The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PA releases Vertigo VSM-3, Maag Audio EQ2, Millennia TCL-2 & NSEQ-2 (native)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Decided to get it. $0 for what is said to be an accurate model of a $3500 compressor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I like the HG2 and also have VSM-3 both of which I paid quite a bit for so they where very considered purchases. I really like Karacter too and also have that. To be honest they haven't had much use as my work output is so slow and perfectionist that something else always comes along to steal my attention. Right now that is Kazrog True Iron. I even keep meaning to go back and give Soundtoys Decapitator more of the attention it deserves. So many great options we have available to us.

Going back to TCL-2 the audio examples on the website are not very appealing to me and it definitely sounds too grabby in many of them. I suspect this is a compressor to be used subtly like Mike White used it in his demo video mixed in at only 26% wet.

This will be on special again at some point if we do decide to pass today and hold onto our vouchers for the remainder of the month in case something we want more comes up. I'm more inclined to get it today though rather than perhaps let my voucher go unspent as has happened before should nothing I need appear this month. I will kick myself though if either Iron or Masterdesk goes on special for $49 this month!
Haha, I'm totally feeling your indecision! I'll kick myself too if the HG-2 goes on special and I wasted a 75$ coupon on a 29$ plugin. I really wish they would let you keep the balance instead of losing it all on one purchase. I guess that's the strategy. I may just bite the bullet and buy it for 29$ and keep the voucher in case. It's a gamble both ways. Yet another day wasted tormenting myself instead of actually learning the tools I have and making music lol.

We'd be in a perfect situation if I didn't like the mastedesk and you didn't like the HG-2. Sell it both ways at a 1$. Problem solved!

EDIT: Just saw you bought it. If you end up playing with it now, can you keep me posted on how you like/dislike it? I have 2 hours to go!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Yet another day wasted tormenting myself instead of actually learning the tools I have and making music lol.

EDIT: Just saw you bought it. If you end up playing with it now, can you keep me posted on how you like/dislike it? I have 2 hours to go!!
I know right! I had to decide before I leave for work which is now so unfortunately I will not be able to give any feedback atm. Good luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know right! I had to decide before I leave for work which is now so unfortunately I will not be able to give any feedback atm. Good luck!
No worries man, I enjoyed the chat Hopefully our gamble works out!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dunno man, end up buying it and not really loving it. I mean you really gotta go hard on it to hear any real interesting change, subtle seems a bit to tame and boring. Perhaps that's what it was designed for and I can say I wasn't warned. I'm literally full fast attack/release with a high threshold and playing with the mix knob to get some ok results. Let me know what ya think when you have a chance..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Haha, I'm totally feeling your indecision! I'll kick myself too if the HG-2 goes on special and I wasted a 75$ coupon on a 29$ plugin.
Was already on sale for $29 a few weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
Seriously? Like what day? I watch my emails like a hawk.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
The Millenia NSEQ-2 EQ was on sale at the start of the month for $49 literally the day before they sent me my voucher otherwise I probably would have jumped on that instead.

Quote:
I dunno man, end up buying it and not really loving it. I mean you really gotta go hard on it to hear any real interesting change, subtle seems a bit to tame and boring. Perhaps that's what it was designed for and I can say I wasn't warned. I'm literally full fast attack/release with a high threshold and playing with the mix knob to get some ok results. Let me know what ya think when you have a chance..
I tried TCL-2 briefly last night and it's like all the comments say. Subtle, transparent, invisible sheen. It's for applications when you want "invisible compression". Hence why it's popular with classical and acoustic material. I plan to use it in conjunction with another compressor on the mix bus. Probably with the TCL-2 first. You can also run it with dynamics off just to get some subtle box tone. We are talking barely perceptible percentages here. Just those magic 1-5% improvements. Read all the user reviews if you haven't already on the website and you will gain an idea of the various applications it's being used in. I don't regret getting it. It's a classy compressor and my concern about it possibly being too grabby hasn't eventuated so far.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Millenia NSEQ-2 EQ was on sale at the start of the month for $49 literally the day before they sent me my voucher otherwise I probably would have jumped on that instead.

I tried TCL-2 briefly last night and it's like all the comments say. Subtle, transparent, invisible sheen. It's for applications when you want "invisible compression". Hence why it's popular with classical and acoustic material. I plan to use it in conjunction with another compressor on the mix bus. Probably with the TCL-2 first. You can also run it with dynamics off just to get some subtle box tone. We are talking barely perceptible percentages here. Just those magic 1-5% improvements. Read all the user reviews if you haven't already on the website and you will gain an idea of the various applications it's being used in. I don't regret getting it. It's a classy compressor and my concern about it possibly being too grabby hasn't eventuated so far.
I've spent more time with it and it's really starting to grow on me. It takes some getting used to but I'm soooo appreciating it's transparency. Years ago I could not stand anything transparent but today I love it. I colour things with other tools, I don't need the compressor adding yet another layer. The MS processing is really special too, some really nice imaging going on. I had been using the two opto's in linked mode which seemed a bit frustrating but when I unlinked them individually it revealed a very different behaviour, generally much easier to control the dynamics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've spent more time with it and it's really starting to grow on me. It takes some getting used to but I'm soooo appreciating it's transparency. Years ago I could not stand anything transparent but today I love it. I colour things with other tools, I don't need the compressor adding yet another layer. The MS processing is really special too, some really nice imaging going on. I had been using the two opto's in linked mode which seemed a bit frustrating but when I unlinked them individually it revealed a very different behaviour, generally much easier to control the dynamics.
Glad to hear the TCL-2 is working out for you. I look forward to exploring it further. I'm sure I am going to be equally pleased with it too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search