Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/827838-focusrite-scarlett-18i20.html)

analogcabin 8th April 2013 07:31 PM

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

So I bought one since I flat out love my Saffire 40. I figured it'd be nice to be ahead of the curve (re-sale wise) so I grabbed one.

The good:
  • Looks GREAT
  • Functionally identical to the Pro 40
  • No Manual or Software in the box - all easily downloaded

I'm running mine on a Mac Pro, 10.7.5 with Live 8.

The bad:
  • Midi not working
  • Audio is hit or miss
  • In general drivers don't seem ready at all
  • Slight bit more hiss on the main 1-2 out. (I may be imagining this)

Anyone else have one of these?
What are your findings?

Melodicmusic 8th April 2013 08:09 PM

I ordered one from Sweetwater but they still don't have them in stock. I hope this is just a bad unit you got. Have you tried contacting MF to return it? You said sound was hit or miss, when you did have it how did it compare to your Saffire 40? I sold my Motu ultralite MK3 hybrid to get this and I hope I didn't make a big mistake giving up sound quality.

analogcabin 8th April 2013 08:17 PM

I just did a return/exchange to rule out the drivers.
I called Focusrite and they (as always) were really helpful. He said they have heard no negative reports on these yet. Granted they're a new product so...

As far as audio quality, by all means it sounded exactly like my Pro 40. Which I must say is a great sound. I think the Focusrite boxes in general are quite a bit nicer in this range.
The Saffire 40 was/is bullet-proof.

I'm really thinking it was a bad unit. Not sure though.

Melodicmusic 9th April 2013 02:13 AM

That's good you returned it. I hope the next one is working properly for you. I agree the Focusrite has great sound quality for the amount it cost. I have a friend who I turned onto the 2i4 last year and I think it has better sound than the Motu Ultralite I had that cost $600. I hope I don't have any issues with mine when it finally arrives in May. Keep us updated.

Chris Focusrite 9th April 2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogcabin (Post 8926432)
I just did a return/exchange to rule out the drivers.
I called Focusrite and they (as always) were really helpful. He said they have heard no negative reports on these yet. Granted they're a new product so...

As far as audio quality, by all means it sounded exactly like my Pro 40. Which I must say is a great sound. I think the Focusrite boxes in general are quite a bit nicer in this range.
The Saffire 40 was/is bullet-proof.

I'm really thinking it was a bad unit. Not sure though.

Did you manage to get your issues resolved? If not, please get in touch with the support team and we'll gladly assist further.

Chris
Focusrite Support

analogcabin 9th April 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite (Post 8929493)
Did you manage to get your issues resolved? If not, please get in touch with the support team and we'll gladly assist further.

Chris
Focusrite Support

We could not resolve it over the phone.
I sent the unit back and I'm thinking I might try again with another 18i20 to see whether it was the box or the drivers.

Thanks!

Henrik Hjortnaes 9th April 2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogcabin (Post 8926296)
The bad:
  • Audio is hit or miss
  • In general drivers don't seem ready at all

It would be interesting if you could elaborate on the issues you are having.

analogcabin 9th April 2013 07:27 PM

The audio kept switching back to "default" Mac Pro internal speakers or no audio would pass. Not even through headphones.

The reason I originally said drivers might be the culprit is because the midi (using with a Mackie Control Surface) would work and then lose connection.

I plugged my older Saffire 6 (USB) back in and it's rock solid.
I know it'll get figured out.

Chris Focusrite 10th April 2013 06:28 PM

Support is something we take very seriously and we'll always persevere with any issues until they're solved.

We'd be more than happy to help you out further if you're still experiencing problems.

Chris
Focusrite Support

analogcabin 10th April 2013 06:30 PM

PM sent Chris.

Thanks!

valis 10th April 2013 07:39 PM

Sounds more like a bad cable or possibly bad controller chip for the host connection (FireWire I suppose?)

analogcabin 10th April 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valis (Post 8934071)
Sounds more like a bad cable or possibly bad controller chip for the host connection (FireWire I suppose?)

Cable is good.
USB in this case (not FW)

Melodicmusic 11th April 2013 06:38 PM

I was just checking out some videos on this on YouTube. There is a comment up there saying that we can only record 4 channels out of the 8 total channels, is this true? The person said we would have to spend $400 more to buy Protools or something else to use all 8 channels. He is using windows 7 and I am to with Sonar X1 Producer not sure what DAW he is using. I need to know ASAP as I preordered one and don't want it if I can't record all 8 channels at once.

Melodicmusic 11th April 2013 07:34 PM

I watched some more videos and he further explained that it was only 4 channels with the albeton software that comes with it. He did say it won't work with some other daws as well. Anyone else got one of these yet? What DAW are you using it with? I am on a Windows 7 64 bit system, using Sonar X1 Producer. I'll be going to Sonar X2 Producer over the summer.

Kaoz 12th April 2013 04:39 AM

That guy must be an idiot.

You can use this with any DAW you want, and out of the box you can record 8 channels.

Trust the devs, not random youtube guy.

Melodicmusic 12th April 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 8940059)
That guy must be an idiot.

You can use this with any DAW you want, and out of the box you can record 8 channels.

Trust the devs, not random youtube guy.

I was thinking the samething myself lol.

Goddard 13th April 2013 04:05 AM

Something I noticed with the 18i20 is that Focusrite seem to have limited the capability of the ADAT I/O (and Mixcontrol) so that it is not possible to also use it for optical S/PDIF as is possible with thrie FW models, and also, no S/PDIF passthrough mode.

Melodicmusic 13th April 2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddard (Post 8943569)
Something I noticed with the 18i20 is that Focusrite seem to have limited the capability of the ADAT I/O (and Mixcontrol) so that it is not possible to also use it for optical S/PDIF as is possible with thrie FW models, and also, no S/PDIF passthrough mode.

I haven't got mine in the mail yet so I can't test it to see what can be done.

Alndln 13th April 2013 06:25 AM

We couldn't update the firmware in Win 7 32, it also lost connection from time to time and it's a USB Bus hog. We wen't RME instead and no more problems out of the box.

Melodicmusic 13th April 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alndln (Post 8943768)
We couldn't update the firmware in Win 7 32, it also lost connection from time to time and it's a USB Bus hog. We wen't RME instead and no more problems out of the box.

How long did you have it?

Alndln 16th April 2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melodicmusic (Post 8944627)
How long did you have it?

About 3 months or so.

Melodicmusic 16th April 2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alndln (Post 8952699)
About 3 months or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are talking about the 18i20? reason I asked is because it just started shipping a couple weeks ago.

thenoodle 17th April 2013 02:06 AM

I saw the 18i20 at Namm and also didn't think it was yet shipping. If it is out there, how's it working for win7-8 users so far?

I'm still trying to figure out why there's a wordclock out on the 18i20... but no wordclock in. How are you supposed to sync this as a slave in a multi-interface setup?

My guess is focusrite will say that the only way to slave the unit is with incoming adat sync. But I've heard no info on that yet.

Alndln 17th April 2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melodicmusic (Post 8954399)
Correct me if I'm wrong but you are talking about the 18i20? reason I asked is because it just started shipping a couple weeks ago.

My error, it was the 18i6. We also had the EMU 1820 so I guess I was temporarily confused. Anyway, my opinions on the 18i6 still stand. Sorry for any confusion.

Melodicmusic 17th April 2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alndln (Post 8957471)
My error, it was the 18i6. We also had the EMU 1820 so I guess I was temporarily confused. Anyway, my opinions on the 18i6 still stand. Sorry for any confusion.

No prob.

Melodicmusic 17th April 2013 04:54 PM

FedEx just dropped mine off. Looks really nice and has good weight to it. Ill post a review of my thoughts in a week or so.

analogcabin 17th April 2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melodicmusic (Post 8957522)
FedEx just dropped mine off. Looks really nice and has good weight to it. Ill post a review of my thoughts in a week or so.

Please tell us what OS you're using and what DAW.

Congrats!

mobstatus 17th April 2013 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my review
Hello everybody. I just got my 18i20 yesterday. Guitar center just recieved it. It came really nicely packaged....It looks and feels quality built. I hooked it up and started using it last night....Its AWESOME....It has a really warm clear sound to it. Im running it on WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit. No driver problems or anything except it does not come with a installation disc. You have to download them from there website. I JUST HAD THE SCARLETT 18I6 and returned it to purchase this unit. The SCARLETT 18i6 had a sharp clear sound. Dont get me wrong the 18i6 had a great sound also but there is a clear difference between the two. I am running my KORG TRINITY V3 THROUGH IT AND ALL IS WELL. I also loaded up a couple of sessions in cubase SX3 and VST'S ARE WORKING AND SOUNDING GREAT with my TRINITY as the controller. I have the Focusrite ISA ONE coupled with a bluebird mic but have not yet had a chance to test it yet. The USB cable is really short.... I probably need to get a longer one (ANY RECOMMENDATIONS) it would be much appreciated. The reason I ask is because it is a ferrite cable. Overall it is a great unit.

thenoodle 17th April 2013 10:09 PM

Now, the only question is why there's only a wordclock out. At least, that's my question.

Melodicmusic 18th April 2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogcabin (Post 8957523)
Please tell us what OS you're using and what DAW.

Congrats!

Thanks! I am using it with Windows 7 64 bit, Sonar X1 Producer is my DAW.
I will be upgrading to Windows 8 64 bit once they get it under control, it is horrible right now. Soon will be using Sonar X2 Producer.