Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   New to UAD.. First Plugin choices and card spec? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/891575-new-uad-first-plugin-choices-card-spec.html)

Tansao 16th December 2013 07:20 AM

New to UAD.. First Plugin choices and card spec?

I'm planning on buying my first UAD card next week and understand that If I buy the UAD 2 Quad core card I get the analog classics bundle free...? (I hear some places offer $50/ or more vouchers to spend in the plugin store when you buy a quad is this true? ) Sweetwater sell it for $999 and don't seem to include a voucher.

How good is the analog bundle and what suggestions do you have as to my first UAD plugin purchases through the store?

I'd probably be looking at getting a compressor, EQ or reverb so any suggestions would be good.. preferably something that isn't a huge DSP hog like I know the Manley is. (Although will get that beast at some point! )

Thanks in advance!!
T

Mr. President 16th December 2013 08:40 AM

Something to be aware of...

One thing no one tells you about is the "up sell" they offer when you register your card. They will offer you a one time opportunity to create your own bundle (like any 3 plugs for $xxx or any 4 plugs for $xxx, etc..). I can't remember the specific options but I do remember that once you go past that page/screen the offer is over so be ready to take advantage of that while your registering. It's a great way to save quite a bit.

This is what happened to me with my quad and my octo card so I'm assuming it is something they always do but I could be wrong. I'm sure if you called them they can confirm if this is something they are still doing.

Tansao 16th December 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. President (Post 9680600)
One thing no one tells you about is the "up sell" they offer when you register your card. They will offer you a one time opportunity to create your own bundle (like any 3 plugs for $xxx or any 4 plugs for $xxx, etc..). I can't remember the specific options but I do remember that once you go past that page/screen the offer is over so be ready to take advantage of that while your registering. It's a great way to save quite a bit.

This is what happened to me with my quad and my octo card so I'm assuming it is something they always do but I could be wrong. I'm sure if you called them they can confirm if this is something they are still doing.

Very good to know! Thanks for that.. I'll be sure to check it out and make sure I'm on the lookout for any deals of that sort..

I'm sure the analog bundle is good, I just want dip more than my toe in the water straight away if you catch my meaning.. ha.

Cheers

chrisso 16th December 2013 08:55 AM

Also, the big annual sale is on right now. So get going.
I like Pultec Collection, EMT 140, 1176 Collection, but there's plenty of other good plug-ins.

Marando 16th December 2013 09:41 AM

Because of the current sale I have been spending a lot of time with the demo's.

The new 1176 collection and LA-2A collection have a "regular" price of $299 and when you have everything registered you probably see them discounted to $99 during the sale. This is a fantastic price imho, but keep in mind that the discount during the sale is only $50 for those because after the sale they will be $149 for you, as you have the classics and $149 is their "upgrade price". Yes, $99 is awesome but maybe you can get some plugins with a bigger discount first, getting them later after the sale will be a much more expensive experience.

Anyway, the following UAD plugins are the ones I believe are awesome:

Ocean Way - Awesome re-miking option, it's scary how good this sounds on vocals for example. Also amazing as a reverb!

API EQ's - It's so easy to make everything sound good, and the result doesn't sound artificial, it sounds so natural.

Trident-A - A smooth eq that works great on many things, sweetening guitars and vocals, add some oomph to kicks, make snares sound snappier. Lovely channel EQ and to me it sounds not like a clean digital EQ, it reminds me of the behaviour of analog EQ's.

New 1176 collection - Totally awesome, sounds fantastic!

New LA-2A collection - Can handle more gain reduction than the old LA-2A without problems. I love it!! Perfect on vocals and piano for example. It's a "make everything sound better" plugin for me.

Lexicon 224 - If you like the old Lexicon sound, this one will make you happy. I think it sounds really good.

Massive Passive - Amazing EQ, works so good on the master bus!

There are more amazing UAD plugins but the ones I mentioned are my favourite.

DeadPoet 16th December 2013 10:06 AM

I'm selling a Solo with a lot of plugins for cheap.....

Herwig

Billy Buck 16th December 2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansao (Post 9680498)
I'm planning on buying my first UAD card next week and understand that If I buy the UAD 2 Quad core card I get the analog classics bundle free...?

Yes, the plug-ins in the Analog Classics bundle (1176LN, 1176SE, LA2A, Pultec EQ, CS-1 & Realverb) are unlicensed and are included with the UAD software install. I believe with UAD v7.4 the Fairchild Legacy version is included as well.
When installing the UAD to a new computer you always install the software first, power down and then the hardware device.

Quote:

I hear some places offer $50/ or more vouchers to spend in the plugin store when you buy a quad is this true? ) Sweetwater sell it for $999 and don't seem to include a voucher.
The $50 plug-in voucher is included with every new UAD card. I think the Apollo is $100. It is deposited into your UA online account when you register the UAD device. When registering you will be given an opportunity to purchase deeply discounted plug-in vouchers as well.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

CPhoenix 16th December 2013 05:03 PM

Buy now... they have their winter sale going on.
Keep in the back of your mind though that they also have a very nice Summer sale. Winter sale is their best but.. Summer sale isn't bad.

You get the legacy 1176 and LA2A, plus a channel strip, reverb, and i think a modulation unit. Personally.. I get really far with the 1176 and LA2A in the analog classic. I am upgrading those on the 31st this month for the sale... however... don't sleep on how far you can get with those. They were good then and are good now. That would not be my part of my FIRST purchase... unless I had a ton of cash.

I know you said you'll get the Massive Passive later but.... man... that thing is unbelievably good to me. On the master bus... it seriously can make or break a song man... no joke. I've been able to do some ridiculous shaping to my songs I wouldn't have been able to achieve without it. It's just something about those curves.. and the flexibility.. that really really gets the job done. It's significant.. and is currently at its lowest price.

I'd also look at stuff like FATSO.. API Vision... EMT Plate ($99 right now.. that's a no brainer). Also scoop up the desser and limiter for cheap. Maybe the Moog filter.

You're really gonna have to grab it and do the trials to see what you like most. But.. almost everything in their catalog sounds great. It's just a matter of what you're going to actually use. I'm only getting the 1176/LA2A upgrades because I use the analog so much that I want the best they have available and i hear they sound great (haven't had time to test yet).. the EMT plate because I need a good plate and it sounds great as an additional reverb to Valhalla... Desser because it soudns great.. and SPL Transient b/c i don't have a good transient designer anymore since StillWell keeps glitching on me.

Tansao 16th December 2013 06:53 PM

Billy Buck, Marando, CPhoenix, Thanks so much for the input... Some great information there, exactly the kind of stuff I as looking for from people who know what the low down is with UAD.. I'm excited to start working with it as I think it will enhance my mixes and creating and make things easier too... After my limited use with some UAD stuff I know the quality is a step up from some of the native equivalents too.

What are people's opinions on the new fairchild stuff UAD just released?

Thanks again!! :))
T

Marando 16th December 2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansao (Post 9681491)
Billy Buck, Marando, CPhoenix, Thanks so much for the input... Some great information there, exactly the kind of stuff I as looking for from people who know what the low down is with UAD.. I'm excited to start working with it as I think it will enhance my mixes and creating and make things easier too... After my limited use with some UAD stuff I know the quality is a step up from some of the native equivalents too.

Thanks again!! :))
T

Only spend 10 minutes tops with the new Fairchild and compared it to the legacy Fairchild. I think the new plugins are very good, but what I found most interesting is that the legacy version is very good already, it's not like the difference between the legacy 1176 and new 1176 collection for example, but that's my opinion.

If you don't have the Fairchild plugin, sure, the new 660/670 is nice to have, but I would probably wait for it to have a discount. For people who already have the legacy Fairchild, I'm not so sure it's a very big step up. On the other hand, for those people it's only $149, and the 660 is pretty special.

Choices! gooof

Tansao 16th December 2013 09:17 PM

So I just got off the phone with UAD and the registration discounts they have are as follows... 3 plugins of your choice for $399 or 6 plugins for $799. Very interesting.
I have a friend that got the UAD Quad custom for $1200 which also includes the 3 plugin picks of your choice so If I can find it at the same price I'll be able to save money!

Been hearing loads about the fairchild Marando, thanks for the heads up... I might just trial a bunch and then see what sticks!

Billy Buck 16th December 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansao (Post 9681491)

I think it is the best MKII collection UA has released to date and I really do love the previous ones (1176, LA2A & Pultec). The Fairchild Legacy itself can be bit daunting to wrap your head around and get the most use out of it. Now the 660/670 Collection has taken it up a few notches with not only the sonic improvements (like the modeling of the amp & transformer sections of the hardware), but the added features (headroom, sidechain, mix control, etc..) take it to a whole new level of usefulness on many more sources. In addition, UA has included over 100 new artist presets and a new plug-in the 660.

Check out the bass example (dry & wet) in the link below (go to the "Listen" Tab). By simply adjusting the new HR control (headroom) you can take it from subtle sublime to analogish gritty in seconds. You simply can't do that with the legacy version or any native version for that matter.

Fairchild Tube Limiter Collection

Anyway, while you are checking out the UAD demo's, do go to the UA webstore to get more info on each plug-in you are interested in. Simply click on the plug-in and it will take you to each individual plug-ins product page. There you will find a wealth of information about the history of the replicated hardware, in-depth info on the plug-in and it's modeling, links to video's, articles, audio samples, etc...

Best regards,

Billy Buck

chrisso 16th December 2013 10:29 PM

It depends on your needs and the music you make. There are quite a few fantastic UAD plug-ins I would just never use in my music - Fairchild being one of them.

JAZJETSON 16th December 2013 11:00 PM

pultec and emt are great

ThunderShepherd 19th December 2013 08:41 AM

i've been pretty fed up with UAD just charging for upgrades to their old plugins and just charging too much in general. I have 35 of their plugs, so I just have a bad feeling that i'll have to re-buy all my plugs eventually when they make them better.

with that said. i've been thinking of either doing the Pultec mkII. anyone have any thoughts on it?

orpheus_ 25th December 2013 01:36 PM

I've just upgraded to the new Pultecs after using the old ones for a year. I keep gravitating to the Pultec plugin because I just find it so quick and so damn useful, compared to Harrison and SSL which are a bit more work. I set up a chain to A/B the old and new plugins side by side at the same levels...

The EQ itself sounds mostly the same but the separation between the instruments sounds different. Side by side the old plugin sounds quite up-front, forward, flat and tight... the new plugins sound more relaxed with more space between the instruments. Not wishy-washy and pushed back but just more relaxed and open. There is a mild compression on the beginning of sharp transients that I like, and the separation between front/back/left/right is much clearer. The new plugins also seem to handle extreme EQ situations better... for example, boosting AND attenuating the bass at the same time to get a resonant notch, sounds more pleasing to me as an effect on the new plugin, not that I really use this), and the new plugin sounded less resonant or boxy on some EQ settings - I usually use the Pultecs as a relatively uncoloured EQ so that's good for me.

I'd be interested to hear other people's impressions... I liked it enough to buy the upgrade but I wouldn't consider it a must have, I've used the old Pultecs so much I would easily be happy with them, they're just so useful... Really I only bought it because of the EOY sale and some spare coupons so it cost $74 which I think was well spent for a more open relaxed sound which suits my style of music.

The worst and best thing about UAD is that so many of them are really good, imho!! :)

dankin 26th December 2013 06:06 AM

I think the new Fairchild is killer. I've been using it on drum bus thanks to the built in filter and mix knob (all plugin comps should have a mix knob IMO). It's killer on bass and vocals as well. For me compression is where UAD really shines. EQ wise I really like the API bundle, the Pultecs and the Harrison.

gear is cool 28th December 2013 03:26 AM

I did a shoot out with my real Pultec EQP1 and the UAD plug version today.

I told my assistant that this may not be totally fair, its might be like beating up the ******** kid.

Dang it if this plug didn't sound great. I was shocked...

It responded like my hardware well maybe the HW was a touch smoother on the top end, but just a touch.

Color me impressed...*Mats reference*

Bobby Baird 20th January 2014 12:23 AM

I just picked up the Ampex ATR-102 during the December sale and it now lives on my 2 bus. I never used real tape, but this plugin has a presence and a glue. I highly recommend it.

Screwup 2nd February 2014 04:41 AM

Registering used apollo

Hi there - anyone know if UA offers the 2 for $299 or 3 for $399 discount packages to people who register used devices e.g. a used Apollo?

Thanks ...

mutetourettes 6th February 2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwup (Post 9816416)
Hi there - anyone know if UA offers the 2 for $299 or 3 for $399 discount packages to people who register used devices e.g. a used Apollo?

Thanks ...

+1 for this question... a year later...... anyone?

superscan 6th February 2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutetourettes (Post 10796212)
+1 for this question... a year later...... anyone?

Yes, it still exists. I got a Twin right around New Years. There was a deal to upgrade to full Amp Room bundle or any three for $399, 6 for $799.

You get 45 days to decide or they pick from the most popular ones for you.

mutetourettes 6th February 2015 10:52 PM

you got a USED twin? if so that's good to know, thanks!

superscan 8th February 2015 04:02 AM

Sorry I missed the USED part. I bought new. Again my apologies.