Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   best EQ for bass sculpting ? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/970006-best-eq-bass-sculpting.html)

blackfinder 29th November 2014 02:24 AM

best EQ for bass sculpting ?

what is the best EQ for manipulating bass frequencies precisely and obtain punch tight low end without phase shifting ?

let's go share your advice or experience! hooppie

Zyzygis 29th November 2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfinder (Post 10593596)
what is the best EQ for manipulating bass frequencies precisely and obtain punch tight low end without phase shifting ?

let's go share your advice or experience! hooppie

I just bought Acon Digital's Equalize for this very reason, the mixed phase seems to solve most of the problems with using steeper curves on highpass and keeps the transient punch intact. I also wanted it for steeper lowpass filtering to help with aliasing and digital harshness. Seems like a very well designed and transparent EQ
I have FF ProQ2 which I love for sculpting and chiselling, but I prefer the Acon for extreme topping and tailing somehow.

blackfinder 29th November 2014 03:08 AM

i tried many plugins on the "software side" , but what's the matter on the hardware ?

every time i use analog EQ i felt the sound is deeper and more vivid, although every hardware EQ has its best and bottom application.

syra 29th November 2014 03:33 AM

SSL brown or black. Best bass EQ in my book.

blackfinder 29th November 2014 04:06 AM

interesting, you mean those form SSL 4000 console ?
to get them i should find a pair of channel strips racked...
cause that EQ alone is not available... right ?

syra 29th November 2014 04:29 AM

You can get them for the Xracks or 500 series.

blackfinder 29th November 2014 04:42 AM

hey syra, do you meaning this ?

Solid State Logic | Music | 500 Series Modules

are they faithful replica of the vintage brown/black EQs or simply a "modern" marketing items ?

malekmusic 29th November 2014 04:44 AM

i think the great river harrison eqs bass band is plain beautiful.

blackfinder 29th November 2014 05:07 AM

yeah, although i'm not a big fan of 500 format i just looking at other EQs and reading bout GR 32EQ...

but what about GML 8200 or current Sontec mep 250 ?

OwensDrumming 29th November 2014 06:08 AM

In the hardware domain, for me, nothing beats a Pultec or Neve style EQ. They certainly aren't surgical, but for general sculpting and adding punch they are phenomenal. In the software domain, the Waves REDD plugins are great. For a cleaner and more precise sound, the Metric Halo Channel Strip plugin is awesome as well as the legacy McDSP FilterBank plugins. The MH sounds really, really close to an SSL and is great for in the box mixing. The FilterBank is super great with transients and is my favorite parametric EQ for kick drums and low end.

MarkyGoldstein 29th November 2014 07:58 AM

On the digital side you should also compare linear phase with all the rest, especially in the very low frequency. Let us know what you observed.

traumerei1838 29th November 2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein (Post 10594043)
On the digital side you should also compare linear phase with all the rest, especially in the very low frequency. Let us know what you observed.

Right. You were almost correct. Linear phase in low freq's can cause pre-ringing.
That being said, DDMF LP10 is the BOMB for that exact reason.
You want perfect lows and highs? You gotta find the proper delay (phase) per band (generally closer to minimal phase under 1k is a good rule IMHO)
It's a $40 plug. Experiment for yourself. As much as I hate sitting down to eq to the bijesus out of a single track, I get the exact results in my head.

nickelironsteel 29th November 2014 12:54 PM

unfiltered420 29th November 2014 02:19 PM

Nothing can hang with pultecs or even better, the massive passive.The MP is the only EQ I have heard that does not get harsh, and just sounds better and better the more you boost and cut. I use it on bass, and you can shape the crap out of it at extreme settings. It has an almost surreal quality to it, like ghost frequencies or something, like a high frequency halo. Something to do with the interacting bands. I'll try to post a clip.

kafka 29th November 2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malekmusic (Post 10593788)
i think the great river harrison eqs bass band is plain beautiful.

I'm not loving it, so far, as a tone sculptor. I think it's great for fine tweaks, but not a whole lot of character. More of a mixing EQ than a tracking EQ, if that makes sense to anybody but me.

The Manley MP does all the scuplting anyone could possibly want. Boost or cut like mad, with overlapping bands, and it never gets nasty or sounds like a filter. It does the Pultec thing beautifully.

salomonander 29th November 2014 07:43 PM

i like any good pultec type for this normally.

Slug1 29th November 2014 08:33 PM

Too many things to name. There are mix EQs and mastering EQs. Hardware and software. There was a big thread in the mastering forum on a similar subject.

Basstian_DE 29th November 2014 08:58 PM

best Bass Eq? Roger Schult!

Vintageidiot 30th November 2014 07:53 AM

I would agree Manley Massive Passive. Twist them hard and hear the kick show up front and center. Was just doing this last night at 150hz, it was awesome. On master buss to commercial releases. What fun....

Listening on ATC25's, can't get much better than this....

Remy Leloup 30th November 2014 10:06 AM

A Fantastic combo for Bass ( Eq and comp ) is the ADR Vocal Stresser absolute sleeper .

Amtec EQ is also stunning

I plan to get a second vocal stresser asap abduction

Gravity8058 1st December 2014 03:00 AM

Channel time 1st December 2014 09:00 AM

Kush Electra is my fav Bass EQ for lush and solid by far.
API 550a is good for solid
Neumann W492 nice as well,
Massive Passive is nice but not as defined as the above (due to curve size?)
Neve 1084 nice but not super versatile
But def fav 9 times out of 10 is the Kush Electra

blackfinder 1st December 2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slug1 (Post 10595104)
Too many things to name. There are mix EQs and mastering EQs. Hardware and software. There was a big thread in the mastering forum on a similar subject.

i searched there but not found a specific thread for bass duty, can you link us that discussion you're talking bout ? :)

Slug1 1st December 2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfinder (Post 10598811)
i searched there but not found a specific thread for bass duty, can you link us that discussion you're talking bout ? :)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mast...-low-band.html

I guess it is a little different. I'm more specifically about mastering EQs and those that provide more punch in the low end, rather than sculpting. But boy this is really really subjective. And eq that sculpts rock bass may not work as effectively on a jazz upright, or on a saw tooth synth bass. There are a lot of options out there for this. And for 100 posts there might be 90 different 'best eqs for bass sculpting'. But let 'er rip. Folks like these threads. There's always something to learn.

pasarireng 1st December 2014 08:05 PM

George Massenburg 8200

Mr. Bars 1st December 2014 11:05 PM

API 5500 + Sontec 250EX. Happy with results.

edvdr76 2nd December 2014 08:52 AM

The EQ on my Focusrite Red 6 is an amazing sculpting tool for bass. If you've never tried it I suggest you do!kfhkh

aramism 2nd December 2014 09:10 AM

siemens w295b has some insane "boom" bass for fattening. very NOT subtle and has 0 fine tuning capability. it either works or it doesn't depending on the source. but when it works, it has a huge low end unlike any other eq I have heard and really adds some body and rumble.

blackfinder 3rd December 2014 03:09 PM

what about a pair of SSL 4000 channel strips with 242 eq ?
many of you saying the 242 has great punch an sculpting capability...

Stitch333 3rd December 2014 03:44 PM

In the mix: Pultec for woomff....Ive been diggin a reconditioned Shure SR107 for nit-pickin bass eq...
Think it kinda depends on where, when and why, tho.