

Quote:
What use is the trackpad for?
You can set the trackpad to send CCs, which equator uses as modulation sources.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

I was very interested in the Seaboard(s) after Musikmesse, but they still where Mac only and not class compliant USB when I had some money and time to spare, so I got a Linnstrument for now...

This new one is probably not the one for me. 2 Octaves are super small. They also said something about smaller keys (minikeys???). Also: Don´t really like the design. The design of the Grands works well for me, but this one....

There are however some interesting news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Compatible with a variety of software and hardware synthesisers, as well as DAWs across OSX, Windows, and other platforms.
[*]Vertical [*]Lift off
It seems they are finally getting the Windows version of the ground. Also: Release velocity (thats probably what lift off is supposed to be) and vertical are/where not implemented in the Grads. I wonder if those will be updated. Would be nice.

Now build a 61 (or even better 73) key version with Equator being fully editable from the front panel with a reasonable amount of knobs for about 3500$ and I am sold.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedAtRoli View Post
You can set the trackpad to send CCs, which equator uses as modulation sources.
Ted, I just pre-ordered.

I wa considering using RISE through a Kenton USB host and direct into my Vsynth XT, Juno 106 (kiwi mod) or Moog voyager. Do you have any experience of doing this (using a hub in order to avoid going through a computer (PC))?

My concern is that too much midi data may cause issues with the kenton hub or possibly the voyager itself

Also, do any traditional sounds come with RISE . I read that there is a synth (Equator), but are there more trad sounds configured to play expressively out of the box with RISE (such as the great piano sound that Jamie Callum was playing with in your promo video)?

Cheers.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

I too am close to pre-ordering but I want to know how its gonna play with Ableton, wether Roli gonna provide template setups for Ableton and any other DAWs & vsts....
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

I had the opportunity to try the roli at CES in NYC this year. I was really impressed by the way the tactical experience translated into more expressive playing, especially for pads. I think it's going to be a very popular new controller once more people give it a try.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbo View Post
I had the opportunity to try the roli at CES in NYC this year. I was really impressed by the way the tactical experience translated into more expressive playing, especially for pads. I think it's going to be a very popular new controller once more people give it a try.
yup. The videos really highlighted how expressive it can be. I guess I need to knuckle down and work on my expression before mine arrives. Got a ways to go.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear
Full Specs....

25 Keywaves
505 mm x 210 mm x 22.86 mm / 2.8 kg
(19.88 in x 8.27 in x 0.9 in / 6.17 lbs)
Continuous pedal input (1/4" jack)
USB B port (MIDI out and power)
USB A port (for charging peripherals) 9–12V 2A DC port
Internal battery
Full MIDI compatibility over USB and Bluetooth
Bundled with Equator, the world’s first purpose-built, multi-dimensional software synthesiser
OS X 10.8+ / Windows 7+ / iOS
Intel Core i5 2.5GHz or faster recommended
4 GB RAM minimum / 8 GB RAM recommended
2 GB available disk space for Equator installation
USB 2.0+ port for USB compatibility

Note: USB and/or Midi over Bluetooth.. not just Bluetooth...

Last edited by Mag66; 11th September 2015 at 02:50 AM..
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

I would consider this without the Equator software bundled in.

The average cost for a decent soft synth is around 200 usd which
would bring this 2 octave keyboard to around 4-500 dollars.

Most punters already have Omnisphere, Kontakt libraries etc

Cheers
Old 11th September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
Anybody know the dimensions to the rise model? Its the smallest version.
The dimensions are in the earlier post of mine in this thread, along with all the other salient details.
📝 Reply