Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/)
-   -   Sony DRE-S777 vs. Yamaha SREV1 vs. Altiverb (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/610080-sony-dre-s777-vs-yamaha-srev1-vs-altiverb.html)

Starstreet 10th May 2011 02:00 PM

Sony DRE-S777 vs. Yamaha SREV1 vs. Altiverb

19 Attachment(s)
Hardware convolution is not dead. It is underrated. There are only two available units, that exist: The Sony DRE-S777 and the Yamaha SREV1. For a short time, I have both units in my studio. Please listen to the examples I made for you.

I have recorded the dry files and the reverb tails. Try your own mix, import both files and let me know, what you prefer.

The voice was recorded with the following equipment:

Brauner VMA
Manley Slam => GML 2020
Motu HD192
Vovox cables

jimthepisces 10th May 2011 02:34 PM

I would say that the hardware wins, but not by a landslide.

Starstreet 13th May 2011 10:33 AM

Hardware is clearly better. The main advantage is, that Altiverb vanishes in the mix. In a dense mix you can still hear the hardware.

Robin Ball 20th May 2011 07:50 AM

Thanks for this Star, the hardware is clearly better! I'll take a REV1 and a DRE-777 thanks......diddlydoo

Starstreet 20th May 2011 07:42 PM

The DRE-S777 and the SREV1 have their own strength. The big halls of a DRE-S777 are unbeatable. I now have the complete 5 CD library. It is unbelievable!!

But the small rooms of the SREV1 are deeper than those in the DRE-S777. It seems to me, that the SREV1 is a perfect choice for drums. I love the "Epicurus studio" in the SREV1, it adds an extra punch to the sound.

ryansupak 2nd June 2011 05:03 AM

The hardware machines seem to add a different "color" to the sound, while the software seems more neutral. But I wonder if this is a product of the impulses, the converters, or other EQ/Modulation/etc... settings specific to each box.

Is it possible to use the *exact same impulse* on each device, and to more-or-less replicate the additional settings on each?

(I'm not asking OP to go off and do that -- just if it's possible to do so.)

rs

Voyage.One 15th September 2011 11:37 AM

I'm really digging the Gold Plate setting in my TC.

bee 18th September 2011 09:44 PM

Cool clips...now I want DRE-S777.kfhkh

laddie.music2 6th February 2012 10:05 AM

I'm confused, were the same impulses used?, I don't see why hardware would be better when it comes to convolution reverb...

If it were a algorithm I can see it, and yeah the way they implement the impulse for sure,

But load the 2 same impulses, personal I think this test might have been more about which impulses each liked better,

I agree the impulse I liked best was the Hardware, in any case.

My favorite software convo. is by far Spaces by East West,

Starstreet 10th February 2012 11:15 AM

East West Spaces is a nice plugin. But the impulse responses were recorded with a Sony DRE-S777. I already asked East West to sell the original files in DRE-S777 format, but they didn't want. I am sure, that the DRE-S777 files sound better than Spaces does. Spaces doesn't have the deepness of the DRE-S777 when it comes to mixing.
By the way, I really love to combine the 480L with the Sony. The Lexicon has the wideness and that special sound we all love . The Sony adds more deepness to the sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laddie.music2 (Post 7531548)
My favorite software convo. is by far Spaces by East West,

Casey 11th February 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laddie.music2 (Post 7531548)
I'm confused, were the same impulses used?, I don't see why hardware would be better when it comes to convolution reverb...

There is a very simple answer to this. The Sony 777 uses a different algorithm to calculate the convolution results.

The Sony uses massive DSP power to calculate the result in the time domain.

The software based convos first convert the audio into the frequency domain and then back again into the time domain in order to reduce the DSP requirements to make them practical to run on a Mac or PC.

While in theory these two methods can be made equivalent, it is quite possible that they are not, due to differing implemenations.

peachh

-Casey

didier.brest 12th February 2012 06:13 PM

Your dry file is voice + organ. The wet files are voice alone. Can we get the dry voice alone so that we can compete with plugins other than altiverb ?

Bigbang 4th April 2012 10:42 AM

I would like to know which converters were used with the Yamaha Srev-1 to make the samples.

I have two of these units and I first tried the Yamaha converters, then the Apogee AP8AD & AP8DA cards and I ended up using a Lucid 8824 with much better results. The reverbs were wider, deeper and clearer. A difference of night and day.

leaf studios 4th April 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starstreet (Post 6636435)
Hardware is clearly better. The main advantage is, that Altiverb vanishes in the mix. In a dense mix you can still hear the hardware.

yeah thats spot on , i found cubase reverance better or s.i.r myself.This thread makes me want that sony machine .

On the subject of convolution you have to check these out if you use impulses.

Kineticsoundprism esoteric impulses and synth patches

orco 8th June 2014 08:18 PM

I used to own a Dre with all the CD sampled spaces. I remember first hearing the unit and run everything through it. Hours of fun. The unit has such depth it was unreal. I would say more for acoustic, jazz, orchestral, rock, not so much EDM which I produce.
But after listening to those files makes me want it back again.
The plates on the Dre are killer too.
I took a look inside the unit once and remember components being wrapped in this type of protective plastic as you can use the unit in sub low temperatures for your location impulse recordings.
Wish I never sold that unit along with the Publison Infernal Machine 90 :( off to cry now

Lorenzop 3rd September 2016 11:58 AM

I am looking to buy either the Sony DRE-S777 or the Yamaha SREV-1 anybody got anything on sale?! PM!! :)

Romantique Tp 20th December 2017 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The REVerence reverb in Cubase and Nuendo uses the same impulse responses as the Yamaha SREV1, and guess what? They sound the same. Any difference is thanks to MP3 compression.

swissdoc 7th March 2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 7552595)
There is a very simple answer to this. The Sony 777 uses a different algorithm to calculate the convolution results.

The Sony uses massive DSP power to calculate the result in the time domain.

The software based convos first convert the audio into the frequency domain and then back again into the time domain in order to reduce the DSP requirements to make them practical to run on a Mac or PC.

While in theory these two methods can be made equivalent, it is quite possible that they are not, due to differing implemenations.

peachh

-Casey

I was wondering all the time, how Yamaha and Sony did it back then. Driven by the review of the Logidy EPSi I wrote for Amazona.de and conversation around it, I did some more intense research and found two references. One by a Sony guy and the other published by Yamaha. According to those, the Sony used frequency domain calculation while the Yamaha took the brute force time domain approach.

Yamaha Pro Audio | News | Micro Tutorial
http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/pd...ion_reverb.pdf

swissdoc 25th May 2019 09:24 PM

Just adding a new working link for the Sony referencs:
http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/PD...ion_Reverb.pdf