Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Modular filters and gear; compatable with samples? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/648922-modular-filters-gear-compatable-samples.html)

robkramble 15th September 2011 03:42 PM

Modular filters and gear; compatable with samples?
 
This may be a real dumb question, but I was wondering if modular gear like the Analogue Solutions SY 02 is capable of filtering samples played through it off of my laptop through an audio interface. By samples I mean sounds taken off of records, not analogue synth loops, etc.

The second question I guess is, if it indeed works, how would I use it? Is there a good 1/4" to patch-cable solution, and does it degrade the quality of audio coming out the other side?

Thanks!

boon 15th September 2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robkramble (Post 7034455)
This may be a real dumb question, but I was wondering if modular gear like the Analogue Solutions SY 02 is capable of filtering samples played through it off of my laptop through an audio interface. By samples I mean sounds taken off of records, not analogue synth loops, etc.

The second question I guess is, if it indeed works, how would I use it? Is there a good 1/4" to patch-cable solution, and does it degrade the quality of audio coming out the other side?

Thanks!

er. yeah.. audio is audio.. doesn't matter where it comes from.. get the levels right and you can route it anywhere.

just get the right cables and you'll be fine. though an input module (envelope follower or something like it) will likely be needed.

are you thinking about building a small modular system for processing sounds?

BTByrd 15th September 2011 06:10 PM

Small pimpin:

http://www.doepfer.de/a119.gif

Big pimpin:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/cwejman/ap1/ap1.jpg

robkramble 15th September 2011 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies dudes, that A-119 is just the thing I needed! I'm thinking of making a Eurorack modular setup with Doepfer gear because it's inexpensive and good quality. The first thing I want to do is setup an external in, envelope generator, LFO and filter, and I guess a 1/4" output if that's a possibility.

I had a couple questions; what's the difference between a standard LFO and a Voltage Controlled LFO? Would a standard be that much worse?

And does anyone have case recommendations?

m.o 15th September 2011 06:43 PM

The fun with Voltage controlled LFOs starts when you have two or more and have them modulate each others frequency heh

Reptil 15th September 2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robkramble (Post 7034952)
Thanks for the replies dudes, that A-119 is just the thing I needed! I'm thinking of making a Eurorack modular setup with Doepfer gear because it's inexpensive and good quality. The first thing I want to do is setup an external in, envelope generator, LFO and filter, and I guess a 1/4" output if that's a possibility.

I had a couple questions; what's the difference between a standard LFO and a Voltage Controlled LFO? Would a standard be that much worse?

And does anyone have case recommendations?

depends on your location.
shipping cases across the ocean is not handy.

the a-119 can be modded easily by swapping out the chip.

the standard LFO of Doepfer is quite good and cheap.

also check out this one heh

the 1/4" output of Doepfer is handy (I kept it), but soldering your own 1/8"-1/4" cables is easy and cleaner when working. (one less module)

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.o (Post 7034972)
The fun with Voltage controlled LFOs starts when you have two or more and have them modulate each others frequency heh

kfhkh
yes, that's a fun trick! and then have one of the VCLFOs be the master clock, while it's being CV-ed, so it's feedbacking on itself all the way. add an attennuator or delay line somewhere and tweak.

chrisso 15th September 2011 09:08 PM

There's also some great boutique modules in Euro (the Doepfer standard).
I particularly like Analogue Systems.
Yeah, all you need is some kind of audio in, your filters, and an audio out.
Bear in mind you need two of everything for stereo, otherwise you can just go into your audio processing rack as mono.

Mardi Gras 15th September 2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisso (Post 7035458)
There's also some great boutique modules in Euro (the Doepfer standard).
I particularly like Analogue Systems.
Yeah, all you need is some kind of audio in, your filters, and an audio out.
Bear in mind you need two of everything for stereo, otherwise you can just go into your audio processing rack as mono.

Are there no filters that accept stereo inputs?

Freematik 15th September 2011 11:39 PM

One of my colleagues has a huge modular system, and we've released music in which he has thoroughly mangled samples with his modular, probably the best example is here:

Blood In, Analog Out | Double Felix

Just an example of what can be done, I'm not trying to say it's great or not, just that this is an example of some hardcore modular mangling of samples...

chrisso 16th September 2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mardi Gras (Post 7036007)
Are there no filters that accept stereo inputs?

Probably.
I can't think of any off hand, but I don't follow Euro format closely.
You need stereo audio input too.
I know there are plenty of stereo output modules.

It's no big deal, just an issue of space and cost.
I do mono processing a lot anyway.
But be aware that most modular modules are mono (inputs, filters, vca's and other audio processors).

robkramble 16th September 2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freematik (Post 7036024)
One of my colleagues has a huge modular system, and we've released music in which he has thoroughly mangled samples with his modular, probably the best example is here:

Blood In, Analog Out | Double Felix

Just an example of what can be done, I'm not trying to say it's great or not, just that this is an example of some hardcore modular mangling of samples...

Thanks for the demo dude, I like it.

I've been prowling Analogue Haven's website and have found everything I'll need except one thing; an inexpensive and in-stock case. It seems like only Doepfer has cases for sale on their site. Any recommendations for a ~40hp case that's preferably around $300?

Reptil 16th September 2011 12:26 AM

the only way to get that much for that budget is to source some old industrial standard eurocard racks, or get some connection strips (to bolt the modules on) and DIY a case yourself.
many of the readymade cases are expensive IMHO.

PSU you can buy from Doepfer, Power One, TipTop, and others.
Busboards from Doepfer, TipTop, or CatGirlSynth (Ken Stone).

It's not that difficult.

robkramble 16th September 2011 01:03 AM

Didn't notice the DIY gear til you pointed it out, wicked. Thanks dude.

boon 16th September 2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mardi Gras (Post 7036007)
Are there no filters that accept stereo inputs?

buy 2 of the same module

Quote:

Originally Posted by robkramble (Post 7036097)
Any recommendations for a ~40hp case that's preferably around $300?

the happy ending kit from tip top audio is under $200

a n a l o g u e h a v e n

Grain 16th September 2011 01:45 AM

Question: why are audio input and ouput modules needed? I understand that you would need to amplify something like a guitar, but isn't the output of soundcards and hardware samplers hot enough for the filter? And couldn't you go directly from the filter into the audio in of the soundcard? I have been considering a happy ending kit with modules for effects processing, but I would rather not use precious space for i/o modules if that is not absolutely neccesary.

boon 16th September 2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grain (Post 7036339)
Question: why are audio input and ouput modules needed? I understand that you would need to amplify something like a guitar, but isn't the output of soundcards and hardware samplers hot enough for the filter? And couldn't you go directly from the filter into the audio in of the soundcard? I have been considering a happy ending kit with modules for effects processing, but I would rather not use precious space for i/o modules if that is not absolutely neccesary.

i have gone directly from drum machines/synths into the modular via 1/4 to 1/8 patch panel without any issues. but back out of the modular i always go through a VCA for controlling the gain. i just use a ptch panel to go from 1/8 to 1/4

it's passive so does not require power which means you can stick it in a little box next to your case if needed. that's what i do so i don't lose any space in the case. but analogue systems modules don't have the screw holes center in the same way so you have to widen the holes with a file or drill bit. pretty easy to do. doesn't matter if you are DIYing a little box for it though. i just screwed mine into a little wooden box.

rs270 Adaptor Converter module - $105.00 : Big City Music, Vintage and New Music Equipment

http://bigcitymusic.com/images/1000181_l.jpg

breiflabb 16th September 2011 10:53 AM

If you just want to do filtering you could look into standalone hardware filters like Sherman, Mutator, Ebbe und Flut etc. Mutator is stereo.

robkramble 16th September 2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breiflabb (Post 7037281)
If you just want to do filtering you could look into standalone hardware filters like Sherman, Mutator, Ebbe und Flut etc. Mutator is stereo.

Filtering is admittedly the initial goal but I'm leaning towards a modular setup because down the road it offers a lot more possibilities and I can make it do things even the likes of a Mutator couldn't do.

robkramble 16th September 2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boon (Post 7036295)
buy 2 of the same module



the happy ending kit from tip top audio is under $200

a n a l o g u e h a v e n

THANK YOU

That kit looks perfect man, just what I needed and it's even cheaper than the Doepfer DIY kit. Awesome. kfhkh

Reptil 17th September 2011 12:50 AM

i/o transformer balanced:
Vermona TAI-4

I got this to ramp up the volume of some synths:
Circuit Abbey Gozinta

gainstaging and i/o will mean a step up in quality of your sound