Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   The Moan Zone (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/)
-   -   What's the difference between a G chord and an A chord??? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/850797-whats-difference-between-g-chord-chord.html)

Sqye 5th July 2013 03:32 AM

What's the difference between a G chord and an A chord???

I mean SERIOUSLY, WTF??

hjghfgghjghfgghjghfgghjghfgghjghfgghjghfgg

gooof

Herr Weiss 5th July 2013 04:54 AM

Humm...I think you have a better chance to get the right answer in the SONGWRITING forum. A brand new sub-forum moderated by James Lugo and Blast 9.

There is a lot of music theory involved in order to reach a conclusive response.

In this brand new sub-forum moderated by James Lugo and Blast 9, there are a lot of very smart good people, that I am certain will explain to you, without ridiculing of course, the solution that you are searching for. Good luck.

Excellent question, by the way. http://radioparadise.com/scripts/tin...con_bounce.gif

-Herr Weiss

creegstor 5th July 2013 03:09 PM

Yes. Songwriting forum is definitely the right place for this question Sqye. Don't get too frustrated man. It's all a learning experience.

Enginearing 5th July 2013 03:10 PM

The answer is probably dissonance, but as we know it's relative.

kafka 5th July 2013 03:15 PM

I know. I hate how music has all these *notes* and things. It's like, I can never get anyone to see my true genius, because there's all this, I don't know, stuff they make you learn first. Someone should seriously just make a list of all the notes you can play together, cause I can do all the rest. Or maybe someone could write an app that does it all for you. I'd definitely pay a couple dollars for that.

nuthinupmysleeve 5th July 2013 03:42 PM

You're just one step away from a real answer.

mikeguymer 5th July 2013 04:43 PM

^

Lol, that comment made my day.

A chord or rather called a triad is made up of the first note in the scale, the third and the fifth. and depending on the tonality of the third will make it major or minor. I wont get into other types of chords right now, that is something you'll have to discover as you progress through music theory-which I think is a much needed asset as an engineer or producer.

The only difference between a G major Chord and an A major chord is each note in the chord is just one whole step up. so a g major chord is made up of the three notes G-B-D.
all an A major chord is, is just a whole tone or step up. so A-C#-E.

or G minor chord is G-Bb-D and then A minor would be A-C-E.

creegstor 5th July 2013 06:06 PM

The real difference is a capo at the second fret.

jeremy.c. 5th July 2013 06:47 PM

I'd offer to step up on this one, but my opinion is worth more than a few cents.

ssaudio 5th July 2013 08:27 PM

Well, it's my experience that (pupil/teacher aside) as soon as these questions are asked the conversation, never mind the situation, usually goes tits up...usually funny in hindsight, though ;)

Cheers

Mickey ;)

donsolo 5th July 2013 09:27 PM

It really depends on what you're tuning to...

kafka 5th July 2013 11:02 PM

It's Keith Richards with a capo.

adrianww 5th July 2013 11:04 PM

There are many possible answers Grasshopper...

For example, the rock answer:

"G is the chord of the rock gods! People whose playing is the envy of other musicians, whose mammoth stadium gigs are full to the back rows, whose nights are an endless stream of wild parties and mindless, abandoned sex with groupies, band mates and unsuspecting small animals before spending the following day sleeping it off in the private limo/jet en route to the next gig. Whereas A is played by whiny-ass hippies in jazz bars who write endless banal drivel about why they can't get laid, how tragic the world is and the colour yellow."

Or you might have the EDM answer:

"Hang on, which one is G and which one is A again?"

Or the dubstep answer:

"What's a chord? Is that like a cable for connecting stuff?"

Or the Gearslutz answer:

"What's the difference? You must be sh!tting me man - it's night and day! Night and day I tell you!! If you can't hear that you need your ears checking or you're a f***in noob!"

There are many others. When you have found them all and can walk along this manuscript copy of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor without leaving any trace, then you will be ready to leave.

kafka 5th July 2013 11:11 PM

An A chord is like a G chord on steroids. Meaning, it has tiny balls and is prone to kill it's entire family in a fit of rage.

GeneHall 5th July 2013 11:56 PM

Are you referring to the intervals offs chord? If you can clarify your question you might get the help you're looking for...:)

Sent from my XT925

GeneHall 5th July 2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneHall (Post 9202307)
Are you referring to the intervals offs chord? If you can clarify your question you might get the help you're looking for...:)

Sent from my XT925

Correction: of chords not offs, apologies

Sent from my XT925

GeneHall 5th July 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka (Post 9202187)
An A chord is like a G chord on steroids. Meaning, it has tiny balls and is prone to kill it's entire family in a fit of rage.

That's funny!!...must be a guitarist....A chords can crack a rib or two when played properly:thumbup::p:eek:

Sent from my XT925

Murray 6th July 2013 12:30 AM

"A chord" is any chord.

Therefore,

"G chord" is "A chord".

Sqye 6th July 2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeguymer (Post 9201217)
^

Lol, that comment made my day.

A chord or rather called a triad is made up of the first note in the scale, the third and the fifth. and depending on the tonality of the third will make it major or minor. I wont get into other types of chords right now, that is something you'll have to discover as you progress through music theory-which I think is a much needed asset as an engineer or producer.

The only difference between a G major Chord and an A major chord is each note in the chord is just one whole step up. so a g major chord is made up of the three notes G-B-D.
all an A major chord is, is just a whole tone or step up. so A-C#-E.

or G minor chord is G-Bb-D and then A minor would be A-C-E.

I wasn't asking about any of those lame-ass A and G chords.

I was asking about REAL chords - you know, like with upper structure accidentals en ****.

heppy gooof

Sqye 6th July 2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka (Post 9202168)
It's Keith Richards with a capo.

haha...or Dolly Parton...bumpkin

Sqye 6th July 2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssaudio (Post 9201797)
Well, it's my experience that (pupil/teacher aside) as soon as these questions are asked the conversation, never mind the situation, usually goes tits up...usually funny in hindsight, though ;)

Cheers

Mickey ;)

heh

Sqye 6th July 2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianww (Post 9202172)
There are many possible answers Grasshopper...

For example, the rock answer:

"G is the chord of the rock gods! People whose playing is the envy of other musicians, whose mammoth stadium gigs are full to the back rows, whose nights are an endless stream of wild parties and mindless, abandoned sex with groupies, band mates and unsuspecting small animals before spending the following day sleeping it off in the private limo/jet en route to the next gig. Whereas A is played by whiny-ass hippies in jazz bars who write endless banal drivel about why they can't get laid, how tragic the world is and the colour yellow."

Or you might have the EDM answer:

"Hang on, which one is G and which one is A again?"

Or the dubstep answer:

"What's a chord? Is that like a cable for connecting stuff?"

Or the Gearslutz answer:

"What's the difference? You must be sh!tting me man - it's night and day! Night and day I tell you!! If you can't hear that you need your ears checking or you're a f***in noob!"

There are many others. When you have found them all and can walk along this manuscript copy of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor without leaving any trace, then you will be ready to leave.

BEST ANSWER, YET! kfhkh

Awesome!

Sqye 6th July 2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka (Post 9202187)

heh

nspaas 6th July 2013 02:45 PM

35 bucks.

Sqye 6th July 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nspaas (Post 9203697)
35 bucks.

Including shipping? ....can't be...jummpp

nspaas 6th July 2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqye (Post 9203718)

Including shipping? ....can't be...jummpp

35 bucks each.

Sqye 6th July 2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nspaas (Post 9203780)
35 bucks each.

Ahhhhhh!....NOW you tell me!

Just when I wuz savin' up all my money, yo! cellfone

Ampex 354 9th July 2013 05:15 PM

Two sharps.

vincentvangogo 9th July 2013 09:55 PM

Well it's one lower isn't it?

Sqye 26th July 2013 04:17 PM

OK, Vincent. Ya got me.

I have no idea what you're talking about. gooof