Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Ever see a really old AKG C414? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/50847-ever-see-really-old-akg-c414.html)

Rick Sutton 3rd December 2005 04:36 AM

Ever see a really old AKG C414?

1 Attachment(s)
I know that the vets here have seen and probably used some 414's with the CK12 brass capsules, but I'm sure that some of the younger guys have probably never seen what the original 414 looked like. rdaudio's post in the classifieds for a pair of "2nd generation" 414's with CK12's and how much he liked them on acoustic guitar reminded me how long it had been since I had used mine to record an acoustic....so today I had a session with acoustic and out came the old boys and WOW, I'd forgotten just how good they could be on a fine acoustic guitar.
FYI the one on the left is a 414 and the one on the right is a 412. I'm the original owner of each and no, not for sale.

Dan Kennedy 3rd December 2005 05:33 AM

Damn, that's nice, you slut!

Sqye 3rd December 2005 07:41 AM

I had 2 of those 414s stolen from my NYC studio about 4 years ago. They cut through a wall to get in. I'm still bummed. grimm

mixerguy 3rd December 2005 08:50 AM

Yeah - I've sen this type of old 414before, but I forget where..... and I'm in my 30's! (barely)

Deleted User 29th August 2006 06:22 PM

Early c414 comb

Hello, first post here. I have seen those types before. Infact I just bought 4 of them!! 2 of them have a female 6 pin connector with a diameter thats alittle bit larger than the standard XLR. The other 2 have standard male XLR connectors. However I do not have "Stand Adaptor" for any of them. To my knowledge the "Stand Adaptor" should have a male 6 pin on the microphone connecting end and an XLR on the other. So these mics really need the adaptors to be mounted. The serial # for the 6 pin mics are aprox 238 and 240. LOW!! They are very minty, I think perhaps because being a 6 pin connection they were used very little. The Other 2 are in the 2000's and only 3 numbers apart and are in excellent cond. So I'm looking for a male 6 pin a little bigger than XLR that coincide or the "Stand adaptor". I just dont want to modify these mics if I dont have to. These mics were also from Eastern Europe if that helps. The XLR ones sound fantastic by the way. CK12's and all. Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you.
Jim

mookshoe 23rd March 2009 11:12 AM

6 pin adaptors for the early C414

Hi Jim,

Not sure if you are still looking but are your mics the remote EB version as i have 2 remote units and 2 C414's that are also very early seriels #232 and #252 i think, the remote boxes are blue and i think they are called S41E, i say i think as i am at work and the mics are at home, and me and my business partner are thinking of selling most of our kit soon.

Cheers

Mark

Tomic 23rd March 2009 11:30 AM

when did the c414 first come out on the market?

mics 23rd March 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Kerr (Post 857393)
Hello, first post here. I have seen those types before. Infact I just bought 4 of them!! 2 of them have a female 6 pin connector with a diameter thats alittle bit larger than the standard XLR. The other 2 have standard male XLR connectors. However I do not have "Stand Adaptor" for any of them. To my knowledge the "Stand Adaptor" should have a male 6 pin on the microphone connecting end and an XLR on the other. So these mics really need the adaptors to be mounted. The serial # for the 6 pin mics are aprox 238 and 240. LOW!! They are very minty, I think perhaps because being a 6 pin connection they were used very little. The Other 2 are in the 2000's and only 3 numbers apart and are in excellent cond. So I'm looking for a male 6 pin a little bigger than XLR that coincide or the "Stand adaptor". I just dont want to modify these mics if I dont have to. These mics were also from Eastern Europe if that helps. The XLR ones sound fantastic by the way. CK12's and all. Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you.
Jim

hi jim, i have 2 stand mounts if you want to pm me. cheers.

johnnyjellybean 23rd March 2009 02:07 PM

Where's your C12A ? The REAL original 414! I had a matched pair and sold them in 2002 in a fit of stupidity for $3200. Excuse me while I go smack my head against the wall. Thanks for the memories.

HudHudson 23rd March 2009 02:25 PM

On a related subtopic, my C414 has a loose swivel on the mount and I can't tighten it so that the mic and the mount are aligned (the mic leans forward). May be a stripped screw. Any suggestions for repair?

Phil Cibley 23rd March 2009 03:28 PM

I used to do a lot of male V.O.s with a C414 in the '80s. Big and full.
A definite favorite of mine. My all silver C414EBs with brass capsule
aren't bad either. Love them on Piano.

Rick Sutton 23rd March 2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudHudson (Post 4024893)
On a related subtopic, my C414 has a loose swivel on the mount and I can't tighten it so that the mic and the mount are aligned (the mic leans forward). May be a stripped screw. Any suggestions for repair?

Hey Hud,
Don't know if this is your problem but here is what happened to mine. The screw only seems to thread in so far and as the rubber washers get old they harden and shrink which forces the screw to have to be over tightened to the point that it won't go any further and the mic won't maintain it's position. I went to a hardware store with the mount in hand and found new soft rubber washers that fit in snugly and that solved the problem.

Matti 23rd March 2009 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean (Post 4024860)
Where's your C12A ? The REAL original 414! I had a matched pair and sold them in 2002 in a fit of stupidity for $3200. Excuse me while I go smack my head against the wall. Thanks for the memories.

First AKG mic I´ve ever used, around -74.

Matti

HudHudson 23rd March 2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Sutton (Post 4025355)
Hey Hud,
Don't know if this is your problem but here is what happened to mine. The screw only seems to thread in so far and as the rubber washers get old they harden and shrink which forces the screw to have to be over tightened to the point that it won't go any further and the mic won't maintain it's position. I went to a hardware store with the mount in hand and found new soft rubber washers that fit in snugly and that solved the problem.

Thanks, Rick. I'll check it out when I get back to Austin (on vacation in MT), that sounds like a likely fix.

Led 24th March 2009 12:02 AM

I've got one of those, (ser1093) but the casing says "Made in Australia". Were they made here under license by someone? I can't even remember where I got it from.

Rick Sutton 24th March 2009 02:26 AM

Maybe someone added an extra "al" to it. Mine say made in Austria.
I have seen several with the Norelco logo on them.

Led 24th March 2009 05:33 AM

Hi Rick, I thought maybe I had misread it, called our assistant and he went and checked and it says........ Austria. Now I'm off to check my passport in case I came back to the wrong country...

Rick Sutton 24th March 2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 4027309)
Hi Rick, I thought maybe I had misread it, called our assistant and he went and checked and it says........ Austria. Now I'm off to check my passport in case I came back to the wrong country...

Hey Led! The devil is indeed in the details!!!jkthtyrt

mastermix 11th May 2010 07:20 PM

Bumping this one up with a question.

At my day gig we have three of these old school 414's from around 1972, and I use them often. Love their sound. One of the plastic tabs on the pattern select switch on one of them broke off last week when preparing for a session and it is now stuck in cardioid. Is there a readily available source for these switches, or a reputable repair contact?

Thanks

Drumsound 11th May 2010 07:46 PM

Is the only dif between the 414 and the 412 the lack of hyper pattern?

psycho_monkey 11th May 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastermix (Post 5392898)
Bumping this one up with a question.

At my day gig we have three of these old school 414's from around 1972, and I use them often. Love their sound. One of the plastic tabs on the pattern select switch on one of them broke off last week when preparing for a session and it is now stuck in cardioid. Is there a readily available source for these switches, or a reputable repair contact?

Thanks

Have you tried calling the AKG rep in your country? Almost certainly it's an easy thing for them to do. Sennheiser (UK distributor) had no issues replacing the switch in one of my 1975 KM84s.

WunderBro Flo 23rd February 2012 11:37 AM

Resurrecting this wonderful thread....
I am looking for one of those original C414 swivelmounts (the grey/silver, V-shaped thing that connects the micbody to the stand) as I have bought an original C414comb but the seller had lost the mount.

Does anybody have one for sale or knows some 414 owners who use the mics in shockmounts and might be willing to sell me one of the jobless swivelmounts?

Thanks slutz,
Flo

ps - my C414 comb was modded to XLR, it now has the same "stump" XLR output as the modern ones. I am not sure if that makes it incompatible with the swivel mounts. Anyone?

erwinor 23rd February 2012 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If mounting is your problem this is the solutionkfhkh

Here is mine

WunderBro Flo 23rd February 2012 02:11 PM

Thanks but I am looking for the swivel mount because I just like the look :)
Having said that....you have one and you do not need it as the rycote takes care of mounting :) wanna sell it to me?

Best,
Flo

teleharmonium 24th February 2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo (Post 7596637)
ps - my C414 comb was modded to XLR, it now has the same "stump" XLR output as the modern ones. I am not sure if that makes it incompatible with the swivel mounts. Anyone?

It wouldn't be directly compatible, that's for sure. As to whether it could be made compatible with further mods, that's hard to say and I wouldn't go down that road personally.

The swivel mount has a ring around the Cannon male 6 pin connector, this ring has threads on the outside. This is designed to connect to threads on the original base of the mic, and you turn the horizontal wheel that you see on the mount in order to attach the two together.

Without that (ie with no reciprocal threads on the mic because that part is gone), you may be able to modify the base to use an XLR female connector instead of the original connector... not sure if they are size compatible... if not, you may have to cut the hole larger, and then there would be the matters of securing the female connector at just the right height for it all to line up, and whether the base on the mic now fits the swivel base otherwise.

Even if you made all that work, without those threads connecting the mic to the swivel base, you would be relying only on the tension of the pins of the XLR connectors to hold the mic and base together. You'd have to somehow remove or disable the latch on the female XLR connector, because you would have no way to reach it once it is inside the swivel mount.

So I don't think going back to the original swivel mount is viable unless you have the correct original base and connector on the mic.

Alex Breaux 24th February 2012 07:54 PM

Hey Rick! Nice COMB's!! I wanted em! :D

kbshearer 24th February 2012 08:45 PM

For anyone who cares, this is the best chronology of the 414 history that I've seen:

Story of the AKG C414

Kirt Shearer

WunderBro Flo 26th February 2012 07:44 AM

Thanks Teleharmonium, this is very good stuff, all new to me!

estudiohighend 13th March 2013 02:50 PM

Hi folks!
I own one of these, serial number 415, aprox from 1972 i think, is a beautifull mic, no for all voices, it has more lows than new ones, i remember this from many years ago when i brought it.
But... Recently i've used in a drum session as OH center mic, and was amazing!
I use for electric guitarr too, complemented with a md441 for mids,
Very happy with it
Im thinking to buy mached pair of new ones

DeeZee 30th November 2014 12:32 AM

Resurrecting an old thread before opening up a new one…

Looking for one swivel mount/stand adaptor for one of my C414comb.
Anyone selling one at a reasonable price, pm me plz.
Thanks!