Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/809247-retro-sta-level-favorite-settings.html)

Trakworx 3rd February 2013 10:48 PM

Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings?

I just got a Retro Sta-Level Gold Edition. What a beauty!

I'm just starting to get to know it for myself, but am curious what some other user's favorite recovery time/mode settings are for various sources - vocals, bass, Ac Gtr, E Gtr, kick drum... And how much GR do you like to use?

Thanks!

Lee Cardan 3rd February 2013 11:31 PM

beautiful compressor kfhkh

For vocals and bass, it ends up:
Attack: Double
Recovery: Pos 4, one before the fastest
GR, 10-20 dB ! but just so it gets nice and thick without flattening out

Trakworx 4th February 2013 02:49 AM

Thanks!

I was under the impression that the "mode" control affects the release not the attack. Maybe it's both. Why is there no manual? I'd like to know the attack/release times at various settings...

staudio 4th February 2013 02:59 AM

Mine basically lives on Double and Recovery 4.

Ryan Silva 4th February 2013 03:08 AM

On vocals I go back and forth on the single and double modes. The release is great set to anything really, it's where most of the character comes from in my opinion. Backing vocals do great set to the slower settings, but anything that has a lot of syllables I speed up the release time.

Trakworx 4th February 2013 06:49 PM

I appreciate the replies!

After 1 day with it I can tell it's nearly impossible to make anything sound bad with it, and I can use my ears when setting it, but I'd still like to know -

Is there somewhere I can find info on what the attack and release times are at the various settings on this beast?

Cheers,

James Lugo 5th February 2013 12:51 AM

Double, 4, 10 to 20db of reduction but it can hit harder

Empire Prod 5th February 2013 12:57 AM

I bought the old Gates Sta-Level from Sound City. I use it sooooo much. Most of the time on Double and reducing anywhere from 10-40 dbs! I have no restraint with the thing.

littlesicily 5th February 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empire Prod (Post 8714662)
I bought the old Gates Sta-Level from Sound City.

Oh, now you're just bragging. heh kfhkh kfhkh

littlesicily 5th February 2013 06:03 PM

Vocals: double mode, Recovery time anywhere between 3 o'clock (fastest setting) to 11 o'clock and 5-20db of gain reduction.

Bass: I like triple mode b/c it growls a bit. If u want it cleaner try single or double mode.

Trakworx 5th February 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesicily (Post 8716785)
Vocals: double mode, Recovery time anywhere between 3 o'clock (fastest setting) to 11 o'clock and 5-20db of gain reduction.

Bass: I like triple mode b/c it growls a bit. If u want it cleaner try single or double mode.

Thanks! Does "Mode" affect the attack time at all, or just the release time? I haven't had time to test this for myself yet, so it's easier to just ask you :)

------------------------

Also, anybody using a 6386 tube instead of the "T-bar" that comes stock? Any significant difference in sound?

Thanks all!

kmade 5th February 2013 06:33 PM

I think 6386 made mine a litte creamyer sounding not huge but I think it was worth it jmo Sent from my Motorola Electrify

littlesicily 5th February 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trakworx (Post 8716823)
Thanks! Does "Mode" affect the attack time at all, or just the release time? I haven't had time to test this for myself yet, so it's easier to just ask you :)

------------------------

Also, anybody using a 6386 tube instead of the "T-bar" that comes stock? Any significant difference in sound?

Thanks all!

I think I remember Phil @ Retro saying the modes affect both the attack and release slopes.

automatom 5th February 2013 08:25 PM

My Sta-level sounds great as is, but I've got a 6386 heading to me for the fun of it.

Has everyone removed the other tubes when adding or left them in?

nibuz 12th February 2013 04:17 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but being that this is all Retro STA-Level users here I thought I'd ask... I have a problem with mine. Today I turned it on (lights go on etc) but I'm getting absolutely no signal out of it. It's so strange... however when I took a look at the back, there was one tube which wasn't glowing. I'm thinking perhaps it's fried?

If so, is this something that needs a visit to the tech or can I easily buy/replace the tube myself, *if* that is the problem.

I've tried looking online to find a pdf copy of the manual but no luck...

Thanks in advance!

littlesicily 12th February 2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibuz (Post 8739560)
Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but being that this is all Retro STA-Level users here I thought I'd ask... I have a problem with mine. Today I turned it on (lights go on etc) but I'm getting absolutely no signal out of it. It's so strange... however when I took a look at the back, there was one tube which wasn't glowing. I'm thinking perhaps it's fried?

If so, is this something that needs a visit to the tech or can I easily buy/replace the tube myself, *if* that is the problem.

I've tried looking online to find a pdf copy of the manual but no luck...

Thanks in advance!

Quickest solution is to call Phil @ Retro. He can probably talk you thru some trouble shooting and then advise a plan to fix it.

All the best,
Sal

littlesicily 12th February 2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trakworx (Post 8710815)
I just got a Retro Sta-Level Gold Edition. What a beauty!

I'm just starting to get to know it for myself, but am curious what some other user's favorite recovery time/mode settings are for various sources - vocals, bass, Ac Gtr, E Gtr, kick drum... And how much GR do you like to use?

Thanks!

Justin, how are u liking that STA now that u've had it a little while?

nibuz 12th February 2013 04:31 AM

Thanks for the quick response Sal!

littlesicily 12th February 2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibuz (Post 8739583)
Thanks for the quick response Sal!

You're welcome :-)

piano 12th February 2013 06:27 AM

Double and SLOWEST recovery time for vintage mojo magic.

They should have named the box the MAGIC VOCAL BOX. Set and forget.

teo 13th February 2013 10:39 AM

Single or double, release one or two clicks from the fastest setting.

Cannot find much use for the triple setting, was wondering if it's just me...

littlesicily 13th February 2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teo (Post 8743453)
Cannot find much use for the triple setting, was wondering if it's just me...

b a s s

Trakworx 18th February 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesicily (Post 8739569)

I'm just returning from a vacation so I have no news to report yet, but I'll let ya know!

teo 22nd February 2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesicily (Post 8744071)
b a s s

Really?
Mmmmm...interesting...scary as well, as I usually record bass with compression.

littlesicily 22nd February 2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teo (Post 8772359)
Really?
Mmmmm...interesting...scary as well, as I usually record bass with compression.

what do u mean by "scary"?

teo 26th February 2013 01:24 AM

Well, I like getting sound while recording, but to squash the hell out of bass to tape could be a risky business...

littlesicily 26th February 2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teo (Post 8784557)
Well, I like getting sound while recording, but to squash the hell out of bass to tape could be a risky business...

I'm not suggesting you obliterate the bass w compression. Use to taste.

Trakworx 26th February 2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesicily (Post 8739569)

I'm liking it a lot! Still getting to know it, but so far I can't make it sound bad, just different flavors of great.

'Sounds so smooth I'm starting to doubt if the GR meter is really labeled correctly. Not that it matters too much, but I suspect it's not. I've never tried to measure GR, how would I do that?... hmmm...

P.S. I see someone voted me a thumbs down on my last post - heh - vacation envy! :lol:

AllBread 1st March 2013 09:59 PM

I'm comparing a Sta Level to a 176 right now (own the 176 and borrowing the Sta Level). I have to say, I might of bought the wrong one. The flexibility and the openness of the 176 is fantastic but the Sta Level fits my thin singing voice beautifully. I'll have to do some soul searching but there might be a 176 in the classifieds here shortly!

1 question, though - is the meter supposed to be lit? This is a new unit I bought for a clients studio and the meter doesn't light up like my 176 does.

littlesicily 1st March 2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllBread (Post 8798612)
1 question, though - is the meter supposed to be lit? This is a new unit I bought for a clients studio and the meter doesn't light up like my 176 does.

No, it doesn't light up.