Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Q+A with Bruce Swedien (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-bruce-swedien/)
-   -   hi-hat baffle (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-with-bruce-swedien/82811-hi-hat-baffle.html)

blackbox 24th August 2006 09:21 PM

hi-hat baffle

i've read before that you designed a kick drum cover and a baffle to put between the hat and snare. would you mind commenting on the construction and implementation of your hi-hat baffle? Was it effective?

Bruce Swedien 24th August 2006 10:20 PM

Was it effective?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbox (Post 851348)
i've read before that you designed a kick drum cover and a baffle to put between the hat and snare. would you mind commenting on the construction and implementation of your hi-hat baffle? Was it effective?

Listen to Michael Jackson's recording "Billy Jean". Was it effective? i don't mean to be smart ass, but alot of people have commented very favorably on the drum sound of that recording...

Bruce

boing boing boing kfhkh

Check these photos out!!!!!

Steamy Williams 24th August 2006 11:35 PM

Can you tell us anything about how these baffles were made (i.e. what materials)?

godcity 25th August 2006 12:35 AM

interesting. what's the snare baffle material?
121 on the hat? i've been using a beyer m130 on top of the hat, but i haven't tried micing the edge. i bet it gets lots of "chop"

blackbox 25th August 2006 12:39 AM

thanks again, Bruce. the pics are a great help, too.

mammath 25th August 2006 01:43 AM

You are such an inspiration to us all. Thank you immeasurably for sharing your experiences, techniques, and those priceless photos. You've certainly gotten us by the edge of our seats!boing

Thank you!!!

God Bless

Mike Caffrey 25th August 2006 04:51 AM

That looks a little like Omar's kit (older thoguhm not the current bubinga wood kit).

superburtm 25th August 2006 11:22 AM

Killer! I'm gonna try and make one of those hat baffles! I hate hat in the snare.

Bruce Swedien 25th August 2006 06:59 PM

It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamy Williams (Post 851533)
Can you tell us anything about how these baffles were made (i.e. what materials)?

The Kick Drum cover is made of a furniture blanket with elastic on the circumference and a zippered opening for the mike. I am thinking of making that cover here and offering it for sale - For a reasonable price, if I can!!! It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

The Snare / Hat isolation baffle is made of - a layer of Plywood, a layer of Mu-Metal (similar to lead) and a layer of compressed wood.... I am also thinking of making that isolation baffle here and offering it for sale - There are some materiels much better than Mu-Metal available now to stop sound transfer.

Bruce

boing boing boing kfhkh

the-oger 25th August 2006 09:48 PM

Awesome...

I'll be looking out for the Swedien Kik Slipper and I'm gonna Snare me a Hat Baffler to boot!boing heh thumbsup
Oger

Steamy Williams 25th August 2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien (Post 852368)
The Kick Drum cover is made of a furniture blanket with elastic on the circumference and a zippered opening for the mike. I am thinking of making that cover here and offering it for sale - For a reasonable price, if I can!!! It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

The Snare / Hat isolation baffle is made of - a layer of Plywood, a layer of Mu-Metal (similar to lead) and a layer of compressed wood.... I am also thinking of making that isolation baffle here and offering it for sale - There are some materiels much better than Mu-Metal available now to stop sound transfer.

Bruce

boing boing boing kfhkh

That would be great! I would definitely be interested in buying both of these if you ever get around to doing it. I wish I had more time to put together useful stuff like that for myself, but I have a hard enough time keeping the studio running whilst maintaining my day job.

SoundEng1 26th September 2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien (Post 852368)

Bruce

boing boing boing kfhkh

Let us Know im ready to order it Now!