The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shattered Glass Audio - Code Red Free (Console Emulation)
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Software Shattered Glass Audio - Code Red Free (Console Emulation)

Free Download

Code Red Free is inspired by a classic, all tube, British console form the late 60s. The original console was known for its EQ, bold and punchy character, and the warmth it imparted. The Beatles recorded most of their material using this, and other versions of this console. Easily recognized overdriven sound of the Beatles' Revolution was created by chaining two preamps from this console. Shattered Glass Audio has gone to considerable lengths to find accurate information and reproduce the original EQ curves and accurately model the preamp.

Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Bring on the paid version and take me money !
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Looks great, can't wait to try it!
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Man, you have to gain stage it EXTREMELY carefully with bass heavy stuff... it is heavy. I mean, REALLY heavy.
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Maniac
Man, that's an awesome freebie. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks for posting this DJ Anthony. I LOVE this company's SGA1566 MKII tube emulation, which I think is possibly the best tube emulation plug-in available.

I just tried this Code Red on some vocals and I think it's also very good. This company's modeling of distortion (in SGA, Code Red and their guitar amp ACE) is at the very top when compared to similar types of plug-ins.

I'll be donating because I want them to create a more fully featured and flexible guitar amp sim. ACE just does one thing, but it's very good at that one thing.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Is this only for buss duties or can you use it as a channel emu? What's the latency and cpu usage? I have no chance to try it in a few days but the concept sounds awesome. And last, is this calibrated for -18?
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Is this only for buss duties or can you use it as a channel emu? What's the latency and cpu usage? I have no chance to try it in a few days but the concept sounds awesome. And last, is this calibrated for -18?
It adds distortion/warmth anywhere from subtle to massive. It has a rudimentary EQ which is effective at creating presence similar to Slate's recent LIFT plug-in. I think you could dial it in according to taste many on individual instruments or busses. I would hesitate to use it on the master bus unless I was going for a very specific 60s/70s type of sound. I was running with a buffer of 128 and didn't notice any issues really. The CPU hit seems pretty minor, like a typical EQ or channel plug-in. I don't think it's calibrated for -18.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Tried it, love it. Really great sounding plugin and the saturation is killer (as expected).
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Addict

Good for free but not as good as the Waves Red
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Head

let's try it out and see what it can do
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Pleasantly surprised by this, will explore further and get back with comments but so far I like it
Old 23rd August 2015
SGA
Gear Nut

Thank you all for downloading and trying the plug-in, and for the praises.

@DJ AnthonyW
Thanks for posting this announcement so quickly! You've beat us to it by a hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Latency is 11 samples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
It adds distortion/warmth anywhere from subtle to massive. It has a rudimentary EQ which is effective at creating presence similar to Slate's recent LIFT plug-in. I think you could dial it in according to taste many on individual instruments or busses. I would hesitate to use it on the master bus unless I was going for a very specific 60s/70s type of sound. I was running with a buffer of 128 and didn't notice any issues really. The CPU hit seems pretty minor, like a typical EQ or channel plug-in. I don't think it's calibrated for -18.
Ditto what Mars Bot wrote regarding where to use the plug-in and about the impact on sound.
VU meters are calibrated such that 0VU corresponds to -18 dbFS. Keep in mind that meters are VU meters and as such do not catch fast transients.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
@DJ AnthonyW
Thanks for posting this announcement so quickly! You've beat us to it by a hair.
Not a problem! I saw it posted on KVR's news, but no threads yet. If there's anything you want in the first post that's not there I'd be happy to add it.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I don't think it's calibrated for -18.
I don'tknow the exact number (if any at all) I just know that as things get a
LITTLE heavy (bass heavy, that is) - one must be extremely careful with how hot
he's driving it - or else it will choke and fart.

MY magic number (with sub bassy material) seem to be -20dBFS.

May I ask what will the commercial version bring to the table ? will there be one
at all ?

Last edited by A Tan; 23rd August 2015 at 08:05 AM..
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Addict

Sounds nice.
Reaper 4 cannot detect the latency so when in parallel, the combined sound is like phasor.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest View Post
Sounds nice.
Reaper 4 cannot detect the latency so when in parallel, the combined sound is like phasor.
Shoot, I'm using Reaper 4. Anyway, I'm gonna give this a go today. I'm also using Satson, would be too much when combined?
Old 23rd August 2015
SGA
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
May I ask what will the commercial version bring to the table ? will there be one
at all ?
Whether there will be a commercial version or not depends on the level of donations. If we decide to go with a commercial version, the supporters who donated more than just a symbolic amount will receive the commercial version for free; sort of like crowd funding model. We did that with SGA1566 MkII where people who donated 50% or more of the SGA1566 MkII's price towards SGA1566 received SGA1566 MkII for free.
Of course, everyone who donates has our gratitude and can rest assured that there will be other free, donation-supported, products.
As for features. We haven't settled on the list yet. Potential candidates are: a beefier and more flexible EQ, one more preamp model, mid-side processing, etc.

Quote:
Plug-in should report the latency to the host. We'll see if there is a bug there and fix it in the next release. Are you using Windows or OS X?
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Plug-in should report the latency to the host. We'll see if there is a bug there and fix it in the next release. Are you using Windows or OS X?
Reaper 4 x64 and VST x64 in Windows 7 SP1 x64.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whether there will be a commercial version or not depends on the level of donations. If we decide to go with a commercial version, the supporters who donated more than just a symbolic amount will receive the commercial version for free; sort of like crowd funding model. We did that with SGA1566 MkII where people who donated 50% or more of the SGA1566 MkII's price towards SGA1566 received SGA1566 MkII for free.
Of course, everyone who donates has our gratitude and can rest assured that there will be other free, donation-supported, products.
Well, I'm happy to report I'm one of those customers, as of... now

CHEERS !

BTW

Am I entitled to a version w/o the "donate" button ?

Last edited by A Tan; 23rd August 2015 at 02:00 PM..
Old 23rd August 2015
SGA
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, I'm happy to report I'm one of those customers, as of... now

CHEERS !
Thanks!

Quote:
Am I entitled to a version w/o the "donate" button ?
There is no version without the "donate" button. Even we, at SGA, use the version with the donate button. We might release a no "donate" button version for the donors in the future. For now, the button stays. You can suggest a different, not-so-in-your-face-ugly, donate button if the current one is too distracting.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Really nice !!! Like what happens when I start to tweak it and gain stage it with other plugins.

Only tried it on drums so far.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sounds nice.
It has a wet/dry knob. Have you tried that? It won't fix latency but it might stop the phasor sound.
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

I just tested out the Code Red on a few sources and I really liked it. The parallel processing (wet/dry) option really opens up the possibilities. I am finding it works best when driving the input rather hard (the amount depends on the material, of course) until I hear a level of distortion and saturation that I like (context removed), then I dial back towards dry until it is subtle enough.

Even with just a smidgen of wet mixed in, the soundstage is still opened up in such a way that reminds me of a nice tube compressor with mastering settings. Then of course, you can use it to overdrive a clean guitar or give a clean drum kit a real gritty bite. I just level matched and A/Bed a beat from NI 80s Drummer with and without the Code Red and the with version (must've been about 5% wet) really brought the room and ambience out in a tube-like manner and even added some punch and snap. I also dialed in a tad extra top end, which also blends in really musically with the dry signal. Thumbs up, gents!
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

phenomenal plugin. sounds nothing like plugin. It reminds me nebula based plugins. congratulations
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

Bring on them (user) presets !
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Nut

Amazing this plugin is!!
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Guru
Gonna try it. Can never have too much saturation! I also keep the fuzz balls off my sweaters.....!
Old 24th August 2015
Gee
Lives for gear

nice little plug, worth a donation for sure.
Old 24th August 2015
CKK
Lives for gear

Instant deep image. Dont have to touch the knobs - just letting audio pass through is (most often) enough.

This paired with Harrison mixbus and I'm very close to not having to use my vintage outboard and console (neumann w495stb and Tore Seem 72' console).

No doubt I Will donate.

Last edited by CKK; 27th August 2015 at 07:34 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search