Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   SW Sonic Couture Ondes Martenot (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/589061-sonic-couture-ondes-martenot.html)

Silver Sonya 7th March 2011 01:22 AM

Sonic Couture Ondes Martenot

Released in the next week or so.

Exciting times.

- c

Solar 7th March 2011 05:33 AM

Simply amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!! Who else can bring us such amazing, unique libraries then Sonic Couture? I mean these guys deserve every penny and daaaaaaaaaaam you can hear the Time spend into their Quality Sonic Captured Sound Lib.

Thanx for sharing :)

suicidebomber 7th March 2011 08:29 AM

wow, they sampled the ring slider... there must be tons of samples. I play the theremin, so I don't know how much use I would have for it.

farjedi 7th March 2011 07:41 PM

Wish more libraries were like this..Sounds great..Can you imagine an app for an ipad to control the ring slider! I might have to get an ipad for that :)

Steab 10th March 2011 04:06 AM

O my god, finally.

The Beatsmith 10th March 2011 04:13 AM

SonicCouture are simply the best at what they do. This one will be exciting thumbsup

frankymax 10th March 2011 08:20 AM

I just saw this instrument live with the Los Angeles Philharmonic performing a Messiaen piece (a few months back) and it sounded AMAZING!! Can't wait to hear the sampled version.

Silver Sonya 21st March 2011 02:59 PM

It's here.

- c

scepstral 21st March 2011 03:47 PM

Yes. The pyramid song demo isn't too bad.

The Beatsmith 22nd March 2011 01:42 AM

anyone made the jump yet? demo's sound brilliant

tomlee 22nd March 2011 02:42 AM

sounds great.

Eskimo Brain 22nd March 2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scepstral (Post 6457808)
Yes. The pyramid song demo isn't too bad.

The Ravel quartet on the other hand... mezed

Silver Sonya 23rd March 2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo Brain (Post 6462300)
The Ravel quartet on the other hand...

...sounds even better!

- c

vibralux 23rd March 2011 10:38 AM

Thats a lot better than I expected. Def worth a try especially that its not that expensive

tomlee 23rd March 2011 06:06 PM

i wonder how the ring controller is controlled, though it would seem to be an obvious answer, it would seem that you can (on the real instrument) use both the keys and the ring controller together. diddlydoo

Dudley 24th March 2011 07:38 PM

reading their web page, it says that on the original you use either the ring or the keyboard, but not both at the same time.

Kaigen 25th March 2011 01:27 AM

I'll buy this.

edit machine 11th April 2011 04:04 AM

I bought this and it sounds great, but the polyphonic patches overload my system after about 4 chords played in a row.

My system is well over the requirements: I'm running Kontakt 4.2.2.4504 in Ableton Live 8.2.2 on an Intel Mac Laptop (2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo w 4 gb of RAM, OS X 10.6.2).
The company lists the requirements as: OS X 10.5 or higher, IntelĀ® Core™ Duo 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

Anybody else have this issue with the Ondes?

The Beatsmith 11th April 2011 05:17 AM

What buffer size are you running? Kontakt doesn't really like low buffers. Try 128 or preferably 256.

Also, pull the polyphony number down and that should sort you out.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

bensaddiction 8th May 2011 08:18 AM

wow....

... that is impressive, the sound is gorgeous in those examples. I didn't think this was going to work itb, midi doesn't really understand an instrument who's main charm is the fact that you are supposed to get between the notes rather than stay in tune all the time.

I've just downloaded the pdfs on the website and it looks like they have a really good control system to translate playing an instrument like an ondes with normal midi gear, with heaps of setup options from automatic glide,vibrato & ADSR through to more realistic control parameters, nice!

Definately going to have to buy it.

XILS 3 (EMS synthi emulation) and this would make an obvious perfect match, and fake some real analog irregularities itb. Maybe make you want to lock yourself in the dark for several days making 1970s art-house horror music

2busdriver 8th May 2011 08:37 AM

Ben, as an aside S.C. has a sponsored forum at KVR with some discussion on controlling Ondes and how they accomplish glissando via midi, etc. I'm guessing G.S. would be okay with me posting this link if you wanted to share your discoveries over there as well.
KVR: Forum - Soniccouture

Dudley 23rd June 2011 09:06 PM

big Ondes review in Sound On Sound :

Product Review - Soniccouture Ondes

Silver Sonya 24th June 2011 05:22 PM

You can't read it unless you're a subscriber. That's their business model.

- c

chet.d 21st June 2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Beatsmith (Post 6529243)
What buffer size are you running? Kontakt doesn't really like low buffers. Try 128 or preferably 256.

Also, pull the polyphony number down and that should sort you out.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Any current impressions on the ondes K4 performance and sonically in general? Any sample based alternatives lately?
I've been tempted by this one before but now w/ a little sale going on...

weirdfishee 6th July 2012 02:23 PM

chet, did you indulge and pick up the Ondes? I took the plunge myself and splashed out. So much love for the Sonic Couture boys, really amazing stuff. I've not really had time to play with the ondes yet (too busy playing with their new Rhodes I picked up at the same time!), but hopefully will find time later this month to get my head round it. What are you guys all using to control it? I'm considering hooking up the Kaoss Pad 3 as an X and Y pad but was just wondering if anyone had come up with any other cool alternatives for sliding up and down notes other than regular midi keyboard. I had come across the Vmeter on another thread - sorta USB Ribbon controller. Has anyone used something like this to control the ondes? Any other alternatives you guys are using?

matyas 3rd April 2013 07:25 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post that I finally bought this. So here's a (very preliminary) mini-review for the curious:

First, I should say that I actually have some experience with a real ondes Martenot. Although I do not own a real ondes myself, I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to study with a renowned player of the instrument. One thing should be born in mind: although the ondes Martenot is an electronic instrument, it has a very unique playing technique, performance practice, and even pedagogical tradition. Some conservatories in France (and formerly a few in Canada) actually offer degrees in ondes Martenot performance, and the tradition of ondes Martenot playing is actually closely related to classical string playing. Therefore, emulating an ondes Martenot is not as easy as emulating, say, an analog synthesizer. (Not the emulating an analog synth is trivial. If it were, I would have no need for my Moog.) Think of this virtual instrument as more along the lines of an orchestral instrument library.

Having gotten that out of the way, I can say that the virtual instrument sounds great. It is capable of sounding reasonably close to the real thing. How close? About as close as a good sample of a violin sounds to a real violin. In other words, close enough to give the flavor of the instrument, and close enough to be musically useful. However, it can produce a lot of sounds that do not really correspond to the real ondes Martenot, and these capabilities be the most interesting and sonically useful part of the instrument. The varied tonalities this virtual instrument can produce will be a welcome departure from the usual virtual analog synth sounds, and they can be used for many of the same functions.

The most challenging aspect of emulating the ondes, of course, is the interface, as I alluded to above. The real ondes Martenot is arguably the most expressive electronic instrument ever invented. (I will not summarize the components of the ondes Martenot here; that information is available elsewhere.) The button goes from inaudible to deafening, and from staccattissimo to molto legato. Swells and fades of all kinds are extremely idiomatic. The ribbon, is, of course, the most widely-discussed aspect of the instrument, but the swiveling keyboard, which allows for pitch bends and vibrato on the keys, is at least as integral to the playing technique of the ondes Martenot. SonicCouture have a number of recommendations for strategies to emulate the playing technique of the ondes Martenot. Unfortunately for me, most of them require something more expressive than the Oxygen8 I used to try the instrument. I did not experiment with mapping the controller knobs of the Oxygen8 to the parameters of the VI, but that is certainly a possibility. I also plan on trying out a keyboard with aftertouch.

In closing, this is a beautiful-sounding and extremely musical virtual reproduction of a fascinating instrument. I have often thought that the ondes Martenot should be thought of as an electric, rather than an electronic instrument, occupying the same conceptual space as the electric guitar, Rhodes piano, and Hammond organ. Like these (more familiar) instruments, the ondes Martenot uses electricity to produce sound, but there is a direct, physical connection between the player and the instrument. No virtual instrument will be able to replicate that connection, but that does not prevent SonicCouture's Ondes from being a useful and expressive tool for creating music in the digital domain.

soniccouture 16th June 2013 10:20 PM

Nice review, thank you!

James
Soniccouture

matyas 19th June 2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniccouture (Post 9140305)
Nice review, thank you!

James
Soniccouture

Thank you for putting out such a great sample library!

chet.d 19th June 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matyas (Post 9149869)
Thank you for putting out such a great sample library!

Agree & wonderful review.

As you noted, interfacing w/ it's expression potential is a challenge.
It remains mostly elusive to me.

If anyone has any tips re; this please chime in. Would be very helpful.

matyas 20th June 2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet.d (Post 9149979)
Agree & wonderful review.

As you noted, interfacing w/ it's expression potential is a challenge.
It remains mostly elusive to me.

If anyone has any tips re; this please chime in. Would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Yes, that is indeed the biggest challenge. Really, that's the amazing thing about the real ondes Martenot. It's such an expressive instrument.
I wish I had some more tips about that. I don't own any devices with a ribbon controller or continuous touchpad. I still haven't tried a keyboard with aftertouch, although that would probably be a big improvement. There probably isn't a good substitute out there for the swiveling keyboard. (It's a lot more musical than a pitchbend wheel, but it's actually kind of hard to get used to.)