Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Bruce Swedien (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-bruce-swedien/)
-   -   Phase coherence- from your perspective (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-bruce-swedien/82962-phase-coherence-your-perspective.html)

mojava 25th August 2006 10:58 PM

Phase coherence- from your perspective

HI Bruce:

I keep pounding my head against the wall with respect to capturing instruments in proper phase, 1- to themselves, 2- in relationship howdy howdy to other instruments.

I would like to know how much importance/time you spend when tracking and mixing determining proper phase (can I also say polarity?) relationships, and I woud like to know any tricks that you have found for achieving it rather quickly.

Best Regards,

Mojava

Bruce Swedien 26th August 2006 12:00 AM

Your ears will tell you all you need to know......

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojava (Post 852717)
HI Bruce:

I keep pounding my head against the wall with respect to capturing instruments in proper phase, 1- to themselves, 2- in relationship howdy howdy to other instruments.

I would like to know how much importance/time you spend when tracking and mixing determining proper phase (can I also say polarity?) relationships, and I woud like to know any tricks that you have found for achieving it rather quickly.

Best Regards,

Mojava

Your ears will tell you all you need to know about polartity or proper phase in sound. Tune in to your instincts...

As recording people.....We must develop a willingness to follow our instincts. Gut reactions translated to music recordings make the most believable music....

This may be more true in music recording than in any other field of endeavor. If we have good instincts to begin with, we must learn to listen to that little voice in the back of our heads, or behind our belly buttons, or wherever it resides and do what it tells us is right. I have always felt that I must maintain a pursuit of the innovative, the experimental. I don't mean only in the technical aspect of what we do but, in the musical and production techniques as well. In order to be truly innovative, I think we absolutely must have at our disposal a thorough working knowledge of the technical tools of our trade. This aspect of the industry is in a constant state of change, so a great deal of daily reading and experimentation must be a part of our life.

Skill, generally speaking, means using the tools at our disposal, both natural and technical, in combination to influence our technique. Development of our recording technique, as individual recording people, then, it would seem, ultimately results from our recording "philosophy" but also, it actually evolves into philosophy as well. In other words, aren't the two, Technique and Philosophy, in music recording, actually dependent on each other?

To clarify the issue a bit, to me, in music recording, technique is philosophy put into practice, but at the same time it is also the practical display of the elements which produce our own individual recording philosophy. If you consider these things in the light of your own natural gifts and situation you will see how they can help to make you a unique recording person. An individual with your own special 'Sonic Personality'. Not just another average, bored, dead between the ears, Producer/Recording engineer.

Bruce Swedien

boing boing boing kfhkh

mojava 28th August 2006 12:58 AM

Bruce,

I have asked you for a fish and you have responded with " I need to learn about migration patterns of tuna".....LOL YET YOUR ANSWER IS VERY SERIOUS AND I TAKE IT AS SUCH.thumbsup

You are speaking of not seeking out "techniques" but rather "understanding the principles" and that comes from listening and trusting my own gut....

Not quite what I had expected..but probably what I needed to hear!!

Thanks again,

Mojavakfhkh