Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   When do you need an audio mixer? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/703137-when-do-you-need-audio-mixer.html)

newmusic11 24th February 2012 07:35 AM

When do you need an audio mixer?

Just wondering when you need an audio mixer and it's primary purpose - in a sense, what actually is mixing?

chrysb93065 24th February 2012 09:15 AM

Hi! Not sure about the question, but here goes...
We use an audio mixer strictly for monitoring. Most preamps have 2 outputs - we send the balanced to the converter and the unbalanced to the mixer. That way, we don't have to use the DAW or converters for monitoring, and everything is in real time . We can add reverb/delay or any effect to the monitor bus, especially when the singer wants lots of it, without affecting the printed signal. A decent mixer with multiple busses and sends can combine outboard synths, mics, DAW playback and outboard processors in many combinations.
OR......, you can use a GOOD audio mixer for mixing, if your converter has enough outputs to make it worthwhile. Send the result back to new tracks in the DAW, or directly to tape or a DVD/BR recorder.

newmusic11 24th February 2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrysb93065 (Post 7600489)
Hi! Not sure about the question, but here goes...
We use an audio mixer strictly for monitoring. Most preamps have 2 outputs - we send the balanced to the converter and the unbalanced to the mixer. That way, we don't have to use the DAW or converters for monitoring, and everything is in real time . We can add reverb/delay or any effect to the monitor bus, especially when the singer wants lots of it, without affecting the printed signal. A decent mixer with multiple busses and sends can combine outboard synths, mics, DAW playback and outboard processors in many combinations.
OR......, you can use a GOOD audio mixer for mixing, if your converter has enough outputs to make it worthwhile. Send the result back to new tracks in the DAW, or directly to tape or a DVD/BR recorder.

I'm using the Apogee Duet 2 on Logic Pro 9 with an SM7B dynamic mic. I am trying to really learn the technical side of things, are there any videos or recommended sites or places to learn these different tools and buttons on mixing music and what not, so that when I start recording vocals - I am balancing things correctly and not making it sound amateur.

travisbrown 24th February 2012 05:06 PM

Get the Alan Parsons DVD set and start watching. Lots to learn.

Yamaha had some good basics of audio engineering books a few years ago too. Also look for a book called "The Art Of Mixing"

newmusic11 24th February 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travisbrown (Post 7601683)
Get the Alan Parsons DVD set and start watching. Lots to learn.

Yamaha had some good basics of audio engineering books a few years ago too. Also look for a book called "The Art Of Mixing"

Perfect, I appreciate that.

Thank you