Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   first high end pre (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/69889-first-high-end-pre.html)

mindseye 9th May 2006 03:10 AM

first high end pre

Hi Gearslutz,

I'm a pretty new member, although I've been lurking for some time.
I'm ready to invest in a quality pre-amp that will hold its value and be useful
for years to come.

I've been considering the Great River or an API as an all
around workhorse pre for vocals, tracking keyboards
and drum machines, etc.

Are there any other pres that I should be considering, (Pacifica, Purple Audio)??

thanks

jdjustice 9th May 2006 03:38 AM

Get the ME-1NV

Hi Mindseye,

This is a touchy topic and everyone will disagree on something like "what's the best preamp" but I think I can give you just my humble opinion. If you are just looking (and perhaps just need) a single-channel, I say no bones about it, look at the Great River ME-1NV seriously. This is a fantastic "first" and "only" preamp for many reasons. Just be aware that the sound improvement may be subtle at first until you are "tuned" to the sound of a good preamp and also remember that a new microphone and different mic placements, as well as improvements to your acoustical space, can be a more immediate "a-ha" experience than improving the preamp (JHMO).

So I say go for the GR ME-1NV and then when you can afford it you can add the Great River EQ to the second-half of the rackspace occupied by the ME-1NV and then you will have a great pre AND outboard EQ!

Just my (Very) humble opinions.

Happy hunting!! kfhkh

mindseye 9th May 2006 05:02 AM

thanks jdjustice,

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. You've summed up my situation, in a nutshell.
It will be my only good preamp until my budget can justify more.
You've made me feel like I'm headed down the right path with the Great River.
I've never found any bad comments about them.
(I'm sure if I look hard enough, I can)gooof

An engineer at a pro studio suggested this pre to me, so I feel the purchase of an ME-1NV wouldn't be unwise. Just fishing for other potential candidates

Once again, thanks jdjustice!!

Jeff19 9th May 2006 05:17 AM

agree get the great river

i agree since the GR ME-1NV will sound great and give you a little flexibility. so when you adjust the parameters, it's like having a few different pre's. personally that's why i think it's the best first high end pre. getting an api would be flippin sweet and not a bad choice if you got it as your first good pre. but IMHO i would cousider it for your next pre purchace.

Dot 9th May 2006 05:19 AM

mindseye, one reason to go with API is if you see yourself buying more preamps at some point in the future. Or EQ's and/comps. Because you could buy an API 500-6B lunchbox, and then drop in 500-series-compatible modules in for very affordable prices. Much less than if you were buying stand-alone components.

http://www.apiaudio.com/5006b.html
http://www.apiaudio.com/512c.html

Or if you want to go with a single-channel preamp that has a lot of tonal versatility, the ME-1NV is a great choice, too.

Yetti 9th May 2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindseye
Hi Gearslutz,

for years to come.

and drum machines, etc.

Are there any other pres that I should be considering, (Pacifica, Purple Audio)??

thanks

Hey mindseye,
I am thinking that you may consider getting a 2 channel mic pre, if you need a left and right stereo for the keyboards and the drum machine.
I would recommend the Pacifica, it sounds great, 2 channels of direct input on the face , and Peter is a regular here on GS if you ever have a question or a problem, you can talk to the owner who really cares about his product.
Good luck with whatever preamp you choose Brotha....All of the pre's you mentioned are world class.

robot gigante 9th May 2006 05:39 AM

Well, someone had to mention the 'N' word... sorry it had to be me.

At the end of the day that's the sound everyone seems to want (clients etc)... And a real Neve, not a clone. 1073 or 1084.

If you can't swing the $$ for one, well, if it were me I'd pick up a Pacifica first after that, and API second.

The thing is with any mic pre in this calibre is you won't go wrong with any of the recommendations so far, so don't sweat your decision too much.

jdjustice 9th May 2006 05:46 AM

Hey mindseye,

you might be interested in this post where our good friend Fletcher talks about the sonic possibilities of the MP-2NV with the GR EQ (EQ-2NV). Remember that you can get the ME-1NV and later add a one-channel version of the GR EQ if you want.. just thought you would find it interesting.....

Fletcher's Post on the MP-2NV with the EQ-2NV.

j.d.

7om 9th May 2006 07:35 AM

If you are considering using this pre for keys and drum machines, it's hard to imagine working with just one channel. I have an MP-2NV as well as a pair of Millennia TD-1's. I prefer to use microphones with the MP-2NV because there is a broader range of tone available. With keys, I prefer the DI on the TD-1, as it seems to convey much more detail than the 2NV. Of course, there are occasions where the Millennia mic input or the 2NV DI are more appropriate, but I don't tend to start there.

espasonico 9th May 2006 02:46 PM

I also have a TD-1 and a ME-1NV and prefer the Millennia´s DI. The EQ in the TD-1 it´s great.

There are so many options and all of them are good when you talk about real quality preamps.

Bat Head Sound 9th May 2006 03:34 PM

If you can swing it, you might want to consider an API 7600 channel strip. If you can't, then either pre would be great. Just remember, you can't go wrong with API...kfhkh

arpodthegreat 9th May 2006 03:34 PM

great river is a great choice. it's also true that you can't really go wrong with any of these pres (great river, purple, a-design, etc...). however i think doing the expected thing is boring and conservative. why not get a TAB v78. they're under a grand at mercenary and i doubt it'll sound bad on anything. that's a pre where you will notice the difference. it will probably be great for your drum machines and keyboards too. you could get a pair for under 2 grand. that's a steal in my book. variable impedance makes it versatile too.

mindseye 9th May 2006 06:47 PM

thanks for all the responses!!

you guys have given some great suggestions and steered me in the right direction. lots of options to consider. its good to know i wouldn't be wrong with any of these choices. right now, i'm tracking my parts in mono primarily so i feel i can get by with a single channel pre for now.

gearslutz is a great site, thanks for sharing your knowledge

uptheoctave 9th May 2006 06:50 PM

Groove Tubes Vipre.

James

Zwinter 9th May 2006 07:34 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with the Great River, API, or Tab Funkenwerk. (All of which were mentioned in earlier posts.) Hopefully this won't be your last high end pre-amp, so enjoy your lifelong quest to assemble a great collection of pre-amps.

wilkinswp 10th May 2006 02:20 AM

I was in your situation last year. I got the MP-2NV. Andam glad I listened to everyone rave about it. . . .

7om 10th May 2006 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espasonico
I also have a TD-1 and a ME-1NV and prefer the Millennia´s DI. The EQ in the TD-1 it´s great.

I totally agree. The TD-1 EQ is exceptional.

TonyBelmont 10th May 2006 06:23 AM

You can't go wrong with anything that says API on it!

Also, be sure to check out the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII...

http://highprofileaudio.com/AuroraAudioGTQ.htm

Lobotomy 10th May 2006 06:27 AM

Hi!

I was in your situation a year ago an bought A-Designs MP-2. I'm very happy with it, and I have actually picked it as the best one in a big blind test. There is a mono version as well if you don't need two channels.

I think a good preamp is the right way to start getting into the good stuff.

Good luck!

Bump Music 10th May 2006 06:34 AM

If I had it all to do again I would buy an API rack, and one or two API pres. The sound is classic, they have great resale value, and the rack is open for other great and upcoming modules. Good luck

Rednose 10th May 2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Hi Gearslutz,

for years to come.

and drum machines, etc.

thanks

I would go with something that is a great pre, and will bring back return on your investment.
API, Neve, Avalon.
There names that will increase your per hour rate.
There all excelent and will do fine on your personal stuff.
Think about investment, just my oppinon.

s.d.finley 10th May 2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump Music
If I had it all to do again I would buy an API rack, and one or two API pres. The sound is classic, they have great resale value, and the rack is open for other great and upcoming modules. Good luck

ditto...

look at other 500 series pres from: A-Designs, BAE, Shadow Hills, Buzz, Purple Audio, OSA...lots of great and different stuff to choose from and fill out your soundscape.

sdf

DirkB 10th May 2006 07:26 AM

And another "which preamp" thread about to diverge into infitnityhittt heh .

Any of those will do fine. You got to the GR and API, just chose the one that you think you'll want (for whatever reason) and don't sweat too much about it.

Greetings,
Dirk

robot gigante 10th May 2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpodthegreat
great river is a great choice. it's also true that you can't really go wrong with any of these pres (great river, purple, a-design, etc...). however i think doing the expected thing is boring and conservative. why not get a TAB v78. they're under a grand at mercenary and i doubt it'll sound bad on anything. that's a pre where you will notice the difference. it will probably be great for your drum machines and keyboards too. you could get a pair for under 2 grand. that's a steal in my book. variable impedance makes it versatile too.

The TAB-Funkenwerk V-78 is okay... I have one sitting in the rack here, but it doesn't seem to get as much use as the others.

I also like the A Designs MP-2 a lot, that one gets a lot of use here, especially for acoustic instruments.

Yeah, there a lot of good choices come to think about it!

StudioKing 10th May 2006 11:05 AM

I think you should check out the Daking 52270.

mindseye 12th May 2006 11:53 PM

thanks for all the helpful input gearslutz!!

NOCCA 13th May 2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

I've never found any bad comments about them.
(I'm sure if I look hard enough, I can)gooof

Just look here:

While not a bad comment per say, a friend of mine who used both crane songs on a session and the Great rivers said that 8 times out of ten he picked the Crane Song, and those other two times were because he ran out of Crane Song Channels.

It wasn't that it was a bad pre, in fact I believe he thought it was pretty cool, it was just for what they were doing Crane Song Spider won every time. (especially acoustic guitar).

>>AG

Jose Mrochek 13th May 2006 04:44 AM

What about the new eye candy A2A or something from API. Looks like a bargain with 2 converters included. I would personaly wait on reports from it before making a decision right now.

TonyBelmont 13th May 2006 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
What about the new eye candy A2A or something from API. Looks like a bargain with 2 converters included. I would personaly wait on reports from it before making a decision right now.

The A2D. I think I'm still the only one who's played with it... It gets the kfhkh from me!

GYang 13th May 2006 07:46 AM

Great River = river of great sound !
It's hard to find more excellent, usable preamplification than Great River offers, even later when you add some very high $$$ GR will holds its place in your work. I use it all the time, although some pres I have cost 2-3 times more.
It can be the first or the last pre, but it is 100% fine high end no doubt.
Later you owe to yourself some tube pre (Telefunken, Pendulum Audio), very clean pre (Buzz, DAV El) and nicely coloured one (Chandler).gooof

But don't listen too much to advices, take one and be happy. cooge