Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Piracy discussions (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/piracy-discussions/)
-   -   Music sales up in 2011 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/piracy-discussions/646000-music-sales-up-2011-a.html)

terryhart 6th September 2011 05:41 PM

Music sales up in 2011

Quote:

Thanks to a surge in digital sales and strong catalog sales -- and possibly the shutdown of a major P2P network -- music sales have jumped in 2011. A recent NARM-sponsored webinar by Nielsen examined the sales spike and showed a number of causes at work.
Full story at The 2011 Music-Sales Boost, By The Numbers | Billboard.biz

Quote:

One factor behind the increase in track sales could be the shutting down of the LimeWire P2P service in late October of last year. The spike in sales was immediate, noticeable and lasting.

rack gear 6th September 2011 06:25 PM

and imagine what would happen to sales if we had effective measures against the rest!

AwwDeOhh 6th September 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rack gear (Post 7004994)
and imagine what would happen to sales if we had effective measures against the rest!

Exactly. Piracy is THE number 1 enemy to an artist trying to make a living. (and in turn, everyone else in the chain)
I can't wait until ALL the big "sharing" sites are brought down. Only then will we truely know what the market currently is. And maybe then we'll see some actual A&R/Artist development money start creeping back into the fold.
If you value GOOD music, say NO to piracy!

oldeanalogueguy 6th September 2011 10:49 PM

imagine the sales if they had music that all the people want to hear

chrisso 6th September 2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy (Post 7005852)

There's never been more choice and more easy ways to access varied music.

Don Hills 6th September 2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

You, as a creative person, don't really want that. The world would need only one band / artist.

rack gear 7th September 2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

there's a saying from my youth... if it's too loud, you're too old...

John Eppstein 8th September 2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Ain't no such animal. I know there's a lot of music that some people apparently love that I personally can't stand - Kenny G, Steely Dan, "soft rock" and "lite jazz" in general, Hip-hop, anything with ottotune on it....

Most fusion, a majority of prog, anything else that features gymnastic fingering exercises at the expense of emotional content......

But that's just me. People will buy nearly anything it seems - unless they can steal it easily.