Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   How do I test a Beyerdynamic M160? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/877553-how-do-i-test-beyerdynamic-m160.html)

raffmonkey 18th October 2013 11:33 AM

How do I test a Beyerdynamic M160?

Hi

I have a Beyerdynamic M160 and it's pretty old. It works in as much as I can record from it but having read so much about ribbon sag etc I have no idea if it sounds like it is supposed to having never used another example.

Is there a way I can test it to find out if the ribbon is ok?

Thanks

BamesJond 18th October 2013 12:39 PM

I have one that I barely use, well sometimes on guitar cabs.

Mine has a lot of bottom and a raise around 4k and up, sounds a little bit scooped after the low mids compared to a Royer R121 for example. It's pretty old so don't really know if mine sounds like it should.

frans 18th October 2013 12:49 PM

I can recommend Xaudia Elektrik - Extinct Audio Equipment, Microphones & Information
to check - and if needed - repair or re-ribbon your M160.

emrr 18th October 2013 08:20 PM

Samar Audio in the USA

BrianK 19th October 2013 09:23 AM

Say "Testing 1, 2, 3" into it? (sorry, had to....!!)

raffmonkey 19th October 2013 10:10 AM

Thanks, I guess I'll try Xaudia Elektrik and see what they say.

edva 19th October 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffmonkey (Post 9515490)
Hi

I have a Beyerdynamic M160 and it's pretty old. It works in as much as I can record from it but having read so much about ribbon sag etc I have no idea if it sounds like it is supposed to having never used another example.

Is there a way I can test it to find out if the ribbon is ok?

Thanks

i've owned a couple of these, still have one, and have heard several. Of the ones I've heard, no two were exactly the same.
So, I would say if you like the sound of it, it's fine.
I guess you could record some pink noise, from an accurate loudspeaker, and compare the frequency trace to the mic's spec sheet to see if it is in the ballpark.
The tiny ribbons in the 160 are rather durable and not prone to sagging, although obviously age and use will factor into that. Good luck.

lucabasano 19th October 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frans (Post 9515587)
I can recommend Xaudia Elektrik - Extinct Audio Equipment, Microphones & Information
to check - and if needed - repair or re-ribbon your M160.

Thanks fot this,no need at the moment,but Always great to find valid suppliers here in europe

luca

AllBread 20th October 2013 07:24 PM

I have two, they sound different but I like the way they sound. I'm of the mindset that if you like the way something sounds than it would be foolish to "fix" it even if it may be broken.

I opened up one of my guitar cabs recently and found one of my speakers (that I had been recording with for a long time and always liked the sound of) had a couple tears in the cone. I foolishly got it re-coned thinking that if I liked it now I would like it even better when it wasn't broken - total fail, I liked the way it sounded much better broken (although in another 20 years the new one might be broken in enough to sound like the old one).

zulusound 20th October 2013 08:33 PM

The best way I have found to test a ribbon mic is to point downward towards a floor tom and play lightly. The combination of the ribbon inside position if there is a sag, and the low-end of the floor tom highlighting if a buzz will show if there is an issue with the ribbon.

NoEgo 22nd October 2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edva (Post 9519060)
i've owned a couple of these, still have one, and have heard several. Of the ones I've heard, no two were exactly the same.
So, I would say if you like the sound of it, it's fine.
I guess you could record some pink noise, from an accurate loudspeaker, and compare the frequency trace to the mic's spec sheet to see if it is in the ballpark.
The tiny ribbons in the 160 are rather durable and not prone to sagging, although obviously age and use will factor into that. Good luck.

thats the answer you are looking for.
Large ribbons sag. Not small. Someone could blow in the them. Someone could poor beer in them...but unless there was a light fan aimed at it for two years...sagging won't be an issue I don't think.

I store my large ribbon AEAs upright but I have never worried about the little ones.
They are pretty common...I would take it to a music dealer and make a comparison with a new one. If they are a good community store they will allow you to do this. Or they will do it for you while you are there.