Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   I just found a place with ridiculous gear! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/994070-i-just-found-place-ridiculous-gear.html)

Leak1989 17th March 2015 04:14 AM

I just found a place with ridiculous gear!

I was browsing studios in the Nashville area to do some upcoming tracking for a group. I came across a place called "Money Studios". They literally have only one Preamp, one compressor, one EQ and one Microphone.

Here's the what they have and the prices I found for each :

16 EAR 660 Compressor 192,000$
16 EAR 824 Preamp 251,968$
8 EAR 825 EQ 125,984$
16 Telefunken ELA 251 144,000$

Total : 713,952$

Which by my opinion is the worst invested 714k in the music industry. I couldn't begin to even fathom what I could put in a place with that kind of money. Any others doing something like this? It seems a bit stupid to me!

Drumsound 17th March 2015 04:27 AM

Except for just 251s I don't mind that list. Well, maybe some compressor variation. One preamp and EQ is totally cool with me. How's the tracking space?

Leak1989 17th March 2015 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 10899933)
Except for just 251s I don't mind that list. Well, maybe some compressor variation. One preamp and EQ is totally cool with me. How's the tracking space?

They have several Iso spots and enough instruments spread out among 5 rooms that a band would go crazy in the place! And, it wouldn't work for me at all. I like my variety. If I do book the place I'll be bringing my own rack along for sure! Though, never using those EAR products I might just have to test them and see why so many!

Spigon 17th March 2015 04:45 AM

Man. I wish a had a band just to see how high-fi my mix will end up being lol. Someone should hire them to do the tracking and mixing and post it on here.

Leak1989 17th March 2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spigon (Post 10899971)
Man. I wish a had a band just to see how high-fi my mix will end up being lol. Someone should hire them to do the tracking and mixing and post it on here.

I can post my mix after visiting. Would you want only the EAR gear or with my included rack gear? I have Aurora Audio, API, A Deigns Pacifica, LA-2A's, Distressor's and etc. So, it's not like a huge step down compared to there stuff.

Spigon 17th March 2015 04:51 AM

Man that is a tough one. I would like to hear only the EAR stuff. But this is your money Leak. Do whatever makes you happy and I shall cope :)

Leak1989 17th March 2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spigon (Post 10899980)
Man that is a tough one. I would like to hear only the EAR stuff. But this is your money Leak. Do whatever makes you happy and I shall cope :)

Well, after seeing such, I'm wanting to test the EAR gear myself. I may just do a small 12-14 channel mix of drums, electric guitars, bass and vox. I'll track on nothing but the EAR's and post the sound clips here. I luckily have a little group of my own and can squeeze in a session or two of my own stuff to post for your listening pleasure.

Spigon 17th March 2015 05:02 AM

Thank you very much Leak! I bet other GS member will love it too.

Drumsound 17th March 2015 05:04 AM

There's NOTHING wrong with using one mic pre on every source.

Spigon 17th March 2015 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 10900001)
There's NOTHING wrong with using one mic pre on every source.

I don't think he was bashing them about only having one of everything. Just that more the same about of money you could have more versatility. Horses for courses though. My guess is having only one of everything makes it much easier for them to master their equipment and being such high quality pieces definitely help the mix when used properly; which becomes easier if you been mixing on it for years and everything is just duplicates of each other.

Drumsound 17th March 2015 05:17 AM

I never though he was bashing, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm just REALLY not a fan of tons of different pres on any given record.

Spigon 17th March 2015 05:32 AM

I see where you are coming from. Suffice it to say I really do like Money Studios approach now if only I can find a studio with 8 Soma's, 16 BA-660, 16 High-speed mic pre or Forssell SMP2, and 16 Brauner VM1 Klaus Heyne Edition; I'd probably would hang out there 24/7 lol.

Leak1989 17th March 2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 10900031)
I never though he was bashing, and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm just REALLY not a fan of tons of different pres on any given record.

I'm not either to be honest. I usually try to track everything with the same pre so the mojo stacks between tracks. Some instances are different though and I love the way a API pre on Drums and Guitars compliment a Neveish pre on Bass and Vocals. That may be way off track, (pun intended) but to me, much like everyone else I prefer certain pieces on different instruments.

To be fair, back in the old days major studios used what pre's were available on the desk and had no problem doing so! I wasn't bashing them for having all the same gear either. Was just saying for such an outstanding amount of money invested I could build 3-4 studios of exceptional quality.

Drumsound 17th March 2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leak1989 (Post 10900079)
I'm not either to be honest. I usually try to track everything with the same pre so the mojo stacks between tracks. Some instances are different though and I love the way a API pre on Drums and Guitars compliment a Neveish pre on Bass and Vocals. That may be way off track, (pun intended) but to me, much like everyone else I prefer certain pieces on different instruments.

To be fair, back in the old days major studios used what pre's were available on the desk and had no problem doing so! I wasn't bashing them for having all the same gear either. Was just saying for such an outstanding amount of money invested I could build 3-4 studios of exceptional quality.

I go mostly old school and use my console for almost everything but lead vocal and (sometimes) acoustic guitars.

You could build quite a nice room with that budget, or 4.

RoundBadge 17th March 2015 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leak1989 (Post 10899912)
I was browsing studios in the Nashville area to do some upcoming tracking for a group. I came across a place called "Money Studios". They literally have only one Preamp, one compressor, one EQ and one Microphone.

Here's the what they have and the prices I found for each :

16 EAR 660 Compressor 192,000$
16 EAR 824 Preamp 251,968$
8 EAR 825 EQ 125,984$
16 Telefunken ELA 251 144,000$

Total : 713,952$

Which by my opinion is the worst invested 714k in the music industry. I couldn't begin to even fathom what I could put in a place with that kind of money. Any others doing something like this? It seems a bit stupid to me!

interesting gear inventory.having owned some Ear stuff,very high-fi tube gear but imo pretty limited if you ask me.the 660's are super touchy and dialing them in quickly on a larger tracking date would be a pain,read: NOT versatile..sound good but the not holy grail.
you wouldn't pay anywhere near that and if you did,you'd made a monumentally bad business decision lol.

Leak1989 17th March 2015 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 10900094)
I go mostly old school and use my console for almost everything but lead vocal and (sometimes) acoustic guitars.

You could build quite a nice room with that budget, or 4.

I'm sort of intrigued as to what everyone would do with that kind of budget. Could you perhaps give me an example of what you'd with that kind of budget?

Leak1989 17th March 2015 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 10900122)
interesting gear inventory.having owned some Ear stuff,very high-fi tube gear but imo pretty limited if you ask me.the 660's are super touchy and dialing them in quickly on a larger tracking date would be a pain,read: NOT versatile..sound good but the not holy grail.
you wouldn't pay anywhere near that and if you did,you'd made a monumentally bad business decision lol.

I didn't pay it of course. I use a variety of different pre's and compressors. I tend to not EQ at all at the tracking stage. The source, mic placement and mic selection are a more then adequate EQ more times then not.

bassie12 17th March 2015 07:43 AM

Except for the lack of variety in microphones, I'm sure I could be quite comfortable with what is essentially the front end of an EAR console. I'be never liked the sound of lots of different pres on a given record. That's why I make a rule of owning at least 8 channels of any given preamp.

psykostx 17th March 2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leak1989 (Post 10900079)

I have similar taste. I like API on drum close mics, bass, and guitars. Neve on drum overheads, vocals and maybe lead guitar. Really it's API for dynamic mics and Neve for condensers I guess haha I'd really like to get an SSL superanalogue channel strup for snare drum and a second choice for extra clean vocals. A Tube Tech channel strip for the same.

Drumsound 17th March 2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leak1989 (Post 10900195)
I'm sort of intrigued as to what everyone would do with that kind of budget. Could you perhaps give me an example of what you'd with that kind of budget?

Assuming the build out is not part of that, I'd start with a really great console. Probably go with an API, maybe a Neve or something. Then a wide variety of mics and compression, mostly bought in pairs or quads.

Getalife2 17th March 2015 06:03 PM

Yo people. How does anybody know anything until you hear it?

Could be The Suck. Could be amazing.

How many incredible recordings were made in places nobody would have cared about until the incredible recording was made there?

By the way, to the OP. I can't find anything online at all on "Money Studios" in Smashville. Can you link it up for me? I will be tracking a band in Nashberg in April. I'm slightly intrigued. Not a likely spot, but interesting for sure.

edvdr76 17th March 2015 07:19 PM

This sounds like an interesting place..... Hey I think if the owner has that kind of money and wants that kind of studio, he can do what ever his little hearts desires!

BTW @ Leak1989 Does this studio have a website, facebook, etc? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to have a look at this place. kfhkh

MIKEHARRIS 17th March 2015 10:03 PM

I'm surprised it's not called "Wet Dream Studios"

Leak1989 17th March 2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getalife2 (Post 10901186)
Yo people. How does anybody know anything until you hear it?

Could be The Suck. Could be amazing.

How many incredible recordings were made in places nobody would have cared about until the incredible recording was made there?

By the way, to the OP. I can't find anything online at all on "Money Studios" in Smashville. Can you link it up for me? I will be tracking a band in Nashberg in April. I'm slightly intrigued. Not a likely spot, but interesting for sure.

I found the article and contact infortmation on UltimateGuitar.
I can search my history and post the exact URL in just a few for everyone to see.

Joao B. 19th March 2015 02:46 PM

Same preamp and EQ it's alright for me, but I'm not sure about the 16 Tele 251.

I can't imagine myself using 16 at the same time!

Doc Mixwell 19th March 2015 03:28 PM

Cool story bro,

Strange Leaf 19th March 2015 03:37 PM

Choosing a recording chain in that place will be superfast.

G0G0MRM0J0 19th March 2015 04:06 PM

"Oh. So you guys don't have an Avalon and a U87"

psykostx 19th March 2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leak1989 (Post 10900195)

I'm making a list. Will post soon. It's taking a long time hahaha kfhkh

Hamsterdam 26th March 2019 06:01 PM

that is more than was paid for mine new, at the time when tape was the only game....worse, i sold it for Well less than purchase price...still loads of regret, but it was a necessity with what was on the horizon.