Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   How hard do you push your B2 bomber? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/956124-how-hard-do-you-push-your-b2-bomber.html)

Callison 23rd September 2014 06:35 AM

How hard do you push your B2 bomber?

Just curious how everyone runs there bomber for tracking and mixing into. I have my input set to -18 and don't hit it hard. But I think it's time to try a few things. How do you run it and what does it do for you?

RoundBadge 23rd September 2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callison (Post 10430875)
Just curious how everyone runs there bomber for tracking and mixing into. I have my input set to -18 and don't hit it hard. But I think it's time to try a few things. How do you run it and what does it do for you?

for tracking it depends.I kinda treat it like tracking to tape..source by source.
for printing mix I typically hit it lower for max clarity and make up with the gain knob to get plenty of level back into the daw.but sometimes it just "feels" better to hit it harder.whatever sounds good.depends on material.

Slug1 23rd September 2014 05:21 PM

Mine sits after a summing box as my final AD before printing back to DAW. I typically push my SSL SIGMA and send that hotter signal into the Burl. For the program I work with, setting the Bomber to -20dB, which is the second lowest setting, seems to work almost every time. I'm just tapping the transformers, but it's super clean but adds that little bit of mid density to things like the snare. I'm not working in genres were I want fuzzy. I want tight and thick, so this setting seems to work more often then not.

Callison 23rd September 2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slug1 (Post 10431682)
Mine sits after a summing box as my final AD before printing back to DAW. I typically push my SSL SIGMA and send that hotter signal into the Burl. For the program I work with, setting the Bomber to -20dB, which is the second lowest setting, seems to work almost every time. I'm just tapping the transformers, but it's super clean but adds that little bit of mid density to things like the snare. I'm not working in genres were I want fuzzy. I want tight and thick, so this setting seems to work more often then not.

So what level are you reading on your b2 vu's when mixing?

RoundBadge 23rd September 2014 06:19 PM

Just to clarify the gain input knob on the B2 is post transformer.
So I'm hitting the tx lightly on stereo prints .
Having a Shadow hills comp and Pultecs prior gives me plenty of color options

bmss 23rd September 2014 10:58 PM

For vocals -12 all the time, other depending.

Callison 18th May 2015 10:02 PM

So I've just started giving mine a spank when printing a mix. Just got the warm audio pultechs, they are pretty hot so had to pull the trim back to -24. Sounds pretty great to me. Btm end bloom and those highs shift down slightly.

RoundBadge 18th May 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callison (Post 11056336)
So I've just started giving mine a spank when printing a mix. Just got the warm audio pultechs, they are pretty hot so had to pull the trim back to -24. Sounds pretty great to me. Btm end bloom and those highs shift down slightly.

Cool.be careful and A/b your before and after .
Yeah I don't dig hitting it too hard on mixes.
Losses the some transient and "air"

Callison 18th May 2015 10:23 PM

Defo looses some air but I'm just fine with that. I have been missing my atomic sumthang and doing this kinda reminds me of it! As long as you mix into it!!!

Deleted User 19th May 2015 01:18 AM

I'm using my B2 Burl as a direct to digital recorder, so far with only two channels on mic inputs. I don't have any compressors but I have a few different mic pres. I end up relying only on the VU meters of the Burl since the unit keeps track of any peaks. I generally tone down my mic amps to around 40 db of gain when using a condenser mic.

Typically I am playing acoustic guitar and singing live into the Burl. I back off on the gain levels if I'm getting red-lit peaks. I think it is ok to have a couple of yellow-lit LEDs but I would be interested in knowing how far away I am from clipping when I hit the first yellow LED.

axlepaas 19th May 2015 05:33 PM

Roundbadge said it best, it varies from source to source. I tend to hit mine a bit harder when tracking guitars....less on vocals...you just sort of "feel" how hard you need to hit it as you're dialing in the sound.

It varies when I'm mixing as well. My B2 is almost always set at -18db. My signal chain is Symphony I/0>Sigma>RND MBP>Burl B2. . Sometimes it works better to hit the SSL harder, sometimes maybe less SSL, more burl. I find that I'm basically mixing into them differently, mix by mix for the best results.

goldi 19th May 2015 06:33 PM

i've slammed it when printing drums.. works great (when you want that). in the yellow, sometimes clip when printing a mix, depending on where it's going or whether it even is going to mastering.