Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Warm Audio WA76 Limiting Amplifier!! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/888453-warm-audio-wa76-limiting-amplifier.html)

Grahamdwc 3rd December 2013 01:19 PM

Warm Audio WA76 Limiting Amplifier!!

1 Attachment(s)

The Limiting Amplifier is a modern reproduction of the Classic Revision D. Every effort was made to remain faithful to the original designs including the use of Reichenbach Engineering’s (now CineMag) transformer design that was originally used. The classic was a major breakthrough in limiter technology — the first true peak limiter with all transistor circuitry offering superior performance with a signature sound — and set the standard for all limiters to follow. The ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studio moguls alike to the — Peter Frampton, Joe Satriani, Joe Chiccarelli, Vance Powell, and Mike Elizondo are just a few names on a list that’s continued to grow, for nearly 50 years.

"I am asked often how Warm Audio is able to produce such high quality gear at affordable prices. Many assume we must be cutting corners on the designs themselves but my answer to this question continues to be “NO”. Warm Audio stays true to original discrete schematics and does this without cheapening components such as our continued use of world class Reichenbach/CineMag transformers."

A few reasons we’re able to do this:
- There is only one total employee/owner, so overhead costs are very low.
- We manufacture in very high quantities, usually at least 500 pieces at a time. We receive extreme quantity breaks from both our assembly house and CineMag transformers for this.
- We do not make much profit off of each unit, but sell quite a few units. I started the company more out of passion than for the desire to turn huge profits. I enjoy shaking the price floor of this industry a bit where prices in many cases are just too high in my opinion.
- Because our products are so impressive at their respective price points, word of mouth spreads the word. This leaves little work for us to do to promote and sell the products.

Specs:
  • True to the Classic compressor in design and performance
  • Completely discrete signal path
  • Modeled after the D revision
  • Utilizes USA made CINEMAG input and output transformers
  • Supports the famous “all buttons in” ratio setting
  • Ultra fast attack time
  • Class A line level output amplifier
  • Input impedance - 600 ohms, bridges-T control (floating)
  • Frequency Response ± 1 dB 20 Hz to 20kHz
  • XLR and TRS inputs. XLR and TRS outputs
  • 55db of gain
  • Less than 0.4% total harmonic distortion from 50 Hz to 20 kHz with limiting
  • Signal to noise ratio is greater than 74 dB at +25 dBm
  • EIN -104.1 dbm
  • Attack time, 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
  • Release time, 50 milliseconds to 1 second
  • Meter provides dB gain reduction and dB output
  • Internal power supply, external 24v AC power transformer
  • 19" Rackmount chassis, 2U
  • 1-year warranty
  • -23db pad switch on the backside (t's helpful when running a high-gain mic pre without output control (like the ) into the . It gives you more flexibility/rotation out of the input/compression knob since the signal won't hit the compression threshold as quickly.)

Price is $599 US, 649 Euro inc VAT in Europe and 549GBP inc VAT in the UK.

Link : Warm Audio Microphone Pre-Amps | Discrete Compressor

ReckNC00 3rd December 2013 01:29 PM

Whoa...

SWAN808 3rd December 2013 01:49 PM

Whoa +1

Shame about the Euro price difference...but still pretty sweet - 1176 with cinemags for £500

myHero 3rd December 2013 02:24 PM

Wow. They're gonna sell a ton of these if that really is the price point.

lectric 3rd December 2013 02:52 PM

Ay mi madre¡¡¡

LaurensG 3rd December 2013 03:02 PM

It's like they read my mind. I was just researching the DIY possibilities of this yesterday, but I have no experience in electronics whatsoever. This is awesome!

herecomesyourman 3rd December 2013 03:07 PM

I'm just curious how they kept the price down this low...it's certainly interesting they chose to keep with cinemags, etc. I would bet like the Tone Beast and the FMR stuff they're using a wallwart to keep it that easy on the wallet. (Which I have no problem with.)

alkor 3rd December 2013 03:09 PM

cool

Analogue Mastering 3rd December 2013 03:10 PM

Looking good!

Sent from my iPad HD

Avening 3rd December 2013 03:12 PM

Looks great! Very glad the faceplace is black with orange text ....

Now they just need to do that with every other product they have!

Ward Pike 3rd December 2013 03:43 PM

Going to near the top of the acquisitions' list now! I'll write a review when I get one. If I like it a lot, I'll buy more. Thanks for the tip!!

Ward Pike 3rd December 2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herecomesyourman (Post 9643982)
I'm just curious how they kept the price down this low...it's certainly interesting they chose to keep with cinemags, etc. I would bet like the Tone Beast and the FMR stuff they're using a wallwart to keep it that easy on the wallet. (Which I have no problem with.)

Price is low probably because they're being reasonable. The consumer price on buying the parts to make this is no more than $500. Producing them and buying them in bulk, costs are prolly down to $150 a unit. So the price reflects what is fair as opposed to "how much can we possibly greedily profit off of each of our customers".

Rev D isn't the most expensive to reproduce either. From what I've been told, it's more spendy to get all the parts needed to build an authentic Rev F or Rev H clone - and even then, under $600 (consumer prices),

SWAN808 3rd December 2013 04:16 PM

I suppose the slimmer margin is hoped to be made up in increased sales...and so long as they are fairly alone in this price bracket I would hope it works.

This is the unit electronic people should buy to record their synths - rather than spending on Pre Amps that arent really used...you get a coloured line amp and FET compressor kfhkh

Wonder if there is a link feature?

jordanvoth 3rd December 2013 04:19 PM

Ridiculous pricepoint.

Enlightened Hand 3rd December 2013 04:23 PM

They definitely have my attention.

analogtodd 3rd December 2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Pike (Post 9644076)
Price is low probably because they're being reasonable. The consumer price on buying the parts to make this is no more than $500. Producing them and buying them in bulk, costs are prolly down to $150 a unit. So the price reflects what is fair as opposed to "how much can we possibly greedily profit off of each of our customers".

Rev D isn't the most expensive to reproduce either. From what I've been told, it's more spendy to get all the parts needed to build an authentic Rev F or Rev H clone - and even then, under $600 (consumer prices),

The G & H don't have input transformers, which eliminates cost. Not sure what you've heard about the 'D', but A-F all have relatively the same parts, production-wise. Its very small differences along the way (biggest being the -LN circuit)

After building and owning lots of these, I can say.... they ALL sound like 1176's! heh

This WARM WA76 looks amazing, I love the color scheme!

SpencerWalters 3rd December 2013 04:29 PM

I leave gearslutz for two months then come back to see this. It's like an early Christmas. *drool*

RusRant 3rd December 2013 05:14 PM

Interesting!

omnialinx 3rd December 2013 05:46 PM

I know I will buy this. I have been saving for a rev d -be it diy, clone or original for a while now and I really like the wa12 (despite the hype). I think these guys make quality gear. I was gonna pull the trigger sooner but I think now I will just wait although I'm sure it will sound different from all the other clones should I buy one sooner and I can't imagine having two 1176's as being bad.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G

Inverted314 3rd December 2013 05:51 PM

Wow. These guys are killing it!

I was thinking about getting a Neve 5017, but maybe I should just get this and the Tonebeast for the same price.

EngineerTHIS 3rd December 2013 05:53 PM

Be still my heart... If the price point of the wa12 is any indicator we should be sitting pretty.

Callison 3rd December 2013 05:58 PM

Room mic smash!!!

WarmAudio 3rd December 2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Pike (Post 9644076)

Really happy with the excitement, glad people are looking forward to this! Ward Pike, you are correct with mass production, our first run will be 500 units! Our cost is a bit more than $150 since we are sticking to high quality parts such as CineMag transformers and discrete circuitry.

Here are some facts:

- Price is $599 US, 649 Euro inc VAT in Europe and 549GBP inc VAT in the UK.
- CineMag transformers in and out. Same Reichenbach engineering output transformer design as original UREI version (CineMag now owns Reichenbach).
- Rev D
- High quality discrete signal path, even going the extra mile with some parts, including tantalum capacitors etc...
- YES, it can do the "all in limiting" --- some of you know what I'm talking aboutdiddlydoo
- Power supply is internal (like all of our products) power transformer external (as usual) it will not be a "wall wart" style but "line lump" so it doesn't block space at the AC outlet like the WA12 power transformer does..
- It is extremely musical, but still very transparent, the transformers hold up nicely when pushed. I've run some intense compression and it doesn't sound "squashed" or "gross" even with drastic 20-25db's of compression.

warhead 3rd December 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWAN808 (Post 9644170)
Wonder if there is a link feature?

There will be at ZenPro Audio with a stereo link mod, stay tuned.

Congrats Bryce, man these things are gonna fly...fly...fly.

War peachh

depulse 3rd December 2013 08:30 PM

Could you add a mix control at this stage or it it too late?

Looks great, I want 1 or 2.

philipNL 3rd December 2013 08:46 PM

Ill buy one in a heartbeat. When can I pre order this? :) (the Netherlands)

WarmAudio 3rd December 2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipNL (Post 9644995)
Ill buy one in a heartbeat. When can I pre order this? :) (the Netherlands)

kfhkh Helios will have them: https://www.helios-online.nl/shop/product/21-134/wa76, contact email is [email protected]

We anticipate these to be available in February (in some territories) and everywhere by March, so 3-4 months.

Audio Child 3rd December 2013 08:58 PM

Very exciting times!

mistaD 3rd December 2013 09:01 PM

Cant wait to get my hands on one.... but transparent 1176?! Aint that an oxymoron? Or is this a tweaked design?

Sent from my SGH-I317M

philipNL 3rd December 2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarmAudio (Post 9645016)
kfhkh Helios will have them: https://www.helios-online.nl/shop/product/21-134/wa76, contact email is [email protected]

We anticipate these to be available in February (in some territories) and everywhere by March, so 3-4 months.

cheers mate