Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   UBK Monitor Controller with Talkback?!?!?!? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/548403-ubk-monitor-controller-talkback.html)

RonT 8th November 2010 09:14 PM

UBK Monitor Controller with Talkback?!?!?!?

Umm just got wind of this!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...s-img_5239.jpg

I have a Central Station and I long for something better.

Dangerous Music Monitor ST $1800
Danfield Monitor Station 2 $1800
Cranesong Avocate $2600

All of these are out of my price range! This looks promissing and we all know that UBK is an analog freak so the signal should be passive.........

Anyword?

cosmos 8th November 2010 09:21 PM

UBK Monitor Controller with Talkback?!?!?!?

This is just what I need. Greg any word on that ? Don't hold us too long!!! ;)

I would love to see a dim switch there, any reason not to? (maybe technical?)

csl 8th November 2010 09:22 PM

Looks interesting! The inimitable shade of UBK brown.

RonT 8th November 2010 09:26 PM

Come on Greg spill the beans!!!!

is this going to be hitting the market soon?

RonT 9th November 2010 03:45 PM

Wheres UBK?

Michael Loomis 9th November 2010 10:09 PM

UBK talks about these new products in Jules' AES picture thread. Two separate units that join together, so you can just buy what you need. $400 each, Shipping in 60 days, if I remember correctly.

Michael

ARIEL 9th November 2010 10:23 PM

H needs to them more brown like his other units . Reminds me of the flesh tone I used to use to paint my Lead figures when I played Dungeons and Dragons back in the 80's ;)

lucey 9th November 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonT (Post 5980321)
This looks promissing and we all know that UBK is an analog freak so the signal should be passive.........
Anyword?

Not passive, but a nice and clean active path.

DB9 25 pin I/O on the Function Junction.

The color is cool and what you'd expect, not as peach as this photo if I recall.

u b k 10th November 2010 08:24 AM

It's Brown, I swear!

Same as UBK Fatso and Clariphonic. As long as I'm alive, 1974 will never die!

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...a2c48eb35g.jpg

u b k 10th November 2010 08:59 AM

Details

So the basics:

The Gain Train, a totally transparent, dual module monitor controller. The path from Input to Output is Class A, 18v rails, dc coupled, so no caps in the signal path whatsoever, delivering 24db of headroom. The sonics on this thing are squeaky clean, what you put in is what you hear in your speakers.

Module 1: Main Gain, a complete, simple, standalone monitor controller.

2 In, 2 Out via balanced TRS

Mono switch

Independent Left & Right output muting (at last!)

Tri-color Peak/RMS metering

Module 2: Function Junction, the bells and whistles expansion unit. Attaches directly to Main Gain via high density 15-pin VGA connectors. Or, connect the two with a vga cable and place them wherever you want.

2 Additional Stereo Inputs and Outputs via rear panel DSub

All outputs can be run simultaneously. Hook a sub up to pair and monitor your A or B with the sub, or without the sub, or solo the sub to dial the bottom, or engage party mode and run all speakers at once. Options!

Talkback with Level control and auto program-mute

Dual headphone amps with level controls and top flight signal path (Nichicon & Wima caps, LME hi-voltage op amps). These things get LOUD and are super punchy, my AKG 240's are finally able to hit levels that make me back off on the volume. Sennheisers too, these amps deliver!

Each module lists for $499 each, my guess is they'll hit the streets for around $400 each.

Shipping date estimated at 60 days.

Enjoy!

Gregory Scott - ubk

GilWave 10th November 2010 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another angle

chuckfurok 10th November 2010 07:20 PM

Looks awesome and great price too!

Lumin One 10th November 2010 09:21 PM

could you use this to connect 2 different inputs and toggle them to go out of one output? say i have two different soundcards connected to 1 and 2, could i have either one output to output 1?

BradM 10th November 2010 09:57 PM

Hi Lumin,

I think I understand your question. The input switching has OR logic. So you can switch your inputs between 1:2 (on the Main Gain TRS) OR 3:4 OR 5:6 (on Function Junction DB25). This allows you to do quick A/B's of various sources...like if you wanted to compare DAW playback to a CD player reference track. The selected input signal then feeds all stereo outputs. As Greg mentioned you can turn on any combination of outputs using the mute switches on the Main Gain and the 3:4 and 5:6 output switches on the Function Junction.

I hope that helps!

Brad

maxy 10th November 2010 09:58 PM

Looks great! Is it possible to listen to two input sources at the same time - my daw and my mic pre before the daw?

BradM 10th November 2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmos (Post 5980342)
This is just what I need. Greg any word on that ? Don't hold us too long!!! ;)

Hi,

We opted for simple on the talkback. Unless we went to surface mount components there really wasn't a way to cram any more components in that box. The talkback only feeds the headphones by the way. So we felt that having dim became less important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxy
Looks great! Is it possible to listen to two input sources at the same time - my daw and my mic pre before the daw?

Unfortunately there is no summing capability of the inputs. You would need to use the cue mix features of your audio inteface or a mixer to do that.

Brad

u b k 10th November 2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxy (Post 5988657)
Is it possible to listen to two input sources at the same time - my daw and my mic pre before the daw?

Good question! We considered adding this capability, but decided against it for three reasons:

1) cost goes up due to more parts and increased design complexity

2) the units would have to be bigger, and they were already bigger than I originally wanted

but most importantly:

3) we recognized that almost every modern soundcard allows for zero-latency monitoring already

So I didn't want it bigger, Brad didn't want it more complex, and neither of us wanted to make people pay for something they already had. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk

maxy 10th November 2010 10:55 PM

Thanks for the quick explanations.

I've thought about using the monitoring through my sound card as it seems so logical but I like being able to adjust volume with a knob instead of a mouse. I might be willing to try it another way...

Great concept you guys got going here.

BradM 10th November 2010 11:07 PM

Have you thought about getting a TRS patchbay (I have the Samson S-Patch) and a little Mackier mixer? You would simply feed the output of your preamp into the patchbay where it would be multed. One feed would go to your soundcard. The other feed would go to the mixer. You then could have a pair of outputs from your soundcard going into the mixer for the main DAW mix. That would allow you to do totally analog no-latency cue mixes without having to compromise the quality of the signal going from your preamp to your DAW.

Brad

jonnymac 10th November 2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad McGowan (Post 5988700)
Hi,

We opted for simple on the talkback. Unless we went to surface mount components there really wasn't a way to cram any more components in that box. The talkback only feeds the headphones by the way. So we felt that having dim became less important.
Brad

confused on the "dim". what does dim have to do with talkback?
i used the dim button on my mackie control 100 times a day. its priceless to me. has nothing to do with talkback on my end.?
of course, i could be missing something here.

BradM 10th November 2010 11:24 PM

Sorry...my brain is elsewhere today. I was thinking of an auto dim feature that some mixers have when you engage talkback (so you don't get feedback out of your control room monitors).

Dim switch for program material....got it. I'm with you now. heh

Brad

jonnymac 10th November 2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad McGowan (Post 5989190)
Sorry...my brain is elsewhere today. I was thinking of an auto dim feature that some mixers have when you engage talkback (so you don't get feedback out of your control room monitors).

Dim switch for program material....got it. I'm with you now. heh

Brad

ok, im with you now...
so, regarding talkback then... what did he mean by this "Talkback with Level control and auto program-mute"

whats the auto program-mute?

jonnymac 10th November 2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmos (Post 5980342)

me too on the dim! i cant work without it.
could it be a mod maybe?

RonT 10th November 2010 11:31 PM

With the Big Sexy Knob,....who needs a dim switch?!?!? Man that knob is "tits"<---------heh

Simple, Sexy, Sweet, Well Thought Out, Trusted Engineers, Expandabe, Small Footprint, Great Features, Priced Just Right!!!!!

Couple of small features missing but totally not deal breakers by no means!

Imagine if SSL would have talked to Greg and Brad before they presented the Neclues!:facepalm:

u b k 10th November 2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnymac (Post 5989207)
whats the auto program-mute?

When you engage Talkback, the currently active Input is muted in the headphone feed and only the TB mic is heard to the headphones.

Gregory Scott - ubk

norman_nomad 10th November 2010 11:35 PM

Big ups to Brad and Greg on this one. Brad's a personal friend of mine and I know him to be a very capable designer/engineer. Though I haven't had a chance to give this a test run, I'm sure the sonics are top notch!

I predict a whole-lot-o central stations in the classifieds soon.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

jonnymac 10th November 2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u b k (Post 5989231)
When you engage Talkback, the currently active Input is muted in the headphone feed and only the TB mic is heard to the headphones.

Gregory Scott - ubk

gotchya, is that a feature that can be turned on or off?

i definitely have been looking to replace my mackie control for years and this seems like the first real contender for me.

BradM 11th November 2010 12:26 AM

It can't be turned off. It's a hard switch--either TB mic signal or input source goes to the headphones. When you hit the TB Engage switch you are either/or.

Brad

BradM 11th November 2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norman_nomad (Post 5989238)
Big ups to Brad and Greg on this one. Brad's a personal friend of mine and I know him to be a very capable designer. Though I haven't had a chance to give this a test run, I'm sure the sonics are top notch!

I predict a whole-lot-o central stations in the classifieds soon.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Thanks man! It's too bad you weren't to make it out to the AES show. It was fun. I met Brian Lucey and some other Gearslutz folks for the first time. But yeah--we feel the sonics are extremely transparent. I did a loopback test during the development process using my Mytek converters with and without the Main Gain in the signal flow hooked up to my patchbay via Evidence Audio Lyric cable. I could not hear a difference. I was pretty pleased at that point.

As cool as the Central Station is...everyone I know that has one seems to complain that it colors the audio a little bit. That seemed like something worth addressing. It was nice to be able to design something using the high performance parts I end up modding a lot of my other gear with.

Brad

drBill 12th November 2010 05:56 AM

Hey Brad! Congrats. Looks like you and Greg have a winner on your hands. Great price, features, and I know the design will be top notch.

But please, tell me that the big white ***** knob isn't production.....heh