Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Slate FG-X bug/panning glitch (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/608638-slate-fg-x-bug-panning-glitch.html)

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording 5th May 2011 11:14 AM

Slate FG-X bug/panning glitch

Anyone else experiencing an issue with the Slate FG-X plug where upon playback, the audio passes starting panned to one side (for me, left) and then fades quickly back into both channels? It's as if the plug-in needs a half-second to take effect and it starts with the left channel first.

If I hit stop, and quickly hit play again, the channels are then balanced. But if I hit stop, then wait a second or 2 and start again it does the left to right thing. Like a compressor with slow envelope.

Kind of a pain in the ass if I want to 'bounce to disk' a mp3 mix (in PT 9 on a macpro) since it starts from a dead-stop. I need to leave a 1 or 2 second space at the front.

swaff 5th May 2011 11:37 AM

Yep, seems to be standard for most people. I am not sure if it's a bug or if they were trying to make it behave like an analog compressor that takes a split second to begin gain reduction. Either way, it's a detrimental feature/problem when you are switching back and forth between different tracks to compare tone, volume, etc as you don't hear an instant A/B.

It's been a while since any updates have been made to FG-X, and it doesn't look like there is big hurry on fixing the bugs within it, or make it less cpu hungry.

Swaff

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording 5th May 2011 01:37 PM

Well this is quite a bug then. Slate, what say you?

Steven Slate 6th May 2011 12:00 AM

its a bug. we're fixing it along with a few other things that have been reported.thumbsup

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording 6th May 2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slate Press (Post 6613094)
its a bug. we're fixing it along with a few other things that have been reported.thumbsup

Appreciate the response. So this not updated in 1.1.2? I havent done that update yet.

swaff 6th May 2011 04:17 AM

Na, it's not fixed in the latest version. Looking forward to the update.

Swaff

Jimmy B 20th September 2012 03:26 AM

This is still happening, and it was claimed to have been fixed in the summer of 2011...what happened?

It happens when you export the files out of Presonus Studio One.

Annoying...

jaydeluca 20th September 2012 03:30 AM

still happens here too

Iglesias 26th January 2013 10:10 AM

Still happening here as well!
Please update finally!

Tui 26th January 2013 09:41 PM

Still happens here, too. Weirdest bug ever.

VWYF11 26th January 2013 11:49 PM

yeah still there along with the fade in bug that's been there from day one.

Drywsef 27th January 2013 02:02 AM

There's also a bug that cases fg comp to apply sporadic bursts of gain reduction when using it as a mixbuss comp. anyone experience this? Slate support couldn't replicate the issue.

Lenzo 27th January 2013 03:40 AM

I get it as well on some bounces...funny thing is it's not consistent here. Might be linked to certain presets...not sure.
L.

mitgong 27th January 2013 03:52 AM

Me too!

I'm glad (well, you know, not really) that I'm not the only one experiencing this, and that Slate knows about it. I can't use it to master at this point. I'd like to.

popmann 27th January 2013 05:11 AM

Man, I'm glad I'm on Windows. I never thought I'd say that...never seen such behavior.

Drywsef 27th January 2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popmann (Post 8682058)
Man, I'm glad I'm on Windows. I never thought I'd say that...never seen such behavior.

I am on windows too. RTAS. The weird compressor behavior tends to occur more at faster attack/slower release times. I get the fade and pan issues too.

Hyder boy 27th January 2013 07:02 AM

Works great here.

knifetheglitter 27th January 2013 07:09 AM

I think I had this happen recently as well. Why is this not fixed?

Sent from my SCH-I535

knifetheglitter 24th March 2013 09:40 PM

just happened again at the start of a new track. made inactive and then reactive in PT and i got one good pass. after that one it faded in again. Great plugin, but a bug that hasnt been ironed out in 2 years looks like it wont get fixed. what a joke. contacted slate support and lets see what they say.

7+1 24th March 2013 10:42 PM

I've abandoned it a while ago for this reason. It's quite sad that we are asked to work around it..

This bug is a pain. And that's a fact.

No more slate purchases.. Not really interested after wasting money on this plugin.

Sad really. And I've said it before..

gogar 25th March 2013 02:07 AM

YES, I thought I was the only one for quite a while.

I will say that I think it only happens to me when I "bounce to disk." I don't think it happens when I just use it as a live plug. So If I want to use it I have to print it to a fresh track.

Please help, Steven! kfhkh

goshalev 25th March 2013 07:31 AM

Still happening here as well!
Tested on x64 Vst

jac 25th March 2013 10:13 AM

Same here. It makes the plugin unusable exept for fast reference mixes for clients, but for the final work still has to use another limiter (voxengo or fab filter). I hope they will get rid of the issue because this plugin sounds really good to my ears!

Drywsef 28th April 2013 06:24 PM

Happening a lot here. Eventually, the fade disappears by fluke, but this issue delays bouncing masters quite a bit! It really only happens consistently during bounces.

crying1986 13th May 2013 02:07 AM

I just bought FG-X and am experiencing the what I think you guys are referring to. When I start playback, it takes a second or so to "fade in"...is there a work around besides adding some noise for a few seconds at the beginning of the track and then deleting it after the print?

This is a pretty lame problem for such a promising plugin.

dirtboy 13th May 2013 03:04 AM

This bug consistently messes up my workflow so much that I (and many others) have stopped using it due to the unpredictable results you get when bouncing mixes down. Slate dropped the ball on this two years ago instead concentrating on other revenue streams. Terrible support, really. Would you really buy an expensive piece of hardware from this company? Not a wise decision IMHO.

work2do 13th May 2013 05:30 AM

I use this just about every day since it's release and never had this issue. Sounds like something that needs to be fixed.

alteredtensions 13th May 2013 05:33 AM

I've had this issue when using "bounce" in pro tools, but if I record direct to a track, never.

crying1986 13th May 2013 01:56 PM

This is a bummer.

Brian R 13th May 2013 03:07 PM

Just keeping the thread alive. I love FG-X and would love it more if the bug were fixed.

Bump.