Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   From a Manley Cardiod to a Blue Bottle??? Maybe an E49? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/51635-manley-cardiod-blue-bottle-maybe-e49.html)

Agno 9th December 2005 11:36 PM

From a Manley Cardiod to a Blue Bottle??? Maybe an E49?
 
I just got offered a sweet deal for a Blue Bottle with all caps.... and was wondering would I be stepping up in quality if I sold my Manley for the Bottle? I love my Manley and I hear that the B6 cap is in that sonic category... Also, I was thinking maybe just keeping the Manley and getting an E49.... what do you guys think about these mics... and what I should do...?

matt thomas 10th December 2005 01:30 AM

you should keep the manley and et them to offer the bottle to me!

narco
ps. sorry if that doesn't help much..

Agno 10th December 2005 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narco
you should keep the manley and et them to offer the bottle to me!

narco
ps. sorry if that doesn't help much..


You're wrong, it did. Please guys help me out... I would like some insight from my fello slutz..... I've done all the research I can on this site... and am doing more, but a direct response would be appreciated.

Thanx......

Screws 10th December 2005 02:01 PM

The BLUE website has some reviews on the Bottle, and TapeOp just had one on both the Bottle and a few of the capsules. Very favorable. Seems to me the U47 capsule (B7) and the C12 capsule (B6) alone would make the deal worthwhile.

Update:

I found this post from fellow slut DoubleHelix, who evidently owns the Bottle.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/49585-red-mic-type-b-interchangable-anybody.html

Doublehelix 10th December 2005 08:14 PM

Well, I can give a great rousing thunbs up to the Bottle, but have never used the Manley, so I am not really in a position to compare the two.

I could go on all day about the Bottle if you want me to however! Just an amazing piece of gear, and in my opinion one of the most amazing mics being made nowadays, if nothing else, for its sheer versatility! This thing has a transformer in it the size of your fist! Crazy!

From the link that Screws provided, I am only familiar with 3 of the caps, the B4, B6 and B7, but I have heard such great things about all of the other caps too, there is very little way you can go wrong.

(Plus it looks so danged impressive when you set it up!)

Agno 10th December 2005 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doublehelix
Well, I can give a great rousing thunbs up to the Bottle, but have never used the Manley, so I am not really in a position to compare the two.

I could go on all day about the Bottle if you want me to however! Just an amazing piece of gear, and in my opinion one of the most amazing mics being made nowadays, if nothing else, for its sheer versatility! This thing has a transformer in it the size of your fist! Crazy!

From the link that Screws provided, I am only familiar with 3 of the caps, the B4, B6 and B7, but I have heard such great things about all of the other caps too, there is very little way you can go wrong.

(Plus it looks so danged impressive when you set it up!)


Awesome..... can you please ellaborate on the B7 cap??? I haven't found too much on this cap and it's the one that I'm most interested in... And a little on B6........

Take a listen some of my material on the links below to hear my vocals.... to give you an idea, and what cap you think would be appropriate.

Anyone else can jump in on this for that matter...

Agno 11th December 2005 06:28 AM

Bump..... boing

Come on guys.... I know there's some of you out there got some knowledge to share......

Faderjockey 11th December 2005 06:37 AM

I've used the Bottle B6 on vocals (Great) Bass cab (Great) Mono Overhead(Great). Haven't heard the Manley...Sorry.

The Bottle works great on many things...A little tough sometimes because of it's size...(Wish I had that problem heh ).

But I think it sounds Great....Sorry I couldn't help more. I'd like to hear the E49 as well.

DAWgEAR 11th December 2005 06:41 AM

Is there a shockmount for the Bottle? I don't think I've ever seen one mentioned, but I could be wrong. How does one position such a monster mic? Can it be angled easily?

Not that I plan to use one anytime soon, but I'm curious.

You might want to consider this as well if thinking of purchasing one.

Agno 11th December 2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
Is there a shockmount for the Bottle? I don't think I've ever seen one mentioned, but I could be wrong. How does one position such a monster mic? Can it be angled easily?

Not that I plan to use one anytime soon, but I'm curious.

You might want to consider this as well if thinking of purchasing one.

Yeah apparently from what I understand you mount it directly on to your stand.... the caps themselves are shocked. (I maybe wrong, but I think I'm right)

Any E49 users out there????? I need more... If anyone knows if these companies would send out any of theses to demo let me know. No dealers around here carry any of the mics I mentioned in stock......

Fletcher 11th December 2005 01:40 PM

Now I'm not a huge fan of the Manley Gold Reference... it's a good [spelled: e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t] mic, but it's not necesarily a sound I go for in a lot of my recording work. The BLUE "bottle" stuff is purported to be quite good... it's something I've never gone out of my way to hear, but I've heard good things about them from people I respect.

The E-49 is one of my favorite mics ever made!! Damn I'm loving that thing.

So... with all the caveats I can think of out of the way... if I were advising you, this would be my advice..... DON'T SELL A GOT DAMN THING.

You have a quality tool in the Manley Gold Reference. You obviously purchased it because it fit with your sense of aesthetic. Even if you find a new love... be it the
Blue stuff or an E-49 or a whateverthefukk... don't sell tools that work for you to get other tools. Build a collection of tools.

A visual artist doesn't sell their red paint to buy blue paint... don't sell a quality piece of hardware to get a different quality piece of hardware. Somewhere down the road you're going to sit there kicking yourself that you sold ____ because it's the exact thing you need more than oxygen at the moment.

How do I know? I've made that mistake more than a few times and found myself in a world of regret every time I've done it... and with all due respect, I have a hell of a lot more tools at my disposal than most. I'm speaking from experience when I mention that I've found myself regretting selling something it's because it was a unique sounding tool [like the Manley Gold has a unique tone] and I really needed that specific texture for a project.

Of course I've been able to work around things like that... you've got to do what you've got to do to complete the gig to the best of your ability... but knowing that you once had the right tool for a job and you no longer have it because you sold it for ____ [which won't work nearly as well in the same application] is a total drag.

I'd recommend you "build a collection" of tools over time instead of playing 'hardware roulette' where you sell ___ to buy a ____ then sell that ____ to buy a ____ and a ____. Not nly do you lose money with every sale [most of the time] but you don't add depth and texture to your arsenal of tools.

Best of luck with what ever course you choose.

Faderjockey 11th December 2005 05:41 PM

The bottle does mount right to the stand. So Overheads you need to have a decent heavy stand with counter weight... It's tough on bass cabs sometimes...I put it on a boom stand and tilt it to the side.

Vocals...You can mount it straight up since the Tube is in the body...It doesn't have to be upside down...But if you want it that way..You need a tall boom with another extension to point down.

I love most Soundelux mics...I haven't heard them all....I been wanting to check out the iFet7 and the E49....Now Fletcher is making me want it more....

Damn....I have enough bills as it is... mezed

Agno 11th December 2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faderjockey
Damn....I have enough bills as it is... mezed

You don't have to tell us anything about that..... that's apart of being a slut. kfhkh

"Man I want this mic so bad, but rent is due... hmmmm.... maybe I can...." The very process that runs through our minds..... HAHA

And to Fletcher... thanx.

pan60 11th December 2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher
DON'T SELL A GOT DAMN THING.

You have a quality tool in the Manley Gold Reference. You obviously purchased it because it fit with your sense of aesthetic. Even if you find a new love... be it the
Blue stuff or an E-49 or a whateverthefukk... don't sell tools that work for you to get other tools. Build a collection of tools.

A visual artist doesn't sell their red paint to buy blue paint... don't sell a quality piece of hardware to get a different quality piece of hardware. Somewhere down the road you're going to sit there kicking yourself that you sold ____ because it's the exact thing you need more than oxygen at the moment.

How do I know? I've made that mistake more than a few times and found myself in a world of regret every time I've done it... and with all due respect, I have a hell of a lot more tools at my disposal than most. I'm speaking from experience when I mention that I've found myself regretting selling something it's because it was a unique sounding tool [like the Manley Gold has a unique tone] and I really needed that specific texture for a project.

Of course I've been able to work around things like that... you've got to do what you've got to do to complete the gig to the best of your ability... but knowing that you once had the right tool for a job and you no longer have it because you sold it for ____ [which won't work nearly as well in the same application] is a total drag.

I'd recommend you "build a collection" of tools over time instead of playing 'hardware roulette' where you sell ___ to buy a ____ then sell that ____ to buy a ____ and a ____. Not nly do you lose money with every sale [most of the time] but you don't add depth and texture to your arsenal of tools.

Best of luck with what ever course you choose.

kfhkh
very good advise!
now if you hate the the Manley and know you will never use it, thats possibly a different story.
i say wip out the CC and just get the big blue bottle!
boing

Agno 11th December 2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pan60
kfhkh
very good advise!
now if you hate the the Manley and know you will never use it, thats possibly a different story.
i say wip out the CC and just get the big blue bottle!
boing

Sheit... I'm feeling real slutty..... I'm actually going through the process of how I can get both.....lol

Well... this seems to be the anomaly... being that I have yet to find a way to demo these badboys... Has anyone compared the Bottle to the E49?

burns46824 10th April 2016 02:47 AM

The Manley is quite similar to the Bottle with the B6 capsule...perhaps a lil' thinner. Might not be a bad thing. I'm talking about the Ref C, not the Gold Ref.