Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   hated uln 8, should I even bother with a symphony? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/931823-hated-uln-8-should-i-even-bother-symphony.html)

justbass4 28th May 2014 01:12 AM

hated uln 8, should I even bother with a symphony?

I hated my uln 8. I have a chance to get a symphony for a good price. the one with 8 preamps. do you think it will be more user friendly than a uln 8?

Noa 28th May 2014 01:17 AM

What do you dislike about the ULN-8?

SpiritShooter 28th May 2014 01:38 AM

I wouldn't, In my experience the Symphony 8x8 +8MP Preamp model generates a bunch of heat which in turn makes the fans run almost continuously. I returned mine after only a week.

The fans are loud, the pres are OK but not earth shattering. The Symphony 8x8 would be better with external pres of your choice.

justbass4 28th May 2014 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa (Post 10141247)

loved how it sounded; I hated moi console. hated it. despised it. but, I'm terrible at all that stuff. I just want something that sounds great without me having to engineer it.

justbass4 28th May 2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa (Post 10141247)

it was over my head, basically. but now that I went to a lower price unit, I can totally hear the difference.

Noa 28th May 2014 02:11 AM

Interesting. Well, it took me a month to get my head around it. When I did, after watching the videos over and over again, now I can't live without it. And, I might add, it's very easy once you get the concept. Why don't you try the Apollo stuff?

ben_allison 28th May 2014 04:30 AM

The MIO Console is not remotely difficult to use.

ben_allison 28th May 2014 04:30 AM

ben_allison 28th May 2014 04:31 AM

chrisrulesmore 28th May 2014 05:33 AM

Yes, the Apogee Maestro software is very simple to use as compared to the MIO Console. I've owned both and much preferred the Apogee for a variety of reasons.

Good luck.

181483 28th May 2014 06:28 AM

The MIO Console is a 'route anything, anywhere' kind of console. A virtual and scalable uber-console, if you will. The 80-bit summing is very nice and superior to any DAW summing I've heard, and along with the monitor controller, MH Character, on-board DSP, latency compensated i/o send and returns, pre and post insert direct outs, silent and instantly switchable routing scenes at a touch of a button...you name it: anything you could possibly want to do in any kind of workflow. Maestro (or UAD Console) is primitive at best in comparison. All that said, workflow is most important and to someone who does not regularly have to conceptualize and use varying complex signal flows, it can be a bit challenging to wrap your head around. Maybe the Maestro is better suited for some people, but one really cannot fault the MIO Console and the ULN-8. It is immensly deep and powerful and can be stupid simple to operate if you put the time into understanding its logic.

DonSpacht 28th May 2014 06:34 PM

Maestro is designed to be the antithesis of the "├╝ber-console" described above. It is as lightweight and simple as possible, so you can do what you need to do and then get back to recording. Many Symphony users only open Maestro infrequently, if at all.

Some people find the simplicity "primitive," others love it - kind of depends on how you feel about software mixers and control apps in general.

swafford 28th May 2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_allison (Post 10141596)

Well, it's certainly more complicated then posting on the internet.:lol:

Being a muso and not a engineer, it took me awhile to wrap my head around the work flow, but when I did, I was and continue to be blown away by the depth of the MIO routing and feature set.

duo jet 28th May 2014 10:24 PM

There are also templates in Mio that can get you up and running with everything you need for most applications in seconds, even if you have no idea how to set it up for yourself.

clonewar 29th May 2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonSpacht (Post 10142885)
Many Symphony users only open Maestro infrequently, if at all.

That's me.. I can't remember the last time I opened Maestro. If you're just looking for something where the ins and outs show up in your DAW it doesn't get much simpler.

[email protected] 29th May 2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_allison (Post 10141602)

But the posting algorithm is? Sorry couldn't resist.
Let's help the guy out and suggest some easier to use things, as he clearly found it difficult to use...
Maestro, Zen, Apollo [not sure if that's 'easier' than the halo?], etc.

ben_allison 29th May 2014 03:33 AM

Wow wtf happened. I hit reply once and GS went crazy.

Guys I know how to Internet, I swear!

Avening 29th May 2014 03:55 AM

Don't bother with the Apollo, or RME (Totalmix) if you're looking for "simple". Although after a slight learning curve, they're fine to use, it's still yet another screen/workflow/signal flow to remember. I had a UFX and an Apollo and although they were great in a lot of ways, I just grew tired of having that extra layer of complexity. Especially if you're used to Pro Tools HD where everything is incorporated in the DAW.

Go for a Symphony, but BUY THUNDERBRIDGE! This way you never have to open another software mixer to monitor. Use it exclusively in Pro Tools (or whatever DAW) and be done with it. This is what I did, and have absolutely no regrets.

NathanEldred 29th May 2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_allison (Post 10144059)

It's happened a couple times to me lately also. The forum won't tell you when your post is actually posted, and it either goes to a page that won't load at all or just stays on the page that says that you'll be redirected back to the thread you were on and never follows through. Next thing you know you've posted the same thing 2-3 times.

Nu-tra 29th May 2014 05:32 AM

The Symphony sounds pretty killer. I just purchased one a month ago. Maestro is pretty minimal. I wish you could have at least 6 mixes for live tracking for a whole band. I have to run at 64 buffer size to track a live band.

Led Music 29th May 2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritShooter (Post 10141291)
I wouldn't, In my experience the Symphony 8x8 +8MP Preamp model generates a bunch of heat which in turn makes the fans run almost continuously.

Strange. I've had a Symphony for years and never had fan noise issues like you've experienced.

natpub 29th May 2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_allison (Post 10144059)

it happens sometimes, fortunately rare--just delete the extras

clonewar 29th May 2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Music (Post 10144260)
Strange. I've had a Symphony for years and never had fan noise issues like you've experienced.

IME the fan noise is really only bad when you have two modules installed. I have the Apogee fan mod on mine (a big flexible magnet that covers the vent holes on one side and forces the fan to pull in air over the modules) and it's made a big difference.

NoVi 29th May 2014 05:02 PM

Have a look at the Symphony IO thread.

+ Sound quality

- Mac only, you are tied to the OS, and with the insane Apple stance at audio pro's not a good thing
- Only 16 channels over USB supported
- Personally I don't really like Maestro, don't know what MIO Console is about, but I find Maestro is confusing with defining input/output routing (but it could be me though)

ben_allison 30th May 2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natpub (Post 10144438)
it happens sometimes, fortunately rare--just delete the extras

But I like the extras. I've grown fond of them...

chet.d 31st May 2014 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duo jet (Post 10143448)
There are also templates in Mio that can get you up and running with everything you need for most applications in seconds, even if you have no idea how to set it up for yourself.

Although I can relate with the lack of interest in much of MIO's routing options & depth..
The good folks at MH got me in business w/ 2 templates (tracking & mixing) in 20 minutes or so. Other than the channel inserts, I never really mess around too much otherwise.

It's also good to know the options are there should they be needed.
The product & the people are just 1st rate.

NoVi 31st May 2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoVi (Post 10145154)
Have a look at the Symphony IO thread.

+ Sound quality

- Mac only, you are tied to the OS, and with the insane Apple stance at audio pro's not a good thing
- Only 16 channels over USB supported
- Personally I don't really like Maestro, don't know what MIO Console is about, but I find Maestro is confusing with defining input/output routing (but it could be me though)

- it's noisy

dogma 31st May 2014 11:31 PM

The mio mixer is a head scratcher but with the I/o plug it's made it a whole bunch easier that's for sure.
I can't wait until this update so I can use haloverb more than twice before running out of dsp - it's total crap at the moment. But it will be resolved totally by the update I'm lead to believe

justbass4 1st June 2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa (Post 10141361)
Interesting. Well, it took me a month to get my head around it. When I did, after watching the videos over and over again, now I can't live without it. And, I might add, it's very easy once you get the concept. Why don't you try the Apollo stuff?

I actually like maestro, but I'm only using the duet so its not possible to get confused. but like I said, I hear the difference. at first it seemed subtle when actually using it, but then when I compared it to the stuff I did with the uln 8 it was pretty substantially different. funny how that works. as far as apollo, I just got their two preamp model and I'm messing with it and I'll let you know. but I'm thinking it will be real nice but not symphony or uln 8 nice. so, it's kind of like. what's the point? yes, the plugin's but, well I don't know, I might love them so I let you all know around monday. thanks for responding.

justbass4 1st June 2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritShooter (Post 10141291)
I wouldn't, In my experience the Symphony 8x8 +8MP Preamp model generates a bunch of heat which in turn makes the fans run almost continuously. I returned mine after only a week.

The fans are loud, the pres are OK but not earth shattering. The Symphony 8x8 would be better with external pres of your choice.

I heard that too, which is the only thing that's stopped me from getting one because I don't have a control room so my mics would definately pick it up.