The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studiodevices releases French Infernal Reverb – Impulse Response Library
Old 19th July 2015
News Desk Editor

Software Studiodevices releases French Infernal Reverb – Impulse Response Library

Studiodevices releases French Infernal Reverb – Impulse Response Library-fijfccbg.png

"Our latest impulse library captures one of the most interesting and rarest multi-effect devices of the early 80s. It was used by many successful British and US-producers and movie scoring & sound design artists from 1983 on. It is indeed a vintage sounding reverb that covers this 80s sound in many amazing ways. As it does not utilize any reverb modulation, it is perfectly reproduced with convolution technique. Today the original hardware is hard to find but if you want to have that sound, you simply can use our library. The French Infernal Reverb is originally a mono-to-stereo reverb, but beside of that, with convolution you also can use it in true-stereo. Sun rises when you use it in conjunction with old drum machines, vocals or vintage synthesizers. Its early 16 bit linear A/D-D/A converters where state of the art and made that 80s mid-fidelity sound, as they did not have the bandwidth of modern converters. Of course we captured it thru the analogue stage via top-class-converters."

CONTENT
  • All files are stereo, 32-Bit, WAV-format.
  • The library consists of 340 files. Size is around 480 MB uncompressed.
  • Availability: immediately by download

Link : STUDIODEVICES, Reflections LE, Impulse Responses, Library, Faltungshall, Convolution
Attached Thumbnails
Studiodevices releases French Infernal Reverb – Impulse Response Library-fijfccbg.png  
Old 19th July 2015
Very interested. Might be a good idea to have more examples on the website to check out though. Dry vs Wet in a couple of various examples ?
Nice anyhow !
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Sounds really interesting, I like the audio demos!
Old 20th July 2015
Here for the gear

OMG !!

Finally

For those who do not recognize. This is an impulse library of the old Publison Infernal Machine IM90. The IM90 was used for example in many Prince productions. I also love the good old 80s Stock Aitken Waterman tracks, they also used it a lot.

Sound examples are promising, just bought it! Curious to listen to the impulses in the evening.
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Maniac

I bought the library and have a lot of fun with this huge amount of impulse responses, very inspiring, great job!!!
Old 25th July 2015
Here for the gear

I just made a few sound examples. I like the 80s mood of this lib very much, it is kind of dense but with limited bandwidth and some nice character.

Attached Files

FunkGuitar_LiveRoom.mp3 (939.0 KB, 2694 views)

ElecBass_SmallChamber.mp3 (1.01 MB, 2498 views)

AltoSax_SmallChamber.mp3 (1.01 MB, 2527 views)

SynthBass_SmallRoom2.mp3 (1.28 MB, 2453 views)

SynthBass_Room.mp3 (1.28 MB, 2470 views)

Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear
This reverb is the proverbial "fairy dust." You can sprinkle it on a lot of stuff and it can impart a musical vibe without being overt or in your face. It's easy to see why these Publison units have gained their reputation. Though I've never heard the original unit, StudioDevices seem to have captured a real vibe with these IRs. And there are many well-organized variations of room size and other parameters. This thing has a bizarre personality that might not sound that great soloed but really works in a mix.

My favorite convolution player is the Vengeance sound VPS Impulse plug-in, which I think is the best convolution plug-in out there right now and these IRs really sound great through that. Through SIR2, Reverberate, and IQ-Reverb they also sound very good.
Old 27th July 2015
Damn, I only work with English language projects. If I ever get a gig in French I'll be sure to check this out.
Old 27th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post

My favorite convolution player is the Vengeance sound VPS Impulse plug-in, which I think is the best convolution plug-in out there right now and these IRs really sound great through that. Through SIR2, Reverberate, and IQ-Reverb they also sound very good.
What's so special about the Vengeance convo plug?
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
What's so special about the Vengeance convo plug?
To me it sounds better than the next best IR plug-in which for me is HOFA IQ-Reverb. After that comes SIR2 and then Reverberate and far down the list is Altiverb (disclaimer: I only have Altiverb 6). It's pretty easy to hear when you load the same IR and switch between the plug-ins. I think you can demo the Vengeance FX bundle that has the Impulse in it if you want to check. Also, the controls of typical reverb parameters are set up in an easy-to-use fashion.
Old 27th July 2015
Quote:
To me it sounds better than the next best IR plug-in which for me is HOFA IQ-Reverb. After that comes SIR2 and then Reverberate and far down the list is Altiverb (disclaimer: I only have Altiverb 6). It's pretty easy to hear when you load the same IR and switch between the plug-ins. I think you can demo the Vengeance FX bundle that has the Impulse in it if you want to check. Also, the controls of typical reverb parameters are set up in an easy-to-use fashion.
That is unexpected - something under the hood happening probably. After all this is convolution, "its supposed to sound the same" although I'd generally agree with you that some sound better than others. However, I use Avid Spaces on PT and Reverence on Cubase, so I never had the chance to do some comprehensive and fair tests since they're both exclusives to their respective DAWs.

I don't see the Vengeance available as a single-plugin for purchase, just within a bundle, is that correct?

I'd like cross-platform IR plugin, genuinely interested in that.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

I don't see the Vengeance available as a single-plugin for purchase, just within a bundle, is that correct?

I'd like cross-platform IR plugin, genuinely interested in that.

Cheers
Yes, it's only part of that bundle. I didn't buy the bundle for that but it turned out to be the best part I didn't bother with it for a long time because I had SIR2 and then IQ-Reverb. One day I tried an A/B and was really surprised at the clear difference. If you demo it, turn off the limiter which defaults to on.

The other stuff in that bundle is good but not great IMHO. Their second FX bundle is really whacky with a lot of glitchy type plug-ins that work well in electronic music to get creative sounds. I also like their multiband comp which sounds quite good.

Last edited by MarsBot; 27th July 2015 at 06:52 PM..
Old 27th July 2015
Quote:
Yes, it's only part of that bundle. I didn't buy the bundle for that but it turned out to be the best part I didn't bother with it for a long time because I had SIR2 and then IQ-Reverb. One day I tried and A/B and was really surprised at the clear difference. If you demo it, turn off the limiter which defaults to on.

The other stuff in that bundle is good but not great IMHO. Their second FX bundle is really whacky with a lot of glitchy type plug-ins that work well in electronic music to get creative sounds. I also like their multiband comp which sounds quite good.
I see, thanks for the heads up.

SIR2 doesn't have AAX so it's out of my table and IQ-Reverb is just too expensive for me at the moment, so I'm inclined towards Reverberate or the new Audiothing plug as both are more affordable.

Casey (Briscati) hinted at a recent thread that him and Liquid Sonics are working on a new convo-based plug that will feature the Briscati IRs, so I might just sit quiet for now until more news emerges.
Old 28th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see, thanks for the heads up.

SIR2 doesn't have AAX so it's out of my table and IQ-Reverb is just too expensive for me at the moment, so I'm inclined towards Reverberate or the new Audiothing plug as both are more affordable.

Casey (Briscati) hinted at a recent thread that him and Liquid Sonics are working on a new convo-based plug that will feature the Briscati IRs, so I might just sit quiet for now until more news emerges.
Now that would be very cool , and i would grab it asap !!! this french unit sounds very cool .
Old 28th July 2015
Took me straight to my old Depeche Mode mixtapes.
Old 28th August 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry if this question is ignorant. But can anyone confirm that this library works in Avid TL Space?
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have or know where i can find the original preset names?
Old 1st February 2020
Here for the gear

IR Files

Reviving this thread:Since the link seems to be broken, does anyone still have the IR files for the Publison IM or could direct me to the correct site where I could get them?

Thanks so much!
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMusic View Post
OMG !!

Finally

For those who do not recognize. This is an impulse library of the old Publison Infernal Machine IM90. The IM90 was used for example in many Prince productions. I also love the good old 80s Stock Aitken Waterman tracks, they also used it a lot.

Sound examples are promising, just bought it! Curious to listen to the impulses in the evening.
Only the sampling function of the Infernal Machine was ever used with Prince, never the reverbs, or any of the other effects.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search