Audient iD14 Audio Interface (Available Now) - Page 8 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient iD14 Audio Interface (Available Now)
Old 2nd June 2018
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried the updated drivers just released v4.0.0. Thoughts on improved latency etc?
Old 2nd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by operandx View Post
Has anyone tried the updated drivers just released v4.0.0. Thoughts on improved latency etc?
Audient id14 Zero Latency?
Old 3rd June 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Thanks! I haven't run any tests yet but it 'feels' like I can run at better latency than before with similar plugin load without dropouts/glitches so that's an improvement.
Old 15th August 2018
@ audientworld , I hope you don't mind me summoning you

From the iD14 manual:

Loudspeaker and Headphone Buttons. Pressing the speaker or headphone button allows the encoder to control the level of the selected output. The volume of the output is displayed on the meter LEDs and a press of the encoder will mute the output. When a selected output is muted, the encoder button will flash, that encoder buttons.

My comment: I so wish the encoder would NOT accept input (volume changes) while the output of either speakers or headphones are muted. Is the current behaviour a deliberate decision?
Old 16th August 2018 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
@ audientworld , I hope you don't mind me summoning you

From the iD14 manual:

Loudspeaker and Headphone Buttons. Pressing the speaker or headphone button allows the encoder to control the level of the selected output. The volume of the output is displayed on the meter LEDs and a press of the encoder will mute the output. When a selected output is muted, the encoder button will flash, that encoder buttons.

My comment: I so wish the encoder would NOT accept input (volume changes) while the output of either speakers or headphones are muted. Is the current behaviour a deliberate decision?
Howdy,

I'm not entirely sure on the reasoning behind why this is the case. One thing that I do find useful myself however, is in the case where there's a sudden loud sound (you're working on EQ for a quiet channel in a mix so have the speakers cranked up and you accidently unmute a channel full of heavily compressed guitars... for example)

In this case, you can quickly mute the speakers by simply slamming down the encoder down. You can then turn the monitors down to a sensible level using the LED meters on the iD14 to give you an idea of the relative level and then unmute the speakers to continue listening without your ears being assaulted.

Obviously quite a niche situation, but having been there myself, it is mighty useful. I'll pass message this onto our software team however as it could be an option which could be adjusted possibly. I can't promise anything at this moment in time however.

-Audient
Old 16th August 2018
Old 17th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there,

The DI of the iD14 for the most part is clean. It does though, have a JFET on the input which slightly thickens up the signal and removes the sterile sound that you usually get from a DI.

A JFET was used because it reacts quite similarly to a tube to give you a small amount of harmonics and it reaction to the dynamics in your playing.

Your not going to get heaps of tube-style breakup from the DI (You would clip the convertor well before you could clip the JFET), just a very small amount of additional harmonics which just make the guitar a little more pleasant
to listen to.

Re-amping the guitar signal isn't going to be an issue at all because the sound is still pretty much clean and theres plenty of room for overdrive and warmth from your favourite amps.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Thanks Daniel after a few years...
I bought this ID4 long time ago and believe quality of DI (instrumental) input a little disappointing comparing for example with Palmer active DiBox connected in the same ID4 mic input. Palmer is obviosly much clearer without "shuffling pseudo-analog ghost" artifacts. The DI is not the strongest part of ID4. I can't say anything bad about mic preamps - they are pretty good.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Head

@ audientworld

Is there any chance of an update to the ID software to allow the assigning of the mute functionality to the ID button in addition to the encoder? I love my ID14, but rarely use the other assignable functions for the ID button & am not the biggest fan of depressing the encoder to mute the unit. Depending on the angle I press from or how preoccupied I am, sometimes I end up decreasing or increasing the output volume by a notch in the process of depressing it during a mute. I would love to be able to use the separate hardware ID button instead.

Anyways, thanks & again, I love the unit. This would be icing on the cake for me!
Old 18th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeto View Post
Thanks Daniel after a few years...
I bought this ID4 long time ago and believe quality of DI (instrumental) input a little disappointing comparing for example with Palmer active DiBox connected in the same ID4 mic input. Palmer is obviosly much clearer without "shuffling pseudo-analog ghost" artifacts. The DI is not the strongest part of ID4. I can't say anything bad about mic preamps - they are pretty good.
The Palmer PAN 02 is a little over $100 by itself so I would hope it sounds better than the built-in instrument input, which is at best a $30-50 component.
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 6833614
Ok, I was really skeptical about the whole converters thing. Always thought it sounded kind of dumb. Didn't expect to hear any difference at all.

Upgrading from the Uphoria 204HD which I thought didn't really need any improvement. Bought the Audient more for the peace of mind that I have a high quality interface to run all the other gear that is a notch above budget-grade, just to get everything on the same level.

Driver installation froze, requiring my 1st ever hard reset ever since I installed W10 2 years ago.

I got even more skeptical.

Then I powered it up.

Yes, I heard it.

It sure sounds very different to the Uphoria. I didn't expect that. I guess all this converter thing is not so dumb after all.

Recalibrating my ears with familiar music now.

Damn.
Old 24th July 2020
Here for the gear

For some reason I can't get my iD14 to work at 96k with the Focusrite Octopre connected to the optical input. Works at 44.1 and 48. Any ideas? I realizer that 96 would only be on 4 channels of the octopre.
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBonham View Post
For some reason I can't get my iD14 to work at 96k with the Focusrite Octopre connected to the optical input. Works at 44.1 and 48. Any ideas? I realizer that 96 would only be on 4 channels of the octopre.
You can't get the Audient to work or you can't get the OctoPre to work?

You presumably have an Octopre with 96k capability (two adat outs)?
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can't get the Audient to work or you can't get the OctoPre to work?

You presumably have an Octopre with 96k capability (two adat outs)?
Sorry should have included more detail. The Audient works great at any sample rate, when I try to use the Octopre connected via the optical input on the iD14 the octopre will only work at 44.1 and 48. I realize that at 96 only 4 channels in available on the Octopre.

Yes the front panel of the Octopre has a selector for sample rate. 96 being one of the options and 2 adat ports on the back 1-4 5-8. Clock is set to have the Octopre as source.

I believe it to be some sort of mac issue. It acts like it wants to work then reverts to 44.1 if I change the settings in the "midi audio setup" settings.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBonham View Post

I believe it to be some sort of mac issue. It acts like it wants to work then reverts to 44.1 if I change the settings in the "midi audio setup" settings.
Can't you use Audient as clock master and Octo as slave?

When you change what settings in midi audio setup??
Here for the gear

Quote:
Can't you use Audient as clock master and Octo as slave?

When you change what settings in midi audio setup??
No as the Audient has no adata out / clock out.
Setting the clock to the Audient Adat and the sample rate to 96. Seems like it wants to take, then reverts to 48 or 44.1
Old 25th July 2020
Here for the gear

here is what happens if this helps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-D...ew?usp=sharing
Lives for gear

Ah yes......was forgetting the 14 was adat in only.

So the Audient clock status is showing you have a sample rate mismatch somewhere...if you close all software is it the same?

Quote:
An amber lock light means that there is a clock source on the digital input, but that it isn't valid and doesn't match up with the DAW. This can occur if for example that you have a ProTools session at 48kHz, but your external mic preamp is set to 44.1kHz. This would still allow audio through into your DAW however it would be full of clicks and pops and would be unusable. If you are getting pops and clicks then the first thing to do is check for the amber light.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ah yes......was forgetting the 14 was adat in only.

So the Audient clock status is showing you have a sample rate mismatch somewhere...if you close all software is it the same?
I just tried something a little different. Closed everything and rebooted. Opened mac midi settings and set to adat clock and 96 before opening the iD software. The settings took, but there was still an audio issue (sample mismatch). When I opened Di is gave me the error again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCw...ew?usp=sharing. Only 48 works
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

@ audientworld does ScrollControl work in Ableton?
📝 Reply