Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   NEVE 33609 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/8369-neve-33609-a.html)

Wiggy Neve Slut 5th November 2003 12:06 AM

NEVE 33609

Ok..

I have a line on one of these puppies.

Are they really as cool as people say?

Do the different models really matter?.. like i heard that the blakc discrete ones are the pick of the bunch. Im thinking that this will be my main comp for everything for my mobile rig. I was trying the STC8 but it jsut wasnt giving me what i wanted... its great and all but not enough Ju Ju for me... oh well later for that.

This particular one is from 1989 and is from non smoking room

How similar are they to my much loved (3)2264's?

Let it rip i want EVERYONES .02cents worth!

Cheers
Wiggy

thethrillfactor 5th November 2003 01:43 AM

The original 33609 and the 2264 pretty much sound similar.

The one you are probably looking at is an "A".

A little different kinda sound(not as thick) but a little clearer.

It is still useful. An excellent alternative to the STC-8 on the 2 buss.

If you want that "Neve" sound, than maybe look for an original one(with silver knobs).

If you want" 'Neve" like, than you will enjoy it.

Wiggy Neve Slut 5th November 2003 11:27 AM

Thanx Thrill..

I will prolly shoot for it pretty soon.

Also was a good price fro an electrodyne comp? You mentioned one the other day and ive sniffed one out? what are they like any hints?

Cheers
Wiggy

thethrillfactor 5th November 2003 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Thanx Thrill..

I will prolly shoot for it pretty soon.

Also was a good price fro an electrodyne comp? You mentioned one the other day and ive sniffed one out? what are they like any hints?

Cheers
Wiggy

Price wise, they are rare birds.

I found one on Ebay that I will try to pick up.

I like them because you can really manipulate the release and hear it. When you pin them it gives you the coolest colors.jkthtyrt

The 2 times i tried it was on drums(a kick and snare mult) and I really liked it.cellfone

Never forgot the sound.

Paul Gold 5th November 2003 10:01 PM

The earlier 33609's have transformer in/out. The later ones have active balanced in/out's. I'm not sure at what letter suffix it changed. I like both although they do sound a little diferent.

mac black 7th November 2003 09:51 PM

I like both although the neve's top end is somewhat questionable compared with the STC-8, never the less it is a fantastic unit but if I had to choose one (I actually did...:) it would be the STC-8 although I’d like to have both.
BTW, I’ve found that full gain or near full gain on the STC brings the unit to life, you cant be scared with it, work it baby and it would juice your mixes like never before. Gentle settings on the STC are not very interesting you must mess with it for at least a week until you start to understand the power...:)

Just my humble opinion.

Mac

Geoff_T 7th November 2003 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Gold
The earlier 33609's have transformer in/out. The later ones have active balanced in/out's. I'm not sure at what letter suffix it changed. I like both although they do sound a little diferent.
Hi

Do they really? The latest one that I have had apart was the /E which is just a more productionised version of the earlier models. The circuit is substantially the same though it used a 640 instead of the earlier 440... not that it makes much difference (except in the minds of audiophiles).

The current model is a /J (for Japan) and I really didn't realise that Neve had re-engineered a perfectly good motherboard to make it active balanced in and out.

Are you sure you are thinking about the 33609 and not the mic pres used with the 88R?

jkthtyrt

thethrillfactor 8th November 2003 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mac black
I like both although the neve's top end is somewhat questionable

Just my humble opinion.

Mac

In order to make them work on the 2 buss, you have to follow them by an EQ.

The 33609 loves the Pultecs.kfhkh

Its like they were made for each other. Kick in a little 10K and its pure magic.jkthtyrt

entropy 8th November 2003 03:40 AM

I've only used them a few times and have no experience of the STC8 but ****, the 33609 blew me away. The model I played with was the "J" which I believe is the only model currently available new. I tried hard to **** something up with it but it is just SO smoove.

Also wiggy, I'm getting rid of loads of dead wood in the studio and knowing you do a fair bit of guitars down there, thought you may be interested in my Watkins Copycat. It's going in the trading post next week so if you're interested, PM me.

mac black 8th November 2003 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thethrillfactor
In order to make them work on the 2 buss, you have to follow them by an EQ.

The 33609 loves the Pultecs.kfhkh

Its like they were made for each other. Kick in a little 10K and its pure magic.jkthtyrt

I agree. The crane song does open up the tops nice but i think i wanna try the S/C , it suppose to be the lick heh
And i do love 2 buss eq (pre comp though ) unfortunatly i use the o2r eq for now but am saving for massive passive or maybe ear825 or maybe prism.... before that im getting apogee/prism A/D D/A because i feel its more important.

Paul Gold 8th November 2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff_T
Hi

Are you sure you are thinking about the 33609 and not the mic pres used with the 88R?

jkthtyrt

A friend bought a new 33609 about six years ago. I remember looking at the schematic and seeing no transformers. I guess I could be wrong. My memory has failed me before. Hmm.

hollywood_steve 8th November 2003 01:35 PM

FWIW, AMS-Neve has recently expanded their outboard offerings:

http://www.ams-neve.com/prod/out.htm

They currently offer two different 33609 variants along with many preamp models. The website is still light on information, but there is a lot more available than many might think.

Geoff_T 8th November 2003 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hollywood_steve
FWIW, AMS-Neve has recently expanded their outboard offerings:

http://www.ams-neve.com/prod/out.htm

They currently offer two different 33609 variants along with many preamp models. The website is still light on information, but there is a lot more available than many might think.

Hi

I'm guessing here but I think the two versions are the BA640 output stage (5534 IC plus two transistors) or the 440 discrete output stage from their 1081 range.

I really don't believe that they made an electronically balanced in/out version but I've emailed AMS-Neve to confirm this.

That's how rumours start!

jkthtyrt

beau 9th January 2009 07:29 AM

any word on the transformers?

peace

beau

spektor 9th January 2009 08:38 AM

I was thinking of buying a neve 33609 but i settled on the vintage design Cl1mk2
Wow is all i can say It is less expensive but i know that is a class a and a 33609 is a class a/b. Corecct me if im right.

Anyway i love it

huub 27th January 2009 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by beau (Post 3800326)
any word on the transformers?

peace

beau

here's the inside of a J.. looks like transformers to me..

Huub

beau 27th January 2009 04:32 PM

thank you!!! i appreciate your help.

peace

beau

Roland 27th January 2009 05:14 PM

I've used 33609's over the years, good, workable buss compressor. STC8's are great, SSL buss compressor's are good too. Depends on what you are looking for, they all have their uses, none are instant "fairy dust".

Regards

Roland

Geoff_T 27th January 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huub (Post 3857367)
here's the inside of a J.. looks like transformers to me..

Huub

Hi

Lordy, a six year old thread revived... I'd forgotten all about it. I am surprised that this site has the capacity to store all these posts and photo attachments over that period of time..... must reach a limit sometime.

And yes, whoever started the rumour about 33609's being transformerless, please check your facts before posting.

heh

huub 27th January 2009 05:23 PM

There is still the possibility of the jD being transformerless :)

Geoff_T 27th January 2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huub (Post 3857563)
There is still the possibility of the jD being transformerless :)

Hi

Just look at the picture a few posts back.

In any case, the whole principle of any Neve compressor is to float a diode bridge between two transformers to isolate the dc path.

That would be messy with op amps and capacitors.

Why change it if it ain't broke?

God, I hate these red herring posts....

jkthtyrt

huub 27th January 2009 06:07 PM

I know, I posted that one, but it's a J, not JD...heh
Not like I give a crap if there's transformers in there or not... The thing sounds nice so whatever..

dubrichie 27th January 2009 10:48 PM

i believe that i read somewhere that the JD is fully discrete, or it's audio path is or something, whereas the J is not.

don't quote me on this.

GYang 27th January 2009 11:01 PM

I know something is wrong with my ears and almost 10 years might be small experience, but 33609J (the only one I tried) didn't work for me and my music.

Geoff_T 27th January 2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubrichie (Post 3858584)
i believe that i read somewhere that the JD is fully discrete, or it's audio path is or something, whereas the J is not.

don't quote me on this.

Hi

The JD uses a BA340 discrete class AB amplifier fitted with the chunky pins of a BA440.

The J used the IC + 441/461 BA640 Class AB amplifier.

I don't think IMHO this makes a smidgen of difference to the sound.

jkthtyrt

Geoff_T 27th January 2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GYang (Post 3858629)
I know something is wrong with my ears and almost 10 years might be small experience, but 33609J (the only one I tried) didn't work for me and my music.

Hi

I have a friend with two Neve consoles and a big SSL room. He bought a 33609J to go with the SSL and was happy until a client brought in an original metal knob 33609 that sounded much better... mainly due to the different iron inside.

It's not often that folk get to compare different versions of units and, without that comparison , who is to know?

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this thread.... work to do.

jkthtyrt

Fletcher 27th January 2009 11:50 PM

If anyone is looking for a "metal knob" 33609 shoot me an email... I have one for sale [personal collection] at the moment.

Peace.

bigdog 27th January 2009 11:51 PM

I have a "C" and love it.

When I was going to buy it my engineer and I rented three of them including this one and a "J". We didn't like the J at all - can't remember why. this one was the hands down winner. We did find that they were all different. Also rented a 2254 and while we liked it it wasn't right for our application - 2 buss mainly. Also it was expensive - 4k about 8 years ago. But I do love it.

Hope that helps. Best thing to do is get it in your room and start cranking knobs.

212team 28th January 2009 11:10 PM

inside 33609

1 Attachment(s)
33609j on your left 33609c on your right.

the big difference i can see is in the p/s section .

jvancorduroy 28th January 2009 11:24 PM

I have used the 33609 on every job I have done in the last 10 years. Nothing comes close to the limiter on this thing ......absolutely stunning !!!!!. I don't leave home without one.If you want color , the compressor section is your man,if you want transparent, then get Smart C2.