Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   I propose a new forum! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/74284-i-propose-new-forum.html)

audiothings 14th June 2006 07:15 AM

I propose a new forum!

Greetings!

For most of us, audio engineering and gear sluttery come from a love of music... and i'm always a bit uncomfortable talking music in a gear specific forum... so many questions i have and recommendations for music to listen to i seek, but it seems a little inappropriate bringing it up within the currently available forums...

Of course there are many forums out there setup for the exact same reason, but knowing that all contributors are gearslutz adds useful perspective and dimension. Moreover, regular visitors/contributors would have a clue who they are talking to over here, and for somebody like myself who spends more time here than at any other forum, it would be a godsend.

So, fellow slutz, please join me in suggesting that a specific forum be created to discuss the music that inspires us to be gearslutz!

Thanks.

Jai Shankar.

midnightsun 14th June 2006 07:24 AM

I agree that this would be a useful forum.

nathanvacha 14th June 2006 05:04 PM

Can't say that I'd oppose... thumbsup

Blind 14th June 2006 05:16 PM

good idea!

severe 14th June 2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiothings
... and i'm always a bit uncomfortable talking music in a gear specific forum...

All for it.

As mentioned in a recent post of mine: "I hate when this forum gets, in my opinion, overly opinionated about music and not the tools used to record it."

Especially when a thread begins on the topic of gear and ends up somewhere else, causing you to have to wade through endless posts about ones personal opinion on an artists style, lack of musical ability, or haircut.

TinderArts 14th June 2006 07:15 PM

+1

thumbsup

PRIME8PRODUCTIONS 14th June 2006 07:17 PM

Yeah an "All about the music" forum would be cool

lefthando 14th June 2006 07:33 PM

Jules?

RainbowStorm 14th June 2006 07:40 PM

I am with you on this... Gear talk is fun when you have money available for it, but when you don't have that it kind of sucks sometimes. I must say it's a good idea to then have a music talk forum where you could discuss other important things. The music itself is really a key thing. I think a such forum here would also make us Gearslutz a little more creative in our ways of dealing with gear purchases, which sometimes can be a very good thing. Some instruments and gear suite some genres better than others. By getting to discuss sound and music related things we could get a nice bridge between the gear forum and the music forum. Currently there are posts about albums for instance that end up in the 'So much gear so little time' forum or in the 'Moan Zone'. This is a typical case when a 'Music forum' would be the right place...

So yeah, I want a such forum! freshflowe

pingu 14th June 2006 07:42 PM

Yup.

Matthew Murray 14th June 2006 07:46 PM

As if my vote is going to push this over the edge, but it has my vote too ;-)

nickname 14th June 2006 08:14 PM

+1 thumbsup

HeatWAVS 14th June 2006 08:14 PM

+1 kfhkh

Autocrat 14th June 2006 09:36 PM

I'd go for that.kfhkh

ekimeno 14th June 2006 09:39 PM

Consider me in +1 cooge

mika 14th June 2006 11:17 PM

yes!freshflowe

dubrichie 14th June 2006 11:34 PM

bang on idea, +1

regards,

richie.

pkautzsch 14th June 2006 11:37 PM

another guy to drop in a "+1" here.

Empty Planet 14th June 2006 11:44 PM

It would be nice to have a forum to address ideas that are strictly musical. It would be nice to be able to bring up an issue about arranging, for instance, and how various arrangement issues impact my job as a mixer. Seeing as how "arrangement" is on most people's list when it comes to producing a great track, it seems only natural to have a place set aside to discuss it and related issues.

A single general music forum would do the trick.

Cheers.

yingyang

DontLetMeDrown 15th June 2006 12:08 AM

I keep thinking it seems weird that there is no "Mixing" forum-- Instead you see mixing questions in every other forumhittt

Also strange that there is a "Hip Hop" forum, but no other "genre-specific" forums. A "Metal" forum would be nice heh

Psyko/Acoustics 15th June 2006 12:13 AM

I can see this proposed forum turning into:

A:"I love this song/genre!"

B:"That song/genre is SH!T!"

A:"You are an idiot! This song/genre is amazing cuz of X, Y and Z!"

B:"LOL, you're a jackass! That song/genre is so ******** because of A, B and C!"

etc.

But, if it makes us happy who am I to argue?

Jim vanBergen 15th June 2006 12:15 AM

Hey Drown, I agree. I'd like to see a forum that covers Mixing and LIVE work (gigging, playing, engineering & reinforcement) as issues from these elements get washed across the other forums, from So Much Gear to High End to Low End to Remote....

But first, lets add the MUSIC forum. gooof

xevan 15th June 2006 12:15 AM

+1 abduction

belairstudio 15th June 2006 12:17 AM

I'd rather go for a "recording/mixing/producing" forum instead

I think lots of us would love to have a precise place to discuss (and find) those things

Jules?

Empty Planet 15th June 2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xevan
idk man there's alot more technical stuff that goes through making a hip hop album/song then a metal album/song.

mezed

yingyang

redrue 15th June 2006 12:29 AM

Please let this happen!

I've had countless questions regarding composing music
tracks that I thought would best be answered by a musician/engineer.

This is an enormously talented and experienced group here on GS...
let's open the floor to music questions.

+1 !!!!!

joshelevator 15th June 2006 12:35 AM

Im in!

cramseur 15th June 2006 12:58 AM

I'm in but only if we can ban the "name your top 10" threads.

I'd really like a recording/mixing/producing forum.

Ah we're slutz...why not both!

warhead 15th June 2006 02:04 AM

Would be nice to have. +1

War

Jules 15th June 2006 02:11 AM

Feel free to start general music chatter threads in the Registered members area
Sub-Forum: Gear free zone - shoot the breeze!

(look at the bottom of the forum list - you can see it and access the link to it https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-free-zone-shoot-the-breeze/ only if you are logged in)