Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Buying a new MXL mic... need updated info (not on budget thread). Mogami? V67G mod? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/564866-buying-new-mxl-mic-need-updated-info-not-budget-thread-mogami-v67g-mod.html)

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 02:31 AM

Buying a new MXL mic... need updated info (not on budget thread). Mogami? V67G mod?

There's almost too much information here but very little on the MXL V69ME or MXL V69XM.

This is mostly for male vocals (and just a little bit for a Martin Acoustic, but not too much)... lower register baritone range. Need something with a bit of a growl or punch at times other times sort of Nick Cave like... the music sort of progressive Marillion like

Going to be going through the Golden Age mic pre...

I know that most people have been modding the V67G but it may be sometime before I can get that done.

Is the new MXL V69 with the "mogami" like a modded mic?

I don't know whether to go MXL V69XM, V69ME or V67G and that will suffice for now... or really what these differences really are

Also how do these compare to the "Blue" mics like the bottle or new "Spark" or the blue bird?

Also how do these compare to Avant's CV-12.

I would like the best bang for my buck. I've heard that I could spend all I want on these "better mics" and in many ways the MXL V67G straight out of the box is great even before the mod.

Can somebody help me sort through all of the data? I need to spend as little as possible to achieve pro results, as the Golden Age Mic Pre is $300 and I don't have much left, but if I have to spend the bigger bucks I will.

Oh and recording through m-audio fast track pro and into Cubase 5

Eric

BigIzzy 29th December 2010 05:18 AM

Hey bud!

I have some info for you about some of the MXL mics. The MXL V69 Mogami Edition is NOT a modded mic, MXL just uses the "Mogami Edition" to talk about the Mogami connectors they use on the inside.

The V69ME is a GREAT mic from what I've heard (I've heard some sound-tests online, it sounds very natural). A lot of users replace the tube on the inside of it with vintage tubes (such as an OldStock Mullard, or a Tellefunken). This is supposed to DRASTICALLY improve the tone of the mic (not because it's neccessarily a poor mic, but because the tubes they put into it are cheap. Replacing them with nicer tubes will give it a more "vintage" tone).

Not sure if it would mesh well with your vocals, though. I read a review online where the reviewer said it sounded GREAT on female vocals, but it depended on the male voice. I would try one out, the V69ME is a GREAT mic for the price, and if it fits your voice, then I'd say go for it!

Here's a youtube video of a kid with a baritone-voice singing through a V69ME. This might give you an idea what the sound is like (not sure if the tube is switched out on this one, but just assume it's stock).

YouTube - Fly me to the moon Karaoke.

Here's another video of a baritone-singer singing through a V69.

YouTube - She Gives You Love

The V69ME "XM" is basically a V69ME with an added transformer--this is really the only MAJOR difference (besides the fact that it looks a bit different. Same mic, with an added transformer).

Both mics are on a HEAVY sale on musiciansfriend.com, you can pick up the stock V69ME for $219, and the XM version for $299 ($100 off). That's a steal!

I don't know much about the other mics you've listed.

Hope this helps! :)

~Big Izzy

BigIzzy 29th December 2010 05:22 AM

Hey, just to add something else. You asked if it compares to the Bluebird.

The bluebird is a great mic from what I've heard. I've heard that the tone is GREAT, and that, for the price, it's an awesome mic! I would say it's comparable to the V69 for sure, just a different type of mic (the V69 is tube while the Bluebird is not).

The only negative thing I've heard about the BlueBird is that it tends to have a sweet-spot that requires you to get pretty-close to the mic. If you're not close enough, the mic will tend to not pick up lower frequencies. I'm not sure to what extent this is true, I only read about it on a review in a magazine. This shouldn't be a problem if you're recording vocals.

Both are great mics, though. I was about to pick up a BlueBird the other week (but I decided to be content with the mic I'm currently using), and the V69 is one I've been keeping I'd recommend that you try them out before you buy them (and test them out on your voice).

doulos24 29th December 2010 05:51 AM

mxl v69m is a bright mic its ok but has a huge 8- 10k peak the second one has the transformer and smoothes out that curve go with the second one the v69 is kind of a meh mic i know i own one

Fast Frets 29th December 2010 06:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
According to Recordinghacks.com, there are other component changes in addition to the transformer in the V69XE. The frequency response plots for the two mics are different as well. The first image is the V69ME and the second is the V69XM:

mista min 29th December 2010 09:05 AM

If I can use my knowledge of tube mic design to assist you, this is what I'll say.

The MXL V69 ME has a FET applifier with a tube balanced output circuit. It is a "bright" mic because it has a pressence peak in the 8-10 k range that is about 4 db more then a "typical" vocal mic... That said some sources sound really good on it... I bought one and swapped out the tube, but my friend bought it off me because well I needed the money :p

The MXL V69 XM (if I'm not mistaken, I've never seen the insides of this mic, but this how it usually goes with mics) has a tube driven amplifier with a transformer balanced output. It does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

The MXL V67G has a FET driven amplifier with a tranformer balanced output. And also does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

Now the V67G has been called a good mic, but cheap sounding. I would recommend a completely different mic... The MXL 2003a.

The 2003a has a FET driven amplifier and a tranformerless (circuite balanced) output, but it uses higher quality components and has a very good sound.

Now with the transformer balanced mics some will say you will have more "mojo" because of the iron, but from my understanding that's part of the cheaper sound in some of these mics because of the smaller size of the transformers.

So, if you wanna know what I think you should get... Well, I'd say the MXL 2003a. Do a search on it... You have thread 10 pages long on it alone.

Also, search the Stellar CM-6... Another great option.

Peace,
Min

doulos24 29th December 2010 10:14 AM

and im going to recomend the mxl 960 which is a great mic

BudgetMC 29th December 2010 03:43 PM

The V67g is a distinctly un-sucky mic. They're going for $87 right now at MF, too. That's a deal (and it comes with a cheapo mic stand)

The MXL 960 is actually quite good. I've got one modded with a Peluso Capsule, but it sounded pretty darn good before the swap. BTW, this mic really responds to a tube swap. The Mullard 4024 is my fav. tube for this mic. It's going for $199 now, but with a free DR Mic Stand, which is quite a decent stand.

There has been a lot of buzz about the 2003a as of late. The various clips that have been posted sound very good. Three good choices of inexpensive mics that will serve you well here!

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 06:31 PM

How did I know that if I posted this on here, that I would get such great responses from everyone?

This is great and I thank all of you.

So here is my last question...

Since budgetmc and mista min are saying that the V67G is so good for that price (89 bucks) and that they also think that the 2003A is so superior to most mics out there and i see that MA has it for 169!!... should I just spend the 250 and get both?

I was going to spend 219 on the 69 mogami, if these mics are so great ... maybe I should get both of them (i can always mod up on the 67g later)...

or... is there something now in the 250 range that blows them both away?

like the CAD m9
Buy CAD M9 Tube Large Diaphragm Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

I noticed someone had wonderful things to say about this mic.

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 07:05 PM

Sorry if this is redundant, but my last reply didn't show up...

BudgetMC and Mista Min have got me convinced that both the 2003A and the V67G are must haves...

Looking at Musician's Exchange, I could actually buy both of them and stay within my 250 dollar budget and I think i'll do that. (I was going to spend 219 on the V69 mogami but I think there are enough people who feel that the 2003A and even the V67G are as good and far better bang for the buck)

My only question now is... for 250 bucks... am I getting the best bang for my buck with these 2 mics or should I go with something like the Cad M9 which someone was raving about on here, which is also on sale at ma

Buy CAD M9 Tube Large Diaphragm Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudgetMC (Post 6159240)
The V67g is a distinctly un-sucky mic. They're going for $87 right now at MF, too. That's a deal (and it comes with a cheapo mic stand)

The MXL 960 is actually quite good. I've got one modded with a Peluso Capsule, but it sounded pretty darn good before the swap. BTW, this mic really responds to a tube swap. The Mullard 4024 is my fav. tube for this mic. It's going for $199 now, but with a free DR Mic Stand, which is quite a decent stand.

There has been a lot of buzz about the 2003a as of late. The various clips that have been posted sound very good. Three good choices of inexpensive mics that will serve you well here!

For some reason this website isn't working correctly... this is the 3rd reply i've made and none of them have taken... i'm hoping thing one will.

I may have to do this one line at a time. I've now made 6 posts and there is nothing appearing over the past 2 hours. If the moderator has to approve it, where the hell is the moderator?

Okay... for the 6th time now...

Min (and Budget MC) have me about convinced about the 2003A. At 149 bucks at B&H and the V67G at only 89 bucks... I may consider getting both mics.

That would still only come to 238 which is only 10 bucks more than I was going to spend on the Mogami V69.

But... what about the Cad M9? that's only 269... and i've heard great things. Should I get two mics for the price of one, or is the Cad M9 that much better than the MXL's?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=270771

In other words... for $250 bucks what is the best thing I can possibly buy for the money?

You have all been so incredibly helpful. i knew if I posted this stuff here... izzy and fast frets and budget MC and doulos and of course Min... would come to my rescue.

Thanks guys!

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mista min (Post 6158556)
If I can use my knowledge of tube mic design to assist you, this is what I'll say.

The MXL V69 ME has a FET applifier with a tube balanced output circuit. It is a "bright" mic because it has a pressence peak in the 8-10 k range that is about 4 db more then a "typical" vocal mic... That said some sources sound really good on it... I bought one and swapped out the tube, but my friend bought it off me because well I needed the money :p

The MXL V69 XM (if I'm not mistaken, I've never seen the insides of this mic, but this how it usually goes with mics) has a tube driven amplifier with a transformer balanced output. It does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

The MXL V67G has a FET driven amplifier with a tranformer balanced output. And also does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

Now the V67G has been called a good mic, but cheap sounding. I would recommend a completely different mic... The MXL 2003a.

The 2003a has a FET driven amplifier and a tranformerless (circuite balanced) output, but it uses higher quality components and has a very good sound.

Now with the transformer balanced mics some will say you will have more "mojo" because of the iron, but from my understanding that's part of the cheaper sound in some of these mics because of the smaller size of the transformers.

So, if you wanna know what I think you should get... Well, I'd say the MXL 2003a. Do a search on it... You have thread 10 pages long on it alone.

Peace,
Min

Take 3...

I think Mista Min has about got me convinced on the MXL 2003A. I am now just wondering... if I was going to spend 215 on the V69 mogami. I could actually afford both mics...

the MXL 2003A
and the V67G

Should I buy both? I could go to B&H (i live near nyc) and pick them both up for 230 bucks. OR... If I am going to spend that kind of money, should I consider something like the Cad M9 instead?

Like I said... this is so confusing.

However I would like to say that I put this question out there because you guys are so good at figuring out the best bang for a buck and I knew I would get some good responses but everyone on here has been so very helpful. I thank all of you... doulas... fast frets... izzy. I think I may have to go with budget and min on this one however. I am about convinced.

Just tell me i'm doing the right thing going with these two mics over something like the Cad M9. I've heard some great things about this mic.

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Peace,
Min

Okay 5th time now... what Min and Budget MC have said about these mics have got me thinking now about BOTH the 2003A AND the V67G. I was going to spend 219 on the Mogami and if these are both better... maybe i should get both?

What about the Cad M9?

Looks pretty awesome actually and I've heard good things. Should I spend it all to get one really good mic or should I stick with the MXL's which continue to over acheive?

mista min 29th December 2010 09:09 PM

The CAD M9 is an interesting mic and I really wanna get one two :)

It's Tube driven and OP amped balanced output like their Equitek mics (E100-E350). The tube is sourced from Russia and is an 12AX7. However, I believe a nice NOS Mullard from BOWIE would be nice in it!

For the price it's ready to compete with the TLM series from Neumann, especially after the tube swap. I feel like I'm biting recordinghacks... :/

Seriously, it is supposed to be a great mic and yea any CAD Equitek and M series mic is gonna be good. For vocals I'd give a thumbs up to the M9, but it's the other direction of the V69 ME.

Now... is it a better option then the 2003a and the V67G?

IDK, but what I do know is that I LOVE my CAD e-350's! This opamp design that CAD uses is awesome and really delivers great results.

Only reason I haven't bought an M9 is because well... I haven't needed it :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Hope that helps!

Peace,hooppie
min

hossman777 29th December 2010 10:05 PM

I have both the V67G and the 2003a and really like them both. I've not heard nearly as many good things about the V69 as I have the two mics in my locker. B&H has a deal on the 2003a where you get the 2003a, a 603S, shockmounts for each, and a hard case. Nice little deal.

doulos24 29th December 2010 10:08 PM

i still recomend the mxl 960 over the m9

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulos24 (Post 6160596)
i still recomend the mxl 960 over the m9

really? even over the CAD? i do need to look into this...

ericprops&fx 29th December 2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericprops&fx (Post 6160765)
really? even over the CAD? i do need to look into this...

Alright... 2003A or MXL 960 or CAD M9 or MXL V67G...

That's what it has come down to...

will go to B&H right now and buy one... what do I do?

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Peace,
Min

Listen to Mista Min. I own 2003A's as well as V67G's, the 2003A is a much smoother mic. Less hyped in the upper frequencies as well. I see GC is running a special (at least in Mobile AL) for the CR-24 package for $149. The CR-24 is the same mic as a 2003A.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5927309-post431.html
MXL Cr-24 Studio Condenser

This is a great deal normally selling for $199. I do believe I may get another two mic's that I don't need, just to save some money!

If you're looking for a tube mic, I really like my CM-6's (that are burning some more as I type). But, if you just want MXL, get the V69XM. Not near as bright as the ME and would be far more useful I would think.

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers!
Mitchell

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericprops&fx (Post 6160794)
Alright... 2003A or MXL 960 or CAD M9 or MXL V67G...

That's what it has come down to...

will go to B&H right now and buy one... what do I do?

If you get the 2003A, get the package.

It says 2003 but it's a 2003A.

MXL Pro Pac Plus - Condenser Microphone Kit PRO PAC PLUS B&H

I have bought two of these from B&H and they are 2003A's in the box. See the 2003A thread for pics and other confirmation if you're still unsure.

Cheers!
Mitchell

ericprops&fx 30th December 2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs2xs (Post 6161088)

I have bought two of these from B&H and they are 2003A's in the box. See the 2003A thread for pics and other confirmation if you're still unsure.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Oh that's nice Mitchell!! Awesome... Alright... I think I know what i'm doing now...

ericprops&fx 30th December 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs2xs (Post 6161088)

Cheers!
Mitchell

Even if the additional mic is not great... I would still get that package... but how is that 603S? Is it a useful instrument mic?

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericprops&fx (Post 6161126)
Even if the additional mic is not great... I would still get that package... but how is that 603S? Is it a useful instrument mic?

The 603S can be harsh, but is not totally useless. Lots of low-enders use them stock. I sent my first pair to MJoly for modding and they're nice now. There's a fairly easy cap mod you can do yourself if you're good with a soldering iron. I have not done this yet on two more I have, but plan to in the future.

Gus' MXL 603s mod - Pictures/Part numbers -thanks Flatpicker

You can also get a pair of omni caps from amazon for $23 bucks.

Amazon.com: MXL Set of omni capsules for MXL603,604: Electronics

Cheers!
Mitchell

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 01:16 AM

V67G

1 Attachment(s)
Just to say one more thing, the V67G is not a bad mic and is useful as well. But when I tried it on my guitar cab, it did not fair so well where the 2003A did. I just ran a VO test with a friend of mine who has a deep bass voice and the 2003A and V88 were both better than the V67G. But for $87 bucks, it's a great deal as well. Check the plots, very similar. And if you don't know about recordinghacks.com, it's another great resource for most things microphone. The 2003A has the pad and rolloff as well, which is another selling point.

Mitchell

fzit0 30th December 2010 01:23 AM

what about the MXL Revelation? bumpkin

ericprops&fx 30th December 2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fzit0 (Post 6161343)
what about the MXL Revelation? bumpkin

i'm sure it's very nice ... at $1200 it should be!

ericprops&fx 30th December 2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs2xs (Post 6161330)
Just to say one more thing, the V67G is not a bad mic and is useful as well. But when I tried it on my guitar cab, it did not fair so well where the 2003A did. I just ran a VO test with a friend of mine who has a deep bass voice and the 2003A and V88 were both better than the V67G. But for $87 bucks, it's a great deal as well. Check the plots, very similar. And if you don't know about recordinghacks.com, it's another great resource for most things microphone. The 2003A has the pad and rolloff as well, which is another selling point.

Mitchell

I'm not so worried about mic amping. I use a Robert Godin guitar into the VG99 Roland cabinet emulator/midi guitar creature and it's thoroughly awesome. It goes direct in USB into Cubase with no issues. The acoustic piezo on it actually sounds better than my martin on recordings.

I'm beginning to embrace technology

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericprops&fx (Post 6161500)
I'm not so worried about mic amping. I use a Robert Godin guitar into the VG99 Roland cabinet emulator/midi guitar creature and it's thoroughly awesome. It goes direct in USB into Cubase with no issues. The acoustic piezo on it actually sounds better than my martin on recordings.

I'm beginning to embrace technology

Gotcha. There's a lot of decent mics out there that people can afford now, so dive on in.

BudgetMC 30th December 2010 03:41 AM

Just to make your life difficult, here's a Sound on Sound review of the M9. They compare it very favorably to the CAD VSM-1, which I have and is a REALLY good mic. If it really compares so well to the VSM-1, it's a steal at the current MF price. Heck, I've nearly pulled the trigger on an M9 a couple of times, and I'm exerting significant self control right now!:cop:

CAD M9

All that said, if you are starting out, go with the 2003a/603s combo and the V67g if you are bound and determined to spend $250. That'll give you three mics that will cover a lot of turf... more than a single M9, even if it's dang good.

mhs2xs 30th December 2010 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudgetMC (Post 6161774)
Just to make your life difficult, here's a Sound on Sound review of the M9. They compare it very favorably to the CAD VSM-1, which I have and is a REALLY good mic. If it really compares so well to the VSM-1, it's a steal at the current MF price. Heck, I've nearly pulled the trigger on an M9 a couple of times, and I'm exerting significant self control right now!:cop:

CAD M9

All that said, if you are starting out, go with the 2003a/603s combo and the V67g if you are bound and determined to spend $250. That'll give you three mics that will cover a lot of turf... more than a single M9, even if it's dang good.

kfhkh Another right on post. The M9 at amazon made it down to sub $200 or so before they took it down, along with the MXL V6. I was watching it but it didn't last long. If I had not just bought the two CM-6's, I'd have a couple of those.

Just ran through a Blumlein setup with the CM-6's and my wife was singing. She won't let me post it though. They're not bad at all. Still have some burning in to do, but I'm still happy with em. There's a peak in the highs, but it's not harsh. Sounded just like she did, giggling under her breath and all.