Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your PRE-73?... (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/560318-wanna-tube-mic-go-your-pre-73-a.html)

kidvybes 14th December 2010 06:19 AM

Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your PRE-73?...
 
4 Attachment(s)
...if you like the performance/value quotient of the GAP PRE-73, then I've got a great recommendation...check out my thoughts on the CM-6 Tube Mic from Stellar Sounds in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...d-watch-4.html

...we will be organizing a shooutout of affordable modded tube mics in the near future and this mic will be one of the contenders (and also the least expensive)...our last shootout featured the MXL 2003A, which got great reviews...this CM-6 Tube Mic is a similar standout...we're on a quest to weed out the best "Low-End" gear at the best prices...what's better than great cheap gear?...OK, besides that...

..check it out:
Stellar CM-6 EF86/EF806 Tube Condensor Microphone - eBay (item 130461480943 end time Jan-01-11 12:33:12 PST)

***I am not affiliated with Stellar, just a satisfied customer and OC gearhead!

nowaysj 14th December 2010 12:24 PM

...we will be organizing a shooutout
==

Whenabouts? Sooner the better, am thinking about going down this route...

kidvybes 14th December 2010 03:36 PM

...my partner/engineer is buried at the moment finishing mix projects that must be done before the holidays, so it will probably be in early January...to do these things right takes a bit of planning...but I may try to get some files up for this mic earlier than that...if you have any questions, don't hesitate...this mic has excellent build quality...the only real improvement might be to upgrade the capsule to a Peluso or a Campbell down the road at some point, but the stock capsule sounds just fine, certainly at this price...

...I have two or three other tube mics that cost more than twice this price, that are well respected, and this mic holds it's own handily...a few years ago, you couldn't buy a mic this good for anywhere near this price...having a mic modded for the same expense (not including the cost of the donor mic) would have been the only option...once the word gets out, these mics will sellout, just like the PRE-73...

scottstoked 14th December 2010 07:35 PM

Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to have a vocal sample of this mic with the GAP? Do you think this would make a good voice over mic?

kidvybes 14th December 2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstoked (Post 6111874)
Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to have a vocal sample of this mic with the GAP? Do you think this would make a good voice over mic?

...I asked my partner, since he works as a fulltime engineer (and he has the GAP in his room), to try and get some vocal samples to post, from his studio sessions...but I will say that his first impressions at my studio last night, when listening to both of our voices, speaking thru the mic and tracking (thru a Great River ME-1NV, which is in the GAP's ballpark), was that it sounded very much like a "broadcast mic"...it has a really nice proximity effect that gives it a very intimate (close) sounding quality...when you listen to yourself, you sound like yourself, natural and just a bit "bigger"...if you work the proximity, your voice blooms...since it has a good quality 6-micron mylar capsule, it handles close proximity well...
BTW...the proximity effect is controllable by dialing the pattern selector towards the "Omni" setting..."Cardioid" has more proximity, and "Omni" has much less...you have 3 selectable variations between the two...

...I'll try to get vocal samples up soon...

scottstoked 14th December 2010 11:18 PM

Can't wait to hear them! I have the Pre73 and a couple of mics I'm pretty happy with, but would love a mic that helps me sound more warm and smooth.

changeng 15th December 2010 10:23 PM

interesting - kidvybes - have you tried an MXL Genesis? I"m wondering how this Stellar would compare - the Genesis is a bit spitty up around 5-7 K. Been looking for a rounder alternative.

kidvybes 15th December 2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changeng (Post 6116075)
interesting - kidvybes - have you tried an MXL Genesis? I"m wondering how this Stellar would compare - the Genesis is a bit spitty up around 5-7 K. Been looking for a rounder alternative.

...I heard the Genesis...this mic sounds better...the Genesis is also transformerless...I prefer tube mics that incorporate the dynamic of tube input and transformer output...(brimming with harmonic distortion heh)...no joke though, nothing at this pricepoint has this build quality...some of my modding associates have confirmed the circuit mod is well executed...next best thing is twice the price (I know because I have one of those mics also) and is about 90% identical (circuit in that one is built around a 6072 tube)...this one is a steal! bumpkin

changeng 15th December 2010 10:41 PM

thanks! so who needs to make a car payment anyways?

Ebay, bring it on! :facepalm:

dickiefunk 15th December 2010 11:53 PM

Any ideas on how this mic compares to the SE Electronics SE2200T?

Also, can I by this mic in the UK?

kidvybes 16th December 2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiefunk (Post 6116354)
Any ideas on how this mic compares to the SE Electronics SE2200T?

Also, can I by this mic in the UK?

...Dickie...no, sorry...I had the sE 2200A which I liked, but not the newer tube version...but I would guess it sounds better...I can tell you that IMHO, it sounds better than my old sE Z5600 MK II...this is a $700-1000 mic, in terms of it's performance...it compares in quality with the AA CM-47 and the Peluso 2247, just a bit different voicing (the CM-6's EF86/EF806 tube circuit, also used in the U67, has a different vibe than the 6072 tube circuit in those mics)...at this price it's a bargain...

...I think Peter Bloch at Stellar would send it to the UK (with appropriate postage)...you can ask that question from the eBay auction, or I can email him for you on this end...with the strength of the British Pound, you get a better deal! heh

mhs2xs 16th December 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidvybes (Post 6110173)
...if you like the performance/value quotient of the GAP PRE-73, then I've got a great recommendation...check out my thoughts on the CM-6 Tube Mic from Stellar Sounds in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...d-watch-4.html

...we will be organizing a shooutout of affordable modded tube mics in the near future and this mic will be one of the contenders (and also the least expensive)...our last shootout featured the MXL 2003A, which got great reviews...this CM-6 Tube Mic is a similar standout...we're on a quest to weed out the best "Low-End" gear at the best prices...what's better than great cheap gear?...OK, besides that...

..check it out:
Stellar CM-6 EF86/EF806 Tube Condensor Microphone - eBay (item 130461480943 end time Jan-01-11 12:33:12 PST)

***I am not affiliated with Stellar, just a satisfied customer and OC gearhead!

Whew...Just in time.

dickiefunk 16th December 2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidvybes (Post 6116379)
I can tell you that IMHO, it sounds better than my old sE Z5600 MK II

I read in a mag review the SE2200T that the reviewers preferred the 2200T to the Z5600kII aswell!

Interesting!

May look at one of these in the new year. How does the Stellar CM-6 compare to the MXL 2003a?

mista min 16th December 2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiefunk (Post 6117740)
I read in a mag review the SE2200T that the reviewers preferred the 2200T to the Z5600kII aswell!

Interesting!

May look at one of these in the new year. How does the Stellar CM-6 compare to the MXL 2003a?

My budies have an SE2200T and they recorded their whole album on it. While it has more bottom end against the SE 2200a. However, the Stellar CM-6, if (according to Denis) is anywhere near the caliber of a Peluso 2247 I can easily tell you that you are better off getting the Stellar.

On one song the guys did, one of the featured artist went to a local studio here in Munich and used a Telefunken U47 -> GML -> CL1b and the voice sounded so big!

The others used the SE 2200T into an SPL Channel One (a great preamp! I don't care what anybody says! That thing ROCKS!!!) and they sounded descent, but no where near the depth of the U47....

Now, the CM-6 is by no means a U47, but neither is the Peluso.

So the real question is, does this mic sound as good as mics 4 times it's price. If it does, then I'd go with the Stellar. If not, I'd still go with the Stellar. The SE 2200T didn't impress me very much, it was good, but not ohmygoodgraciouslordwhowouldhavethoughtisoundedsogoodonsuchbeautifulthingIchweissesnichtwarumdasistsounglaublichgut Mcirophone... jummpp

When I first used the CAD e-350 on a ART Prochannel I had that feeling... That it was an ohmygoodgraciouslordwhowouldhavethoughtisoundedsogoodonsuchbeautifulthingIchweissesnichtwarumdasistsounglaublichgutgraciasporestacosaaquí microphone

Like I said the SE 2200T isn't very impressive if you ask me. I like the Røde K2 more thumbsup (the K2 with the SPL TrackOne on pure tube and pushing the tube hard did that for me!)heh

kidvybes 16th December 2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiefunk (Post 6117740)
May look at one of these in the new year. How does the Stellar CM-6 compare to the MXL 2003a?

...OK...I asked about shipping to Europe and there's no problem, Stellar already ships to Europe...

...as far as the 2003A goes, both mics sound good but different...the CM-6 doesn't sound like a stock Chinese tube mic...it sounds better...if you've heard some of the modded mics that are gaining popularity, you will understand...the 2003A has a bit of that sound (better than it's price would suggest)...I try to compare the CM-6 with other tube mics like the Avant CV12, the Advanced Audio CM-47, and the current entry level Peluso 2247, because I've used all of those mics and the CM-6 fits in with them handily...mics that have better components, better transformers just sound better than those that don't...throw a Peluso capsule in this mic, like Dave Thomas does to some of his upgraded models, and the mic takes on another level of improvement I'm sure...

...my main point here is I don't think there is another tube mic any where near this pricepoint that sounds like this...not without some upgrading/modding...the Studio Projects T3 is one of the better sounding off-the-shelf tube mics, and it's $599 here in the US (the CM-6 still sounds better)...the closest comparison I can think of is a $700 mic...of course, this is the opinion of myself and my studio partner, who has more experience working with high-end mics, because he is a professional freelance recording engineer...personally, after using mics like the Advanced Audio, Avant and Peluso, most of the stock Chinese Tube mics sound like they are lacking something...just my humble opinion...

changeng 16th December 2010 05:16 PM

I guess the five-dollar question is: does this Stellar tube mic give you the oft-hoped for 50's Frank Sinatra type of tone - all round, present, articulate but not anywhere near screechy, or does it give you a clean, full, overly-detailed sound that a decent tube mic gves? and does it get peak-y around 5-7K?

kidvybes? anyone?

kidvybes 16th December 2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changeng (Post 6118627)
I guess the five-dollar question is: does this Stellar tube mic give you the oft-hoped for 50's Frank Sinatra type of tone - all round, present, articulate but not anywhere near screechy, or does it give you a clean, full, overly-detailed sound that a decent tube mic gves? and does it get peak-y around 5-7K?

kidvybes? anyone?

...that's tough to say without having tracked a singer like Sinatra...frankly we haven't tracked any singer's yet, we've just been running preliminary tracking to get familiar with the mic...I ran some response graphs comparing it to the AA CM-47 and my Rode NT Classic I (which I love)...it was closer to the AA CM-47 than the Classic, but it has more articulation than the CM-47, and just a bit less bass-iness, yet it's got a bit more body (thickness) than the Rode...it's kind of between the two...if you get up close, the proximity gives you that warmer, crooner type vibe...it does not have any harshness in the top end, but it's not rolled-off...it's detailed and there's "air" on top...the Rode's top-end is slightly more refined/finished sounding (it's a $2000 mic)...but the CM-6 has a nice analogue sounding vibe...you know there's a tube in the mix...kinda like the PRE-73 sounds like there's transformers in the mix...not a "cold" digital vibe...
...also, Peter at Stellar burns in each mic before shipping for 24-48 hours, so there's much less chance of any issues once you receive your mic...

...I hope to get some samples up soon...just some quick voice tracks for reference...kfhkh

changeng 16th December 2010 06:15 PM

thanks, kidvybes - good explanation. much appreciated. it sounds like it might be fairly similar to the Genesis for my purposes - never really know about a mic till you push it hard in the real world. I imagine with a tube AND transformer that it can saturate nicely.

dickiefunk 16th December 2010 07:02 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Another option I'm considering is upgrading the capsule and tube in my SE2200T? Maybe this would be more cost effective?

Are there any more specs on the CM-6?

How would you describe the tonal differences between the 2003a and CM-6?

kidvybes 16th December 2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiefunk (Post 6118953)
Thanks for the replies!

Another option I'm considering is upgrading the capsule and tube in my SE2200T? Maybe this would be more cost effective?

Are there any more specs on the CM-6?

How would you describe the tonal differences between the 2003a and CM-6?

...I don't currently have a 2003A to compare, other than the files from our previous shootout...I do have a JJ Audio modded V67 (highly rated by many here on GS)...I ran comparitive graphs for the two mics and posted them on my other thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6118846-post4.html

...as you can see, the mics perform similarly...while graphs can illustrate frequency response, they don't tell the whole story...the two mics don't sound as similar as the graphs suggest, but they both sound very good and the differences are variations in tone...both are well balanced and IMHO, very good for general vocal tracking duties...

theproduca 16th December 2010 08:35 PM

Sputnik. Seems to tame the highend from the mic that get when using the Meek VC1, ISA220, or the M816X I use. Smooth sounding, barely hear the tube working in it.

kidvybes 16th December 2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theproduca (Post 6119266)
Sputnik. Seems to tame the highend from the mic that get when using the Meek VC1, ISA220, or the M816X I use. Smooth sounding, barely hear the tube working in it.

...yeah I like the Sputnik too...the differences from this CM-6 are, the Sputnik has a 3-micron capsule and the CM-6 has a 6-micron (allowing for closer proximity tracking on vocals with less "plosives" and "essi-ness")...they both utilize a "pentode tube wired as a triode" circuit, but the Sputnik's tube is fixed in position, soldered in and the CM-6 has a socketed tube, allowing for tube swapping which can offer different variable tonalities...the CM-6 has a vintage BV8 type dual-bobbin transformer (similar to that used in the U47)...also, the Sputnik is a bit brighter IMHO than the CM-6...

...all in all, both are very good values, but a new CM-6 sells for a little more than half the going retail price on the Sputnik, and delivers a bit more vintage sort of sound...even used, the Sputnik sells for more...IMHO, the CM-6 offers more bang-for-the-buck...

...I would even suggest, that anyone looking to put together a killer vocal tracking front-end, consider the Stellar CM-6 (true vintage style tube mic) > GAP PRE-73 (Neve style "iron in, iron out" transformer-based preamp) > FMR PBC-6A (highly versatile compressor that can do what much more expensive classic units are famous for doing)...
...for just over $1000, you have a front-end that compares in quality with classic setups costing 3-4 times the price!...seriously!

theproduca 16th December 2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidvybes (Post 6119427)
...yeah I like the Sputnik too...the differences from this CM-6 are, the Sputnik has a 3-micron capsule and the CM-6 has a 6-micron (allowing for closer proximity tracking on vocals with less "plosives" and "essi-ness")...they both utilize a "pentode tube wired as a triode" circuit, but the Sputnik's tube is fixed in position, soldered in and the CM-6 has a socketed tube, allowing for tube swapping which can offer different variable tonalities...the CM-6 has a vintage BV8 type dual-bobbin transformer (similar to that used in the U47)...also, the Sputnik is a bit brighter IMHO than the CM-6...

...all in all, both are very good values, but a new CM-6 sells for a little more than half the going retail price on the Sputnik, and delivers a bit more vintage sort of sound...even used, the Sputnik sells for more...IMHO, the CM-6 offers more bang-for-the-buck...

Cool, looking at that right now CM-6!! Thanks.

kidvybes 17th December 2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theproduca (Post 6119452)
Cool, looking at that right now CM-6!! Thanks.

...if I told you that you could get a brand new $700 modded tube mic for half-price, would that sound like a good deal?...

mhs2xs 17th December 2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidvybes (Post 6122068)
...if I told you that you could get a brand new $700 modded tube mic for half-price, would that sound like a good deal?...

My wife hates you btw....jk. When she heard me on the phone with you the other night she said "Are you getting ANOTHER mic?"...lol...They may be shipped today, and so the sickness continues....

Cheers!
Mitchell

kidvybes 17th December 2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs2xs (Post 6122169)
My wife hates you btw....jk. When she heard me on the phone with you the other night she said "Are you getting ANOTHER mic?"...lol...They may be shipped today, and so the sickness continues....

Cheers!
Mitchell

...sorry Bro...my lady too...I mean, it could be another woman that's got my attention...jeez, it's just a microphone!...mezed

scottstoked 17th December 2010 06:40 PM

This is painful . . . I'm considering this mic or the AA CM-87 as a voice over mic. Quick, someone choose for me haha

kidvybes 17th December 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstoked (Post 6122222)
This is painful . . . I'm considering this mic or the AA CM-87 as a voice over mic. Quick, someone choose for me haha

...if you want a U87 type mic, consider JJ Audio's FET mic mod...it can be performed on many of the basic Chinese FET based mics like the Studio Projects C1 and it's relatively inexpensive...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ts-c1-mod.html

...but, the CM-6 worked closely (proximity effect is great) sounds BIG!...mics like this don't come along at these prices very often...easily compares head-to-head with the AA CM-47 (twice the price!)...

...another point worth mentioning, is that the CM-6, just like the CM-47, has it's oversized capsule mounted much higher in the headbasket (like the original Neumann U47), so the top horizontal bar of the headbasket actually intersects the capsule's exposure...it is believed Neumann mounted the capsule very high in the headbasket specifically to blur sibilant frequencies (some people still use a rubberband to hold a pencil across the headbasket of mics to achieve a similar effect)...this feature, along with the shape of the headbasket, is believed to contribute to the smoother sound of the mic...

dickiefunk 17th December 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs2xs (Post 6122169)
My wife hates you btw....jk. When she heard me on the phone with you the other night she said "Are you getting ANOTHER mic?"...lol...They may be shipped today, and so the sickness continues....

Cheers!
Mitchell

Ha Ha sounds very familiar here!!! I dare not mention the words microphone or preamp without my wife reaching for a saucepan!!!

prontold 17th December 2010 10:29 PM

So when are you going to stop blue-balling us and post some clips?!hittt