Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Mastering Forum (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/)
-   -   mastering...ISRC codes....Grace Note....Jam...etc (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/47699-mastering-isrc-codes-grace-note-jam-etc.html)

kudzu 3rd November 2005 05:42 PM

mastering...ISRC codes....Grace Note....Jam...etc

Now we all now how to embed and read ISRC codes using Roxio Jam software, etc....but I had a client phone me asking why she couldn't see the track titles/artist/album info when she played my mastered CD on her computer. I explained to her that she needs to be online, in iTunes and that the ISRC codes need to be registered with PPL/Grace Note in order for the info to appear. But it got me thinking....Some domestic CD players will display the track titles/artist/album info when u play a CD (I've seen it appear on some hi end Car hifis) and they're not on line ?????
When I embed the ISRC codes on a CD I'm mastering I always put the track title/artist/album info for each track....Is this data readable by certain CD players without them having to be online?????

Thots guys please

Bob Olhsson 3rd November 2005 05:54 PM

Yes, CD-text is a separate issue. The player and the player application both have to support CD Text. Most Sony players and many auto players support it. Beware that some plants strip CD text out unless you request it.

I'm not aware that the Internet databases use ISRCs. Wish they did!

kudzu 3rd November 2005 07:02 PM

I'm not aware that the Internet databases use ISRCs. Wish they did![/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Bob....it all makes sense now.....and yes ur right...as far as we know PPL (who register ISRC codes in the UK) don't give Grace Note the ISRC code info......So where do Grace Note get their info from I wonder ????

thots ?

Nutmeg II. 3rd November 2005 08:03 PM

Sad but true, GN uses the track count and time to identify the CD. wworried

thethrillfactor 3rd November 2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudzu
Now we all now how to embed and read ISRC codes using Roxio Jam software, etc....but I had a client phone me asking why she couldn't see the track titles/artist/album info when she played my mastered CD on her computer. I explained to her that she needs to be online, in iTunes and that the ISRC codes need to be registered with PPL/Grace Note in order for the info to appear. But it got me thinking....Some domestic CD players will display the track titles/artist/album info when u play a CD (I've seen it appear on some hi end Car hifis) and they're not on line ?????
When I embed the ISRC codes on a CD I'm mastering I always put the track title/artist/album info for each track....Is this data readable by certain CD players without them having to be online?????

Thots guys please

I normally input it for my clients on Itunes and audiograbber.

And yes only certain consumer CD players reads CD text.

chriscoleman 3rd November 2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I normally input it for my clients on Itunes and audiograbber.

SHHH! Don't tell EVERYONE!

It is pretty funny though to have iTunes recognize a one-off demo...clients are always impressed.

max cooper 4th November 2005 01:14 AM

I have an old friend who works for Gracenote CDDB. (CD database... get it?)

The way it works is that if you put a CD in and there's no data in their database, it prompts you for it. So if you're the first user to play that CD and you're connected to the system, you get the option of providing the data that everyone else is gonna see from then on.

We tried putting in some really, really obtuse stuff and it was already in there.

castle 4th November 2005 06:35 PM

I believe Gracenote works using waveform recognition and not ISRC codes... however, I recently recorded a talking book which was recognised by iTunes as a Hawkwind album, so it obviously doesn't work every time! mezed
Regarding the original question, how do you get Jam to READ ISRC codes?

kudzu 4th November 2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castle
I believe Gracenote works using waveform recognition and not ISRC codes... however, I recently recorded a talking book which was recognised by iTunes as a Hawkwind album, so it obviously doesn't work every time! mezed
Regarding the original question, how do you get Jam to READ ISRC codes?

To check any CD for ISRC codes...simplyput a CD into computer....double click on CD icon on desktop....pick any track....drop it into Jam....get info....hey presto...all the tracks' ISRC codes on the CD come up in a nice wee list....
bumpkin

castle 4th November 2005 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudzu
To check any CD for ISRC codes...simplyput a CD into computer....double click on CD icon on desktop....pick any track....drop it into Jam....get info....hey presto...all the tracks' ISRC codes on the CD come up in a nice wee list....
bumpkin

Well... you learn something new every day. I'm off to check out my entire CD collection's codes! freshflowe