Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Health and Hearing Loss (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/health-and-hearing-loss/)
-   -   Smoking (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/health-and-hearing-loss/55613-smoking.html)

octatonic 16th January 2006 02:35 PM

Smoking

My moan...

Everything is going great- getting loads of work, making good money, enjoying my work but I started smoking cigarettes again as a small pause/reward during the day.

Looking for alternative suggestions on how to get through the days without doing this.

Any ideas?

James

AlexLakis 16th January 2006 03:30 PM

Cognac?

I know how you mean, tho. It's nice to reward yourself from time to time throughout the day. I find it helps keep me motivated in the short term.

How about a nice hot cup of tea? It takes a few minutes to make, but I've found it's equally rewarding as a cig, and more relaxing too. Not to mention healthier for you.

logichead 16th January 2006 04:11 PM

Think about what you are giving up in exchange for smoking. My brother recently quit after a visit to a friend who had part of a lung removed as part of cancer treatment. Hope he can stick with it.

If you aren't old enough to have lost a friend / family member / aquaintence to cancer you won't have quite the same appreciation for the seriousness of the situation.

Best...H

octatonic 16th January 2006 04:18 PM

Just threw them in the bin, wish me luck...

mac black 16th January 2006 04:30 PM

Oh man, I hate loving to smoke and I cant quit, I managed for about 4 month but back with a vengeance ...
I think we're borm self-destructive (via drugs work sex or just sheer stupidity)

AlexLakis 16th January 2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondjames

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

You don't need 'em.

Just think of other little things that make you happy, and treat yourself throughout the day.

I just recently quit because my son was born. Gotta think of someone other than myself now...

I've switched to liquids. Tea and the occasional beer are good motivators for me.

That, and my son's smile.

pan60 16th January 2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

best of luck!
it is a hard thing to dich, smoking.

drockfresh 16th January 2006 04:49 PM

the 'happy drug' aka antidepressant Zyban helped me and my cousin (who was a smoker for 20 years) quit smoking (in combination with the niccotine patch). It helps soften the mood swings and all-out craziness that happens when you quit. Try that, it may help. Also, drink tons of water...

>I started smoking cigarettes again as a small pause/reward during the day.

For a reward/pause during the day........check Gearslutz and have a big glass of water. Then look at pictures of people in the hospital dying slow painful deaths...which is where you end up if you keep smoking....

KEEP TRYING TO QUIT....IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

simonv 17th January 2006 03:15 AM

Try Tea or Yerba Mate,

but I'm no role-model for quitting smoking though.

JonCraig 17th January 2006 04:12 AM

http://www.quitnet.net

--jon

Curtis Franklin 17th January 2006 04:25 AM

just an update.....

after going back to smoking and quitting about five times...

i am completly quit. i dont even smoke when i drink. i dont even smoke at parties. thanks for all of the support.

Ephemera 17th January 2006 05:10 AM

Well dont, it is very hard.

But now you can save more money to buy Gear :D

Einstein 17th January 2006 12:13 PM

Good luck to both of you, keep it up! For some reason though, nothing makes me want a cig more than hearing how bad they are for me. I think it's something we all know pretty well, and being reminded makes me want one. I've quite a dozen times and always fall back. Once was for about a year...stupid, stupid, stupid.

And this is pretty interesting as well. The last time I quit, I noticed my tempo got bad and seemed to stay that way for a month or so. I gave in right before a big show just for a blanket I guess and rocked the hell out just fine.

I later did some research and found out that nicotine actually improves brain function, prevents memory loss, and aids in coordination. I guess we adapt back to the way we were eventually though. Bad trade if you consider the downsides though.

I'll join you eventually or go bankrupt. They're right up there with fuel prices now.

Imagearho 17th January 2006 09:50 PM

get stoned instead. If you MUST smoke something then at least smoke something that will make you feel good.
Just a thought.

octatonic 17th January 2006 10:00 PM

Actually when I used to smoke weed I'd get quite depressed afterwards.

Anyway, have now quit for a full day.
No serious withdrawal symptoms yet.

Dave Martin 17th January 2006 10:15 PM

Well, you could always try masterbation for those 'feel good breaks'...

But the clients might complain...

superburtm 17th January 2006 11:48 PM

Nobody likes a quitter. ok that was stupid hittt

I'm in the same boat as far as quitting. Good luck!

petsematary 17th January 2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Well, you could always try masterbation for those 'feel good breaks'...

But the clients might complain...

Try doing it in the rest room instead... heppy

Anyway, for those of you lucky enough to reside in Norway, Finland och Sweden, there's always ye olde...

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11273/snus/genport.jpg

Snus! Same kick as smokes, not nearly as dangerous. No proven side effects. Yet.
Heck, if you want I'll send you a pack! They're awesome.

Fletcher 18th January 2006 12:13 AM

Zyban is generally not covered by most health insurance [in the US... I'm not talking about civilized countries]... but Wellbutrin is generally covered by most health insurance... the name for the generic form [Wellbutrin is off patent] is IC Budeprion SR. Tell your doctor you want a scrip for Wellbutrin... he'll look at you funny, tell him you're depressed because you can't quit smoking [Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant on the other side of the 'anti-depressant spectrum' from Prozac].

You have to "ramp up" on it. The usual dosage is 2x 150mg. hits per day... the first week to 10 days you do 1x 150mg. then go to 2. You also have to "ramp off" the **** or you will actually get depressed [and easily agitated... like beating the snot out of a cashier that gives you the wrong change kind of agitated]... so ramp off the way you ramped up [like a week to 10 days... you might actually want to go down to 1 for a week then break them in 1/2 and roll down like another 6 days... but that would depend more on your makeup than anything else.

For when the jones gets kinda hard [and as I'm sure you know... the muthafukkah jones come in waves] there are these toothpicks [on the box they're called "Australian Chewing Sticks] I found that are like soaked in "Tea Tree"... a friend of mine turned me onto them for long plane flights... the ones I have are made by a company called "Thursday Plantation" that can at very least distract the jones for a good 1/2 hour plus [it's usually passed by then].

Best of luck with it... I haven't been able to get the 'no cigarettes' thing down yet [and I've been trying to kick for like 10 years now... probably why I'm such a miserable son of a bitch... smack was easier to kick than fukkin' cigarettes].

Best of luck bro... hope you find something that works!!!

octatonic 18th January 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher

Best of luck bro... hope you find something that works!!!

Thanks Fletcher.

Ok, cravings kicking in big time now.
Decided to enjoy it- each time they kick in I kinda tell myself just to ride it out and make it a bit of a challenge to get through each moment.
It isn't a big deal really... (yeah, right)

JR

pan60 18th January 2006 03:06 PM

every time you feel the urge to smoke, go to the local bar and pick a fight with some burly biker, this will help alleviate the urge to smoke very quickly.

drockfresh 18th January 2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pan60
every time you feel the urge to smoke, go to the local bar and pick a fight with some burly biker, this will help alleviate the urge to smoke very quickly.

.....but don't fight with your girlfriend/wife... grrr grrr ...as tempting as it may be.

Five days after my girlfriend quit smoking, she came home with an unopened pack of cigarretes. She was giving up. When I grabbed the pack, she turned on me. I've never seen such rage in her eyes. I had to hold her back with a broom. She was in the corner of the kitchen screaming at me.....crying her eyes out....and I was cornering her with the broom. I've never seen such rage in anyone's eyes.

Warn your family and friends....you will have THE RAGE. Recognize it for what it is....in the end it is worth it.

Fletcher 18th January 2006 10:18 PM

The first time I tried to quit my wife walked into my office with a pack of smokes and a lighter... she said I was driving everyone out of their minds so for the sake of the business [and our marriage] just light up and leave them alone.

pan60 18th January 2006 10:52 PM

my wife told if i ever start back up i had just plan on them killing me cause she would not go through the crap of me quitting again.

octatonic 19th January 2006 10:46 AM

Bastard bugger ****-a-doodle-do

Had a couple of beers last night and ended up having a couple of cigs.
Only a couple mind, but that isn't really the goal.
Guess I have to start again eh?

goldphinga 19th January 2006 12:47 PM

I found that herbal cigarettes are just the ticket. a company called ntb make eucalyptus cigarettes that are tobacco and nicotene free. work for me.

pan60 19th January 2006 03:35 PM

for me having a smoke after a few days, ( a reword for not smoking! ) just seemed to make quitting even harder and harder.
i had to just trash-em and fight the urge to some period.
not easy i know, be persistent, keep trying.

life is short, pick a fight with someone large!
kfhkh

drockfresh 19th January 2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Bastard bugger ****-a-doodle-do

Had a couple of beers last night and ended up having a couple of cigs.
Only a couple mind, but that isn't really the goal.
Guess I have to start again eh?

If you want to quit smoking your going to have to stop drinking for at least a few months. There is absolutely no way at all you can quit and drink. No alchohol, period. And when you eventually do drink, it will not be as fun for a long long time. I know it sucks, but you've got to pay to play.

octatonic 22nd January 2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus
If you want to quit smoking your going to have to stop drinking for at least a few months. There is absolutely no way at all you can quit and drink. No alchohol, period. And when you eventually do drink, it will not be as fun for a long long time. I know it sucks, but you've got to pay to play.

Ok... on day 3 again now, but about to go to an album launch party (that I played on).
Fully intend not to smoke.... lets see how we do...

doorknocker 22nd January 2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus
If you want to quit smoking your going to have to stop drinking for at least a few months. There is absolutely no way at all you can quit and drink. No alchohol, period.

Not true.

Quitting smoking is all about realizing that it's STARTING smoking that causes the withdrawal syndroms and eventually leads you to constantly 'fight' against the syndroms by lighting up again.
The famous 'anti-smoking guru' Allen Carr made a great analogy when he compared it to wearing shoes that are 2 sizes too small only to 'enjoy' the sensation at night of taking them off again. That's exactly the way it happened to me and I'm now in my 6th year off cigarettes- without ANY whithdrawal syndroms or relapses at all.

It took a lot of failed attempts over the years and I can honestly say and confirm that it's all in the mind. All these 'methadone'-like theories with nicotine gum, pills or whatever are plain BS. It's the industry trying to make a buck with your health problems.

The first mistake that most people make (and I made it plenty of times in my early half-serious attempts to quit smoking) is saying 'It's gonna be hard'. You'll immedeately put yourself under stress that way and everything you do will be measured against your 'will to quit'. It can't work that way and if it does works then it's only by force (Carr calls it 'willpower') and there's a high chance that you'll compensate by over-eating or over-drinking. A musician won't have trouble with THAT, as we all now.
Anyway, I do enjoy a drink or two once in a while and it has nothing to do with smoking or not smoking.

Ah, I'm sounding like a preacher and it's Sunday, WTF....

P.S: James, I WILL call you soon. Soryy about not doing it sooner, there was a lot going on here with new projects and stuff. howdy