Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Is a toft audio atb 4 good bang for your buck? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/907035-toft-audio-atb-4-good-bang-your-buck.html)

colonelporridge 15th February 2014 01:09 PM

Is a toft audio atb 4 good bang for your buck?

Looking for some new preamps. And was I was considering buying the toft atb 4 channel. Has 4 preamps and 4 eqs. Plus I think it could be good for summing guitar tracks before going itb. It's 1400 euros in Europe. At this price is there a better quality to price ratio for four preamps?

frans 15th February 2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelporridge (Post 9857624)
At this price is there a better quality to price ratio for four preamps?

Yes. It depends what you're after. Do the search engine for Malcolm Toft to decide about the greater story. Explain what you want from a preamp, clean gain or strong color or what inbetween. Makes the question easier to answer.

colonelporridge 15th February 2014 01:29 PM

Colour from preamps. I always want colour. Different pres for different colours. But a lot of time with interface preamps has made me detest tranparent pres. I do realise there is a place for them though.

frans 15th February 2014 01:33 PM

Color is either in the transformers or in the amplification - transistors single ended (which can be tube-like) or tubes. Look for low gain discrete opamps like the JLM 99v or old Neve or Telefunken (which there are so many you got to know which are the good ones and which are the lemons) Gain staging is king for what you need.

colonelporridge 15th February 2014 02:08 PM

Do you think the toft might for the bill?

gravyface 15th February 2014 04:44 PM

From what I've read, the Toft pres are useable but nothing special; this was pretty much consensus on various reviews and a couple long Toft ATB16 threads.

I would look to lunchbox and the myriad of boutique pres out there like Classic API, Great River, etc. for cost effective flavour options.

Highphi 15th February 2014 04:47 PM

I don't think the Great River could be considered a "cost effective" flavour option... Aparently OK Computer was recorded entirley with the same kind of preamp that is in the ATB, it's on here somewhere deep deep in the archives... If you are in Europe chack out the DAV stuff. I have my eye on them at the moment.

Diogo C 15th February 2014 04:55 PM

Frans, you have the best signature of this entire board.

On topic: can you get an API 3124 for that money?

gravyface 15th February 2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highphi (Post 9858143)
I don't think the Great River could be considered a "cost effective" flavour option... Aparently OK Computer was recorded entirley with the same kind of preamp that is in the ATB, it's on here somewhere deep deep in the archives... If you are in Europe chack out the DAV stuff. I have my eye on them at the moment.

I think that album would be a classic if it was recording on Behringer Euro Rack preamps.