Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Geekslutz Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/)
-   -   help me out with my echocord tapeecho please! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/98245-help-me-out-my-echocord-tapeecho-please.html)

ddanyboy 8th December 2006 11:34 PM

help me out with my echocord tapeecho please!

hi
when i visited my girlfriends father he had an old dynacord super (echocord s 62) in his garage. pretty dusty, havent been used sine late -70..

I took it home cleened it carefully and it seems to be in good shape!
but when i went to the studio to try it out i coulnt get it to work, i dont know how to connect it! the lamps are lit and the motor are spinnig.

It worked well when he used it, but that was 30 years ago, hehe.

Its din connectors on the back labeled; instr 1, instr 2, 1, 2 and out. there are also an instr 3 (which is strange, cause there are no gain or bass/treble for that one!)

the only cables i got together with it was a din -> 1/4 jack female, and one din -> 4 rca..

here is a picture of it:
http://www.decoderdesign.com/media/echo600.jpg

I got sound from it by connect a bass to the 1/4 jack female, and on the out din i put the din -> 4 rca, and used on of the rca to my mixer. but the sound was still there even when i pluggen it out from the wall socket, so i guess it just went through it..

Have you got one, or have used one? Please tell me how to connect it!!
thanks in advance!
if this should be in the geekslutz forum, please move it..

ddanyboy 9th December 2006 11:34 AM

i forgot; there are also 2 din connectors on the front called remote cercuit and remote control. whats that?

grimreefer 9th December 2006 12:58 PM

Echocord super

Hello,
Nice Find, I believe these are quite sought after, and are very well made, Ive repaired a few of these and I hope the following information is useful;

INST 1 pin 1 = input
pin 2 = ground
pin 3 = output (low level. Possibly reverb only)

i.e. INST 1 socket is a combined input/output

INST 2 & INST 3 pin 1 = input
pin 2 = ground
pin 3 = no connection

i.e. INST 2 & 3 sockets are inputs only, INST 3 bypasses the preamp and
tone controls so is less sensitive, there is a preset level control
for INST 3 at the LH front somewhere, may be within the tape
loop compartment ?

MIC1 & MIC2 Pin 1 = hot ? (Unsure of phasing)
Pin 2 = ground
Pin 3 = cold ? (Unsure of phasing)
Pin 4 = output (high level, possibly Dry + Reverb)
Pin 5 = output (low level. Possibly reverb only)

OUTPUT Pin1 = (high level, possibly Dry + Reverb)
Pin 2 = ground
Pin 3 = (low level. Possibly reverb only)

The two front panel remote conectors are for footswitch conections and will
have no effect on the operation of the unit if left unnconnected.

With an input connected and switched on you should be able to see the
'Magic Eye' responding this is an indication of signal onto the tape loop.

One of the controls below the push buttons (may be tone?) can pull in and out
and is called Norm/Direct this does have an effect on the output but can't
remember now ?

Finally, and I don't wish to be appear patronising be there is a tape loop fitted
isn't there ?

Again very best wishes for this as these are excellent retro units.

Regards Mike A

ddanyboy 9th December 2006 04:34 PM

thanks a lot!!

drycounty 12th February 2009 07:53 AM

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just bought one of these in a lot of other mixers and stuff for $50.

I managed to piece together a power cable and it seems to start up just fine, the lights are all lit and the motor and tape spins.

I'd never heard of DIN until I reread this thread -- does anyone know if there is a company that makes DIN to XLR or 1/4" adapters?

Thanks in advance!!

monomono 6th July 2010 02:44 PM

I'm dredging up this old thread a second time!

I just picked up a Dynacord Echocord Super, I believe it's a S62. After cleaning
everything and replacing the weird power connector, I fired it up and at first it
worked great, except the reverb control and main tone control had no effect. The
tape loop is in ok condition.

The after about 10 minutes of use the delay level suddenly dropped significantly
and even with the feedback control on max I get only 2-3 echos. However, the
level of the direct signal is still good. Seems like a problem with the signal from the
playback heads?

I'm nervous to power it back on in case I damage the nice telefunken tubes.

Here is the schematic - would anyone here be able to point to any possible suspect
components I should replace first? Regardless, in due course I will replace the power
supply caps (C20, C25) and probably the rectifier also.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.binatech.se/S62.jpg

pippo64 2nd August 2010 12:35 PM

hi, i just bring back from my tech man, and he said the echocord have only two heads working on five, this is probably the main problem once you have the tape running and the tape is new, he suggest to find replacement heads for the echocord, they must be very small and 1/4 inch of course, i search on the net but no luck for me, does anyone can send links for heads replacement?
i'm shure this will fix all dynacord super.
so if somebody can help please
thanks

ahmo 3rd August 2010 04:37 PM

I just retored an Echocord Super 65 earlier this year. Great device! I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors except the motor run cap since it appears to be working well and I couldn't get at it easily.

It was really finicky until I replaced the electrolytic capacitors. There is one main dual capacitor that you should replace, I got a suitable one from ebay for $20.

The heads are only switched in with the push buttons, and the heads are not available, you might be able to get it relapped, but there are no replacements available. maybe your tech is wrong?

Replace the rectifier, but the caps are much more critical IMO, and there are very few electrolytics in there (like 5 or 6 maybe)

This thread was very helpful to me.

Repairing a tape echo with tubes (Dynacord Echocord Super 62a) - diyAudio

Also, the old tubes might be shot as well, so get some cheap new tubes to test and use in the non critical positions once it works.

The schematic shows the pin out on the din connectors, just cut a midi cable in half and use one wired up to the input and one to the output. Try the different inputs as well, they may not all be working. Also, the last knob on the front middle has a push pull switch for splitting dry and wet signals or combining them, or something like that. You might not hear the echo unless it is in one position.

So first order of business: Replace all Electrolytic capacitors (those with a plus sign on the schematic) get new tubes (cheap ones will do, mine came with 60's mullards and it doesn't sound that different with $15 JJ's, you can use 12AX7's in all positions, the 12AU7 is the erase oscillator and it works with either tube. Those telefunkens might be long gone and causing your troubles.
Then the rectifier. I skipped the rectifier because mine was working fine and the replacement I had made it noisy. I should try another replacement at some point.

I can't underestimate the improvement new caps made, dropped the noise and raised the level of the echos.

I studied this schematic for a month, and it is still fairly fresh in my mind, so I will be of help when I can be.

These are awesome sounding machines.

monomono 4th August 2010 02:16 PM

Hey ahmo, thanks for coming on here and sharing your knowledge.
I'm in the process of recapping my s62. I replaced the rectifier because I wasn't sure if it was the toxic selenium type. I now find the voltages are about 30v over what the schematic says they should be, so I'm going to increase R38.

Anyway it's basically working fine, except for a couple of issues - I wonder if you have any insight?

- Echo repeats are very 'thin', no low frequencies. Is this symptom of old tape? (I haven't replaced the loop yet).

- The leftmost of the 3 controls does nothing (can't recall the name of it, reverb something).

ahmo 4th August 2010 03:53 PM

Hey Monomono,

It is the selenium type if it's that square metal box. I kept mine in because the new one didn't sound as good (?) I might try another.

I also replaced the instrument input DINs and the Output DIN with quarter inch jacks. I made Din to quarter inch cables and din to XLR cables for the mic inputs from stuff I got at radio shack.

I got new tape loops from www.Mytapeecho.com and they work perfectly and made a big difference in the sound. So in short, you need some!

Also if you need a new pinch roller I got mine redone here since it had a little dent in it. www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

The left most control I think is effect volume, second is repeats, third is tone of repeats and has the push pull function.

Do the input tone controls effect your input signal?

Remember that the output is pseudo stereo, so if you make a cable for the output make sure you get both signals because one of them is quieter and the push pull switch effects which output has the echo.

IIRC, the dry signal can easily be louder than the echoes in one position of the push pull pot.

Also, don't underestimate new tubes, it can be pretty critical in chasing down gremlins. The tubes handle everything, amplifying the input signals (except inst. 3) driving the record heads, amping the receiving heads, everything. Good old tubes aren't critical in a lot of these functions. I gor 6 JJ ECC83 (12AX7) and put them in, then started switching in the 60's Mullards mine came with in different positions and it only made a good sonic difference in the input preamp stages, and even there it wasn't a huge difference. I tried some old Fisher (telefunken) tubes and it was the same story. So don't waste the life of the nice tubes you have in the mundane jobs of the echo unless you hear a real benefit when substituting them.

Great machine, it'll be worth the effort for sure.

Let me know how it works out.

monomono 4th August 2010 04:37 PM

Thanks! Yes, the input tone controls work. However the rightmost main tone control (the one that pulls in/out) doesn't seem to do much. I assume it's because I'm using a guitar and it only affects higher frequencies.

Great advice about tubes. Mine has mostly telefunken tubes which apparently are pretty valuable, so I may replace less critical ones with others I pulled from a Hammond organ.

My pinch roller also had a dent, but I attached it to a power drill and spun it on some fine sandpaper, and it seems fine now. Yes I'm a cheap b**tard.

I'd like to also replace the DINs but I couldn't see a clean way to remove them and mount 1/4 inch connectors. Do you have details/pics on how you did it?

I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall quality of this device so far. Even just using it as a guitar preamp it sounds great.

ahmo 4th August 2010 06:11 PM

If the hammond has Fisher tubes, those could be telefunken as well (score!) but yeah, try swapping out the tubes and see if it increases the sound level and quality.

the final tone control is the the tone of the repeats. the push pull interacts with both of the output signals, make sure you ahve them both patched into a mixer and pan them apart so you can ehar the difference.

Try the instrument 3 input to take the input tubes out of the equation, and try a powered instrument on both inputs (keyboard / organ etc) as the gain on the guitar signal could be suffering.

The quarter inch inputs and outputs I did with regular jacks and some washers to secure them in the DIN holes. It was pretty straight forward. BE careful with the inputs and outputs that need TRS jacks. Inst. 1 has an input and an output, but it is the same as the standard output so you could use a mono for that one. The mic inputs are a bit odd, so I just made din/xlr din/quarter inch inputs for those.

ahmo 10th August 2010 09:52 PM

How's it going?

monomono 11th August 2010 09:30 PM

No time to work on this at the moment! I'll post back as soon as I can get back on it.

monomono 19th August 2010 03:03 PM

Just saw this on ebay - an absolutely pristine S65:

Dynacord Vacuum Tube Echo and Reverberation Unit - NOS! on eBay.ca (item 230512946526 end time 25-Aug-10 00:24:41 EDT)

monomono 14th February 2011 03:19 PM

Finally got to work on this again. Replaced power supply caps and rectifier, noise is lower now.

Got a new tape loop but there's still a distinct lack of low end in the recorded signal from tape. This happens with all record and playback heads. Anyone have any ideas?

ahmo 14th February 2011 04:00 PM

Does the tone control by the input level control have any effect?

Turn it fully counter clockwise and you should get nice bass.

Could also be the electrolytics in the signal path dried out, there are not that many in there, replace them.

monomono 14th February 2011 05:19 PM

Yes, the input tone controls work. It's the signal coming off tape (and successive repeats) that have no bass.

Guess I'll replace the rest of the electrolytics next. Thanks!

edotd 12th June 2012 12:53 PM

I just picked up an echochord mini. I soldered a Din5 to jack cable, but I don't hear any delay, the tone control works, tape is rolling.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

fynsta 9th May 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimreefer (Post 1010408)
Hello,
Nice Find, I believe these are quite sought after, and are very well made, Ive repaired a few of these and I hope the following information is useful;

INST 1 pin 1 = input
pin 2 = ground
pin 3 = output (low level. Possibly reverb only)

i.e. INST 1 socket is a combined input/output

INST 2 & INST 3 pin 1 = input
pin 2 = ground
pin 3 = no connection

i.e. INST 2 & 3 sockets are inputs only, INST 3 bypasses the preamp and
tone controls so is less sensitive, there is a preset level control
for INST 3 at the LH front somewhere, may be within the tape
loop compartment ?

MIC1 & MIC2 Pin 1 = hot ? (Unsure of phasing)
Pin 2 = ground
Pin 3 = cold ? (Unsure of phasing)
Pin 4 = output (high level, possibly Dry + Reverb)
Pin 5 = output (low level. Possibly reverb only)

OUTPUT Pin1 = (high level, possibly Dry + Reverb)
Pin 2 = ground
Pin 3 = (low level. Possibly reverb only)

The two front panel remote conectors are for footswitch conections and will
have no effect on the operation of the unit if left unnconnected.

With an input connected and switched on you should be able to see the
'Magic Eye' responding this is an indication of signal onto the tape loop.

One of the controls below the push buttons (may be tone?) can pull in and out
and is called Norm/Direct this does have an effect on the output but can't
remember now ?

Finally, and I don't wish to be appear patronising be there is a tape loop fitted
isn't there ?

Again very best wishes for this as these are excellent retro units.

Regards Mike A

Blast from the past and maybe a little off topic but I think (for those who are trying to repair one, like I am) that it's important to notice that the Output (Ausgang) pins are actually

1. Dry
2. Ground
3. Delay/Rvb return

the rest is right but I felt somehow this needed to be corrected because I had the same problem as a lot of people have with this unit, which is : no echo, echo pots controls are because level controls for low weird buzz, ear-scorching noises while pushing trough the different settings, I thought that the whole delay part wasn't working because I had read here that the 1 pin was supposed to give me Dry + Wet when in fact the problem was simply coming from the calbe I used which only had the 1 and 2nd pins (since that's all you need to use the instrument input). You can also make a Din 3 and split it to two RCA using the Instr input 1 (the 3rd pin is an output too, as you stated before)

I have the schematics with some useful annotations on it as to what goes where etc (in French, sorry I can translate it all if needed). The previous guy who had it just sent it to me (obviously JUST after I spent a night trying to figure out the paths) and I just went like :facepalm: "I just spent a whole night because of an instrument cable"

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps3e8db17e.jpg

fynsta 9th May 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monomono (Post 6334635)
Yes, the input tone controls work. It's the signal coming off tape (and successive repeats) that have no bass.

Guess I'll replace the rest of the electrolytics next. Thanks!

it might come from the separated tone section of the delay, which is indicated right above on my Schematics by "TONE" (right next to output 3)
maybe check the caps in there see if it changes anything !

GaleanoToro 8th May 2017 06:35 PM

I have the same problem, Only changing the output cable for 3 Din Pin to RCA do the job or you had to recap, change selenium rectifier? Thanks

oldsmobuick 13th August 2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monomono (Post 6334635)

Hi, did you ever resolve the lack of bass? I have that issue with my 62. Almost like input and output are out of phase. I know it’s been a long time but figured I’d check. Thanks!