Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   NEVE 5465 16x4 complete calibration (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/969629-neve-5465-16x4-complete-calibration.html)

kungfuT 27th November 2014 02:18 AM

NEVE 5465 16x4 complete calibration

hi. I want to re-calibrate my board to make it 100% again.
How do I do this?? Are there any internal pots in the master section?? Would like all info to calibrate channels aux's and master section.
I have a complete bay wired to use when needed.
I'm also looking for a new EMT140S, and any studer or ampex 1" 8 track

Matt Syson 27th November 2014 09:40 AM

Hi
Before 'adjusting' anything you must FULLY test the frequency response of ALL channels as 'drift' from original calibration would only occur is someone has been 'adjusting' things or if the levels of the channel paths have changed which in an older desk may mean component degradation. If so this needs fixing first.
Matt S

Geoff_T 28th November 2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfuT (Post 10588931)
hi. I want to re-calibrate my board to make it 100% again.
How do I do this?? Are there any internal pots in the master section?? Would like all info to calibrate channels aux's and master section.
I have a complete bay wired to use when needed.
I'm also looking for a new EMT140S, and any studer or ampex 1" 8 track

Hi

Do you have a handbook? There are a lot of pots and I doubt many need any adjustment.

Yes, if you lift up the monitor panel there are many pots, all in clearly marked sections of the circuit board.

But you need an accurate signal source and an accurate system of measuring level.

Being old school, I don't trust meters on work stations whose calibration points are referenced to the clipping point of the converter and not the 0dBu/0.775 volts those consoles were calibrated to.

jkthtyrt

kungfuT 28th November 2014 10:20 PM

hi. thanks both for the replies.
Geoff- I do not have handbook. Can I buy copies from you????
I do not use it matched to calibrated converters, just aligned tape machines.

I had the thing fully recapped a few years ago. I really sounds great and works fine. I am interested in getting it to be the best it can be...
The channels are fine and there is no signal lost or tone loss over the years I have used it.

Geoff_T 28th November 2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfuT (Post 10593139)
hi. thanks both for the replies.
Geoff- I do not have handbook. Can I buy copies from you????
I do not use it matched to calibrated converters, just aligned tape machines.

I had the thing fully recapped a few years ago. I really sounds great and works fine. I am interested in getting it to be the best it can be...
The channels are fine and there is no signal lost or tone loss over the years I have used it.

Hi

I will PM you info on obtaining one

The console has a stable, built in oscillator. If you have a half decent multi-meter you can set the oscillator for 0.775 volts ac output... you need to adjust the level for the loading effect of what you connect it to.

The output is on an XLR so a short mic cable with a break-out you can connect the meter to, would work fine.

If you set the oscillator to +4dBu (1.228 volts ac) you could check the 0VU on the VU meters and then use the meters to check the console outputs.

jkthtyrt