The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iZotope acquires Exponential Audio
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
So, in short, for those that own Stratus (or use any EA reverb for post), do they come with a fair amount of presets for things like bedrooms, bathrooms, medium office spaces, cars, etc.? I do love Altiverb because it's so easy to get a decent sound quick that does a fairly good job in placing the sounds, however it's not the most flexible option. FWIW, I do have the original Pheonix verb, and although I don't hate it, I never fell in love with it, and always wished it had a more focused set of presets for post.
Stratus and Symphony both have a lot of presets for ADR. There are various interiors (including cars) and exteriors as well. If you take just a couple of minutes to learn how the search facility works, you can zero in on what you need.

Personally I think Stratus is a better choice for dialog and foley. It's quite natural and you should be able to fit it in the mix without tipping anybody off that there's a reverb. But I know a number of well-respected mixers also get good results with Symphony. And I think so much depends on the show and how much you're cramming into the mix.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Stratus and Symphony both have a lot of presets for ADR. There are various interiors (including cars) and exteriors as well. If you take just a couple of minutes to learn how the search facility works, you can zero in on what you need.

Personally I think Stratus is a better choice for dialog and foley. It's quite natural and you should be able to fit it in the mix without tipping anybody off that there's a reverb. But I know a number of well-respected mixers also get good results with Symphony. And I think so much depends on the show and how much you're cramming into the mix.
Key Features For Stratus Surround:

Natural surround reverb algorithm with support up to 7.1

Channel-specific control over reverb delay and gain

Advanced control of reverb tail and early reflections

Pre-delay and reverb delay adjustable by tempo

3D controls link multiple plug-in instances

Over 1,700 presets (rooms, plates, halls, chambers, and more)

EuControl support

With over 1,700 preset, one should find something for every possible situation.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post

...if they're going to buy Zynaptic
Not a likely scenario for Denis imo, ...and for sure not Stephen.
Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear

So I was already considering moving on from ReVibe to something from Exponential Audio when this was announced. The 30% discount has me thinking even harder about making the switch. I'd love to go with Altiverb XL but the price is just too big to swallow right now, so instead I think Stratus might be the one.

But I have one major question for current Exponential Audio plugin users: why the heck do they have so many different reverb plugins?? (And would I really need more than one?)

I exclusively mix post, not music, so for me it's almost 100% about creating realistic spaces. I'm working primarily in 5.1 right now but Atmos is lurking out there, so their "immersive format" support is compelling.

But really, why do they have Phoenix Verb, AND R2/R4, AND Nimbus, AND Symphony, AND Stratus? To someone who's shopping for verbs and hasn't used any of them yet, it says that they either don't have confidence in any one product or have excessive overlap or just have product line bloat.

I hear that Stratus is really the best one for post. What do users of it think? Is there really a need for more than one Exponential Audio reverb for post?

I'm guessing the first thing iZotope will do is fold all this chaos into a single verb product, or at most an "elements" version and "advanced" version.

Last edited by AlexeyMohr; 6th April 2019 at 11:42 PM..
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that originally Michael coded two essentially different "types" of reverb, with the "R" being one and "Phoenix" the other. Phoenixverb sounded more natural to me and R2 more along the lines of "musical" reverbs of the past. So I could see separate uses for the two, broadly speaking (you could obviously gravitate towards a more colored musical reverb for effect on dialog).

Then as far as I recall the two evolved into newer reverbs with more functionality. I think those were Nimbus / Stratus, meaning one is based on "R" the other on "Phoenix". And finally there was added support for 3D reverbs.

Hopefully someone can clarify the above.

My 2 cents on Phoenixverb is that I tried it in stereo and thought "Well, that sounds nice.. but whatever" and then I compared the surround version to other reverbs (impulse and algorithmic) and it was like night and day. I can see the point in maybe having better organized presets or simply more of them, but to me that reverb sounds really, really good. I'd be happy to upgrade now if I had an acute need for it. Heck, I just might anyway just to spend money I don't have.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeyMohr View Post

But I have one major question for current Exponential Audio plugin users: why the heck do they have so many different reverb plugins?? (And would I really need more than one?)
For a few reasons, the GUI is different for all and some are easier to use than others. But MOST importantly.. Each reverb has it's own characteristics, feel, sound, options, and emotion to it. I don't think there is one size that fit's all. And with film, you can have millions of situations, ADR of a child in a bedroom and a crying baby in another to an alien monster on a planet in a HUGE crystal cave to mice talking in a tube inside a van (if you've seen G-Force by Walt Disney, you'll know what I'm referring to).
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I took the opportunity and bought Stratus at 30 % off. I have not used it a lot yet, but it sure sounds nice, automates well in ProTools and does not require too much CPU.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi folks,
Just letting you know I'll be at NAB for a few weeks. If any of you are at the show, please come by the iZotope booth and say hello.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hopefully we get more than one iLok license now, plus machine/cloud based ilok.
Cause one iLok license truly sucks...
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
Hopefully we get more than one iLok license now, plus machine/cloud based ilok.
Cause one iLok license truly sucks...
Still one license, but it is machine-based now. Bought the stereo bundle last night
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Still one license, but it is machine-based now. Bought the stereo bundle last night
Ah, that sucks and is the only reason I rarely use these plugs.
Cause they sound excellent.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
Ah, that sucks and is the only reason I rarely use these plugs.
Cause they sound excellent.
They do sound excellent, and I ended up paying $170 for R4, Nimbus, PhoenixVerb, and Excalibur. Couldn't turn that down even with a single license. Plus I'm a laptop + external monitor guy these days, so I only end up using one activation.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The cpu usage tho
Old 18th April 2019
dix
Gear Nut
Is there an upgrade path for users that bought their from Exponential? PhoenixVerb in my case.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Nut

I 'took the bait' and bought the bundle...probably the last reverbs I'll ever need. I have been using Neutron, Ozone and Nectar for years now...
I have been doing some comparisons (TrueVerb, Eventide,...) and the CPU utilization is MUCH better with the EA reverbs, particularly if you use their 'soft tail' option.

I'm using this moment to completely bail on Waves...enough already!
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

I just picked up symphony-3d with the sale going on .... wow. I use Phoenix surround a lot, and just tried symphony on a open air scene that had wind howling over a rock clearing - it created a perfect "mental" picture of the place. Also slightly testing fold downs, seems like the fold down from 7.1.2 to 5.1 is real clean ( I was thinking I would need stratus 3d also, but I think I'm going to be fine just with symphony 3d). Nice manual btw, not too huge and mentally accessible, something I am reading through VERY slowly. Immersive mixing and creating a "location" seems super powerful, I'll be using this a lot for sound design also. I found some of the video tutorial helpful, but symphony has so much depth, 8 hour's of classes I'd probably still be scratching the surface of this.
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I just picked up symphony-3d with the sale going on .... wow. I use Phoenix surround a lot, and just tried symphony on a open air scene that had wind howling over a rock clearing - it created a perfect "mental" picture of the place. Also slightly testing fold downs, seems like the fold down from 7.1.2 to 5.1 is real clean ( I was thinking I would need stratus 3d also, but I think I'm going to be fine just with symphony 3d). Nice manual btw, not too huge and mentally accessible, something I am reading through VERY slowly. Immersive mixing and creating a "location" seems super powerful, I'll be using this a lot for sound design also. I found some of the video tutorial helpful, but symphony has so much depth, 8 hour's of classes I'd probably still be scratching the surface of this.
Thanks for the review, I'm going to a 3 hour class about all of the Exponential Audio product line next week. Hopefully there'll be a HUGE discount for all of them, if not, then will wait for black friday
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

I seem to recall there were previous promotions where current owners got a discount on bundles and 3d, that's no longer the case, right?
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I seem to recall there were previous promotions where current owners got a discount on bundles and 3d, that's no longer the case, right?
I think I got like 5% more then then promotion when I did all the clicks because I had previous related products.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hopefully:

Izotope will realise that the preset system should be left/right keys for type, and up/down for preset and modifer up/down for preset bank... The way it is now is very confusing....

Also i hope the loading times get fixed for Excaliber....

I do love these plug ins and wish Michael all the best with whatever he does next....
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are discounts through the add-on coupons in your iZotope account. I have up to 50% (so 20% more than the current sale at 30% for everyone else.)

The one thing that is annoyingly missing is the "upgrade" paths. For instance going from Stratus to Stratus 3D. I hope they (iZotope or maybe Michael can suggest) rectify that before the end of the month.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
There are discounts through the add-on coupons in your iZotope account. I have up to 50% (so 20% more than the current sale at 30% for everyone else.)
Where would I see these coupons? I don't recall ever seeing one. Perhaps I never qualified and received one.. I'd certainly jump on a couple of plugins if I saw a 50% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
The one thing that is annoyingly missing is the "upgrade" paths. For instance going from Stratus to Stratus 3D. I hope they (iZotope or maybe Michael can suggest) rectify that before the end of the month.
See I feel like I saw something similar pretty recently; an "upgrade" path from Phoenixverb Surround to Stratus 3D. I could be misremembering that though. Either way I could see possibly justifying getting Post bundle 3 and Stratus 3D if at the right price.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where would I see these coupons? I don't recall ever seeing one. Perhaps I never qualified and received one.. I'd certainly jump on a couple of plugins if I saw a 50% discount.
These are dependent on what you previously own. Log into Izotope. The very first item in the left column is "upgrades" and then look in the right column for Exponential Audio offers with codes.
For 50% you need to already own:
Quote:
Any Exponential Audio product or bundle from Stratus, Stratus 3D, Symphony, Symphony 3D
50% off MSRP
For 35% you need to already own:
Quote:
Any Exponential Audio product or bundle from
NIMBUS, R4, PhoenixVerb Surround, or R2 Surround
35% off MSRP
So not everyone will get the 50% unless they are owners of previous products.

Quote:
See I feel like I saw something similar pretty recently; an "upgrade" path from Phoenixverb Surround to Stratus 3D. I could be misremembering that though. Either way I could see possibly justifying getting Post bundle 3 and Stratus 3D if at the right price.
I don't remember a PhoenixVerb Surround to Stratus3D specifically but Exponential Audio did have an upgrades page with lots of different upgrade paths. I don't expect iZotope to keep all of those (there were a ton and you could contact Michael directly if there was a different product you wanted to migrate/add) but I'd expect a few of the obvious ones to stay like moving from Phoenix to PhoenixSurround or Stratus or Symphony to Stratus3D or Symphony3D.

I think the add-on coupon codes that iZotope is doing for current owners takes care of some of the "upgrade" paths as they are completely different plugins.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post

Michael, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback here. And it was an absolute pleasure to meet you in person (and ask more questions...lol) at NAB a couple weeks ago! Very informative!!
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

Migrate Exponential Audio products to iZotope Product Portal (one of the most user friendly licence manager solution on the market) and talk to iZotope graphic department let Exponential Audio GUI conform to iZotope standard look and feel.
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by szakkor View Post
Migrate Exponential Audio products to iZotope Product Portal (one of the most user friendly licence manager solution on the market) and talk to iZotope graphic department let Exponential Audio GUI conform to iZotope standard look and feel.
Yeah good point. Looking forward to checking out what iZotope will do with those plug-ins.

Quote:
I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall that originally Michael coded two essentially different "types" of reverb, with the "R" being one and "Phoenix" the other. Phoenixverb sounded more natural to me and R2 more along the lines of "musical" reverbs of the past. So I could see separate uses for the two, broadly speaking (you could obviously gravitate towards a more colored musical reverb for effect on dialog).

Then as far as I recall the two evolved into newer reverbs with more functionality. I think those were Nimbus / Stratus, meaning one is based on "R" the other on "Phoenix". And finally there was added support for 3D reverbs.

Hopefully someone can clarify the above.
I think that's correct. From what I've read on other threads Phoenix/Nimbus are the "realistic" reverbs while R2/R4 are like Lexicons i.e. "lush" sounding.
Old 13th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
From what I've read on other threads Phoenix/Nimbus are the "realistic" reverbs while R2/R4 are like Lexicons i.e. "lush" sounding.
That's correct! Still the best itb reverbs imo.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Izotope please consider 2 ilok licenses so I can have one on my ilok and one on my machine. R4 is my favorite reverb!
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Does Izotope cares now about previous Exponential Audio Customers?

Is there any change about licensing?

I got a broken iLok (not my fauilt, just stopped working) and i wont pay any cent to iLok/Pace whatever, no 49$ recovery fee and/or 55$ shipping from europe.

I guess i wont be able to use all the software anymore i got on the iLok but i would be very grateful if there is any option that i still can use Phoenix and Excalibur i`ve bought a few years ago.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search