Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/)
-   -   Post your Low End Mixes (Official - other threads will be removed!) (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/527677-post-your-low-end-mixes-official-other-threads-will-removed.html)

IonicBreed 7th September 2010 05:46 PM

Post your Low End Mixes (Official - other threads will be removed!)

Qualifications Include all native based DAW.

If you used 1,000 dollar plus Outboard gear Skip this thread.
Lets hear good quality work with out the expensive stuff.
Leave Critical and positive feedback.

Ron Vogel 7th September 2010 05:50 PM

OK, I'll play:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9421057
"Musical Chairs"

I have 2 mics, an SM57 and a AT4050

Using the pre's on my Mackie satellite

Stock plugs in Sonar 8.3

$20 SSD drums

I used a Tele through a old Champ for all the guitar other than the dive bomb stuff at the end and the acoustic.

Pretty much all my SC stuff is with the same gear.

IonicBreed 7th September 2010 05:58 PM

Sounds great. Separation is clear. The drums were plug in/programmed?

What mic did you put on the champ? How was it placed?

Ron Vogel 7th September 2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonicBreed (Post 5763559)
Sounds great. Separation is clear. The drums were plug in/programmed?

What mic did you put on the champ? How was it placed?

I always run the '57 on the speaker, then the 4050 out in the room a little. I ran a lot of tracks of guitar here, although they aren't "doubled" anywhere. I was experimenting with tones, so I'd do a few measures with the mics set a certain way (like maybe hanging the 57 over the cab and the 4050 6" out on axis...then maybe the 57 right on the grill and the 4050 off axis...etc)

I mainly use the 57 for guitar, and the 4050 to mix in a little of the room.

The drums are SSD ones audiomidi had the $20 deal on earlier this year. I added tamb, shaker, and some novelty bongos that were mic'd to give it a more authentic feel.

I don't think I used any reverb IIRC, just delays.

Also, on the vox I got an EHX 12AY7 mic pre towards the end of the tracking...and used it on the backround vox

The piano was "truepianos" that comes with Sonar producer. I played it and the drums on my Casio WK500 I picked up at Target for $100 on clearance. Then just edited the tweaks in midi.

jjohansson 7th September 2010 06:15 PM

here's an entire album that i've just released, that was recorded on low end outboard gear... many of the mics/hardware/plugins were chosen by frequenting the Low End Theory forums daily for the past year. I really love GSlutz, in spite of the bad apples...

http://jeffjohansson.com

IonicBreed 7th September 2010 06:56 PM

All I have To Give.

"All I Have To Give"
Mixed/Edited and (painstakingly) fixed any problems. I did not track this song. Merely Mixed and "Mastered" ITB
Mastered 2 track

IonicBreed
Click play on the top post.

I tried posting the MP3 file on GEARSLUTZ but even though i stepped the audio down to 128KBPS ITS STILL TOO BIG OF FILE!!!! grrrgrrrgrrr
Kinda frustrated with the whole thing.

Anyway.... Enjoy the music.

IonicBreed 7th September 2010 06:58 PM

Jeff, The songs are tremendous! How long did you spend on each track roughly? What did you use on the guitars? They sound great.

jjohansson 7th September 2010 07:38 PM

Tremendous adjective, thanks!
the electrics are pretty much an SM57 a few inches from an old Fender amp. ITB reverb usually panned opposite.

the acoustic is mostly the oktava-mk012 (no mod) in mono through a Chameleon 7602, mic'd about 6" from 12th fret. pick a side. (main plugins: T-Racks, Stillwell)

not that you asked, but i tried to make the vocals as subtly doubled as I could... An old Shure mic with some tape saturation courtesy of Jeroen BreeBaart worked nicely as the double for me. The lead vox is mostly an Oktava MK-101 (no mods)- screwed on to the aforementioned mk012

the recording process, itself, took about 10 months for these 9 songs - granted, we are part-timers... after scheduling, came: a lot of file transfers; the occasional 'getting your mind ready;' and one YEAR of listening and learning...

IonicBreed 7th September 2010 08:13 PM

Sweet. Chameleon Labs, and Oktava. Two pieces of gear I have been curious about.

Steb 7th September 2010 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my first multitrack studio style recording. we did 7 songs in 10 hours over the weekend (not recommended!)

stock 003, behringer ada8000 (gasp!) + some crappy mics (best ones are sm57s) then trigger for drum replacement.

its not quite the finished mix (vocals down, solo up will be done) - any thoughts, id love to hear them.

Eric Pederson 24th October 2010 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
STICKY STICKY STICKY BABY =)

Would love any feedback =)

TALENT: tutt 0.0 (stole that from someone on here)
HOURS SPENT: 50+
MICS: V67G-Not Modded Yet :facepalm: (SM57 or ND767A were other options)
REVERB: TL Space! Native
COMPRESSORS: Smack! Plugin
I/O+Pres: MBOX 1 hidz
Monitors: Roland DS90A Digital Monitors (via SPIDIF)
GTR: Gibson SG
FX: Grunge, Whammy, VOX DA5 onboard effects (all direct, no amp mics)
DRUMS: Xpand! Rock Kit
BASS: Xpand! Bass +Whammy parts

Background: Musician 10 yrs, Recordist 8 yrs, Pro Tools 7 Certified, 2 yr degree in Audio Engineering and Production from IPR in Minneapolis.

What I'm feeling slutty for:
-A 003 Factory (mmm.. faders) or 003 Rack w/ Single channel USB Fader
-Another Whammy for stereo work
-Reamp box
-V67G Mod
-MD421
-better location to record in (I record in my studio apartment)

Eric Pederson 24th October 2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steb (Post 5764675)
this is my first multitrack studio style recording. we did 7 songs in 10 hours over the weekend (not recommended!)

stock 003, behringer ada8000 (gasp!) + some crappy mics (best ones are sm57s) then trigger for drum replacement.

its not quite the finished mix (vocals down, solo up will be done) - any thoughts, id love to hear them.

Steb, your song kicked me in the ass! Wow wow wow I am loving this
D, U, I !!!!!!!!!! What is your background with music?

Drums sounded fantastic, maybe bring them up in the chorus a little and maybe a tiny bit of low end could be added to the kick (but the high end attack sound is great). Tell us about your drum setup.
Great job!

Eric Pederson 24th October 2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonicBreed (Post 5763744)
"All I Have To Give"
Mixed/Edited and (painstakingly) fixed any problems. I did not track this song. Merely Mixed and "Mastered" ITB
Mastered 2 track

IonicBreed
Click play on the top post.

I tried posting the MP3 file on GEARSLUTZ but even though i stepped the audio down to 128KBPS ITS STILL TOO BIG OF FILE!!!! grrrgrrrgrrr
Kinda frustrated with the whole thing.

Anyway.... Enjoy the music.

Since I had to stream it I had to use my ghetto PC output to guitar amp monitoring.

But I like the seperation and the guitar sounds very nice as well as the drums. Very professional sounding. Was the place it was tracked at Low End?

The guitar solos are well presented and sound great. The AC gtr is very warm and pretty too.

WhiskeyJonny 24th October 2010 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
EV RE20
Cascade Fathead
Shure KSM32
Oktava MC-012
Audix i5

Aphex 107
ART PRO VLA II

Mackie ONYX 1640i
Reaper

Tracked live into Reaper in my living room. Mixed on the Mackie with KRK V8 2's. Reverb and delay busses done in Reaper and sent to the console. This recording was from band practice, but I thought it turned out well. Originally posted in the Post your good recordings with "junk" gear, but only half of this gear has been called junk. So, I moved it here.

Eric Pederson 24th October 2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyJonny (Post 5923230)
EV RE20
Cascade Fathead
Shure KSM32
Oktava MC-012
Audix i5

Aphex 107
ART PRO VLA II

Mackie ONYX 1640i
Reaper

Tracked live into Reaper in my living room. Mixed on the Mackie with KRK V8 2's. Reverb and delay busses done in Reaper and sent to the console. This recording was from band practice, but I thought it turned out well. Originally posted in the Post your good recordings with "junk" gear, but only half of this gear has been called junk. So, I moved it here.

Holy crap in a pita, great! Very very professional CD sounding, and this is a practice session and not a painstaking playlist comped song??

Beautiful voice and mandolins, I would make the AC Gtr a little wetter. The standup bass, all these instruments are beautiful (listening now)

The vocal delay in the first part could be just a little more subtle.

A very lovely song and great balance and cohesion, with soul.

Someone listen to my song lol =)

P.S what interface are you using with Reaper? And are you using software or outboard for Reverb?

Did you LP shelve the AC GTR to let the mandolin and violin shine more?

Deleted 04d60e1 24th October 2010 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 2nd recording ever. shiee

Eric Pederson 24th October 2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrick (Post 5923264)
My 2nd recording ever. shiee

Buuuulllll, shiiiiitt my friend.
tutt

Love the snare sound, organs are right where they should be.
Great production.

You melted my face off! :cop:

And remember people, OP said $1000 setup or less, and native based. Tell us about what equipment you're using too!

Again, someone listen to my song please =) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5923143-post11.html Post 11

Deleted 04d60e1 24th October 2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pederson (Post 5923285)
Buuuulllll, shiiiiitt my friend.
tutt

Love the snare sound, organs are right where they should be.
Great production.

You melted my face off! :cop:

And remember people, OP said $1000 setup or less, and native based. Tell us about what equipment you're using too!

Again, someone listen to my song please =) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5923143-post11.html Post 11

No joke. My first recording makes me :facepalm:. Mics going into the line ins, but no preamp, behringer head and recording at lower volumes.

For the song, and the rest that will be on the cd, I used a MOTU mk3 ultralite and a motu 8pre.

For the drums I used this CAD drum mic package. CAD DMTP7 Seven Piece Drum Microphone Package DMTP7 - B&H Photo

And also had a SM57 and Audix i5 on the snare. Cant remember which one was on top or bottom but I can probably dig up some pictures.

Bass went into an old Sansamp BassDI. Electric guitar were all Behringer head, direct out into the interface.

I think im a bit under $1k, and it was all recorded in a basic basement. Everything else was done ITB in my bedroom, and mostly all Cubase stock plugins, and then some FerricTDS used a bit throughout the mixing process.

Oh, and the organ sound, we went up to Bing Bang Boom studios to record cause we had a good barter deal, I was told he would be micing up his real Hammond B3 so I was pretty excited, and their studio is pretty insane. But then he just loads up NIs B4 lol. He did a great job though.

Im gonna listen to your track right after a grab a snack.

RARStudios 24th October 2010 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MacBook mic. Mixed in logic. Recorded in my kitchen.

Written, recorded, produced, all in 4 hours.

Band name: RhymesWithSeventy

Enjoy it :) Its my new style

-ev

Unclenny 24th October 2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pederson (Post 5923243)
Someone listen to my song lol =)

OK.howdy

Pretty cool.....moved along nicely and got me in the mood to listen to all of the others.

As usual on a thread like this there is an amazing cross section of material from crossover stuff like 'All I have To Give' (definitely liked that one) to powerful guitar stuff like 'Shades Of Blue' with some enjoyable pop mixed in ('Something With Catalysts') and some very cool vox from Whiskey Jonny.

We can all make music now.....and our only limitation is ourselves.

Is this fun....or what?cooge

RTR 24th October 2010 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is something we did the other day

Gap-73 preamp for vox-guitar-and bass

Behringer b2 pro for Vox...yes...behringer!!

Alesis usb pro kit playing Steven Slate Drums!!

Assortment of VSTI's

NO outboard processing...

Jeffguitar 24th October 2010 03:47 PM

Did this sitting on my bed with my laptop, Line 6 Toneport UX2 as interface in to Sonar 8.5 x64 on Win 7. Used a Presonus MP20 with Jensen Tranny and Burr Brown chips. Mic for everything was a MXL V67G stock, in a desktop stand sitting on my bed, trying to absorb as much low end as possible. Acoustis Right, Left and Lead Center all with V67G, same with main vocal and harmony track, Strings was absynth soft synth in Sonar. I want to get my V67G modded now, cause I think it's just a darn good mic, even stock.

SoundClick artist: Jeff Stewart - page with MP3 music downloads

JMulhollan 24th October 2010 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Presonus FP10 interface into my Macbook Pro
Logic pro (Recorded and mixed) No outboard gear

Drums:
Samson 5 piece drum mic kit
Samson Q6 on high hat (not that it really matters but I took the grill off)
Takstar PCM-6100s for overheads (Japanese pencil condensers)

Guitar:
Samson kick drum mic on amp
The other guitar was recorded from an output on the effects pedal

Bass:
Direct into FP10

Vocals:
Clean vocals were with AKG Perception 200
Screaming was done with Shure SM57

All recorded in living rooms, bedrooms and wherever else we had the space haha

RTR 24th October 2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etcd32 (Post 5923393)
MacBook mic. Mixed in logic. Recorded in my kitchen.

Written, recorded, produced, all in 4 hours.

Band name: RhymesWithSeventy

Enjoy it :) Its my new style

-ev

No ****? A mac mic? Very Very cool!!! the sound of that mic mixed with the FX are perfect for this song!!!

statixx 24th October 2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTR (Post 5923974)
This is something we did the other day

Gap-73 preamp for vox-guitar-and bass

Behringer b2 pro for Vox...yes...behringer!!

Alesis usb pro kit playing Steven Slate Drums!!

Assortment of VSTI's

NO outboard processing...

your drum work sounds awesome. i guess that the gap you got really makes that lil behringer shine huh?

tha bass work was excelent as well. im in the middle of teaching myself bass guitar too.

statixx 24th October 2010 07:41 PM

Here are a few songs ive done with my humble set up. i am rapping / produced the beat/ mixed it all.

shure sm7b
m audio dmp3
m audio fast track usb
reaper
reason 5
behringer truth monitors
american audio TT usb ( used to sample the record for road not taken)

statixx-like this
Statixx- Like This.mp3 - DivShare

statixx-road not taken
Statixx- Road Not Taken .mp3 - DivShare

tampa 24th October 2010 07:55 PM

This was recorded using nothing but an ADA 8000 and an Emu 1820M sound card. Mics were nothing out of the ordinary.

Unclenny 24th October 2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffguitar (Post 5924002)
Did this sitting on my bed with my laptop SoundClick artist: Jeff Stewart - page with MP3 music downloads

I like this one.......in that kind of mood today. Lovin' the variety up here today, though.

More Than A Miracle

fowler137 24th October 2010 08:26 PM

Recorded with 2 Firepods, Cascade Fathead, couple audix i5s, Grace M101, audix D6, cheap CAD SDCs, etc. Trigger on the drums. One of my first things I've recorded and mixed.

Link broken

RARStudios 24th October 2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTR (Post 5924374)
No ****? A mac mic? Very Very cool!!! the sound of that mic mixed with the FX are perfect for this song!!!

Yep! Thank you!

I was surprised how clear it sounded...the room sounds nice though...my downstairs has a foyer, living room, and kitchen that all connect slightly so it gives a nice verb effect which cleans up the tones IMO. boing