Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Korg Mono /Poly prices (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/646514-korg-mono-poly-prices.html)

Teknobeam 8th September 2011 06:10 AM

Korg Mono /Poly prices

Is it just me , or have Korg Mono / Poly prices shot up dramatically lately. I was checking on Ebay and they are all well over $2000.00.

Westlaker 8th September 2011 06:15 AM

Yeah, that's WAY too much. Several months ago I bought one from Ko at Modeless Factory for $1200, and recently sold it on my local craigslist for that same price (found that I preferred Polysix for SSM tone); and now there's another one on my local craigslist for $1300. These seem like reasonable prices to me. It's a fantastic machine, but anything over $1500 seems seriously overvalued (which I base not on some abstract sense of value, but in comparison to other vintage analog monos).

Estin 8th September 2011 06:17 AM

i wish people buying vintage synths would **** off already. Driving the prices so high. The price inflation of synths is faster than gasoline and ammunition. At this rate i'll never be able to afford any of the oldies! $7K Jupiter 8 mezed $6K for an OBX??!?! hidz

oudplayer 8th September 2011 06:39 AM

They're a lot of fun...

but I'd never pay $2k for one!

Got mine for $65 from a thrift store in 1999, it wasn't working, I fixed it up, 11 years later it mostly works (a few scratchy pots), X-mod is not quite right, and random bouts of overheating). I'd pay $600 for one in really good shape.

tvsky 8th September 2011 09:29 AM

i paid 6 or 700 for one back in 99' . Ive still seen them go around the 1k mark recently .

they are probably worth that if you really like them . They make a great mono or a just ok poly . the 4 independant osc's sounds cooler than it is outside of some trippy arp sounds.

I used to just stack it all up for a big phat 4osc mono patch , its good for that . big bottom end , nice filter .

2k is just crazy

depulse 8th September 2011 01:24 PM

For that kind of money there are many other interesting alternatives.

I'd never pay more than 7-800 for a MonoPoly but then I'm not a huge fan of Korg synths.

Ned Bouhalassa 8th September 2011 01:39 PM

I paid 1200 for one last year and sold it for 1300 this year. Paying 2 grand is stupid at this point in time.

ilovesound 8th September 2011 02:31 PM

I have one for sale here in Toronto if you are looking for one.

Rob Ocelot 8th September 2011 03:44 PM

Mono/Poly prices have been a lot more volatile since word got out that you can actually fix a battery damaged Polysix. You couldn't give P6's away at one point and the M/P sat at around $500-700 depending on condition. Once the P6 fix came out there was a brief period where the P6's were fetching more than a pristine M/P -- crazy times.

$2000 for a Mono/Poly? Wishful thinking for someone as there's a few rotting on ebay at those prices. Same for the jokers asking $2500+ for MS-20's or $300 for the bloody MS-20 suitcase.

Unfortunately the speculators are starting to invade this hobby and ruin it for those who actually use these instruments (Imagine that!). When those a-holes leave synth prices will likely drop back down to reasonably affordable levels. Probably too late for anyone who wanted a Jupiter 8 or Matrix 12 though.

Pro5 8th September 2011 09:14 PM

There's only one or two korg synths I actually like, and I'm not that bothered by the Mono/Poly to pay THAT much for it. I too 'prefer' the Polysix if anyone's asking. :synth:

Don Solaris 8th September 2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknobeam (Post 7010517)
Is it just me , or have Korg Mono / Poly prices shot up dramatically lately. I was checking on Ebay and they are all well over $2000.00.

Nope. This is for how much the last unit was sold for:

Korg Mono/Poly | eBay

Acid Hazard 8th September 2011 10:30 PM

2.5 years ago, i had a bitch of a time selling mine for $700. Now they seem to go for double that. I'd rather spend that money on a Eurorack system. Or the new Leipzig S coming out soon =o]

mangobob 9th September 2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot (Post 7011573)
..there was a brief period where the P6's were fetching more than a pristine M/P -- crazy times.

You mean like 1981.. according to this video the Polysix retailed for around 65% more than the Mono/Poly.

'The Vintage Synth - Volume 3: Korg' (9/11) - YouTube

Rob Ocelot 9th September 2011 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangobob (Post 7013611)
You mean like 1981.. according to this video the Polysix retailed for around 65% more than the Mono/Poly.

'The Vintage Synth - Volume 3: Korg' (9/11) - YouTube

Wow. Actually, I didn't know that. I always thought they were ~ the same price back in the day.

On a related note, anyone know the relative price of the ProMars versus the Jupiter 4 back then?

Teknobeam 9th September 2011 07:34 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought...I paid $600.00 about four years ago for this one. It is in brand new condition. Actually in better shape than the one i had on the road for four years in the 80's. I am hanging on to this because it's very unique in many ways. It's not a mono really and it's not a poly either. It's all about the crazy combination of the arpeggiator, the FX, the LFO\s and the control over the oscillators. Would I trade it for a decent SH5? yes...tomorrow.

oudplayer 10th September 2011 01:52 AM

I think what's going on is that these service shops are trying to artificially drive up the prices by putting a ton of listings at way more than the device is worth. They're sitting on a stock of 30-50 synths they've fixed up, and they're willing to take a bit of a loss from ebay listing fees for the chance at doubling, tripling the "value" of the stock they're sitting on. After a few months of seeing these synths being "sold" for $2400 (which don't actually sell), some poor deluded soul will think they're getting a "bargain" on a mono/poly being listed for the price of $1800. Cha-ching, mono/polys are now "worth" $1800.

Off to make some drones with my $65 mono/poly...

gweto 10th September 2011 02:52 AM

The Mono/Poly always seemed like a toy to me with a weak sound. Space is better occupied with something else.

Teknobeam 10th September 2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gweto (Post 7016676)
The Mono/Poly always seemed like a toy to me with a weak sound. Space is better occupied with something else.

In the context of being a punchy lead mono synth, it does come across that way. But it comes to life and you also get some amazing modular type results when you animate it's features and they all come together in synergy. The trick is how do you harness that magic and use it productively. If you are looking for some instantly gratifying static sounds, you will probably not get there.

bluegreengold 10th September 2011 03:04 PM

The mono/poly is one of those synths that is full of hidden and subtle tricks. It also needs to be tweaked just right approached in a different fashion than a more instantly gratifying monosynth to make things really come alive. I once lent mine out to a friend, and he had for like 6 months and wasn't able to get his head around it, and he's a more than decent good programmer. It often seems like it just wants to do *its* thing.

Remember that more oscillators doesn't necessarily mean more sound. For bass duties, don't use more than 2 of them unless their synced. There is almost no situation where it is best to crank them all to 10.

It has more extensive CV input that most monos. You can do some wild patches with creative CV routing. Also, if you have a multi channel midi-cv -0- an encore expressionist for example is a perfect pair, it becomes an entirely different beast.

Sample it.

In many ways it is more experimental than an ms20. Just not for audio processing.

For $2000 I'd buy a modular. It was my first synth back in the day, and I got it for $450. The only easily available modulars at that time were the doepfer systems, and to get something comparable would cost 3-4x that amount, which is something a high school student with a part time job could only dream of. But even at the $1000 point, you can get something maybe a bit more powerful today. Vintage style is fun tho.

deep_disco 10th September 2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oudplayer (Post 7016543)
I think what's going on is that these service shops are trying to artificially drive up the prices by putting a ton of listings at way more than the device is worth. They're sitting on a stock of 30-50 synths they've fixed up, and they're willing to take a bit of a loss from ebay listing fees for the chance at doubling, tripling the "value" of the stock they're sitting on. After a few months of seeing these synths being "sold" for $2400 (which don't actually sell), some poor deluded soul will think they're getting a "bargain" on a mono/poly being listed for the price of $1800. Cha-ching, mono/polys are now "worth" $1800.

This man speaks the truth. eBay is possibly one of the biggest blessings and yet the biggest curse for us gearslutz. Sellers are trying to tap into this niche market that is getting more "trendy" and skimming the top end of the price spectrum for old synths. If a bunch of people on eBay raise their prices, the the rest of the market follows suit. Wham, bam, how did I just spend $1800 on 80's tech??? confoosed

AvS 11th September 2011 06:39 PM

I like my Mono/Poly. It doesnt have a very characteristic or dramatic sound wich i think is the reason that its not really considered a classic. I love its warm buzzing squarewaves. Btw anyone noticed that the portamento is always active? When the knob is all the way down you can still hear a very fast slide when jumping a few octaves up and down. Hate this.

Teknobeam 12th September 2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvS (Post 7021083)
I like my Mono/Poly. It doesnt have a very characteristic or dramatic sound wich i think is the reason that its not really considered a classic. I love its warm buzzing squarewaves. Btw anyone noticed that the portamento is always active? When the knob is all the way down you can still hear a very fast slide when jumping a few octaves up and down. Hate this.

Sounds like you have an issue with that pot. The portamento should be completely absent at the Zero value

Rooftree 12th September 2011 04:26 AM

A guy on my local CL is selling one for $900. I was tempted to buy it and flip it for a nice profit, but I already spent my spare cash buying a TR-606 from him a few days ago.

Don Solaris 12th September 2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooftree (Post 7022504)
A guy on my local CL is selling one for $900. I was tempted to buy it and flip it for a nice profit

confoosed

You are aware that the last MonoPoly on eBay was sold for $950, no?

seen-da-sizer 12th September 2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Solaris (Post 7022911)

Hey $50 is still a profit! boing ....Wait, $80 of my profit goes to ebay and paypal fees. :facepalm: hooppie heh heh

Rooftree 12th September 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Solaris (Post 7022911)
confoosed

I'm surprised to see that. I've casually kept an eye on mono poly prices over the past year and I had the impression that they were going for $1200 +. But it's good to see the price staying lower than that.

Ned Bouhalassa 12th September 2011 03:46 PM

*edited for repeat post*

terrible.dee 3rd July 2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvsky (Post 7010830)
i paid 6 or 700 for one back in 99' . Ive still seen them go around the 1k mark recently .

they are probably worth that if you really like them . They make a great mono or a just ok poly . the 4 independant osc's sounds cooler than it is outside of some trippy arp sounds.

I used to just stack it all up for a big phat 4osc mono patch , its good for that . big bottom end , nice filter .

2k is just crazy

This is the reality of The Akai Timber Wolf as well

Not a big inspiration to drop big bucks

I really don't think the Monopoly is intrinsically worth more than $400

terrible.dee 3rd July 2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oudplayer (Post 7016543)

All this time later and so few other people understand this.

flat 3rd July 2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrible.dee (Post 13400522)
All this time later and so few other people understand this.

....... but get the same synth and put a Roland logo on the back and suddenly its worth its price, given much more of a chance and seen in an entirely different positive light :lol: