The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PA releases Vertigo VSM-3, Maag Audio EQ2, Millennia TCL-2 & NSEQ-2 (native) Saturation Plugins
Old 7th June 2015
Gear Addict
I'll pick this up when price is better I think. If something else is not overshadowing it by then that is!
Old 17th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
I'll pick this up when price is better I think. If something else is not overshadowing it by then that is!
likewise.

VSM-3, that is....

Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
likewise.

VSM-3, that is....

The wait is over. I just picked this beauty up at the Plugin Alliance website on special for $129. One day only Dec 4 (57% off)
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
Very interesting. Several people are having this experience so it makes me wonder a bit about the plug...yet others report they have it working well...

I have the hardware and it's anything but 'pumpy.' I won't have a chance to demo the plug for a couple more weeks, but will probably download the demo just to see for myself. (I own UAD's PlugIn Alliance collaboration of the NSEQ-2 and use that all the time -very smooth and firms up the mix like nobody's business. So it would truly surprise me if they got the compressor this wrong -especially with John LaGrou having had to sign off!! I don't believe he would let anything go out with the Millennia moniker that he wasn't pleased with).

Mark
Out of interest, did you do a comparison in the end?
Cheers
Ben
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
vertigo 3 : THIS IS SOMETHING i was waiting for and it's just almost perfect !!!! dopenesss all the way , my only grip is , DIRK please , GUI Size !!! why others PA are decent size and Vertigo line is for Eagle eyes people !! lol for real
Would definitely like to see (pun intended) a larger GUI option for VSM-3.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
Agreed
Old 19th December 2015
joh
Gear Maniac

so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
Oh yes, it is a real pain on the eyes...same goes for UA Massive passive and lots of other UA plugins.
I´ve been told by a developer that GUI adjustability is a lot of work, so we might not expect that from UAD for older plugins (which is sad)

But nevertheless I just bought vsm-3. After demoing it, i was addicted - it was irreplaceble on a lot of sources.

So now for 104€ (holiday sale instead of 299€) even this unrecognizable interface is getting bearable.
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

I see uad has it on sale and with 2 $25 vouchers it comes to $79.
I might try out the demo first.
As per the gui should look/work fine on a 42" touch screen, as does the massive
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
Oh yes, it is a real pain on the eyes...same goes for UA Massive passive and lots of other UA plugins.
I´ve been told by a developer that GUI adjustability is a lot of work, so we might not expect that from UAD for older plugins (which is sad)

But nevertheless I just bought vsm-3. After demoing it, i was addicted - it was irreplaceble on a lot of sources.

So now for 104€ (holiday sale instead of 299€) even this unrecognizable interface is getting bearable.
Is it also a pain to add the option to scale the size up? Say 150-200%?
Old 26th December 2015
Demoing the VSM-3 now that there is the calendar sale and it does sound pretty damn good. I thought it would be quite overwhelming and difficult to use, but it's actually very intuitive to tweak. The monitoring section is very handy.

Gives very nice spice to mixes.
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
@ Ardis : get the VSM-3 demo. Thank me later! heh
OK Diogo, consider yourself thanked! Bought this on the Xmas sale and was traveling, so just checked it out last nite. Amazing, especially with the VSC-2 as a combo. Really dovetails nicely. I wish there were more presets as a singer/songwriter I use my mixes as a sketchpad for my mastering engineer. It is sooo deep, easy to get lost in it.

I'd really appreciate if others have tips on settings they like as I try to spend time recording and writing. The wide and Hifi presets are great starting points but like the Clariphonic or Elektra, it's easy to overdo since the unit sounds so good. Just putting on the default setting makes a nice difference running sound thru it. The dinensionality is crazy in headphones, with sound coming from unexpected angles. If anyone has some starting points they like, I'd appreciate a few pointers. It really is a rabbit hole of goodness!
Old 7th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
OK Diogo, consider yourself thanked! Bought this on the Xmas sale and was traveling, so just checked it out last nite. Amazing, especially with the VSC-2 as a combo. Really dovetails nicely. I wish there were more presets as a singer/songwriter I use my mixes as a sketchpad for my mastering engineer. It is sooo deep, easy to get lost in it.

I'd really appreciate if others have tips on settings they like as I try to spend time recording and writing. The wide and Hifi presets are great starting points but like the Clariphonic or Elektra, it's easy to overdo since the unit sounds so good. Just putting on the default setting makes a nice difference running sound thru it. The dinensionality is crazy in headphones, with sound coming from unexpected angles. If anyone has some starting points they like, I'd appreciate a few pointers. It really is a rabbit hole of goodness!

My tip would be to put it on serial mode and dial each of the modules on its own (middle knob all the way left/right) so you can listen to what they do. The included manual is also a great read, it's short and straight to the point. Helped me a lot when I first got the plug. And of course, have fun just dialing things even if you're not entirely sure about them - if it sounds then it is good!
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Guru
Watched some videos on it on You Tube, really helps. Thinking of tube warmth as distortion is so counter intuitive to me!..... It really is an amazing unit and seems at first blush, to clear out the mud by focusing lows. The imaging is insane on drums. Trying mixing in on a buss which seems to work well across a mix.
Old 24th April 2016
Gear Head

The GUI being so small puts me off buying. Sounds fantastic but I can't read anything on the GUI. Please make it bigger
Old 22nd May 2016
How do people find TCL-2 these days? It's still on sale for a little while now and I have a PA voucher so this could be had for quite a good price.

Demoing it right now and it's one weird compressor. The threshold is very tricky to get right, either very discreet or very noticeable.
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

You have to fiddle around a little with threshold, attack and release to avoid excessive pumping (unless that's your intention). According to hardware reviews of the TCL-2 they are very tricky as well. But if you get it right I think it sounds fantastic.
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Been loving the VSM-3 on parallel Tom buss lately.
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Guru
I still use this on every project I do. I'm not particularly talented at mixing a bunch of plug ins and starting with the Hi Fi preset is like opening a door.... This and the Kush Electra and Clariphonic make sound just better. I'm a songwriter so whatever I can do to mix faster is a blessing.
Old 24th July 2017
Just tried the Demo again I got my Korg Odyssey sounding like a TB-303 using VSM-3
I really like Soundtoys Decapitator but I can't get the TB-303 sound with it.

I hate the price and I wish the GUI was resizable but I got it have it now.

At Plugin alliance it's £306 but at Thomann it's £198? Anyone bought from them before?
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Pok View Post
Just tried the Demo again I got my Korg Odyssey sounding like a TB-303 using VSM-3
I really like Soundtoys Decapitator but I can't get the TB-303 sound with it.

I hate the price and I wish the GUI was resizable but I got it have it now.

At Plugin alliance it's £306 but at Thomann it's £198? Anyone bought from them before?
Thoman is serious .. go without fear ... also if you're patient wait until it goes on sale or check on second hand market , they're a brazilian guy that sell all PA stuff lol ...
Old 25th July 2017
Thanks Jeezo
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
... wait until it goes on sale ...
definitely (if you're patient). i think this thing cost me less than $70 back in May, can't imagine paying "retail" price for anything by PA. amazing stuff, but the list prices are ridiculous.

i've seen it for sale pretty cheap recently on the KVR forums as well. actually, there's three copies for sale there right now (three different buyers, just "search" the B/S/T forum), for $75-79 plus the $20 fee that needs to be paid to PA by the buyer.
Old 25th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
definitely (if you're patient). i think this thing cost me less than $70 back in May, can't imagine paying "retail" price for anything by PA. amazing stuff, but the list prices are ridiculous.

i've seen it for sale pretty cheap recently on the KVR forums as well. actually, there's three copies for sale there right now (three different buyers, just "search" the B/S/T forum), for $75-79 plus the $20 fee that needs to be paid to PA by the buyer.
Thanks I'll check them out.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Guru
Thought I'd bump this thread. Two years later, I'm still loving the Vertigo tandem. I'm a huge fan of "bettermaker" plug ins. As mentioned, I'm a songwriter so there are emulations I use on pretty much everything to create a sample mix that I have a wonderful engineer recreate with "for real" equipment.

I use routinely the Vertigos on the mix bus. The BR 73 pre, VCC I have on busses. For eq Electra has a lovely sound on vocals. Omega 458a, bx Refinement, Clariphonic, sometimes MJUC, are all effortless plug ins that are wonderful for taking something I thought sounded good, and add extra. VVV Echoboy, Cristalizer, ST Plate are effects that really can create space. Love using these in tandem.

Anyway, I'd heartily recommend others like Soundbrigade, SDRR, Reviver, Decapitator, Britson, Sweetone, EQ Rangers, bx Refinement, UBK-1 etc. Honestly UBK-1, VCC and Decapitator were my first plug ins, and I could have stopped there, and created mixes that I could have only dreamed about 20 years ago....Moving forward the wicked smaht tools like Gullfloss, Oemsound, etc, are things that seem to be the future, to do the things that I don't know how to do. The biggest challenge is to use the wealth of capability I have now better, and to learn how to hear better to really profit from the sophistication. I'm a total monkey playing in a spaceship at this point, and only using a fraction of what these have to offer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

29$ for the Millennia TCL-2 today? Any opinions..?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
29$ for the Millennia TCL-2 today? Any opinions..?
Was wondering too as I have a voucher to use. I tried the demo years ago and cannot recall if it was just too expensive for me back then or if I had existing options that didn't justify getting it. It seems to do both dirty and transparent. The Mike White video and lots of glowing reviews are all I really have to go on. It seems to have found most love on acoustic, jazz and classical material and therefore also film and TV. I am mainly interested in using it for transparent compression of dance music if it would work for that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Was wondering too as I have a voucher to use. I tried the demo years ago and cannot recall if it was just too expensive for me back then or if I had existing options that didn't justify getting it. It seems to do both dirty and transparent. The Mike White video and lots of glowing reviews are all I really have to go on. It seems to have found most love on acoustic, jazz and classical material and therefore also film and TV. I am mainly interested in using it for transparent compression of dance music if it would work for that.
Same boat. Expired demo from a year ago but I know why I didn't buy it, I found the behaviour a little quirky and 'attacky'. But it's 29$ and part of me feels I never gave it a fair chance. I've watched the Mike video but he's pretty tame with the thing, not very revealing. I like the idea of transparency and what some call has a 'pumping' effect, I could see that being handy on hat lines or perc loops.

I have a 75$ coupon so I could easily buy it but I don't want to waste it cause I'm hoping the HG-2 goes on sale this month, but if it doesn't it's a wasted coupon and honestly with 15 days left in the month, I think it's a long shot for the HG-2 plugin to drop. Dilemma.

Techno production here.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same boat. Expired demo from a year ago but I know why I didn't buy it, I found the behaviour a little quirky and 'attacky'. But it's 29$ and part of me feels I never gave it a fair chance. I've watched the Mike video but he's pretty tame with the thing, not very revealing. I like the idea of transparency and what some call has a 'pumping' effect, I could see that being handy on hat lines or perc loops.

I have a 75$ coupon so I could easily buy it but I don't want to waste it cause I'm hoping the HG-2 goes on sale this month, but if it doesn't it's a wasted coupon and honestly with 15 days left in the month, I think it's a long shot for the HG-2 plugin to drop. Dilemma.

Techno production here.
'attacky' seems to ring a bell now. I have a $50 voucher so I know how you feel. It's a bit of a lottery not knowing what else might go on special later in the month or if a new plugin will drop. I'd prefer to use the voucher for Iron or Masterdesk if they go on special. I already have HG-2. While I appreciate the monthly voucher you don't actually have a full month to use it as they are not issued at the start of the month and sometimes only arrive in week two. No pleasing some people like me though!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
'attacky' seems to ring a bell now. I have a $50 voucher so I know how you feel. It's a bit of a lottery not knowing what else might go on special later in the month or if a new plugin will drop. I'd prefer to use the voucher for Iron or Masterdesk if they go on special. I already have HG-2. While I appreciate the monthly voucher you don't actually have a full month to use it as they are not issued at the start of the month and sometimes only arrive in week two. No pleasing some people like me though!
How do you like the HG-2? I already have lots of saturation plugs including vsm-3, phils cascade, uad tape's etc...Not sure the HG-2 will bring much to the table, but of course i've convinced myself I need it for a different 'flavour' lol. Masterdesk is great man, I really like what that plug does to the master or even individual tracks, it adds a professional polish to the mix. Clocks ticking on the Millennia though, not sure what to do. I just bought the Arturia comps and said that's it, but they aren't exactly transparent, which is also something I like for different uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfCL0HO4CM&t=420s

@ 7:00 minutes he sells it pretty good.

Last edited by Raddler; 5 days ago at 02:25 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you like the HG-2? I already have lots of saturation plugs including vsm-3, phils cascade, uad tape's etc...Not sure the HG-2 will bring much to the table, but of course i've convinced myself I need it for a different 'flavour' lol. Masterdesk is great man, I really like what that plug does to the master or even individual tracks, it adds a professional polish to the mix. Clocks ticking on the Millennia though, not sure what to do. I just bought the Arturia comps and said that's it, but they aren't exactly transparent, which is also something I like for different uses.
I like the HG2 and also have VSM-3 both of which I paid quite a bit for so they where very considered purchases. I really like Karacter too and also have that. To be honest they haven't had much use as my work output is so slow and perfectionist that something else always comes along to steal my attention. Right now that is Kazrog True Iron. I even keep meaning to go back and give Soundtoys Decapitator more of the attention it deserves. So many great options we have available to us.

Going back to TCL-2 the audio examples on the website are not very appealing to me and it definitely sounds too grabby in many of them. I suspect this is a compressor to be used subtly like Mike White used it in his demo video mixed in at only 26% wet.

This will be on special again at some point if we do decide to pass today and hold onto our vouchers for the remainder of the month in case something we want more comes up. I'm more inclined to get it today though rather than perhaps let my voucher go unspent as has happened before should nothing I need appear this month. I will kick myself though if either Iron or Masterdesk goes on special for $49 this month!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search