Resonic Audio Browser
Old 23rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

Resonic Audio Browser

Seems like finally someone got his hands dirty and decided to trully cover the
basics correctly!

For those of you who've been crying at this industry to finally come up with a
clever way to browse, organize, preview, move, cut, paste within your humongous
sample and audio libraries, this trully is the real deal.

First of all, this is by far the fastest audio browser on the planet and I've tried
them all.

Not only does it allow you to un-mess the humongous pile of audio
samples that has accumulated in all of our hard drives (come on now admit
it), but, in the pro version you can get much, much more done!

Within the browser you'll be able view and preview let's say a loop, precisely
select one or many portions you like (like a snare hit for example) and oh oh
oh grab it on the fly and drag or save it anywhere you want on your HDD, or
even drop it in any other application -

There's a few videos with what's coming next for Resonic PRO, pretty
incredible features that would make it even part of my creative tools (look at
the Realtime Looping function video, and imagine grabbing whatever
serendipity made you loop, and throwing that in your daw or in a folder for
later use)

Check out what's cooking for the pro version here : https://resonic.at/pro

You can download the beta for free here : https://resonic.at/home

And from what I understand, Tom (the creator of Resonic) will be posting some more videos this week!

You can also help him by sharing awareness for this amazing piece of software of course -

PC Only (for now)

Last edited by Lourson; 27th June 2015 at 11:21 AM..
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Will it be able to trim a file and save it, or make quick adjustments like fade-in/fade-out ?

Is it just an audio player, or and audio player with some quick editing features ?

I'm not sure I understood the concept.
Old 24th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head
Nice post :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Will it be able to trim a file and save it, or make quick adjustments like fade-in/fade-out?
One of the main features of the Pro is audio extraction [into new files, transfer to DAW] with on-the-fly sample conversion, which will include quick adjustments like fades and gain of course.

Quote:
Is it just an audio player, or and audio player with some quick editing features ? I'm not sure I understood the concept.
Well, there are two flavors:

Resonic Player is an audio player and browser with built-in waveform view and RTA, and free for personal/non-profit use. I guess you can't really compare its features with regular players, so it's probably best to just try it out. It's damn fast and loops everything, down to single-cycle waves.

Now that it's fast and stable enough it also lays down the foundation for the second flavor, Resonic Pro which is a sample browser, previewer, finder, librarian, analyzer. We're concentrating on new and innovative features here. We're trying to push usability, workflow, and creative use of sounds, which does includes some quick editing features, and external tool/editor.

Some tools are pretending to be Swiss army knives while they're failing at the most basic tasks. The Pro version won't become a wave editor, or a file manager, for that there are way better solutions.

Hope that clears things up a bit

Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for the detailed reply. I get it now.

But when you say : "loops everything", does that mean that if I have an audio file that I sampled from a record, let's say drums, but it's not perfectly cut to be playable as a loop, I'll be able to tweak it within the player ?

Making adjustments to its length and remove the unwanted parts ?

Thanks for clarifying it all.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
But when you say : "loops everything", does that mean that if I have an audio file that I sampled from a record, let's say drums, but it's not perfectly cut to be playable as a loop, I'll be able to tweak it within the player ?
Well, you can realtime loop your segments at any point, seamlessly, is what I meant, down to wavetable single-cycles.

I was thinking about having some kind of (detailed) loop tuner, at some point, in addition to the mouse selections, but I guess it's easier to use your favorite wave editor as you're used to it.

What's big on my personal todo list is external tool integration, which includes external wave editors. For example, imagine this scenario: you browse your files and you find one you'd like to edit. There would be an 'Edit' button (or use a hotkey) to fire up your preferred wave editor. Once you edit and save it, Resonic would update in the background, so you never loose your browsing position or need to mess around in additional Explorer windows.

Get the idea?
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

Yup, that's pretty good to me. I'm interested.
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

Very cool idea and product! will check it out! thanks
Old 24th June 2015
Gear Addict

Looks really interesting. Obviously AudioFinder would be the main comparison that comes to mind.. given the large user base already of that program, what are the main advantages of Resonic? Thanks.
Old 24th June 2015
Here for the gear

Ive been using the Beta version of Resonic and I absolutely love it! The way that I work (as i imagine many experienced producers / engineers would) Is that I scan through every new sample CD that i have, from start to finish, picking out samples that I like and putting them in to a dedicated sample folder. This saves me huge amounts of time when i am writing, as I then have access to a vast array of samples that i know I like, that will all fit with my style of writing. The problem with this method and the currently available auditioning software (and cubases built in media bay) is that i often find myself wanting quick tools to edit the samples as i browse. Stuff like reversing, pitching, selecting certain sections of a sample etc etc. None of the current browsers / auditioners fit these requirments, and also, most of them are painfully slow! Its a real creative workflow killer!

I found Resonic mentioned randomly on a post on KVR a month or 2 ago and downloaded the Beta. It has crashed a couple of times (to be expected with the beta version) but apart from that it has been an absolute godsend. The version which i have been using does not currently have the pitching, export selection into new sample or reverse functions, but even without those it has made the boring business of building a sample library enjoyable. I personally will be buying the pro version as soon as its released. IMO its a must have for anyone who works in a similar way (auditioning samples with the foresight of knowing how you will use them in a project in advance, and making some very quick edits if needed without being too in depth.)

Tom
ESPAI
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmusic View Post
Looks really interesting. Obviously AudioFinder would be the main comparison that comes to mind.. given the large user base already of that program, what are the main advantages of Resonic? Thanks.
AudioFinder is a valid comparison, but its goals are quite a bit different. The main advantage with the current versions is probably overall performance (it's fast...) and the fact that it's built around a folder browser, making use of existing folder structures (which is especially important for Windows users), i.e. instant browsing instead of library indexing. The Pro adds audio extraction (Mac users think Snapper) some quite unique features on top which I'll be explaining in detail in future posts.

For now, we've just released a short first look video at the most basic features of Resonic Pro (folder browser on the left is hidden in this clip):
http://tinyurl.com/resonicprofirstlook

Tom
Liqube

Last edited by lqbe; 24th June 2015 at 03:16 PM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqbe View Post
AudioFinder is a valid comparison, but its goals are quite a bit different. The main advantage with the current versions is probably overall performance (it's fast...) and the fact that it's built around a folder browser, making use of existing folder structures (which is especially important for Windows users), i.e. instant browsing instead of library indexing. The Pro adds audio extraction (Mac users think Snapper) some quite unique features on top which I'll be explaining in detail in future posts.

For now, we've just released a short first look video at the most basic features of Resonic Pro (folder browser on the left is hidden in this clip):

Tom
Liqube
"Tape like" Pitch reset! cool
Old 24th June 2015
Lives for gear

It's Windows only for now right?
Old 25th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
It's Windows only for now right?
For the moment yes.
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear
nice 1 tom !
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
nice 1 tom !
Cheers buddy!
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Hey,

Are you planning on porting your software on mac...? including SL 10.6.8 support...?
One thing that i miss with snapper 2, is a pitch-tune slider( or knob ).
I'd like to be able to tune up/down on the fly the samples i'm going to import..
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Just went through the video... Pitch function included..

So it's a tape style pitch.. can we also pitchtune and keep the speed via time stretching..?

Thanx.. very interested..!

Last edited by jsblack; 25th June 2015 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: pizza slicing
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

And just to be clear... the Pro version is not available yet?

I really like this and the concept of the Pro version. But I don't have any need whatsoever for the Basic version.

Thanks.
Old 25th June 2015
Here for the gear

Really good, been using the player for ages, was beta testing it for a while too, really fast piece of software, cut hours out of organising samples that I bring into my library.

I sample a lot, I use some sample cds, I record quite a few bits & bobs & sort them after, ie 10% of all things I'll keep the rest gets chucked

I compared sorting an equivalent library of kick drums I'd recorded, with the resonic player it took me considerably less time just having it all in the same place using a few keys

Baited breath for the pro version, extracting to another file on the fly would be really handy.
Old 25th June 2015
Here for the gear

That's great news! I already used the audio player for quick browsing... no, with this kind of flexibility, will add a plus to its fast studio functions and some are really on the fly as I understand!
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Are you planning on porting your software on mac...?
To be honest, it really depends on the financial success of the Windows version. The last three years of development were self-financed, so there is a big gap to fill first. But given this works out I do see a Mac version on the horizon...

Quote:
So it's a tape style pitch.. can we also pitchtune and keep the speed via time stretching..?
Exactly, tape-style pitching for now, to get it out asap.

Time stretching would be something for a future release, probably need to license a good algorithm for that.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
And just to be clear... the Pro version is not available yet? I really like this and the concept of the Pro version.
It's going into testing soon which is followed by some kind of early access release for early adopters at an introductory price. Users get what you see in the video and some heaps more right from the start, with regular feature updates after that.

The free Player version is updated less often.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by footokay View Post
I sample a lot, I use some sample cds, I record quite a few bits & bobs & sort them after, ie 10% of all things I'll keep the rest gets chucked.
You're going to love this then :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldolopes View Post
That's great news! I already used the audio player for quick browsing... no, with this kind of flexibility, will add a plus to its fast studio functions and some are really on the fly as I understand!
Glad to hear! There's heaps more to come though, from playlist/database functionality to (imho game-changing) auto tags (which I'll be introducing soon).
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're going to love this then :D
I have a feeling I might do Tom

Waiting, with baited breath, I think the term is
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
ninox
Quote:
but its goals are quite a bit different... it's built around a folder browser, making use of existing folder structures (which is especially important for Windows users), i.e. instant browsing instead of library indexing. The Pro adds audio extraction (Mac users think Snapper) some quite unique features on top which I'll be explaining in detail in future posts.
I don't really get what you mean about different goals. AF also allows folder browsing and has audio extraction.

Quote:
Hey,

Are you planning on porting your software on mac...? including SL 10.6.8 support...?
One thing that i miss with snapper 2, is a pitch-tune slider( or knob ).
I'd like to be able to tune up/down on the fly the samples i'm going to import..
AF has this function too. However, you need to save the sample at it's new pitch, then drag in the new re-pitched version. It's quick to do. Just an extra step that's all.

Don't know if the current version works with SL though.
Old 30th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninox View Post
AF has this function too. However, you need to save the sample at it's new pitch, then drag in the new re-pitched version. It's quick to do. Just an extra step that's all.

Don't know if the current version works with SL though.
Hey Ninox,

Thanks for your insights,

Though, couldn't find the way to save the sample pitched.. is there a kind of shortcut/keystroke to do it..?
Do i need to open the sample tool window..? the sample goes back to original tune each time i try to export.. save.. (feel dumb yeah )
I'm not "feeling" AF [5.5.5] under SL really.. "mac intuitive" neither "that" smooth..

Hope Resonic Audio will port on mac.. Snapper 2 doesn't pitch.. just stretch

Thank you.
Old 30th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest, it really depends on the financial success of the Windows version. The last three years of development were self-financed, so there is a big gap to fill first. But given this works out I do see a Mac version on the horizon...

Exactly, tape-style pitching for now, to get it out asap.

Time stretching would be something for a future release, probably need to license a good algorithm for that.
Thank you, i wish you the financial sucess you deserve for you hard inspired work.

Fingers crossed for mac users..!
Old 3rd July 2015 | Show parent
ninox
Quote:
Hey Ninox,

Thanks for your insights,

Though, couldn't find the way to save the sample pitched.. is there a kind of shortcut/keystroke to do it..?
Do i need to open the sample tool window..? the sample goes back to original tune each time i try to export.. save.. (feel dumb yeah )
I'm not "feeling" AF [5.5.5] under SL really.. "mac intuitive" neither "that" smooth..

Hope Resonic Audio will port on mac.. Snapper 2 doesn't pitch.. just stretch

Thank you.
No need to open Sample Tool. Just adjust the pitch and then select Varispeed/Pitch Shift from the Process menu or press Ctrl P. The newly pitched sample will be created in your previously chosen 'processing folder' (there's also an option to bypass your processing folder which means the sample will be created in the same folder as the original).
Old 3rd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninox View Post
No need to open Sample Tool. Just adjust the pitch and then select Varispeed/Pitch Shift from the Process menu or press Ctrl P. The newly pitched sample will be created in your previously chosen 'processing folder' (there's also an option to bypass your processing folder which means the sample will be created in the same folder as the original).
Crystal clear, awesome !

Thank you :-)
Old 9th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
But I don't have any need whatsoever for the Basic version.

Thanks.
This program works really well and one of the main catches is that it can always playback .wav at other sample rates than the one that you are using. Especially for some soundcard that don't normally have multi-client support. It can be a real asset to do this during a current session.
/p
📝 Reply