The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - Convolution Plugin
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - Convolution Plugin - DEMO AVAILABLE + Update v1.0

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce the release of Fog Convolver. Fog Convolver is a convolution plugin that applies the sonic character of an impulse response to another sound in real time.

The plugin can be used to add reverberation, create special effects, and apply an acoustic impulse captured from audio equipment.

The factory bank features more than 250 impulse responses made from spaces, analog and digital equipment, speakers, organic sources, and more. For a complete list, click here: http://www.audiothing.net/docs/Audio...ctory_Bank.pdf

Details
  • - Price: €65 / $75
    - 250+ Impulse Responses
    - Lightweight real time Convolution Engine
    - Impulse Response Export (drag to DAW/export to WAV)
    - Preset Browser with customizable categories, tags, rating, and more
    - Formats: VST, AU, and AAX (32/64bit)
    - Platforms: OSX, Windows

Video Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4gJL61C_34

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdu7Kcv3Uc

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/audiothing/sets/fog-convolver

Product Page: Fog Convolver | AudioThing

Last edited by audiothing; 23rd July 2015 at 06:11 PM..
Old 24th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Looks very nice. Is it zero latency design?
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This is cool

Old 25th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 View Post
Looks very nice. Is it zero latency design?
Well, I would say it's pretty close to zero and definitely good for real time applications. You need to consider the time for the FFT operations but unless you have an old CPU you won't notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
This is cool

Thanks
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Btw ...

Why Fog ?

Don't feel no foggy about it ...

Old 25th June 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thats a fantastic price
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I never got into impulse stuff, so I never learned about it, but it sorta seems to do what a vocoder does in some way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

Anyway, this is cool and I'll keep my eyes on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why Fog ?
It was quite hard to choose the right name for a convolution plugin. The convolution of two functions is often written as f * g and sometimes the tensor product symbol is used instead: f βŠ— g
So Fog looked like a nice name, if you also consider how fog can "blend" in a landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I never got into impulse stuff, so I never learned about it, but it sorta seems to do what a vocoder does in some way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

Anyway, this is cool and I'll keep my eyes on it.
Phase Vocoding and Convolution uses the same principle: using one signal to modify another signal.
While phase vocoding takes two signals in real time, convolution takes one signal in real time (the input) and a static impulse response.
The main difference is that the length of the processed output is different. With convolution, the output length will be the sum of the input length and IR length, so you can create reverbs/tails.
With phase vocoding, the output length will be the same as the two inputs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
It was quite hard to choose the right name for a convolution plugin. The convolution of two functions is often written as f * g and sometimes the tensor product symbol is used instead: f βŠ— g
So Fog looked like a nice name, if you also consider how fog can "blend" in a landscape
Ok, I see you

Even so, fog is still associated with a dim, uncoloured kind of atmosphere to me,
by hey, thats just me.

I am seriously considering buying this just the same ...

Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm interested...I like the concept and we need more of those...
Old 25th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyoudothisss??????

Oh man, I'm going to be so poor this summer. =]
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaded View Post
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyoudothisss??????...
lol, this!
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ok, I see you

Even so, fog is still associated with a dim, uncoloured kind of atmosphere to me,
by hey, thats just me.

I am seriously considering buying this just the same ...
heh thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos View Post
I'm interested...I like the concept and we need more of those...
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaded View Post
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyoudothisss??????

Oh man, I'm going to be so poor this summer. =]
I couldn't resist...
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Phase Vocoding and Convolution uses the same principle: using one signal to modify another signal.
While phase vocoding takes two signals in real time, convolution takes one signal in real time (the input) and a static impulse response.
The main difference is that the length of the processed output is different. With convolution, the output length will be the sum of the input length and IR length, so you can create reverbs/tails.
With phase vocoding, the output length will be the same as the two inputs.
Interesting.. Gonna download the demo whenever it's available!
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
YES! Demodemodemodemo!!!
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Demo Available at the bottom of the product page: Fog Convolver | AudioThing

Update v1.0.2
– Fixed Windows compatibility issues
– Added β€œImport IR Folder”

You can now import your own IR folders (.WAV) as banks inside Fog Convolver.
Click on More -> Import IR Folder and choose your IR folder. A sub-folder with the .atp presets will be automatically generated.
You can organize your IRs in sub-folders, each subfolders will be added as a Category. After that you can add tags, author details and rating by manually saving each preset.

To update Fog Convolver please re-download it using the link provided in your "Delivery Information" email.
You may also update it downloading the demo, just be sure not to install the Factory Bank as it will be a lite version.
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There was a problem with the path of the demo Factory bank, so...

Demo installers updated!
Please download again and perhaps remove the (probably) corrupted demo Factory Bank.
For MAC users is in /Library/Application Support/AudioThing
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks to your feedback we are already working on a new update.

Many asked if it's possible to just load the IRs without loading the preset parameters. It's already possible by clicking on More -> Settings and then enable Load IR only (lock parameters).
It's not very practical so in the next update I'm adding a lock next to the preset bar:

When the lock is on you can just scroll the IRs in the presets without changing the parameters.
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thank you Audiothing for this plug-in! I've been wanting to use my old Tritone Digital Colortone (which only works for Macs) on my Windows machine for years and Fog Convolver allows me to use all those cool equipment IRs from Colortone and then edit them even more deeply in Fog Convolver! This is an amazing piece of software, and I am loving it! The provided IRs from Audiothing are really great too! Sorry to sound like a fanboy but I'm just really digging what this does to my audio.
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This is so cool, really nice addition to my reverb/effect arsenal.
Thanks Audio Thing, didn't bother with the demo because the pricing is very nice.
Fog Convolver and Relayer have just added a whole heap of cool options for me.
Old 4th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
Thank you Audiothing for this plug-in! I've been wanting to use my old Tritone Digital Colortone (which only works for Macs) on my Windows machine for years and Fog Convolver allows me to use all those cool equipment IRs from Colortone and then edit them even more deeply in Fog Convolver! This is an amazing piece of software, and I am loving it! The provided IRs from Audiothing are really great too! Sorry to sound like a fanboy but I'm just really digging what this does to my audio.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying Fog Convolver with your IRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
This is so cool, really nice addition to my reverb/effect arsenal.
Thanks Audio Thing, didn't bother with the demo because the pricing is very nice.
Fog Convolver and Relayer have just added a whole heap of cool options for me.
Cool, thanks and enjoy
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Would be awesome if you could make it true zero delay convolution. Some other vendors managed to do it, so...

I absolutely love the GUI of it!
Old 5th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Would be awesome if you could make it true zero delay convolution. Some other vendors managed to do it, so...
Well actually I'm not sure if I can call it "true zero delay" but it's indeed as fast (if not better) than other convolution plugins I used. There will always be a natural latency due to the FFT, but it's definitely not noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I absolutely love the GUI of it!
Thanks, it seems everyone loves it I'm actually very proud of it, my designer and I spent several weeks on that
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm trying this post for the 3rd time, its not working on my end, but if you get blasted with 2 other messages sorta like this, my apologies, its on GS' end. Edit: Awesome, only 5 copies of the same post, thanks GS servers! lol

Ok

1) this is awesome, very very creative tool
2) I'm noticing the GUI starts to lag when files are longer, the smoothness goes away as you dial in something and the action isn't occurring for a split second. For instance, adding a fade on a short file, as you dial the knob, the fade comes in smoothly, but on a long file, it doesn't even show up until you release the mouth click, almost like its starving the graphics

3) As I said before, I'm not super knowledgable on convolution, so my question is, how do these impulses work to faithfully recreate a space? I don't know convolution, but I always thought they sweeped a sine signal out of monitors in a room from 20 hz to 20 hHz and recorded it, then used intelligent processing to strip the original sine sweep to leave just the rooms 'reaction.' So I'm a little confused on how this works with an impulse response like a short blip. I'm not trying to come off in a negative manner at all, I just truly don't understand the process in layman's terms, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

4) I read up there earlier that you said it is not true zero latency, but almost zero latency, my question is, does the plugin report that small insignificant amount of latency to the host? I'm not seeing any latency on my end...

At any rate, it sound awesome, just using the demo. I will purchase this soon.

Edit: I just had an extremely loud blast of noise come after using the stretch function on an impulse... it was almost white noise-ish, but it was insanely loud and just about blew my head off since I was wearing headphones (clipped both my track and master fader). I'm afraid to play with it anymore, I would try to help narrow down what combination of parameters I played with to get that to that to happen, but I think I will hold off on playing with this anymore until that can be confirmed and fixed. I believe I was turning the stretch mode down and not up... that's about all I can remember, hope that helps figure out what it might be.

Pro Tools 10.3.8 on Mac OS 10.8.4.

Last edited by joe_04_04; 5th July 2015 at 06:06 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
1) this is awesome, very very creative tool
Thank you!

Quote:
2) I'm noticing the GUI starts to lag when files are longer, the smoothness goes away as you dial in something and the action isn't occurring for a split second. For instance, adding a fade on a short file, as you dial the knob, the fade comes in smoothly, but on a long file, it doesn't even show up until you release the mouth click, almost like its starving the graphics
Yes, unfortunately the convolution engine has to re-calculate all the parameters for the IR everytime you change even a small thing. With large IR this results in a lag in the interface. There's an option in More -> Settings where you can decide to update the parameters only when you release the mouse. This will help smooth it a little bit (so it won't recalculate everytime you move the mouse).
There's also an option you can disable Fast Load/Update that will improve working on large IRs.

Quote:
3) As I said before, I'm not super knowledgable on convolution, so my question is, how do these impulses work to faithfully recreate a space? I don't know convolution, but I always thought they sweeped a sine signal out of monitors in a room from 20 hz to 20 hHz and recorded it, then used intelligent processing to strip the original sine sweep to leave just the rooms 'reaction.' So I'm a little confused on how this works with an impulse response like a short blip. I'm not trying to come off in a negative manner at all, I just truly don't understand the process in layman's terms, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
There are basically two main methods for making reverb impulse responses. Sine sweep and then de-convolve the signal. Impulse.
The easiest way is definitely using an Impulse. Depending on the "system" you are using it can be a digital spike, a starter pistol, a ballon pop, or even wooden boards or hand clapping. Each one will have different results and different EQ profiles. The Sine sweep will be probably the most flat response, but sometimes is not possible to bring all the equipment in places like this one:

How this will translate into a reverb is explained in many articles online (for example here). The general explanation is that each sample of the incoming signal is multiplied with each sample of the IR. So if the IR is 10 sec long you will get a reverb with a 10 sec long tail.

Quote:
4) I read up there earlier that you said it is not true zero latency, but almost zero latency, my question is, does the plugin report that small insignificant amount of latency to the host? I'm not seeing any latency on my end...
Ok, I'll try to clarify this point which could be confusing even for the terms used.
Every plugin is subject to latency. In a modern system, if your host buffer size is 128 samples you should get a latency < 10ms which is more than acceptable. Fog Convolver won't create any additional latency to that, so basically the internal processing could be seen as "zero latency". The first part of the impulse is processed in real time with the input, while the tail is processed in the background. You can change buffer sizes in More -> Settings to improve the CPU load, but usually the head block size should always be the same size as the host buffer.

Quote:
Edit: I just had an extremely loud blast of noise come after using the stretch function on an impulse... it was almost white noise-ish, but it was insanely loud and just about blew my head off since I was wearing headphones (clipped both my track and master fader). I'm afraid to play with it anymore, I would try to help narrow down what combination of parameters I played with to get that to that to happen, but I think I will hold off on playing with this anymore until that can be confirmed and fixed. I believe I was turning the stretch mode down and not up... that's about all I can remember, hope that helps figure out what it might be.

Pro Tools 10.3.8 on Mac OS 10.8.4.
Sorry to hear about that. That's the first time I hear of this problem. I tried playing around with the stretch slider, with multiple IRs and it seems to work just fine. If you are afraid it may happen again you can put a limiter to the master, but it would really help a lot if you could replicate it.
I'll play with it again anyway and see if I missed something.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately the convolution engine has to re-calculate all the parameters for the IR everytime you change even a small thing. With large IR this results in a lag in the interface. There's an option in More -> Settings where you can decide to update the parameters only when you release the mouse. This will help smooth it a little bit (so it won't recalculate everytime you move the mouse).
There's also an option you can disable Fast Load/Update that will improve working on large IRs.

There are basically two main methods for making reverb impulse responses. Sine sweep and then de-convolve the signal. Impulse.
The easiest way is definitely using an Impulse. Depending on the "system" you are using it can be a digital spike, a starter pistol, a ballon pop, or even wooden boards or hand clapping. Each one will have different results and different EQ profiles. The Sine sweep will be probably the most flat response, but sometimes is not possible to bring all the equipment in places like this one:

How this will translate into a reverb is explained in many articles online (for example here). The general explanation is that each sample of the incoming signal is multiplied with each sample of the IR. So if the IR is 10 sec long you will get a reverb with a 10 sec long tail.

Ok, I'll try to clarify this point which could be confusing even for the terms used.
Every plugin is subject to latency. In a modern system, if your host buffer size is 128 samples you should get a latency < 10ms which is more than acceptable. Fog Convolver won't create any additional latency to that, so basically the internal processing could be seen as "zero latency". The first part of the impulse is processed in real time with the input, while the tail is processed in the background. You can change buffer sizes in More -> Settings to improve the CPU load, but usually the head block size should always be the same size as the host buffer.

Sorry to hear about that. That's the first time I hear of this problem. I tried playing around with the stretch slider, with multiple IRs and it seems to work just fine. If you are afraid it may happen again you can put a limiter to the master, but it would really help a lot if you could replicate it.
I'll play with it again anyway and see if I missed something.
Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. As for the blast of noise, I was using the demo, so make sure you are testing it out on the demo. I might try to re download it tonight and see if there's a way to replicate it.

Also, the blast of noise was continuous and I had to mute the channel, then remove the plugin to get it to stop.

Last edited by joe_04_04; 5th July 2015 at 06:53 PM..
Old 6th July 2015
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I re-downloaded the demo to give it a shot one more time and I'm not able to open the .dmg file, like the package is corrupted.. can anyone else confirm as of tonight?
Old 6th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I re-downloaded the demo to give it a shot one more time and I'm not able to open the .dmg file, like the package is corrupted.. can anyone else confirm as of tonight?

No problems opening file here.

I'm on Mac OSX 10.10.2.

Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No problems opening file here.

I'm on Mac OSX 10.10.2.

I downloaded twice and got this:
Attached Thumbnails
AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - Convolution Plugin-image_445_0.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I downloaded twice and got this:
Its probably getting corrupted during the download.
Try dl with a different browser. It might help.

G

πŸ“ Reply