Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Shadow Hills Mastering Comp on mix bus: Tone? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/823936-shadow-hills-mastering-comp-mix-bus-tone.html)

switch1 25th March 2013 08:01 PM

Shadow Hills Mastering Comp on mix bus: Tone?

Here is some info:

I am using an API 2500 and an Alan Smart C1 for mix bus compression. Mainly long attack-auto/short release, 2-3 db's of gain reduction the most.

The C1 glues the mix very well but I feel like it makes it "smaller" and hmmm... colder (sometimes it is so difficult to describe audio)

The API 2500 has a lovely color but my mixes don't translate that well, the bass is not that tight and the midrange is somehow veiled.

What about the Shadow Hills Mastering comp? How does it sound on the mix bus? I am planning to use the VCA section. Tone-wise what would you compare it with? Is it worth it's high price?

I wish I could try one but living in Europe/Greece makes it impossible to demo..

RoundBadge 25th March 2013 09:12 PM

I have SHMC #2.
Went from a Smart C2.sold the Smart immediately after hearing the SH.
Not to say the Smart sucked, just preferred the natural openness the SH retained as where the C2 sounded harder/ grainier and shrank things a bit.
I have a 2500.SH always beats it on 2 buss.
Use it for parallel drum Gtr etc.

switch1 25th March 2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 8880819)
I have SHMC #2.
Went from a Smart C2.sold the Smart immediately after hearing the SH.
Not to say the Smart sucked, just preferred the natural openness the SH retained as where the C2 sounded harder/ grainier and shrank things a bit.
I have a 2500.SH always beats it on 2 buss.
Use it for parallel drum Gtr etc.

Hello and thank you for your reply:) I've been following your posts and I know that you own some great gear and a great pair of ears!

These days I'm into giving some weight to the tone of my mix bus. API 2500 was my first choice but it doesn't work for me.

So far my 99% go-to bus chain is C1-->GML 8200. Nice, pristine, "radio-ready" clean but sometimes too clean and too "pop-y". I am waiting for a Retro 2A3 and looking for a great comp that sounds big and organic but not too grainy. My favorite setting on the C1 is 4:1, 10 ms attack auto release (classic SSL bus setting)

Do you think that SHMC--> Retro 2A3 will give me the goods? Feel free to suggest anything else:)

RoundBadge 25th March 2013 10:36 PM

In the right hands the SH and Retro will give you a some weight and character without losing width /clarity and size.
I haven't found anything I prefer over the SH yet. It just works for me.
The iron mode alone will add some beef and thickness to the low's and low mids.
The Retro tube amp stage has a beauty to it but can be too much for some things,hence don't lose the GML.it would be nice to have both.
I don't actually eq the mix buss much anymore but for adding color/vibe that's a seriously potent combo.

nickelironsteel 25th March 2013 10:56 PM

chosing between shmc, red 3 rev. a 'old style knobs' and a 33609 metal knob followed by a matched pair of mastering pultecs eqp1s3 here and if i could only have 1 the shmc is the most versatile.

funzo 26th March 2013 12:14 AM

I find myself using the c2 (with sidechain on) and the SHMC on the 2 bus on the same type of records. Namely semi aggressive to aggressive songs often with rock guitar tones or songs that generally speaking have powerful bottom and mids. It seems like almost luck of the draw which one works better with which song. There are more tonal options with the SHMC, so it is a bit easier to dial in details though.
I tend to prefer a whole different type of comp on sparser or more mellow material though.

switch1 26th March 2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funzo (Post 8881501)
I find myself using the c2 (with sidechain on) and the SHMC on the 2 bus on the same type of records. Namely semi aggressive to aggressive songs often with rock guitar tones or songs that generally speaking have powerful bottom and mids. It seems like almost luck of the draw which one works better with which song. There are more tonal options with the SHMC, so it is a bit easier to dial in details though.
I tend to prefer a whole different type of comp on sparser or more mellow material though.

And what would be that comp?:)

funzo 26th March 2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch1 (Post 8881552)
And what would be that comp?:)

Have been using alpha/EAR combo Hardly moving meters on either but I feel like the Alpha in front keeps the signal more in the sweet spot for the EARs

GYang 26th March 2013 12:44 AM

SHMC is great on 2 bus and almost my final choice after Phoenix/C2 combo used for few years (pretty standard pair that works well together). Complication with the choice of SHMC was created when I heard Elysia Alpha and later paired it to DW Fearn VT-7. Similar in character to Phoenix/C2, but with more of everything (transparency while crushing dynamics, keeping integrity of sonics, wide and large sound stage). Actually SHMC does similar job with great quality, but if edge is needed on 2-buss (I find it criticaly important for most of mixes) Alpha/VT-7 make me smile each time.

switch1 26th March 2013 01:09 AM

So for all the SHMC owners: On the mix bus are you using just the VCA side?

jac 26th March 2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch1 (Post 8881667)

It depends on the music. At the beginning i was using the vca only. Then i started using both and today i use both compressors on 95% of the music i mix (rock, metal, electro and electronic). Usually 1 db reduction on the opto and not more than 1 db on the vca section.

switch1 26th March 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac (Post 8881684)
It depends on the music. At the beginning i was using the vca only. Then i started using both and today i use both compressors on 95% of the music i mix (rock, metal, electro and electronic). Usually 1 db reduction on the opto and not more than 1 db on the vca section.

Cool, I've never tried an opto comp on master bus. I thought that it would be too slow.

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 03:18 AM

Mix buss 80% vca here
The opto softens the transients and high end.
Like vca/opto on drums though. Rounds out the cymbals a bit.

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 03:58 AM

I Miss my Ear 660's.

jac 26th March 2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch1 (Post 8881700)
Cool, I've never tried an opto comp on master bus. I thought that it would be too slow.

It is slow, you have to be careful or your mix will collapse. Needle has to move just a little.
Both the sections are very aggressive. I wouldn't call the shmc a gentle compressor, but it sounds really thick and fat.

I needed few months to learn that beast and to understand how to mix into it.

For mastering purposes maybe the Vca section will be enough, but at today's time mixes come already more than compressed that i often just use a touch of Manley Vari Mu for get where I want to go.

geareyes 26th March 2013 01:20 PM

VK limited edition

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard the difference between Vintage Kings limited edition SHMC - all class A, & the regular version?

Can anyone contribute more information as to the definate differences between the two versions?

Thank you,

Mike

Dave Reid 26th March 2013 03:33 PM

Also, there seems to be previous different versions with extra transformers etc..

There a thread about it on here somewhere..

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 04:58 PM

My early unit sounds different to the current version.

BB Bill 26th March 2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 8882110)
I Miss my Ear 660's.

Me too. Had a pair in the early 00's. Unreal.

7+1 26th March 2013 05:21 PM

The EAR is my all time favorite vocal comp..

If I had the money.. I'd have 8 of them..

:)

Round badge... Why did you get rid of yours???

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7+1 (Post 8883545)

Round badge... Why did you get rid of yours???

Needed $ for house down payment ;)

Killer drum buss comps too.

Wouldn't likely justify buying another pair but it was nice while it lasted!

funzo 26th March 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 8882110)
I Miss my Ear 660's.

I do have a soft spot for them and probably will never be getting rid of mine. Def prefer them to Fairchilds (which I don't have but have used often). Not like they do the same thing Anyway.
Besides 2 bus stuff, when working with certain male vocalists who have a little bit of lower richness in their voice... I think I've only come across 2 other tools that bring out that feeling inside where I went "that's it!"

switch1 26th March 2013 08:18 PM

Order placed for the Shadow Hills Mastering comp, thanx for all the great info :)

geareyes 26th March 2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundBadge (Post 8883469)
My early unit sounds different to the current version.

Hey Hunter,

I guess that is a comparison that has been made against your earlier regular model vs the current regular model & not VK's version.

Is your earlier model more sonically pleasing to you?

Mike

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geareyes (Post 8884300)
Hey Hunter,

I guess that is a comparison that has been made against your earlier regular model vs the current regular model & not VK's version.

Is your earlier model more sonically pleasing to you?

Mike

VS. Regular version. Not the new class A special edition.
Yes I prefer my unit sonically.

RoundBadge 26th March 2013 09:41 PM

OT but Just Tried Lisson Groves on a stereo mix.
Doing just a couple db.Lots o color.nice .

matskull 4th July 2014 02:21 AM

How's the midrange on the SHMC?
I know it's supposed to be thick and fat but can it also bring the mids forward in a mix?

I tried the UAD version once on vocals and brass and really liked what it did.
I have the Shadow Hills Equinox right now and I really like it but I'd like to add a comp that gives some nice mids to a mix and the Shadow Hills is really tempting if it can do that.

nickelironsteel 4th July 2014 09:20 AM

Red 3 for mids followed by the shadow for lows and highs

The MPCist 4th July 2014 01:44 PM

I've got the Smart C2 but it's on the drum buss (parallel comp) with the SHMC on the main buss. One really good thing about the SHMC is the three transformers.

TanTan 4th July 2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch1 (Post 8881667)

Yes in most cases. I'll only sometimes use the opto if the song doesn't include drums or percussion..