Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   GML 8900 Alternatives? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/963081-gml-8900-alternatives.html)

Motoxxx 28th October 2014 12:57 AM

GML 8900 Alternatives?
 
After watching several videos on Youtube about the GML 8900 and knowing that Manley is no longer building them for GML, is there any other compressor options out there that are even similar to what it does? I love how the threshold/ratio/output work as a DRC on these boxes. I would be happy to find another unit that functions the same way even with out the other features that the GML does.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any ideas!

Motoxxx 28th October 2014 04:14 PM

I guess with 118 views so far and not a single response from the knowledgeable folks here in the High End section, that shows how special the GML8900 really is.

Bueler?....... Bueler?......:lol:

Doc No 28th October 2014 04:39 PM

Flux:: sound and picture development

bushwick 28th October 2014 04:41 PM

I will be selling mine and lots of other things when I get my gear out of storage.

kosmokrator 28th October 2014 11:27 PM

If it weren't for the ****ty meters that always seem to not function anymore after some time and are ridicuosly expensive, I know of no other compressor that is even remotely similar.

I'm not one geeking out on every new product that's introduced though.

syra 29th October 2014 12:31 AM

I haven't found a replacement for mine. I love it and use it from tracking to mixing.

TheLastByte 29th October 2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 10511826)
After watching several videos on Youtube about the GML 8900 and knowing that Manley is no longer building them for GML, is there any other compressor options out there that are even similar to what it does? I love how the threshold/ratio/output work as a DRC on these boxes. I would be happy to find another unit that functions the same way even with out the other features that the GML does.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any ideas!

I'd say 1 long straight piece of Copper Wire!

Cheers
TLB

Motoxxx 29th October 2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwick (Post 10513205)
I will be selling mine and lots of other things when I get my gear out of storage.


Well shoot me a note when you get ready to do that. I may be in a position to pick it up from you....that is of course assuming my new building is done and I don't have to be buying building materials any more!

Timesaver800W 31st October 2014 12:55 PM

of course no boxes sound alike, but what exactly are you after? 30 - 40 db controlable gain reduction? a comp that seems to react to perceived loudness, not just voltages? control over peaks? a chainsaw?

Motoxxx 31st October 2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timesaver800W (Post 10521092)
of course no boxes sound alike, but what exactly are you after? 30 - 40 db controlable gain reduction? a comp that seems to react to perceived loudness, not just voltages? control over peaks? a chainsaw?

I only need the chainsaw for getting a great piano sound much like George does!

Mostly looking for how the 8900 acts as a DRC looking toward the output first.

Doc Mixwell 1st November 2014 03:14 PM

Crane Song STC-8 is the box I would reach for,

Motoxxx 1st November 2014 06:42 PM

Thanks Doc! I will look into that! I have not had any experience with that box at all so it looks like I now have a bit of a mission quest!

syra 1st November 2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell (Post 10523413)
Crane Song STC-8 is the box I would reach for,

In a sense yes, but the 8900 is much more transparent.

Motoxxx 1st November 2014 08:27 PM

I just finished looking around for some info on the Crane Song and really didn't find much. It would be awesome to see a video where someone is demoing the box instead of just doing a sales video from NAMM or AES. Anyone have any audio samples to share?

Vintageidiot 3rd November 2014 03:42 AM

I had many files shared with me from ALLABOUTTONE (RIP) comparing STC to 33609, on dropbox. I'll check and see if I can still access them, I may not be of help though....

Samc 3rd November 2014 09:13 AM

The ADT V700 U796 M2 is very close in sound and offers a lot more in the way of options. I love both, but the ADT unit is out of this world.

It is clean even with with massive amounts of compression, but allows you to add harmonic distortion and a host of other things.

Doc Mixwell 3rd November 2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syra (Post 10523827)
In a sense yes, but the 8900 is much more transparent.

Dude it sounds different, nothing sounds like the GML, obviously, duh?
it is a home brew concoction. Im just saying, I would reach for the Crane Song, and have a lovely day. It might not be as transparent as the GML, but that doesn't matter to me. Woo fk/n Hoo.
as far as dynamics shaping goes, its very clean and surgical. I can mold the sound like clay. Hit the side-chain insert to control it more,

It is a Clean Dual Channel Compressor , Like the GML,
so in that sense....where a GML 8900 is not available or broken or whatever
...it is now unobtainable
and if I wanted to paint with a compressor and not a distortion, I would reach for the Crane Song.

Is the sense of which it makes?

Quote:

I just finished looking around for some info on the Crane Song and really didn't find much.


Not really sure why you can't find info. This thing has been around a long time.

Motoxxx 3rd November 2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell (Post 10527857)
Not really sure why you can't find info. This thing has been around a long time.

Yeah me either. I can find info about the Crane Song but no sound files. Not sure why someone that loves the units has not done a Youtube video showing it off and how it sounds. I have found a few of the GML8900 and there were some great ones a few months ago but most have been pulled down for some reason.


Has anyone heard at all if George is researching another manufacturer or if he is just calling a DONE as far as the GML line goes?

Motoxxx 3rd November 2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samc (Post 10527485)
The ADT V700 U796 M2 is very close in sound and offers a lot more in the way of options. I love both, but the ADT unit is out of this world.

It is clean even with with massive amounts of compression, but allows you to add harmonic distortion and a host of other things.

Thanks for the link. I wish they could at least post a picture of the unit and some sound files of it in action. Seems odd that they build nice large format consoles but don't put up an actual picture of the compressor. There is also no price shown. Looks like I would need to buy one of their own chassis to power the thing too?

Samc 3rd November 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 10528490)
Thanks for the link. I wish they could at least post a picture of the unit and some sound files of it in action. Seems odd that they build nice large format consoles but don't put up an actual picture of the compressor. There is also no price shown. Looks like I would need to buy one of their own chassis to power the thing too?

I can post a (real) picture of mine but it looks just like the drawing.

Did GML put up sound files? Without knowing how the original file sounds how will a crappy MP3 file help you?
Anyway, it is a module and will require a frame and power supply to operate. This thing has to be heard and yes, it will do what the GML does and more.

Motoxxx 4th November 2014 04:31 AM

I have no idea if GML ever put up sound files. I would think in todays marketplace any manufacturer could at least throw up a demo video showing an unprocessed file vs a processed one. Don't get me started on the whole MP3 thing!