Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Newbie looking for a gear. (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/861482-newbie-looking-gear.html)

SquatEye 15th August 2013 02:40 PM

Newbie looking for a gear.

Hey everyone!

I'm completely new here, and I really hope that this time I post this to the right sub

I've got to a point where I want to upgrade my equipment (which is close to non-existent) and get a little "home stuido" solely to record my ideas in a pleasant way for myself, not to release it in any form (got tired of guitar pro and stuff ). I've got a few things on my list to buy, but I'm getting confused because I don't have any experience in it whatsoever.

First off, I'm buying an Epiphone Prophecy with their standard EMG81-85 HB-s, because I'm more into metal than any other type of (rock)music, and an Alesis drumkit (DM6) to practice.

I'm wondering, which of the following setups are best for my purposes:

a) Blackstar HT1 amp - or a VOX, but I'm dying for that BS sound - with a proper mic (name one, please), a soundcard with both MIDI and audio I/O-s (a smaller type preferred, for I'm recording stuff alone) and some effect pedals (or a multi) OR
b) a Line 6 POD HD Bean modeling multiFX, and directly record my guitar sound with it through USB, and an Edirol UM-3EX MIDI interface to record drums, and use samples to get it sound right (maybe a DFH-S).

With the latter, I would definiately spare a lot of money, the recording process would be much easier (or so I heard), but I fear I'll fall flat with the tones I'm getting (youtube videos about "metal" tones of that Bean are just... meh, but that could be the fault of the user recording it).

Another critical point is an "easy-to-learn" DAW. I get around with Mixcraft, but I don't know if it can recognise new equipment and work with it (such as the HD Bean). What would you recommend for me? I've heard that Reaper is somewhat good for it's price, or I've got the money for a Cubase lite, but it seems to have a steep learning curve.

Thanks for your help in advance, and please do tell me if I'm missing anything important!

(and excuse me for my bad english :P)

ghosty999 15th August 2013 04:17 PM

In a bed room you are always better not micing amps, if you had an isolation room that would work but it's pretty **** sitting with headphones half on listening to your mix whilst playing through and amp into a mic.

The POD is okay for metal tones, it does the job and happens a lot on budget metal albums. It's good because you can play through your monitors and don't need headphones as there is no mic involved.

Learn Cubase 5, I find it the easiest for new starters. Get a good pair of monitors like some KRK rokits.

Tirmu 16th August 2013 08:16 AM

Check out Amplitube if you haven't already. Pod is okay for practice purposes but you won't get killer tones out of it. You can get a big sound micing a small amp too but I'd think twice before going that route in a bedroom.

If you're buying monitors I'd stay away from Rokits and get hsm's or even better Equator D5's if you have the budget.

I use Reaper, I found it more intuitive to use than Cubase but choosing a DAW is all about what feels good to you so I'd try them both first. You can download Reaper for free, I'm not sure about Cubase.

Chris Martins 16th August 2013 08:45 AM

Of course you'll get killer tones for metal out of the POD HD... Check out Feardse's demos on youtube comparing the metal tones he got from the POD and Axe Fx. You'll be surprised.

I'll second the Reaper recommendation. It's everything the big boys are but at a fair price.

SquatEye 16th August 2013 03:48 PM

Thank you for your quick replies, everyone.

I've heard that I shouldn't buy a monitor below 6'' bass, is this true?
What's your opinion about monitor headphones (like ATH-M50's)?

Tirmu, thanks for the advice on Amplitube, I've never heard about it, but I'll check it out later this evening. If it's OK, you've saved me 650$ for some time. I have seen they have a dedicated metal pack, and buying credits to add stuff isn't that big amount of cash.

In this case, I have to buy a proper soundcard interface, I'm thinking Tascam US-125M.
Any advice?

cowboycoalminer 16th August 2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghosty999 (Post 9332321)
In a bed room you are always better not micing amps

Absolutely not true. Sorry. In any situation a live amp is better if its a quality amp. No sim I have ever tried captures air. They ALL sound canned.

That said, if your recording medium isn't up to par,(interface, mic ect) that might actually negate the "better-ness" of an amp. So your in a catch 22. I'd recommend getting your recoding setup in tact first before going after guitar tone.

Up to you though. Good luck!

SquatEye 18th August 2013 10:04 PM

As it turns out I'm currently not in the position to record with live amps. This just brought up another question for me...

What is a Hi Z input? I know it refers to impedance, but I can't connect it to certain devices.
It seems to me that some sound cards might have this function to bring the digital amps (like amplitube 3) closer to real live amps. Am I right?
And what can you tell me about Motu Zbox?

psycho_monkey 19th August 2013 01:20 AM

Hi-z means high impedance. It's designed so you can plug a guitar or bass straight in, effectively a DI box built into an interface. A regular line input has lower impedance, which can load the pickups and affect the sound of the guitar.

Enlighten 19th August 2013 02:28 AM

Here's a setup you can consider:
1. Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 (allows you to record your guitar directly thru the Hi Z input and record MIDI)
2. Reaper as your DAW
3. Amplitube for a good quality amp sim
4. Possibly Steven Slate Drums for great drums samples

Unless you prefer the hands-on aspect and Live use of the Pod HD, Amplitube is great for guitar sounds in production.

ghosty999 19th August 2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer (Post 9335518)
Absolutely not true. Sorry. In any situation a live amp is better if its a quality amp. No sim I have ever tried captures air. They ALL sound canned.

That said, if your recording medium isn't up to par,(interface, mic ect) that might actually negate the "better-ness" of an amp. So your in a catch 22. I'd recommend getting your recoding setup in tact first before going after guitar tone.

Up to you though. Good luck!

I didn't say Sim was the solution. I said that bedroom amp micing never sounds as good so Sim is an option. OP isn't looking to buy expensive amps and isolating so I advised him the alternative.

Stevil 20th August 2013 12:09 AM

Tweakheadz

HeadlessDinosaur 24th June 2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghosty999 (Post 9343108)
I didn't say Sim was the solution. I said that bedroom amp micing never sounds as good so Sim is an option. OP isn't looking to buy expensive amps and isolating so I advised him the alternative.

I know i am pulling up a dead thread but do you k ow what kind of amp jimmy page recorded led zeppelin 1 with? A fender champ. Bedroom amps can sound amazing.

David W. Jones 25th June 2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur (Post 14058224)
I know i am pulling up a dead thread but do you k ow what kind of amp jimmy page recorded led zeppelin 1 with? A fender champ. Bedroom amps can sound amazing.

That would be a Supro but I get your point.