Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   MWL/Neumann bv-30a (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/605255-mwl-neumann-bv-30a.html)

salomonander 24th April 2011 02:02 PM

MWL/Neumann bv-30a
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hey
i just scored this little puppy for a ridicolous low price. im looking for schematics and any additional info. i know its made by MWL and is basically a late version of the CMV3. I actually found lots of sources saying, that this was made by neumann and rebranded for MWL. any info here would be cool as well. it uses a hiller tube now which im planing to replace with an ac701, add an m7 bajonett capsule and end up with almost a m49? i could surely use a second one!

ps...the thing im wondering about most is the power supply. i know it was actually in the CMV3s main body..which was a problem. anyone know how it was done ono this mic?

ps...Andreas from Idee und Klang...can you chime in? i know you use one as well.

Attachment 231842

Attachment 231843

Attachment 231844

Attachment 231845

idee und klang 27th November 2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salomonander (Post 6576642)

ps...Andreas from Idee und Klang...can you chime in? i know you use one as well.

Hi, there is no Andreas at Idee und Klang did you mean me?... yes I have one, it had the original hiller tube, but Andreas Grosser will replace the tube (broken and noisy). I have the information that it is very similar to a neumann bottle mic (more similar to a CMV5 than a CMV3 I guess). After the second world war MWL wanted to go on with the developpment of bottle mics (in collaboration with neumann) and equipped them with great parts (i.e. this relative expensive hiller tube, that neumann also took by their first m49 but soon replaced them with the 701). Other than that it uses the same techologie as neumann and also the same capsules (and probably used the same powersupplies). I don't know who manufactured them (Neumann or MWL). For any further info technically I suggest to contact andreas grosser, who knows everything about the technics of old neumann tube mics. For sure: when Andreas has gone over it it will sound as good as all other Bottler mic's. The secret will be the trafo from my point of view. I have several bottle mics and an old CMV3 with the original trafo and original tube sounds best. A CMV5 was thin in comparision with it (I will replace the trafo and see then again. My MWL and CMV5 is still waiting for those purposes at Andreas Place (it takes very long sometimes;.)

Better to PM me for questions, as I do not follow GS on a regular base. Found this post per hasard.
Best Regards
Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com

mig27 4th December 2014 12:35 PM

Another B-V30a owner here.
Mine was restaured by Peter Drefahl.
The Hiller MSC2 tube was noisy, he replaced it with an EF732.

Here's a really bad scan of the "Braunbuch" dated 3/1/1950 and some gut shots.


EDIT

Sorry, had to remove the files because of a copyright claim.

mig27 4th December 2014 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As you see the B-V30a came with both torpedo head capsules as well as the ELA Mz026 lollipop variant.
Mine has an M7:

idee und klang 12th May 2015 09:59 PM

Mine came back from Grosser lately and it is a really nice mic, absolutely in the same leage like a good CMV3 or 5. Great on Bassdrum, Sax and all kind of amps.
Cheers
Daniel
idee und klang

knobexploit 21st June 2015 12:47 PM

I recently finished a complete overhaul on MWL RADIO MV-750, a recording has been made with it:

https://soundcloud.com/ernst-hill/3s...z-cmv3-fullmix

A took it t a local capable mic tech who did the complete overhaul, maybe he can help you out.

You can see a full set of pics here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...c-capsule.html

gyraf 21st June 2015 02:32 PM

Who claims copyright on BraunBuch scans??

Jakob E.

mig27 21st June 2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyraf (Post 11134779)
Who claims copyright on BraunBuch scans??

Jakob E.

No idea, but me too I got a PM from someone threatening me with legal consequences if I don't pull the Braunbuch scans re. MWL I had posted here in this very thread.

WTF - so I removed my pics..

knobexploit 21st June 2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mig27 (Post 11134785)
No idea, but me too I got a PM from someone threatening me with legal consequences if I don't pull the Braunbuch scans re. MWL I had posted here in this very thread.

WTF - so I removed my pics..

Sounds like hot air to me.

gyraf 22nd June 2015 08:03 AM

Any chance of getting that info emailed, if you come by it?

Edit: thanks!

Jakob E.

Schiwo 8th January 2017 05:33 PM

MWL Mics
 
Hi,
these Mics are built by MWL "Mechanischen Werkstätten Lensahn" in the years
1947 and 1948. The founder of MWL was Hans-Karl von Willisen. This man
established a few years later the famous TAB Company and designed the holy
V76!! Now you can imagine the quality of this mic;)
Very important: It is the only West-German post war Bottle Mic with highest
quality standards! It uses a completely new tube design with full frequency
response. A CMV3 is very limited here, also in the Studio;)
The BV-30a is based on a Hiller MSC2 and Telefunken AC701 just like the M49.
I´ve made a pic of the Info from the "Braunbuch". It shows the BV-30a and the
M49. The description under it says: "The old and the new Condensermicrophone"

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/qaxhexh7_jpg.htm]

The BV-30a is the direct precursor of the M49!
At that time german Broadcast wanted smaller Microphone-versions and not
that kind of monster, especially the TV-Broadcast. So, they designed a miniature
Version: the M49. - ...and the BV-30a is the "Big Mother"
The BV-30a comes original with a B-M15 Capsule. You can turn the capsule to
change the characteristic. A Masterpiece! ...never seen that before.

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/v69bwncs_jpg.htm]

It sounds a little different to a M7, but very good!
Of course you can also use a M7...
The Transformer is a real Monster! Also, I´ve never seen this dimension in a
microphone... (maybe CMV3;)
Because of the short period of production, they made just a few of these
Microphones. Not more than 500. After war, material for this kind of production
was very rare. Just like other AC701-Mics you need a Neumann N52 Power Supply.
If you are an owner of one of this Microphones you were very lucky!
This is one of best and rarest Mics ever made!!!
It beats my U47 most of the time. jummpp
Best through a V76 bumpkin

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/swp7ssuw_jpg.htm]



@ salomonander
ps...the thing im wondering about most is the power supply. i know it was actually in the CMV3s main body..which was a problem. anyone know how it was done ono this mic?

-You mean RFT CM7151. Its the only Bottlemic with internal power-supply.
Looks nice, but inside its crap!



Some Information about Hans-Karl von Willisen (TAB / MWL)
http://www.funkstunde.com/de/technik...nographie.html

cheers, Daniel
@ stereolab s

Ted Krotkiewski 28th October 2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schiwo (Post 12361752)
Hi,
these Mics are built by MWL "Mechanischen Werkstätten Lensahn" in the years
1947 and 1948. The founder of MWL was Hans-Karl von Willisen. This man
established a few years later the famous TAB Company and designed the holy
V76!! Now you can imagine the quality of this mic;)
Very important: It is the only West-German post war Bottle Mic with highest
quality standards! It uses a completely new tube design with full frequency
response. A CMV3 is very limited here, also in the Studio;)
The BV-30a is based on a Hiller MSC2 and Telefunken AC701 just like the M49.
I´ve made a pic of the Info from the "Braunbuch". It shows the BV-30a and the
M49. The description under it says: "The old and the new Condensermicrophone"

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/qaxhexh7_jpg.htm]

The BV-30a is the direct precursor of the M49!
At that time german Broadcast wanted smaller Microphone-versions and not
that kind of monster, especially the TV-Broadcast. So, they designed a miniature
Version: the M49. - ...and the BV-30a is the "Big Mother"
The BV-30a comes original with a B-M15 Capsule. You can turn the capsule to
change the characteristic. A Masterpiece! ...never seen that before.

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/v69bwncs_jpg.htm]

It sounds a little different to a M7, but very good!
Of course you can also use a M7...
The Transformer is a real Monster! Also, I´ve never seen this dimension in a
microphone... (maybe CMV3;)
Because of the short period of production, they made just a few of these
Microphones. Not more than 500. After war, material for this kind of production
was very rare. Just like other AC701-Mics you need a Neumann N52 Power Supply.
If you are an owner of one of this Microphones you were very lucky!
This is one of best and rarest Mics ever made!!!
It beats my U47 most of the time. jummpp
Best through a V76 bumpkin

[URL=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4594/swp7ssuw_jpg.htm]

@ stereolab s

Excellent info Schiwo!
To resurrect an old thread.

I just bought a MAIHAK BV-30 bottle mic. THIS ONE!
My happy trigger finger and late night brain impulses going: -Just do it, you had a ruff week, you deserve it, Do it! BUY IT!! Made me buy something I actually have very little knowledge of and have never heard other than the wonderfull sounding soundcloud link in the ad. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

your post above makes me wonder if this might share the same innards/design as the MWL BV-30 you are referring to being the precursor of the M49?
Any knowledge about this?

Judging from the soundcloud link and comparing that sound to a CMV563+M7 it has such a smooth silky non sibiliant but still clear top end and a thick mid that IMO a CMV563 could never acheive. In my mind this do sound close to how I imagine a M49 sounds. (I have only played with Flea 49)

Cmmon! Just give me some nice words and say that I bought something incredible so I can go on with my life... :lol:

Thank you for your time!
freshflowe

Schiwo 28th October 2018 07:55 PM

Yes, you bought something incredible! bumpkin
And it is a MWL BV-30a, not Maihak.
If it runs with a AC761 Tube, you can upgrade with a AC701.
If you use it with a M7, you got something similar to a M49 (or better)!
You will have fun with it! rockout
best regards,
Schiwo

Ted Krotkiewski 29th October 2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schiwo (Post 13597779)
Yes, you bought something incredible! bumpkin
And it is a MWL BV-30a, not Maihak.
If it runs with a AC761 Tube, you can upgrade with a AC701.
If you use it with a M7, you got something similar to a M49 (or better)!
You will have fun with it! rockout
best regards,
Schiwo

Yayyy!
Exactly what I wanted to hear. yesss. :lol:

Now I can get on with my life...
My best. freshflowe

idee und klang 1st November 2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Krotkiewski (Post 13600021)
Yayyy!
Exactly what I wanted to hear. yesss. :lol:

Now I can get on with my life...
My best. freshflowe

Yes a great thing that you bought! Having most tube-Bottle Mics the MWL BV-30a is clearly one of the best and imo. much nicer than most versions of the CMV5. The CMV3 is as great but has more noise. The MWL BV30A IS A FANTASTIC MIC.

Cheers,
Daniel