Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Audiophile 2496??? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/47644-audiophile-2496-a.html)

gclef101 3rd November 2005 06:02 AM

Audiophile 2496???

Hi, new to forum:

I'm looking to buy an Audiophile 2496 PCI card to work with Protools M-Powered software. I've read the manual on it, and I still have a question about this cards output signal routing.

Q: My computer is a HP a824n and has a Realtek ALC 880 chipset on the motherboard as a primary sound I/O. I need the Audiophile 2496 for recording midi & Protools M-Powered, but the Audiophile doesn't have a headphone jack on it to plug into so I can hear my playbacks on it (can't afford studio monitors at this time) it only has coax L/R and S/PDIF I/O's on it. Can I still plug my headphones into the Realtek ALC 880 chipset headphones jack and hear my playbacks through the Realtek ALC 880 chipset, or do I need to use the S/PDIF or coax L/R outputs to a receiver and listen to the playback from the receiver?

I hope my question is clear and makes senses thanks!!!

George Necola 3rd November 2005 07:59 AM

I dont think it's possible.. btw. you should deactivate the onboard soundchip when using external cards..

buy a little mixer.. I think behringer starts at 70$.. I mean 4 channels or something.. or the Samson C-control should do the job too.. maybe only buy a headphoneamp..

that's also a possibility... good luck!

tINY 3rd November 2005 08:44 AM

If the coax are analog RCA jacks, then you can plug them right into any stereo with an aux-in, CD in, Tape-in and so on.

-tINY

mezmer 4th November 2005 02:38 AM

i've had a 2496 in my desktop for a while. and it's treated me really well. this was pre-recording days. i was sequencing audio w/ softsamplers in cubase so it was pretty much just an output except for sampling records/tv and the occassional mic input.

i used to run the i/o to the tape i/o on my old sansui amp. this way everything going into the amp [i had my mixer going into the aux in] could be recorded to my machine and with the flick of the switch i could monitor pre or post 2496 all without ever having to worry about repatching or feedback. i worked like this for a long way and probably got alot more done than i do now w/ my 8 track outboard setup. i was hardly a highend approach but it worked well for my, basically, non existant budget. hope this helps.

-ian

warhead 4th November 2005 05:13 AM

I agree with buying a small mixer if possible. But if I were you I'd skip the unbalanced 2496 and go for the Audiophile 192 for not much more dough.

War

gclef101 4th November 2005 07:04 AM

1st off I would like to say thanks for the input!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead
I agree with buying a small mixer if possible. But if I were you I'd skip the unbalanced 2496 and go for the Audiophile 192 for not much more dough.

War

Yeah I thought of buying that card than the 2496, but I've seen the sample rate and compared it to the 2496. I figured buying the AP 192 would be a waste, because my output receiver could only playback upto 24 bit/96khz sample rate. So I figured buying the AP 2496, because its output rate has the same capabilities, and I wouldn't be able to use the high definition quality of the AP 192, because the receiver that I would output the AP 2496 to only has 96khz capabilities(thought it would be a waste of an extra 40-50 bucks, for something I can't hear nor use).

The receiver I would be using is a Creative Labs Extigy, its pretty nice. But if there is any reason why I should still get the AP 192 than the 2496 plus feel free to explain, keep in mind that I would have to output it to a Creative Labs Extigy and I would be listening to my playback on Headphones!!!! Thanks thou!!!

P.S. Why is the AP 2496 unbalanced, and what does this mean?

nuway1 5th November 2005 04:53 AM

yo buy that 24/96, dont even think twice about it.... i ve been using it for years and it never gave me any problem, in regards to the headphones, all ull have to do is buy a connector that would hook up two mono RCA outs into a 1/4 or a 1/8 headphones....
and your build in card will no longer function once u intall the audiophile

warhead 5th November 2005 05:08 AM

Ah, if you're only using the SPDIF connection and can only run at 96k anyhow yes...buy the 2496. If you were using the analog ins and outs it would make more sense to pick up the 192.

War

gclef101 5th November 2005 05:48 PM

Thanks again everyone!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhead
Ah, if you're only using the SPDIF connection and can only run at 96k anyhow yes...buy the 2496. If you were using the analog ins and outs it would make more sense to pick up the 192.

War

I see what your saying, ok!!! I see said the blind man cooge ...

Also is there any other functions besides audio quality comparisson, that the 192 can do better or has more useful functions than the 2496??? I'm learning bare with me.

warhead 5th November 2005 07:13 PM

Balanced analog connections with converters that run up to 192k. Other than that they are both midi / spdif cards and since you're just using SPDIF you're not concerned about balanced analog i/o. There would be no real difference in performance for your needs. As far as "future proofing" yourself it's worth the extra though, should you decide to use the analog functions.

We actually just signed on with M-Audio so you may have to bare with me too! ;)

War