Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Neve 1073LB or Heritage Audio 73JR? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/885997-neve-1073lb-heritage-audio-73jr.html)

tguy 22nd November 2013 10:21 PM

Neve 1073LB or Heritage Audio 73JR?
 
Title says it all. Has anyone compared these side by side?

kikin 23rd November 2013 01:11 AM

I have both. To me both have similar tonal characteristic but the Jr73 has a lot more bottom end its more rounded. I got my 1073LB a year ago and i used them constantly for the last year and i am very pleased with the results. But when it was time to get two more i gave the Jr a shot and i could not be more please. But i don't have any reason to sell the 1073 LB. Both are very good as i said already.....

hope it helps...

shamanrock 23rd November 2013 02:04 AM

I was just told by chance from a high up source that the Heritage is crap. I've never heard one so I cant say from my own experience.

SoZo 23rd November 2013 03:02 AM

73jr is amazing....

therock 23rd November 2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamanrock (Post 9615279)
I was just told by chance from a high up source that the Heritage is crap.

but according to Heritage, it is great :lol:

tguy 23rd November 2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikin (Post 9615164)
I have both. To me both have similar tonal characteristic but the Jr73 has a lot more bottom end its more rounded. I got my 1073LB a year ago and i used them constantly for the last year and i am very pleased with the results. But when it was time to get two more i gave the Jr a shot and i could not be more please. But i don't have any reason to sell the 1073 LB. Both are very good as i said already.....

hope it helps...

Interesting... Can you elaborate a bit more about the low end and mid range on the JR?

baslotto 24th November 2013 10:36 PM

Heritage is insanely good. I just got myself a 1073/500 and I can't wait to get another one.

H89 24th November 2013 11:20 PM

I have the 1073lb and Heritage 8173 10 series modules (not lb). They both stack up side by side, but I would expect the Ams Neve to hold up better for resale just because of the name. Many people don't even know about Heritage and lump it with any other 1073 clone.

Without the EQ, the 1073 is IMHO, just another really nice preamp. Consider getting the Ams Neve 88rs LB which includes a gritty FB trim and a HPF for the same price. And it matches the circuitry of the full AMS-Neve 88 console at a good price point.

tguy 10th December 2013 03:18 PM

So I ended up going with the Heritage 1073JR. I wasn't able to A/Bit with the 1073LB. But the preamp is really nice upon first power on. Very smooth. The only thing I noticed is when going from 42 to 45 db of gain on the input, I get a super loud "pop". The pop also occurs when going back down to 42db of gain. Has anyone else experienced this? Or did I get a defective unit?

SoZo 11th December 2013 01:57 AM

I could be talking out of my but however I think they go from 2 - 3 gain stages somewhere it could be there ...

Heritage Audio 19th December 2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoZo (Post 9666329)
I could be talking out of my but however I think they go from 2 - 3 gain stages somewhere it could be there ...

You´re correct sir

SoZo 20th December 2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heritage Audio (Post 9689851)
You´re correct sir

Good to know! Understanding precisely where it changes will allow me to further predict the gain staging and tone I desire... ! Thanks!

herecomesyourman 20th December 2013 02:13 PM

I prefer the Heritage myself.

MacroMike 15th February 2014 12:59 AM

Are you guys still digging your Heritage 73jrs? I'm thinking about picking one up. Thanks

SoZo 15th February 2014 02:43 AM

Just got another 73JR....

nickelironsteel 15th February 2014 02:07 PM

Had a pair to demo and didnt sound like neve

Doc Goodin 15th February 2014 03:05 PM

I have a pair of HA JR73s and I dig them. Never had a real Neve, but out of Vintech,
CAPI VP28s and Daking they are my go to pre for everything.

Cucaio75 15th February 2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelironsteel (Post 9857737)
Had a pair to demo and didnt sound like neve

1073lb Or Heritage?

nickelironsteel 17th February 2014 09:53 PM

Heritage

Cucaio75 18th February 2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelironsteel (Post 9865049)
Heritage

Wow,
i have the opposite experience.
For me heritage audio is the closest Neve clone on the market.
And everywhere i read, i see that this is the common feeling.

entresolmusic 18th February 2014 01:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I wanted to see if any other owner of 73JR can help me out.

I bought my 73JR less than a month ago and I love it, but I think I have an issue.

I haven't been able to try them and compare them to my CAPI VP28 that I love too, but the sound is drastically different, like very high cut. I don't remember them sounding that different 2 weeks ago.

I have some audio examples (a snare and a synth, just messing around) so you guys can see what I am taking about. Maybe someone with a 73JR can run the audio from the VP28 sample and see if it cuts too?


Well let me know!


Thanks,

Eddie

SoZo 18th February 2014 02:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
yea one is bad... sounds like the 73 messed up...

entresolmusic 18th February 2014 02:34 AM

Thanks a lot SOZO, thats what I thought. Definitely something its not right. I wanted to know before the month was up so I can have a return to Sweetwater.


Thank You,


Eddie

SoZo 18th February 2014 02:41 AM

Yea I just got another one one today... i better try it out.

just checked... all good the same

MacroMike 18th February 2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoZo (Post 9865875)
Yea I just got another one one today... i better try it out.

just checked... all good the same

Congrats! I have one arriving in the mail today.

Slikjmuzik 18th February 2014 05:27 PM

That vp28 sounds pretty damn killer on snare!!

entresolmusic 18th February 2014 07:40 PM

Update: Sweetwater will send a replacement. Very happy with their fast service. :)

Haha, I agree. It is definitely a go-to for high percussions or instruments, but it doesn't have the bottom of the 73JR. It is very noticible on bass, bass synth, kick, and mid pads. The DI is a JFET too and is very good for bass actually...Well when my unit was working properly earlier this month. I knew it was wrong but I needed to check, I wasn't sure.

Actually, If you put both samples I uploaded, and match the snares, They compliment each other soooo good. I know the 73JR is broken but wow, it sounds good on the bottom.


Eddie

Rockinrob 18th February 2014 08:14 PM

My question is if you can afford the 1073lb, then why settle for a clone. If you want the "real" Neve sound then why not buy a "Neve" product. I own the 1073lb and I love it. I've had to put an inline attenuator on the output to trim it down so that I can push the input into saturation and not distort the input to my D/A and DAW, but I love it when its pushed. Very nice, full, warm sounding. Couldn't be happier.

SoZo 18th February 2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinrob (Post 9868060)
My question is if you can afford the 1073lb, then why settle for a clone. If you want the "real" Neve sound then why not buy a "Neve" product. I own the 1073lb and I love it. I've had to put an inline attenuator on the output to trim it down so that I can push the input into saturation and not distort the input to my D/A and DAW, but I love it when its pushed. Very nice, full, warm sounding. Couldn't be happier.


The Neve is very nice but honestly when i listened to the comparisons the Heritage sounded a little better (less sibilant) then the Neve and Vintech for vocals and less masked then the BAE.

lematrix 19th February 2014 12:25 AM

I have both and like the jr73 more, and it' s cheaper...