Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Anyone see the new Avedis 500 series EQ yet? I got a picture! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/74233-anyone-see-new-avedis-500-series-eq-yet-i-got-picture.html)

TonyBelmont 13th June 2006 10:08 PM

New Avedis 500 series EQ "The E27"... I got a picture!

1 Attachment(s)
Looks very cool, and has 28k for high frequency shelving!kfhkh

superburtm 13th June 2006 10:14 PM

still no overlapping freq's???Instead he adds a shelf at 28K which I can't even frickin hearhittt Maybe it's meheh

I'm sure it sounds great. THe E15 was nice..but please on the next revision give me overlapping freq's among the bands.

s.d.finley 13th June 2006 10:16 PM

How much?

sdf

tvanveen 13th June 2006 10:50 PM

$1100. Mine should be here in a few days. boing

djui5 13th June 2006 10:59 PM

Is that Avedis from BAE?

That thing looks really sexy boing boing

TonyBelmont 13th June 2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superburtm
still no overlapping freq's???Instead he adds a shelf at 28K which I can't even frickin hearhittt Maybe it's meheh

I'm sure it sounds great. THe E15 was nice..but please on the next revision give me overlapping freq's among the bands.

It's the rise going up to that frequency that you hear... Also, overlapping frequencies isn't something I care so much about.

TonyBelmont 13th June 2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djui5
Is that Avedis from BAE?

That thing looks really sexy boing boing

Yep. kfhkh

http://www.avedisaudio.com/

superburtm 13th June 2006 11:57 PM

thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
It's the rise going up to that frequency that you hear... Also, overlapping frequencies isn't something I care so much about.

I understand that concept of the shelving equalizer...not sure I need a 28k shelf though....my only complaint when using his previous EQ was no overlapping freq's...I found that I'd get stuck with settling for something and wishing I had an option. The somics were top notch though, I thought.

regardless I 'm looking forwar to hearing this puppy...cuz his preamps rule.thumbsup

TonyBelmont 14th June 2006 12:26 AM

Quote:

thumbsup

I understand that concept of the shelving equalizer...not sure I need a 28k shelf though....

Try it out... you might be surprised. Everyone loved the NTI "air" band which also had an extremely high shelf. Daivd Reitzas used that on 90% of the vocals he did with all those big acts he mixed.

Quote:

tI understand that concept of the shelving equalizer...not sure I need a 28k shelf though....my only complaint when using his previous EQ was no overlapping freq's...I found that I'd get stuck with settling for something and wishing I had an option. The somics were top notch though, I thought.

Sometimes it's cool to have overlapping frequencies, but it doesn't make as much sense with a three band unit. Each band has 9 selectable frequencies, and you would have to sacrifice some other frequencies that might be critical to a particular units sound in order to achieve that.

avedis 14th June 2006 12:45 AM

Actually the high frequencies are a bell curve and become a shelve only when you push in the middle button. I understand that shelving above 20Khz may never be needed - it's really there for doing a broad stroke change after, say 8K2.

I have given thought to overlapping but found out that engineers generally find it unnecessary with this type of eq. I tried to answer this on my site, which I am still constructing (www.avedisaudio.com). Here's what under the products section faq's:

[I]Why don't the frequencies overlap?

Overlapping frequencies are popular with parametric eq's which typically have a bandwidth control, but overlapping is not necessary for stepped frequency type of eq. When you overlap with a stepped eq, you force each band to have a wider range of frequencies than you really want. What if you want to adjust a siblance at 5K6 but still want to boost a little bit at 20Khz- if both of these frequencies are on the same band then you cannot use both. It's much better for this type of eq to keep the bands separate but have the frequencies side by side.

The E27 does a great job of covering lots of areas which will be shown on a graph in the near future.

avedis 14th June 2006 12:48 AM

I'll be here for questions. I know there will be some confusion with having 28Khz, but like Tony said, you can hear it because it just catches the tail end of the frequencies inside of 20khz.

Dang Tony, you're like a newsflash reporter. I blink and already there's a picture and some posts.howdy

Avedis

macr0w 14th June 2006 02:22 AM

Mmmmmmmmmm. heh

TonyBelmont 14th June 2006 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avedis
Dang Tony, you're like a newsflash reporter. I blink and already there's a picture and some posts.howdy

Avedis

cooge

superburtm 14th June 2006 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=TonyBelmont]Try it out... you might be surprised. Everyone loved the NTI "air" band which also had an extremely high shelf. Daivd Reitzas used that on 90% of the vocals he did with all those big acts he mixed.

QUOTE]

I'm totally into hearing this for a possible addition to my 2nd lunchboxheh

[email protected] 14th June 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Looks very cool, and has 28k for high frequency shelving!kfhkh

I just happen to have 6 slots open in my 500 rack.......let us know how it sounds when you get it!!

TonyBelmont 14th June 2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I just happen to have 6 slots open in my 500 rack.......let us know how it sounds when you get it!!

Cool... I'm probably going to get one after Tape Op if anyone wants to try it out, too.

mlocascio 15th June 2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avedis
Actually the high frequencies are a bell curve and become a shelve only when you push in the middle button. I understand that shelving above 20Khz may never be needed - it's really there for doing a broad stroke change after, say 8K2.

I have given thought to overlapping but found out that engineers generally find it unnecessary with this type of eq. I tried to answer this on my site, which I am still constructing (www.avedisaudio.com). Here's what under the products section faq's:

[I]Why don't the frequencies overlap?

Overlapping frequencies are popular with parametric eq's which typically have a bandwidth control, but overlapping is not necessary for stepped frequency type of eq. When you overlap with a stepped eq, you force each band to have a wider range of frequencies than you really want. What if you want to adjust a siblance at 5K6 but still want to boost a little bit at 20Khz- if both of these frequencies are on the same band then you cannot use both. It's much better for this type of eq to keep the bands separate but have the frequencies side by side.

The E27 does a great job of covering lots of areas which will be shown on a graph in the near future.

For whatever it's worth, I find the over-lapping frequencies on the APPI 550A EQ very usefull at times.

avedis 15th June 2006 03:33 AM

The 550A does not actually overlap in the way a 550B or a 554 (a parametric) does... being with a greater margin. Only 400hz and 5K are shared between the bands. Just the same, they are all excellent eq's I also own and have also serviced many of them. Different tools for different applications I guess.

tvanveen 15th June 2006 08:24 PM

It's here.

I thought the red knobs were painted, but they have an anodized finish. Very nice.

I'm in the middle of rewiring so I probably won't have any time to run signal through it for a few days.

Endure 15th June 2006 09:23 PM

Any idea when API Lunchboxes and 500 racks will be officially supported? Currently the Avedis website states only the BAE rack is supported.

Also, how would you characterize the Avedis EQ compared to the API 500 series EQs?

Thank you for any insight you can share.

C/G 15th June 2006 10:51 PM

So is Avedis a seperate entity from BAE now? I assume so since he has his own site. The Eq's look nice and I was interested in the original offerings but they disappeared.

Rob King 17th June 2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endure
Any idea when API Lunchboxes and 500 racks will be officially supported? Currently the Avedis website states only the BAE rack is supported.

Also, how would you characterize the Avedis EQ compared to the API 500 series EQs?

Thank you for any insight you can share.

I just ordered one from Tony Belmont and he assured me that they work in the API 500B and 500V cases. We will see next week when I get the unit...I will post.

Rob King

lucey 18th June 2006 07:54 AM

I've had 2 E15s and 2 550b in a APIs 6 spc. box for a year ... works fine. 512b and Gama too.

a Great EQ .... low end punch/tranny weight plus a clean/brite push.

DirkB 18th June 2006 10:05 AM

I am about to order two channels of eq. I was going to be the eq-2nv or the new E15. Since I love the 312a's from Brent Averill, I really was hoping the new frequencies would make it more usable.

However, sad to see the bands are not overlapping. From a 3 band eq I really would like to be able to do a pretty standard kick eq: boost 63hz and cut 300hz at the same time. Too bad that's not possible...

Same with snare: cut 800, boost 3-4k...

Greetings,
Dirk

kellyd 18th June 2006 05:04 PM

Dirk, that 's exactly what I've talked to Avedis about in the past. I've had an E15 since they came out. I generally don't use it on kik and bass. I need to cut around 300-250 and still have the low band for boosting. I really like the low end punch from this eq ( even in bypass). Sort of a drag that I don't use it on those instruments due to the freqs available. I assumed Avedis was going to add those lower mid freqs in the mid band but I guess there is a good reason why he didn't.
Doesn't work for me but he does get input from engs in LA area so I guess they suggested the freqs that the E27 has.
I'm sure Avedis will chime in again and explain to all.

tvanveen 20th June 2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

You can definitely hear it.

It seems to be working fine in my OSA rack as well.

absrec 21st June 2006 12:23 AM

Go Avedis!!! kfhkh kfhkh kfhkh

I wish I wasn't so damn broke right now or I'd buy two!

picksail 21st June 2006 12:34 AM

This is an incredible EQ!!!!!

The 28k step is more of a percieved thing, but nonetheless, very usable.

Oh and Avedis, I'm sorry for 'stealing' your Chandler T-shirt.
Montessi would leave for a minute then return with all these t-shirts from various companies.
I was like, 'what in the hell am I gonna do with all these things'.

Aside: (potential thread hi-jacking not intended) Wait 'till you guys see what A-Designs is working on now.

tvanveen 21st June 2006 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picksail
Aside: (potential thread hi-jacking not intended) Wait 'till you guys see what A-Designs is working on now.

Hijack away. jkthtyrt

rainsinvelvet 21st June 2006 03:02 AM

I checked out the E27 at TapeOpCon and it felt very solid. I was impressed with the 28k boost/cut. Also, Avedis was as nice in person as he is on the phone. It's on my short list of items to buy soon!

ERic