Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   New Chandler Germanium video (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/918426-new-chandler-germanium-video.html)

Motoxxx 31st March 2014 07:07 AM

New Chandler Germanium video
 
Hey guys. I just put together a video showing off some of the features of the Chandler Germanium Compressor. I have two of these things and use them a lot and I get a fair amount of people asking me for information about them. I do not work for Chandler and have no affiliation with them at all. Just an end user that finds himself reaching for these little gems a lot.

This is my first ever video and I needed a HPF for my voice and the actual video quality is grainy and I am not sure why. The other videos I just finished are much better. The guitar riff in this video is monotonous but serves its purpose for the video.

Let me know your thoughts both good and bad! I can take it. I have pretty thick skin!

Enjoy the video!

Chandler Germanium Compressor Review Demo - YouTube

Motoxxx 31st March 2014 07:48 PM

Would really like some feedback from anyone willing to comment on the video.

Grumblefoot 31st March 2014 08:49 PM

I liked it, it showed the versatility of the unit. A tad more light might make the settings easier to see. Good job and thanks.

_Mark 31st March 2014 09:43 PM

Can you do one on drums, synths, and/or vocals?

kikin 31st March 2014 10:40 PM

The only two things i will improve is lightning and video resolution. Having the video in HD and better light will make even better.... but other than that was great....

Motoxxx 1st April 2014 01:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree 100% about the lighting and resolution. I actually recorded it with a Zoom HD3 recorder and it is supposedly in HD but clearly there is some blurriness and I am not sure if it is a focus thing (can't manually focus the recording unit) and I changed around the lighting 3 different times and it looks fine on the recording units display. Not sure what is going on with it.

I'll see what I can come up with for the requested vocal, drum, and synth stuff.

Thanks again for the input. I may try to redo it all together if I can get the video portion sorted out better.

_Mark 1st April 2014 06:54 PM

I can send some material over, if you'd like!

Motoxxx 1st April 2014 07:54 PM

OK Mark...Sending you a PM....

steveyraff 1st April 2014 08:14 PM

My studio is sort of ambiently/dimly lit too, so videos tend to come out grainy for me. What I usually do is grab a little desk lamp with a good strong bulb in it, and point it towards whatever piece of gear I am videoing. This makes it less grainy.

I don't find the riff monotonous at all. On the contrary, I have demos for things like compressors that have constantly changing riffs - it makes it so much harder to hear the difference. You need to be listening to the same thing over and over using different settings to properly understand what it is doing. So this was a good thing on your behalf.

I wouldn't worry much about the sound of your voice and needed a HPF. I guess working in the studio makes it hard for us not to over think things like that, but at the end of the day, the vocal description is just to let us know what is happening.

Only thing that really popped out to me was that considering you are using low lighting, it was a little hard at first to see what you were pointing to on the compressor, as your pointer was also black.

Great review thought. Wish I could afford one of those! I like the variable circuit option.

Thanks for the video,
Steve.

Mrice 1st April 2014 08:26 PM

Thanks for the video. Have been wanting one for guitars.
What mic pre and mics did you use?

Yummerz 1st April 2014 10:59 PM

I'm curious what one of these can do with drums.

You did a good job showcasing the Chandler's tonal flexibility.

Motoxxx 2nd April 2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveyraff (Post 9996698)
My studio is sort of ambiently/dimly lit too, so videos tend to come out grainy for me. What I usually do is grab a little desk lamp with a good strong bulb in it, and point it towards whatever piece of gear I am videoing. This makes it less grainy.

Only thing that really popped out to me was that considering you are using low lighting, it was a little hard at first to see what you were pointing to on the compressor, as your pointer was also black.

Great review thought. Wish I could afford one of those! I like the variable circuit option.

Thanks for the video,
Steve.

The pointer was actually a screw driver with a chrome shaft! I had direct overhead light, plus the LED lights of the Furman. I just could not get that thing to look any better. I actually just got back from shopping for a new video camera. I think I found a solution but am going to research it a bit more just to make sure it will fit my needs.

Motoxxx 2nd April 2014 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummerz (Post 9997199)
I'm curious what one of these can do with drums.

You did a good job showcasing the Chandler's tonal flexibility.

Thanks for the kind words. I have some drum sub mixes being sent to me from another user. Once I get those I'll do another run through. I have a bunch on my system that is at my business in town, but here at my home I only have what is on my wifes system, which is what I was using to make the videos.

Motoxxx 2nd April 2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummerz (Post 9997199)
I'm curious what one of these can do with drums.

You did a good job showcasing the Chandler's tonal flexibility.

I really don't know which pre was used on that guitar. It was recorded a long time ago and in all honesty it sounds to me like it was tracked from a modeling pre amp like a Line 6 or something. There is certainly not a lot of tubey snap and dynamics on the original track.

riffmachine 2nd April 2014 09:38 AM

Thanks for posting the video. I thought it demonstrated the flexibility of the unit pretty well. What are you liking it on the most so far? - paul

gfunny72 2nd April 2014 02:38 PM

Thanks for posting
 
Great video, very helpful- thanks for posting!

Motoxxx 2nd April 2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riffmachine (Post 9998167)
Thanks for posting the video. I thought it demonstrated the flexibility of the unit pretty well. What are you liking it on the most so far? - paul

HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!! I am in Tacoma..:-)

I really like the Germanium on guitars both electric and acoustic. I have used them on drums quite a bit too and I really like what they do primarily on kick and snare. I have not strapped them across a drum submix as a pair though so I can't really comment on that. I tried them a few times on vocals but didn't find what I was looking for quickly so for the vocal track I would usually end up just going to another unit like a Distressor, 1176, or something I could dial in really quickly. That is not to say that the Chandler would be bad for vocals. It just didn't fire me up right away so I moved onto something else that would save some time.

I would think the Germanium would be stellar on sax, trumpet, flute etc. The attack on these things really is more flexible than on most other units I own and have worked with. It is just stellar for shaping that leading edge. Wade Goeke really nailed it with the attack in my opinion.

_Mark 3rd April 2014 12:29 AM

I've sent him four things, now.

Motoxxx 3rd April 2014 01:09 AM

Hey Mark..I just got the files. I will play around with them later tonight and hopefully have something up online to view by tomorrow morning. Sort of depends on how tired I get and how my wifes sleep schedule is. She just had surgery and is on meds so I am sort of on her schedule for the time being.

_Mark 3rd April 2014 04:36 AM

Oh, no problem, man! Take care of her! I was just letting everyone know something got sent over. I'm in no hurry!

mikeyman 3rd April 2014 05:32 AM

nice but those are expensive..Seems like some plugins could do the same thing

riffmachine 3rd April 2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 9999146)
HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!! I am in Tacoma..:-)

I really like the Germanium on guitars both electric and acoustic. I have used them on drums quite a bit too and I really like what they do primarily on kick and snare. I have not strapped them across a drum submix as a pair though so I can't really comment on that. I tried them a few times on vocals but didn't find what I was looking for quickly so for the vocal track I would usually end up just going to another unit like a Distressor, 1176, or something I could dial in really quickly. That is not to say that the Chandler would be bad for vocals. It just didn't fire me up right away so I moved onto something else that would save some time.

I would think the Germanium would be stellar on sax, trumpet, flute etc. The attack on these things really is more flexible than on most other units I own and have worked with. It is just stellar for shaping that leading edge. Wade Goeke really nailed it with the attack in my opinion.

Cool, back at ya Motoxxx. If you are ever in Seattle, you should get in contact and we can meet up for gear talk, coffee, beer, etc. :) Thanks for going in depth a bit more on your likes. I really like my Little Devil Comps and EQ's, but to be honest I don't have much experience with any other Chandler stuff. The Germanium's look like a pretty feature laden compressor, and I enjoyed your video walk through. I know that my Devil comps can really smack on the kick and snare, but they also work so well for so many other sources. The Germaniums have always been well recommended, and your video has got me thinking about them. :) - paul

Motoxxx 3rd April 2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyman (Post 10000764)
nice but those are expensive..Seems like some plugins could do the same thing

Not really expensive when you figure a Distressor is near $1400, an 1176 is $2K, an LA-2a is over $3k, I think with all of the colors you get with the Chandler Germaniums it makes them an incredible value.

Most people like me that use a combination of hybrid set up with hardware comps and EQs as well as plug ins will tell you that there is no substitute for hardware. The plugins can be cool and I have a ton of them but really, nothing gets the feel of a great analog box. None of the plugins I have sound or smack like any of the analog boxes I have. Period.

Motoxxx 3rd April 2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riffmachine (Post 10000885)
Cool, back at ya Motoxxx. If you are ever in Seattle, you should get in contact and we can meet up for gear talk, coffee, beer, etc. :) Thanks for going in depth a bit more on your likes. I really like my Little Devil Comps and EQ's, but to be honest I don't have much experience with any other Chandler stuff. The Germanium's look like a pretty feature laden compressor, and I enjoyed your video walk through. I know that my Devil comps can really smack on the kick and snare, but they also work so well for so many other sources. The Germaniums have always been well recommended, and your video has got me thinking about them. :) - paul

Would love to hook up and talk gear over any sort of beverage or meal....! As soon as my wife is better to be left alone I will have some time to make a trip up north. We will hook it up!

riffmachine 3rd April 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx (Post 10000905)
Would love to hook up and talk gear over any sort of beverage or meal....! As soon as my wife is better to be left alone I will have some time to make a trip up north. We will hook it up!

Right on. Looking forward to it :) - paul

Motoxxx 4th April 2014 02:54 AM

I had a setback today in trying to get to Marks audio clips he sent me. I was out of the house all day today and will try to get to them tonight. Sorry for the delay to anyone (including Mark) that was waiting to see the video of his files.

_Mark 11th April 2014 02:54 PM

Any progress?

Motoxxx 12th April 2014 06:56 PM

Hey Mark. Sorry for the delay. Things are starting to settle down a bit so I should be able to get to your audio clips by Sunday or Monday. Lots of family stuff going on at the moment but hopefully things will get back to normal this next week.

Slikjmuzik 12th April 2014 08:23 PM

Was it only the fact that it has more features and seemed to take longer to set right for a vocalist that really kept you from liking it more on vocals? I'm only asking because I tend to try more than one mic and preamp combination on vocalists here, so the extra features on just one unit I would think would help me narrow down on the actual chain quicker, no? Was that not the case for you? I really like the tone of this thing and it seems to be incredibly versatile. Also, I'm thinking a setting could be good for verses and maybe another would be good on choruses. Seems like a lot of options, at least for vocal tracking, would be a good thing, but would like to hear more of your thoughts on it actually.

Motoxxx 12th April 2014 09:21 PM

Hi Juilian. I only played with it on vocals for a little bit and didn't really find the mojo for the singers I was working with at that moment so I moved onto something else (1176 I think). I think I only actually tried it twice on vocals to be honest.

I don't really think that the number of features on the unit was hindering me from finding what I was after since changing the settings is really fast and easy. Once you play with it a bit you start to understand it just like any other piece of gear. Getting to great tones on drums, guitars, and basses is super fast and easy as it seems almost like it was designed with that purpose in mind. I also think your idea of having it work well with different settings on verses compared to choruses could be accurate but then again, in my experience that can be true of just about anything in any chain on any instrument.

I really should go through my files to see if I can find a good uncompressed vocal track and do a video with that too. Hardest part at the moment is just finding the time.